PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Woes

Okrastar1
01-01-2019, 04:16 PM
At what point do we look at the Intense Bastard and go, Hmmmm maybe this was a fail.... look at his hires, JOMO looks like a joke of a hire now. He will never have this much talent on defense as long as he is head coach at State ever again. Cannikeepitinmypantzo, another hire of massive failing proportions! THANK GOODNESS for Geatreau! At some point someone needs to evaluate Cohen!!!

Leeshouldveflanked
01-01-2019, 04:19 PM
We need to include Keenum in this as well.

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Think you are correct. We may need a total house cleaning.

Mobile Bay
01-01-2019, 04:26 PM
As of this writing we are the only school in the country with a top 25 team in football, Basketball, Women's Basketball, and Baseball. Firing Cohen would be stupid.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Think you are correct. We may need a total house cleaning.

So we are going to fire our President, after getting us to Tier 1 Research Institution status again, because we lost the Outback Bowl? OK.

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Cohen wasn't who Keenum wanted in that position and that's a fact.

Red Sox Dawg
01-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Some of y’all need to quit posting today. You can’t think rationally.

Okrastar1
01-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Some of y’all need to quit posting today. You can’t think rationally.

So let me just ask you, you truly believe that JOMO was a good hire? And that 8 wins for this team is celebratory? Just asking, because I saw a D that should have been competing for a Natty and a coach who looked lost and confused all day...

msudawg1200
01-01-2019, 04:47 PM
As of this writing we are the only school in the country with a top 25 team in football, Basketball, Women's Basketball, and Baseball. Firing Cohen would be stupid.

Well, next week we won’t be ranked in football, so there’s that.

Cooterpoot
01-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Anyone believing Moorhead should be fired is a damn fool.

Scared_Hitless
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
I mean Moorhead hired the staff that took the D from good to great. Is what it is sure sucks we lost but to say we will never have talent again is a joke. We are recruiting better this year than any year under Mullen. We need receivers and OL got half of that coming in.

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Anyone believing Moorhead should be fired is a damn fool.

And your reasoning is? You think he's done a good job this year?

Dawg2003
01-01-2019, 05:08 PM
There is a lot of pearl clutching going on today.

Cooterpoot
01-01-2019, 05:11 PM
And your reasoning is? You think he's done a good job this year?

He has to get his players. Had we won 5 games, it would be different. Our talent on offense other than a couple OL and RB is pretty terrible. I’ll give him time to get the players to match the scheme unless the wheels fall off. Plus, you want to lose Pickering etc? Be looking for a new coach leading up to signing day?

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 05:15 PM
He has to get his players. Had we won 5 games, it would be different. Our talent on offense other than a couple OL and RB is pretty terrible. I’ll give him time to get the players to match the scheme unless the wheels fall off. Plus, you want to lose Pickering etc? Be looking for a new coach leading up to signing day?

That's a reasonable response. I just don't see him being a good offensive coach. Hope I'm wrong.

Cooterpoot
01-01-2019, 05:20 PM
I’m not saying he’s great. I think he’s got a lot to improve on too. Coaching in this league is tough. Tougher than he thought I believe. He’s a smart guy. He’ll adjust. Hopefully it all gets better every year.

IMissJack
01-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Cohen wasn't who Keenum wanted in that position and that's a fact.

Who was?

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 05:29 PM
There were two others and that doesn't matter any more, both backed out and turned down interviews when the leak got out, but the one we got now got in thru the back door. It was some first class shitty MS politics.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:34 PM
That's a reasonable response. I just don't see him being a good offensive coach. Hope I'm wrong.

We hired him because he was a great OC. He may need to hire an OC, stop trying to call plays at the last second from the sidelines and be a HC. Time of course will tell.

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:35 PM
I?m not saying he?s great. I think he?s got a lot to improve on too. Coaching in this league is tough. Tougher than he thought I believe. He?s a smart guy. He?ll adjust. Hopefully it all gets better every year.

He wasn't coaching in "this league" today. I think he is out of his league.

MarketingBully
01-01-2019, 05:36 PM
You people calling for Cohen to be fired are idiots. Was this a disappointing season for what we had coming back? Sure but what could Moorhead do? His offense mandates a pass first DT QB and he had a run first abysmal passing QB. He never was comfortable calling a game to Fitz’s strengths and the only time it mattered was when we played stout defenses. Well Iowa had a stout defense. I’m just glad Fitz is gone and we have basically 4 star QBs on the roster. I think KT can become a good QB and we can mold him into a more accurate one. I’m for giving JoMo a chance to get his personnel in here so he can run his offense.

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 05:43 PM
You people calling for Cohen to be fired are idiots. Was this a disappointing season for what we had coming back? Sure but what could Moorhead do? His offense mandates a pass first DT QB and he had a run first abysmal passing QB. He never was comfortable calling a game to Fitz’s strengths and the only time it mattered was when we played stout defenses. Well Iowa had a stout defense. I’m just glad Fitz is gone and we have basically 4 star QBs on the roster. I think KT can become a good QB and we can mold him into a more accurate one. I’m for giving JoMo a chance to get his personnel in here so he can run his offense.

So you're willing to wait three or four years on Moorhead?

Goldendawg
01-01-2019, 05:45 PM

He could have tried match the O to the players, at least this year. This was not a rebuilding year. Many on this board and many writers stated he had more coming back than any other 1st year HC in the nation, just don't blow it. Well, he blew it against any team with a good D. He reminded me of stubborn Croom and Woody needing and demanding 4 or 5 years for the players to run a West Coast offense. It will take more than a couple of very highly rated recruiting classes where we out recruit the SEC big boys and yes non-stop cheating UM on 4 star offensive player to run this offense against good SEC D's.

Hambone
01-01-2019, 05:47 PM
You guys are some damn fools sometimes. Moorhead did fine. You guys act like we go 10-2 year end and year out. Yes, he inherited a very talented team but Dan Mullen didn?t win 10 with this team last year.

Cooterpoot
01-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Unless the wheels fall off, everyone should be.

Bully13
01-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Some of y?all need to quit posting today. You can?t think rationally.

This

deadheaddawg
01-01-2019, 05:53 PM
We lost the best QB coach in the country (Mullen) and the only QBs we have are not great QBs under most systems.

This season was set up to win big for Mullen.
But only Mullen. Youu can't lose a QB coach like Mullen and not expect a drop off at that position when your QB is Fitz.

Moorhead didn't have a great year, but he didn't have a year to fire him over.

He's done some good things and some bad things. I expected an 8-9 win season. That's what we got.

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Unless the wheels fall off, everyone should be.

That's the trick now isn't it? Historically after we underperform as a team and lose talent on one side of the ball we are pretty good at shitting the bed. Bellard, Jackie, etc. I hope this doesn't go that way but it has a very croomstastic feel to it. This staff will not have this defense to use as a crutch next year and if they lose more than 5 people will jump off the wagon in drovers. If they lose 6 or more it over.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-01-2019, 06:26 PM
So we are going to fire our President, after getting us to Tier 1 Research Institution status again, because we lost the Outback Bowl? OK.

Didn?t we lose the Tier 1 status under Keenum in the first place?

Okrastar1
01-01-2019, 07:44 PM
I guess what I’m trying to say is, We should be trying to take advantage of the opportunity that the shitbirds in Oxford have given us, yet we are content with giving it a few years and letting them make a comeback just to see if we can fit a scheme... seems dumb to me

Coursesuper
01-01-2019, 07:47 PM
I guess what I’m trying to say is, We should be trying to take advantage of the opportunity that the shitbirds in Oxford have given us, yet we are content with giving it a few years and letting them make a comeback just to see if we can fit a scheme... seems dumb to me

Excellent point, it looks like in true MSU fashion we are going to let another opportunity pass us by.

RezDog7
01-01-2019, 07:56 PM
So let me just ask you, you truly believe that JOMO was a good hire? And that 8 wins for this team is celebratory? Just asking, because I saw a D that should have been competing for a Natty and a coach who looked lost and confused all day...

Who would you have hired?

Okrastar1
01-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Who would you have hired?

How about someone who could be more than 1% less stubborn than Mullen was? I literally watched a coach shit away a season because he couldn’t formulate in his grandiose offensive mind that we are a team built for running, until he can get his players in there.(and by running I don’t mean the QB 96.75% of the time) That team you saw today I personally as most of you sitting in your recliners, could have coached to 7-8 wins. I mean damn surely I’m not the only one who sees this? What changes were made in this game today during it? I’ll wait.....

Also thank your D and special teams or this wouldn’t have even been remotely close! There is no sense of urgency on our sidelines in coaching. Watch the greats, they actually get fired up about something, he’ll anything for that matter!

RezDog7
01-01-2019, 08:42 PM
How about someone who could be more than 1% less stubborn than Mullen was? I literally watched a coach shit away a season because he couldn’t formulate in his grandiose offensive mind that we are a team built for running, until he can get his players in there.(and by running I don’t mean the QB 96.75% of the time) That team you saw today I personally as most of you sitting in your recliners, could have coached to 7-8 wins. I mean damn surely I’m not the only one who sees this? What changes were made in this game today during it? I’ll wait.....

Also thank your D and special teams or this wouldn’t have even been remotely close! There is no sense of urgency on our sidelines in coaching. Watch the greats, they actually get fired up about something, he’ll anything for that matter!

I wonder if Saban will be available after Bama loses to Clemson?

OSCAR
01-01-2019, 08:53 PM

You serious? I think Keenum and Cohen have done fantastic jobs. Sure JoMo may not work out, but it was a solid hire on paper. So is his baseball hire. If the next football coach fails then I think you can start to get your pitchforks out. It is way way too early for that now though.

Rick Danko
01-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Some of y?all need to take a break from the internet for a day or so. Good god, we lost a bowl game to a team that had intentions of beating us and accomplished it, and y?all now want to fire our AD and the damn President of the school. Shit, y?all are some crazy damn people

Red Sox Dawg
01-01-2019, 09:05 PM
The

I saw a really good defense, but if you think the offensive and special teams were good enough to compete for a Natty then I don’t know what to tell you. We were nowhere near that good on offense or special teams. That’s not Moorhead’s fault. He hasn’t had enough time to recruit players to run his offense yet. I don’t know if he will be able to recruit enough to win in the SEC West, nobody really ever has here. What doesn’t make sense is he couldn’t consistently call plays that our guys could run effectively, but it was obvious they can’t run his system yet. I think it’s talent, not coaching. But that’s my opinion. I don’t understand how anyone could look at our talent, especially on offense, and expect to win a Natty this year. We just weren’t that talented on offense. I think it’s way too early to know if Moorhead is a good hire. It’s also way too early to fire him. One winning season after one year isn’t a very good reason to fire him to me. The season may have been disappointing, but not enough to fire a coach after 1 year.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 09:08 PM

Barring a Hugh Freeze scandal or a dreadful 2 win season- yes.

He could have tried match the O to the players, at least this year. This was not a rebuilding year. Many on this board and many writers stated he had more coming back than any other 1st year HC in the nation, just don't blow it. Well, he blew it against any team with a good D. He reminded me of stubborn Croom and Woody needing and demanding 4 or 5 years for the players to run a West Coast offense. It will take more than a couple of very highly rated recruiting classes where we out recruit the SEC big boys and yes non-stop cheating UM on 4 star offensive player to run this offense against good SEC D's.

Coaches trying to run an offense that they aren't familiar with is even more of a recipe for disaster. I can't think of a coach that has tried to run something other than their system on the side of the ball that they coached.

We lost the best QB coach in the country (Mullen) and the only QBs we have are not great QBs under most systems.

But only Mullen. Youu can't lose a QB coach like Mullen and not expect a drop off at that position when your QB is Fitz.

He's done some good things and some bad things. I expected an 8-9 win season. That's what we got.

Lots of misremembering here. We just had a season that I would consider to be third best if Dan were still around behind 2010 and 2014. Dan's offense looked bad against Georgia and Auburn last year and then he choked against Bama. Also Fitz's stats were pretty close to what they were last year under Dan. And that was without playing a snap against Stephen F Austin which I'm sure would have passed his stats even more.

NCDawg
01-01-2019, 09:09 PM

That's what you expected. With the defense we had, a lot of fans expected more.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 09:14 PM

I wonder if expectations would have been so high if we knew that Kenrucky was going to have a dream season. I personally overestimated how much Forz would progress in the offseason. I first got worried when I found out that he was suspended. K-State confirmed that it would be more of an uphill struggle than I thought.

ScottH
01-01-2019, 10:21 PM
I?ll give him time to get the players to match the scheme unless the wheels fall off.

Not argumentative just curious, reasonably speaking, how long is that?

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 10:44 PM
You guys are some damn fools sometimes. Moorhead did fine. You guys act like we go 10-2 year end and year out. Yes, he inherited a very talented team but Dan Mullen didn?t win 10 with this team last year.

He did one better. He took a 4-7 Florida team and went 10-3 the following year.

Tbonewannabe
01-01-2019, 10:54 PM

But the defense was around 23rd last year. I don't think you could expect to have the #1 defense if Mullen stays. Our pass defense was greatly improved under Shoop.

You don't get to cherry pick and say that we should have the defense from this year with the schedule and offense from last year.

Tbonewannabe
01-01-2019, 10:56 PM
He did one better. He took a 4-7 Florida team and went 10-3 the following year.

He took a consistent top 15 recruiting class and actually had them play up to their potential. It isn't like UF didn't have talent, they won 9 and 10 games before that 4 win year.

Todd4State
01-01-2019, 11:28 PM
He took a consistent top 15 recruiting class and actually had them play up to their potential. It isn't like UF didn't have talent, they won 9 and 10 games before that 4 win year.

And they also lost to Kentucky and Georgia- like Dan would have done here. And then lost to Mizzou as well.

Belegal
01-01-2019, 11:56 PM
I seriously question 3 straight runs by the qb on the goal line - punt on forth & one @ midfield-& let the dang clock run out at the half with 10 seconds left &not do a Hail Mary- nothing to lose & don't give up dammit

Goldendawg
01-02-2019, 12:02 AM
I seriously question 3 straight runs by the qb on the goal line - punt on forth & one @ midfield-& let the dang clock run out at the half with 10 seconds left ? do a Hail Mary- nothing to lose & don't give up dammit

Texas just let the QB run it 4 times in a row inside the one from under center. So it goes.

ScottH
01-02-2019, 12:22 AM
Texas just let the QB run it 4 times in a row inside the one from under center. So it goes.

But they scored.

Belegal
01-02-2019, 12:30 AM
Why not line up Williams & hill & kick ass- this isn't rocket science- I missed my calling

Goldendawg
01-02-2019, 12:36 AM
But they scored.

From under center. We snapped it back 5 yards every snap, tried to make a great RPO read (maybe) and no guts to try on 4th with a great D leaving them looking at 99 yards when they get the ball back if they hold us.