12-31-2018, 09:57 AM
Coaches gone so far:

Van Joseph - Broncos
Todd Bowles - Jets
Steve Wilks - Cardinals
Dirk Koetter - Bucs
Adam Gase - Dolphins
Marvin Lewis - Bengals

Add in McCarthy and Hue Jackson you have 8 NFL teams looking for a new HC. That's 25%. Lot of folks think Gase could end up in Green Bay

msstate7
12-31-2018, 10:00 AM
With DK being fired, temple should go get Todd monken. Not sure manny Diaz could pull it off, but I'd call monken too

msstate7
12-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Gotta figure saints will lose Dennis Allen and/or Pete Carmichael

msbulldog
12-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Gotta figure saints will lose Dennis Allen and/or Pete Carmichael

Pay Dennis Allen! WHO DAT! HAIL STATE!!

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2018, 10:23 AM
I find Black Monday in the NFL funny many times.

It's always amazing to me how many of these coaches, with bad records, but absolutely atrocious QBs get fired when it's the GM that should be getting fired instead.

You cannot win in the NFL with below average to poor QB play, yet guys like Vance Joseph get let go every year. Impossible situation when you don't have a capable QB

msstate7
12-31-2018, 10:31 AM

It's always amazing to me how many of these coaches, with bad records, but absolutely atrocious QBs get fired when it's the GM that should be getting fired instead.

You cannot win in the NFL with below average to poor QB play, yet guys like Vance Joseph get let go every year. Impossible situation when you don't have a capable QB

I love mayfield, but you can't lose to him at home with playoffs still in sight. Then the next week the broncos straight up quit vs raiders.

MetEdDawg
12-31-2018, 10:34 AM

Steve Wilks is the one that really doesn't make sense. Had to make a change to a rookie QB that wasn't ready yet. Started the year with Bradford who was alreadyba bad option. Then forced to go with Rosen. They have not good weapons, bad in the trenches, and in the same division as the Rams and Seahawks.

But he only got 1 year. NFL teams are making it impossible for guys to establish anything. That's why you see a lot of teams asking permission to speak to guys that have been HCs and been fired before.

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 11:14 AM
I saw where Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern's coach is probably interviewing with the Packers. A lot of smoke around Lincoln Riley possibly going to the NFL.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2018, 11:19 AM
I wish the Steelers would fire Mike Tomlin

msstate7
12-31-2018, 11:23 AM
I wish the Steelers would fire Mike Tomlin

That would be very bad optics. I'm not sure how great a coach he is, but the front office didn't get Tomlin's 1st or 2nd best player (bell) on the field.

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 11:28 AM
That would be very bad optics. I'm not sure how great a coach he is, but the front office didn't get Tomlin's 1st or 2nd best player (bell) on the field.

Exactly, Tomlin is a good coach. A lot of teams take a big step back if they lose a guy who touches the ball 400 times. Steelers basically lost their best RB and 3rd best WR with Bell sitting out.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2018, 11:31 AM

Bell's backup still made the pro bowl. The extra production Bell would have produced probably wouldn't have been enough to put them over the top. He has probably the best receiver tandem in the NFL with a hall of fame QB. He is constantly unprepared for must win games against inferior opponents (See Raiders and Broncos this year).

msstate7
12-31-2018, 11:38 AM
Bell's backup still made the pro bowl. The extra production Bell would have produced probably wouldn't have been enough to put them over the top. He has probably the best receiver tandem in the NFL with a hall of fame QB. He is constantly unprepared for must win games against inferior opponents (See Raiders and Broncos this year).

Conner ain't bell. I do agree that the Steelers have outstanding WRs and should've made playoffs.

MetEdDawg
12-31-2018, 12:51 PM

Here's the thing. Game 1 against the Browns where they tied is where he would have made the biggest impact by actually being there and not distracting the team with his absence. Steelers lost 4 games by 5 points or less. But Bell being present means they most likely don't lose to a team like the Raiders.

9-6-1 isn't bad, especially when you have to play the Chiefs and Chargers and Saints in the same year.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-31-2018, 12:58 PM
Here's the thing. Game 1 against the Browns where they tied is where he would have made the biggest impact by actually being there and not distracting the team with his absence. Steelers lost 4 games by 5 points or less. But Bell being present means they most likely don't lose to a team like the Raiders.

9-6-1 isn't bad, especially when you have to play the Chiefs and Chargers and Saints in the same year.

He also called an idiotic fake punt in his own territory against the Saints that likely cost them the game. I know hes not getting fired, i just think he is a very mediocre coach.

CadaverDawg
12-31-2018, 01:00 PM
I think it's so dumb how these coaches that get fired will immediately get rehired. The recycling of NFL coaches is silly, especially when you see what these young guys are doing in the league. The Rams, Bears, etc have the right idea...which is why I think guys like Riley are getting mentioned a lot this year.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 01:11 PM
Wonder if anyone will interview dabo.

Irondawg
12-31-2018, 01:34 PM
With Arizona I'm hoping it's just a case of realizing he's not the right guy for the job which happens sometimes. Remember reading Ron Wolf's book and talked about how they hired Ray Rhodes after Holmgren left and they realized pretty early in the season that he just wasn't the right guy and so even though they went 8-8 they fired him.

We all know it happens sometimes (see Peter Sirmon, Croom).

MetEdDawg
12-31-2018, 02:15 PM
Falcons fire Sarkisian, their DC, and their ST coach. Big changes coming in Atlanta

somebodyshotmypaw
12-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Bengals didn't give Marvin Lewis enough time to build a winner **

parabrave
12-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Wonder if anyone will interview dabo.

Naw Saban is still coaching Bama. Sabo is the reason why coaches have to have more than 4 years. They wanted to run Dabo out of the State of SC fter year 2. Then he turned it around. And Clemson is known for keeping coaches for a long time.

MetEdDawg
12-31-2018, 03:03 PM
Jets requested to speak to Iowa State's Matt Campbell. Campbell declined to even speak to them. Not a good day if you are a pro team and reach out to the head coach of Iowa State and can't even get an interview.

parabrave
12-31-2018, 03:16 PM
Jets requested to speak to Iowa State's Matt Campbell. Campbell declined to even speak to them. Not a good day if you are a pro team and reach out to the head coach of Iowa State and can't even get an interview.

Who in the heck would want to coach the Jets unless you get a huge contract with a big buyout.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Who in the heck would want to coach the Jets unless you get a huge contract with a big buyout.

Campbell may be eyeing Michigan and Oklahoma jobs. I think it's a decent chance one or both open. Jets need to get harbaugh.

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 03:39 PM
Falcons fire Sarkisian, their DC, and their ST coach. Big changes coming in Atlanta

Quote I saw was Quinn wanted to be aggressive and physical in every phase and that didn't happen all of the time. I liked Marquand as DC, he had a shitload of injuries to deal with although Quinn is taking over as DC so we will see how that works out. How many NFL head coaches actually are OC or DC? Pederson at Philly and McVay at LA Rams?

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 03:40 PM
Campbell may be eyeing Michigan and Oklahoma jobs. I think it's a decent chance one or both open. Jets need to get harbaugh.

Seems a lot of smoke around Riley going to the NFL.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 03:47 PM
Seems a lot of smoke around Riley going to the NFL.

That wouldn't be surprising. He's young and will be around a long time.

SapperDawg
12-31-2018, 03:50 PM
Does the thrashing ND took in the playoff push Brian Kelly to the NFL? He is an offensive guy, which seems to be what most of the teams with a young QB are going for this year.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 03:52 PM
I've always thought mark dantonio would make a good pro coach. He's not a good recruiter, but he can coach.