PDA

View Full Version : Don Merlin and the SEC east

MaroonFlounder
12-31-2018, 07:43 PM
He totally made the best decision for himself. He was never gonna beat Bama. (Moorhead won't either though).

Mizzou just lost to a 6-6 Okie St team. S. Carolina got shut out by a 7-5 UVA team from a weak ACC (this year). Vandy lost to a 6-6 Baylor team.

I'm not sold on a TN resurgence.

UK this year was an extreme outlier for their program.

UGA has more talent than UF by far, but that is Merlin's only competition in the east. And Kirby made 2 of the biggest coaching goofs in college FB history this year.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 07:47 PM
Still got Georgia though. If I were Mullen, I'd be pushing for Michigan. I think an nfl team gets harbaugh. Michigan is a great spot for Mullen now that urban gone

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Still got Georgia though. If I were Mullen, I'd be pushing for Michigan. I think an nfl team gets harbaugh. Michigan is a great spot for Mullen now that urban gone

The weather's too lousy up there. Ann Arbor's a nice town, but neighboring Detroit is awful. I'd stay in Florida if I was him. Florida's a pretty good job.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 07:52 PM
The weather's too lousy up there. Ann Arbor's a nice town, but neighboring Detroit is awful. I'd stay in Florida if I was him. Florida's a pretty good job.

Mullen is a northern guy, not a thin skinned southerner like us haha

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2018, 07:54 PM
The SEC East is an abortion.

I really wish they would restructure this thing & make the sides more even.

The divisions aren't even history & they got rid of them in basketball. It's an easy fix

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 07:55 PM

Well, he left the New England though. :) Left about 12 or so years ago, more than 25% of his life. I'd stay South if I was him.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 07:59 PM
The SEC East is an abortion.

I really wish they would restructure this thing & make the sides more even.

The divisions aren't even history & they got rid of them in basketball. It's an easy fix

A few years ago though the East dominated, with Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. Now, Alabama dominates the West and the world, we're pretty good, and the East teams for the most part are down. It'll probably even out, but they gave the East a pretty bad team in Missouri and the West a pretty decent team in A&M. Going back to no divisions would be OK though.

RougeDawg
12-31-2018, 08:01 PM
Swapping auburn for Missouri would even them up a little. It would also allow them to preserve the Auburn Bama game. It would also bring back the Big 12, defense optional A&M Mizzou series.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 08:02 PM
Swapping auburn for Missouri would even them up a little. It would also allow them to preserve the Auburn Bama game. It would also bring back the Big 12, defense optional A&M Mizzou series.

Geography agrees too. Not a bad idea. I think it should be done for geography mostly though

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:07 PM

Wouldn't Bama have to lose Tennessee as a permanent East opponent if they did that? That's a big rivalry in normal years.

TUSK
12-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't Bama have to lose Tennessee as a permanent East opponent if they did that? That's a big rivalry in normal years.

Yep, and that's why that move won't happen...

Bothrops
12-31-2018, 08:12 PM
Mullen will beat Smart, at least some. They will make the East.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:13 PM

Unless -- the SEC adds one more conference game, which probably should happen.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 08:13 PM

Like 1 out of 5. Smart just recruits too well

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:14 PM

Mullen had a few bone-headed coaching decisions for us, but I don't think he would have faked a punt on 4th down, while leading the game, and on their side of the field. That was just unthinkable. He'll win his share against Georgia.

TUSK
12-31-2018, 08:20 PM
Unless -- the SEC adds one more conference game, which probably should happen.

MDL has been pimping that for a while now...

So, in Bammer's case, we'd add Mizzou as a perm. intra-divisional opponent & keep AU and UT as perm. inter-div.....?

Hmmmmmmm.... I can dig it.

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 08:28 PM
Mullen had a few bone-headed coaching decisions for us, but I don't think he would have faked a punt on 4th down, while leading the game, and on their side of the field. That was just unthinkable. He'll win his share against Georgia.

He did in AU game just before half n 2014. Almost swung momentum back to AU.

MetEdDawg
12-31-2018, 08:28 PM

Only chance it would have would be with expansion to 9 conference games and 2 permanent crossover opponents. And almost everyone thinks it would be a one permanent and rotate 2.

But that rivalry is definitely what will keep that change from ever happening.

TUSK
12-31-2018, 08:30 PM
Only chance it would have would be with expansion to 9 conference games and 2 permanent crossover opponents. And almost everyone thinks it would be a one permanent and rotate 2.

But that rivalry is definitely what will keep that change from ever happening.

Bama - Tennessee , AU
MSU - Kentucky , Florida
OM - Vandy , UGA
LSU - Florida , Vandy
A&M - UGA , SC
Mizzou - SC , Tennessee
Arkansas - AU , Kentucky

thoughts?

edit.... that's no good... Mizzou and UA have same schedule.... fixed it....

bulldawg28
12-31-2018, 08:32 PM
Like 1 out of 5. Smart just recruits too well

Mullen is going to beat GA on the regular. The talent in Florida is enough by itself.

Percho
12-31-2018, 08:32 PM

He's a rebel, won't be able to recruit in yankee land**

bulldawg28
12-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Bama - Tennessee , AU
MSU - Kentucky , Florida
OM - Vandy , UGA
LSU - Florida , Vandy
A&M - UGA , SC
Mizzou - AU , Tennessee
Arkansas - SC , Kentucky

thoughts?

Thoughts? Hell no. Swap it with SC and you have a deal

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2018, 08:35 PM
A few years ago though the East dominated, with Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. Now, Alabama dominates the West and the world, we're pretty good, and the East teams for the most part are down. It'll probably even out, but they gave the East a pretty bad team in Missouri and the West a pretty decent team in A&M. Going back to no divisions would be OK though.

A few years ago? You mean a decade+ ago, right?

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 08:36 PM
Bama - Tennessee , AU
MSU - Kentucky , Florida
OM - Vandy , UGA
LSU - Florida , Vandy
A&M - UGA , SC
Mizzou - SC , Tennessee
Arkansas - AU , Kentucky

thoughts?

Not bad.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:39 PM
A few years ago? You mean a decade+ ago, right?

Yes. A decade is "a few" in my lifetime. ;)

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 08:40 PM
Mullen is going to beat GA on the regular. The talent in Florida is enough by itself.

FL has 46 4* and above. Ga has 40. UGA can get almost all the ones in GA they want. FL has to compete for FL croots with FSU, Miami, UGA, AL, Tenn, etc.

Advantage UGA.

ETA: And there is no comparison between Kirby and Mullen when it comes to actually recruiting. Advantage UGA.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:40 PM
MDL has been pimping that for a while now...

So, in Bammer's case, we'd add Mizzou as a perm. intra-divisional opponent & keep AU and UT as perm. inter-div.....?

Hmmmmmmm.... I can dig it.

Nope. Add Georgia as permanent.

TUSK
12-31-2018, 08:44 PM
Nope. Add Georgia as permanent.

they already are, buddy....

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:45 PM
FL has 46 4* and above. Ga has 40. UGA can get almost all the ones in GA they want. FL has to compete for FL croots with FSU, Miami, UGA, AL, Tenn, etc.

Advantage UGA.

ETA: And there is no comparison between Kirby and Mullen when it comes to actually recruiting. Advantage UGA.

Georgia has over 10M people. Florida has 20M, but as you said, they have 3 major football schools plus the outsiders to compete with. Georgia has no competition except the outsiders.

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Georgia has over 10M people. Florida has 20M, but as you said, they have 3 major football schools plus the outsiders to compete with. Georgia has no competition except the outsiders.

Half the 20M in FL probably old retirees from Michigan and the likes.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:47 PM
they already are, buddy....

Well, then we need to leave it like it is. :) In addition, Bama gets no cupcakes. They have to play Michigan, Ohio State, etc. every year. **

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:47 PM
Half the 20M in FL probably old retirees from Michigan and the likes.

At least half, so no kids. That makes Florida recruiting even harder in-state.

MaroonFlounder
12-31-2018, 08:56 PM
Going back to no divisions would be OK though.

Wouldn't that kill the SEC championship game?

MaroonFlounder
12-31-2018, 09:04 PM

I think Merlin is overall a better play-caller than Kirby....when he has his testicles attached. He choked against Bama '17. A few plays in Aub '14 were head-scratchers. And I can't stand the fact that on 3rd or 4th and one, both Merlin and Moorhead run Shotgun, which kills you against Bama and the better defenses in the SEC making a handoff or QB power from 5 yards into the backfield. Stupid. Have an under-center offensive set for short yardage. That alone could have extended drives vs Bama 2 years in a row.

Pit Bull
12-31-2018, 09:49 PM
Well, he left the New England though. :) Left about 12 or so years ago, more than 25% of his life. I'd stay South if I was him.

Most northerners move south especially to lower Florida and N.Carolina to get away from the heavy winter snow. They never go back. I haven't heard a southern accent in lower Florida in over 20 years. Yankees and Hispanics have taken over the entire state minus the panhandle......and they are working on buying it up too. Half my family is from El Paso. My aunt told me they are all moving to Dallas. Said El Paso was 90% Hispanic and still being overrun at the border every day.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2018, 09:57 PM
Some of y'all's heads are going to explode when Mullen wins the SEC at Florida. He WILL win the SEC there.

MaroonFlounder
12-31-2018, 10:35 PM
Some of y'all's heads are going to explode when Mullen wins the SEC at Florida. He WILL win the SEC there.

He should, as bad as the East teams are. No head explosion here. If Grantham stays, and he does what I think he will do with the Emery kid at QB.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 10:38 PM

Maybe. Only spurrier and urban are the only 2 coaches to ever do it there though, I think. That's 2 of the best coaches ever

LC Dawg
12-31-2018, 10:45 PM

Maybe. It won't happen until Saban retires. Mullen will have to win enough to keep Florida fans happy until that happens.

Commercecomet24
12-31-2018, 10:46 PM
Maybe. It won't happen until Saban retires. Mullen will have to win enough to keep Florida fans happy until that happens.

This is it in a nutshell.

MetEdDawg
12-31-2018, 10:53 PM
Bama - Tennessee , AU
MSU - Kentucky , Florida
OM - Vandy , UGA
LSU - Florida , Vandy
A&M - UGA , SC
Mizzou - SC , Tennessee
Arkansas - AU , Kentucky

thoughts?

I see what you did there with us and Florida. Well played. I actually like it. Think having 2 permanent rivals in the SEC would continue to increase the allure of the SEC. would develop new long standing rivalries. Us and Florida with the Mullen narrative would get us added press. But across the board that's gonna help the conference create some newness. I think 9 games will be tough to happen because I don't think the conference brass want it.

RougeDawg
12-31-2018, 11:06 PM

Yea. Forgot about that. Tenn has been so irrelevant I forgot about that game.

Why not go to 9 conference games and 3 other Power 5 regular season games. Or expand to 16 game playoffs with a
NFL type structure among the power 4 conferences(go from 5 to 4). Take all of the division and/or conference winners. Then pick the remaining teams at large

TUSK
12-31-2018, 11:14 PM
I see what you did there with us and Florida. Well played. I actually like it. Think having 2 permanent rivals in the SEC would continue to increase the allure of the SEC. would develop new long standing rivalries. Us and Florida with the Mullen narrative would get us added press. But across the board that's gonna help the conference create some newness. I think 9 games will be tough to happen because I don't think the conference brass want it.

I can tell you within a vote (or two) how that "9 game conference schedule" vote will go....

1-13

Gutter Cobreh
12-31-2018, 11:17 PM
Mullen's class this year ranks lower then McElwain's last two before he was fired. If recruiting rankings are correct and he doesn't pull any rabbits out of his hat on signing day, this past year (in theory) would be Mullen's most talented team.

If he couldn't "coach" them up with his talent this year, why if he's not recruiting at a higher level would you think he would have a chance in future years? His ceiling is and will be 9-10 wins.

Also, didn't FL's last two coaches take them to the SEC Championship game and still get canned?

He's a good enough coach that can produce enough offense to stay a few years, but I don't know if he has the recruiting chops to pull together enough talent to win it. God help him if Grantham leaves. He's toast at that point as I don't think he'll find a suitable replacement that he trusts and not meddle with.

DownwardDawg
12-31-2018, 11:28 PM

Hahaha!!!!! That?s a good one. ****

DownwardDawg
12-31-2018, 11:31 PM
He should, as bad as the East teams are. No head explosion here. If Grantham stays, and he does what I think he will do with the Emery kid at QB.

If he doesn?t, then he sucks much worse than we thought. A decent coach should win the Sec coaching at Florida in today?s SEC East.

TimberBeast
01-01-2019, 03:14 AM

Yeah he?s never done anything like that ***************

BhamDawg205
01-01-2019, 03:47 AM

That game hasn't been a rivalry in like 10+ years... More of an in season scrimmage. Scrap that garbage azz game and fix this lopsided mess. Each side would have would have 3 yearly contenders. Plus AU and UA preserves the rivalry.

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 06:21 AM
Mullen just won 10 games with a team that was supposed to win 6-7. He's going to win the East and have talent to win the entire SEC. Florida kids are not memorised by Alabama. It's similar to GA kids.
Some of you haven't met athletes from florida. They believe they are the best in the world. I'm talking pure confidence. As Mullen keeps winning those kids are going to stay in Florida, just watch. Mullen will win big in Florida.

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 06:28 AM
If he doesn?t, then he sucks much worse than we thought. A decent coach should win the Sec coaching at Florida in today?s SEC East.

He was 1 game away with an inherited Qb. Bro, you can take the maroon glasses off. He's the real deal and the main reason we have football success now at MSU.

bobcat91
01-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Someone want to remind me what Dan's record is in top 25 games? Mullen will forever be Kirby's bitch.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Someone want to remind me what Dan's record is in top 25 games? Mullen will forever be Kirby's bitch.

3-2 this year. We were 1-3 this year BTW.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Dan is going to do great at Florida. I'm not sure he'll ever have enough talent to win a natty there with his style of offense, but I fully expect him to make a few SEC Championship games.

However, that has nothing to do with us.

When Dan took over at MSU, there were 10 miles between us & the Florida program & now there is only 1.5 miles or so. Point is, let's just worry about us. Let's continue to build our program, continue to go to bowl games, & continue to close the gap between us & the other top SEC teams not named Bama.

Dan did a great job at MSU because he is an outstanding coach. That has nothing to do with what will happen to MSU in the future.

Gutter Cobreh
01-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Mullen just won 10 games with a team that was supposed to win 6-7. He's going to win the East and have talent to win the entire SEC. Florida kids are not memorised by Alabama. It's similar to GA kids.
Some of you haven't met athletes from florida. They believe they are the best in the world. I'm talking pure confidence. As Mullen keeps winning those kids are going to stay in Florida, just watch. Mullen will win big in Florida.

It appears that you haven't done any research, so would you care to take a look at the FL state rankings and tell us how far down you have to go before you find a FL kid that is committed to play for UF?

Hint - so far he missed on the top 17 kids in the state, but has a chance at the kid ranked #8.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2019, 10:36 AM
Hint - so far he missed on the top 17 kids in the state, but has a chance at the kid ranked #8.

My goodness. I'd pull my hair out if that were us.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Nothing new in Florida, since 2015, only 5 players in the top 5 (5/25) have stayed in state (counting FSU, Florida, and Miami).

bulldawg28
01-01-2019, 11:25 AM
It appears that you haven't done any research, so would you care to take a look at the FL state rankings and tell us how far down you have to go before you find a FL kid that is committed to play for UF?

Half of his signed class are from the state of Florida. Also, over half are 4* players. WTH does going down a list have to do with anything? He targeted the instate talent at State. He will build it at Florida as well. His 1st year record is a 10 game winning season. He's winning at Florida broham. No need to hate him.