PDA

View Full Version : Let's make Bowl games relevant again.

coastratdog
12-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Does anyone really want to watch the championship game? I'm already bored thinking about it. Clemson and Bama...again. The system needs a shake up. New blood. The system needs some drama and mystic added to the selection of the top two teams. So here is my take. Kind of a "been there...done that" with a twist.

P5 conferences with their old bowl tie in. The conference must have a championship game and the winner, regardless of their ranking or record gets the bowl game.

Cotton - Big 12
Sugar - SEC
Orange - B10
Rose - PAC 12
Chik- ACC
Fiesta - Ind/other non P5

The opponents would be the other non champion ranked teams. After the bowl games let the coaches, sports writers and computers come up with the top two teams to play for the championship. So if an undefeated Bama slips up and gets beat by GA in the championship game they can still go to a top tier bowl. Bama beats that team and then can get back into the championship game discussion. Not prefect but more exciting to watch.

IMissJack
12-31-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm all for making the bowls relevant again. I miss the way I used to feel about New Year's day morning. But, I'm afraid as long as writers of any kind have a vote on the potential championship, ND, Mich, OSU, Penn St. will get the votes from them. It was absolutely an advantage for Bama to lose to Auburn last year. They did not have to play in the SEC Championship game, got extra time off to get everyone healthy, then made a run to the title. The non conference champion should not get that benefit.

Quaoarsking
12-31-2018, 01:36 PM
I propose:

8-team playoff
Beyond that are 12 more bowls and that's it. Each conference champion gets a bowl, and the rest are done by rankings, so if you're top 25 or have a good case to be top 25 you'll get a bowl. The rankings would be done by a public, mathematically valid formula that armchair statisticians would be free to run themselves as a check to make sure they're right. (Something only 1 of the 6 BCS "computer rankings" allowed)

BUT any other team can set up their own game in December so everybody gets the extra practices and extra games. But the rest of them aren't considered to be bowls, just a 13th game, so it would go back to it being a big deal to get a bowl again.

Jackie would have had us in a bowl in 1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, and 2000. Croom would have never had us in a bowl, Mullen would have had us in one in 2010, 2012 (maybe), 2014, 2015, and 2017, and Moorhead this year. But we would have gotten the 13th game against a similar quality team every year.

CadaverDawg
12-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Why must there be Bowl tie ins? Why not rank the bowls every year, and have 5 vs 6 in a bowl, 7 vs 8, 9 vs 10, etc....then finish it with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, with the winners playing in a Title game like now? To me, the CFP is fine...it's the "tie in's" that ruin the bowl games nowadays, because you end up with #13 facing an unranked team in a bowl that everyone knows the outcome. Let's see how everyone stacks up with the teams at their level

TUSK
12-31-2018, 01:47 PM
Does anyone really want to watch the championship game? I'm already bored thinking about it. Clemson and Bama...again. The system needs a shake up. New blood. The system needs some drama and mystic added to the selection of the top two teams. So here is my take. Kind of a "been there...done that" with a twist.

P5 conferences with their old bowl tie in. The conference must have a championship game and the winner, regardless of their ranking or record gets the bowl game.

Cotton - Big 12
Sugar - SEC
Orange - B10
Rose - PAC 12
Chik- ACC

The opponents would be the other non champion ranked teams. After the bowl games let the coaches, sports writers and computers come up with the top two teams to play for the championship. So if an undefeated Bama slips up and gets beat by GA in the championship game they can still go to a top tier bowl. Bama beats that team and then can get back into the championship game discussion. Not prefect but more exciting to watch.

3 N. Dame 8 UCF

Cotton - Big 12
4 Oklahoma 7 Michigan

Sugar - SEC
5 Georgia 12 Penn St.

Orange - B10
6 Ohio State 10 Florida

Rose - PAC 12
9 Washington 11 LSU

Chik- ACC
20 Syracuse 13 Washington St.

coastratdog
12-31-2018, 02:05 PM
3 N. Dame 8 UCF

Cotton - Big 12
4 Oklahoma 7 Michigan

Sugar - SEC
5 Georgia 12 Penn St.

Orange - B10
6 Ohio State 10 Florida

Rose - PAC 12
9 Washington 11 LSU

Chik- ACC
20 Syracuse 13 Washington St.

Sugar - 1. Bama
Cotton- 4. OU
Fiesta - 3. ND
Orange - 6. OSU
Chic - 2. Clemson
Rose- 9. Wash.

So GA, Mich, UCF, Fl, LSU all get a chance to play in these bowls and get back to the dance. Not perfect but more fun to watch.

TUSK
12-31-2018, 02:29 PM
Sugar - 1. Bama
Cotton- 4. OU
Fiesta - 3. ND
Orange - 6. OSU
Chic - 2. Clemson
Rose- 9. Wash.

So GA, Mich, UCF, Fl, LSU all get a chance to play in these bowls and get back to the dance. Not perfect but more fun to watch.

Ah, I misunderstood...

TUSK
12-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Why must there be Bowl tie ins? Why not rank the bowls every year, and have 5 vs 6 in a bowl, 7 vs 8, 9 vs 10, etc....then finish it with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, with the winners playing in a Title game like now? To me, the CFP is fine...it's the "tie in's" that ruin the bowl games nowadays, because you end up with #13 facing an unranked team in a bowl that everyone knows the outcome. Let's see how everyone stacks up with the teams at their level

Yup, screw bowl "tie-ins" if you want the best football possible... To a lesser extent, the same goes for automatic bids for conference champs...

starkvegasdawg
12-31-2018, 04:24 PM

This all day. And rotate which bowls get what teams. This gets teams the chance to play in various locations and gives traditionally low tier bowls the chance to host marquis teams.

Lance Harbor
12-31-2018, 04:28 PM
16 Team playoff. All you need.

Cotton - Big 12
Sugar - SEC
Orange - B10
Rose - PAC 12
Chik- ACC

drunkernhelldawg
12-31-2018, 07:07 PM
If college football can't figure out a way to make the sport competitive, more and more people will lose interest.However I am enjoying the Liberty Bowl right now. Overall though, I hardly even remember that a bowl game is being played. I certainly have little interest in a championship game with the same teams I've been seeing for several season.

Dawg2003
12-31-2018, 07:26 PM
Because there are so many bowls, the value of being in a bowl is degraded. Limiting the number of bowls could help but will never happen because bowls make money.

IMissJack
12-31-2018, 09:24 PM
If college football can't figure out a way to make the sport competitive, more and more people will lose interest.However I am enjoying the Liberty Bowl right now. Overall though, I hardly even remember that a bowl game is being played. I certainly have little interest in a championship game with the same teams I've been seeing for several season.

There really needs to be more inter conference games between big time teams. I'm looking forward to UGA and UT in the Sugar just because of the teams involved.

I'm talking about regular season games.

deadheaddawg
01-01-2019, 12:18 AM
Only a couple of bowls a year were ever "relevant"

The playoffs have had zero impact on the importance of most bowls.

The liberty bowl I just as important and relative as it ever was

The outback bowl is just as important as it has ever been

TimberBeast
01-01-2019, 03:10 AM
This is simple, remove about 8 or 10 bowl games. That’s pretty much it.

IMissJack
01-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Only a couple of bowls a year were ever "relevant"

The playoffs have had zero impact on the importance of most bowls.

The liberty bowl I just as important and relative as it ever was

The outback bowl is just as important as it has ever been

This is true, however with fewer bowls in the past, most teams went to bowls less frequently, so they seemed special.

Plus the bowls seemed to have more competitive matchups because they took best available teams.