PDA

View Full Version : Dabo says Notre Dame toughest opponent they have played

Sienfield
12-31-2018, 08:35 AM
I call BS on that. I can think of three tougher games off hand, especially A & M.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Clemson would've blown out (10 or more) all but 2 sec teams Saturday night.

MetEdDawg
12-31-2018, 08:41 AM
I call BS on that. I can think of three tougher games off hand, especially A & M.

He's probably right. They may have played in closer games, but that doesn't mean the opponent was tougher. But if he beat his toughest opponent by 27, that's basically him calling out the ACC as garbage.

Sienfield
12-31-2018, 08:43 AM
Well, what makes ND tougher then. They looked like conference USA Saturday.

Sienfield
12-31-2018, 08:44 AM

What's your point? They didn't blow out A &M.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 08:46 AM
What's your point? They didn't blow out A &M.

They've made a change at a very important position since then. You notice that ugly white kid throwing the ball? He ok

Sienfield
12-31-2018, 08:49 AM
They've made a change at a very important position since then. You notice that ugly white kid throwing the ball? He ok

How did he effect ND's 3 point offense Saturday?

GreenheadDawg
12-31-2018, 09:22 AM

Lol. Yeh he’s ugly but kinda decent at QB. Incredible ball placement and decision making for a freshman

Recreationalgynecologist
12-31-2018, 09:50 AM

I agree. Not only do they have a very active defense but they have a good QB with excellent WRs, much like Alabama. 99% of the teams in the country do not have what Alabama or Clemson can bring to the table right now. The Big 12 is full of teams that can move the ball at will against most teams, but lack defensive capabilities. Iowa and MSU both have strong defenses but have some weaknesses on offense, especially in the passing game. Clemson and Alabama can hurt you through the air, on the ground or stifle you with defense. Everyone talks about Alabama's defense but how many impact WRs do they current have in the NFL? The Falcons have a couple of them

Recreationalgynecologist
12-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Well, what makes ND tougher then. They looked like conference USA Saturday.

One game doesn't define a team. Notre Dame didn't play well offensively and that obviously hurt their defense as the game went on. Still impressed with the ability of Clemson's QB to drive that ball downfield accurately though.

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 11:10 AM
I agree. Not only do they have a very active defense but they have a good QB with excellent WRs, much like Alabama. 99% of the teams in the country do not have what Alabama or Clemson can bring to the table right now. The Big 12 is full of teams that can move the ball at will against most teams, but lack defensive capabilities. Iowa and MSU both have strong defenses but have some weaknesses on offense, especially in the passing game. Clemson and Alabama can hurt you through the air, on the ground or stifle you with defense. Everyone talks about Alabama's defense but how many impact WRs do they current have in the NFL? The Falcons have a couple of them

Bama's WRs don't get talked about enough. There aren't many WR groups that are better and now they are deeper than they used to be. With Julio, Cooper, and Ridley they just threw it to one guy over and over but I think they have a couple of guys that are almost at that level. They just distribute the ball more than they used to. Judy will probably be another Pro Bowl level receiver in the NFL.

Saban is a great coach but he gets the best talent every year. He is probably the greatest recruiter in college football history but not the best coach. When I think of great coaches, it is the type of guy that could take yours and beat his own team. I don't think Saban is that type, he is more of a Calipari type coach but doesn't have to worry about one and done. He rarely has to worry about playing a team that is even close to his in talent which is why he didn't do as well in the NFL.

Quaoarsking
12-31-2018, 11:25 AM
He was probably just being polite, right?

Sienfield
12-31-2018, 11:26 AM
One game doesn't define a team. Notre Dame didn't play well offensively and that obviously hurt their defense as the game went on. Still impressed with the ability of Clemson's QB to drive that ball downfield accurately though.

What about two games then? They barely beat Vandy. What about other games? They barely beat Ball State and USC.

I just don't see how Dabo considered them the toughest team Clemson played. A & M played them a better game for sure and even South Carolina played them tougher.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-31-2018, 11:34 AM
What about two games then? They barely beat Vandy. What about other games? They barely beat Ball State and USC.

I just don't see how Dabo considered them the toughest team Clemson played. A & M played them a better game for sure and even South Carolina played them tougher.

I'm not a big believe in the transitive property when it comes to college football. South Carolina didn't look very good in their bowl game either, so what does that say? Plus the South Carolina/Clemson game was a rivalry game and I'd just throw most things out the window when it comes to that sort of thing. Notre Dame beat everyone on their schedule and there were quite a few bowl teams on that schedule. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt there and they did travel quite a bit as well.

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 11:36 AM
He was probably just being polite, right?

Probably just politicking for Notre Dame next year since it is an easier win than someone like UGA or even Ohio St. I realize Ohio St lost to a Purdue team but OSU is very Jekyl and Hyde. You don't know if you are playing the team who got blow out at Purdue or the team that blew out Michigan. Saying that, UGA is probably the 3rd best team in the country.

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 11:37 AM

I'd like to play them. I think we'd do pretty good. Certainly don't think they'd blow us out.

ETA: You're just saying this cause you were a dummy and picked ND & the points LOL ***

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 11:40 AM

ND sucks. They may be a top 15 team barely, if they're lucky.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 11:40 AM
I'd like to play them. I think we'd do pretty good. Certainly don't think they'd blow us out.

ETA: You're just saying this cause you were a dummy and picked ND & the points LOL ***

We lost to Kentucky, LSU, and Florida. 2 of those losses were by 16+. None of those teams are close to Clemson. Y'all have let beating the snot out of ark and om go to your heads

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 11:42 AM
We lost to Kentucky, LSU, and Florida. 2 of those losses were by 16+. None of those teams are close to Clemson. Y'all have let beating the snot out of ark and om go to your heads

That was a long time ago dude. I think our offense would do better now. Think we could put up a couple of TDs at least on Clemson. And I think they would struggle to score much on our D.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 11:43 AM
That was a long time ago dude. I think our offense would do better now. Think we could put up a couple of TDs at least on Clemson. And I think they would struggle to score much on our D.

Bama wasn't long ago and we lost by 24. Clemson is that level

msstate7
12-31-2018, 11:47 AM
We've faced 4 playoff/NY6 teams this year. We lost all 4 by a combined 84-16. What in the world y'all smoking to say we could play with Clemson?

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 11:48 AM
Bama wasn't long ago and we lost by 24. Clemson is that level

I still say refs killed any momentum we tried to get going. At least 7 (and maybe 14) of Bama pts should've come off the board due to fumbles during those drives. Those could've been huge momentum builders. They took a TD off our board. That killed any mojo we might could've mustered. There were plays to be made against Bama D, but we didn't make them after that TD was taken off board. And I think Bama's O is better than Clemson's and we held them to 305 in TTown with our offense not moving ball much and refs helping them out.

I don't think Clemson is as good as you think they are. And ND really sucks. They always do. Bunch of slow guys that can't run.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 11:50 AM
I still say refs killed any momentum we tried to get going. At least 7 (and maybe 14) of Bama pts should've come off the board due to fumbles during those drives. Those could've been huge momentum builders. They took a TD off our board. That killed any mojo we might could've mustered. There were plays to be made against Bama D, but we didn't make them after that TD was taken off board. And I think Bama's O is better than Clemson's and we held them to 305 in TTown with our offense not moving ball much.

I don't think Clemson is as good as you think they are. And ND really sucks. They always do. Bunch of slow guys that can't run.

Bama -6

Jump all over it then. I think that freshman qb gonna give Bama fits though. I think it's gonna come down to the end

Mutt the Hoople
12-31-2018, 11:51 AM

Syracuse had them on the ropes. Their Freshmens QB was knocked out of the game. The backup had to come in and save the day.

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 11:57 AM
Bama -6

Jump all over it then. I think that freshman qb gonna give Bama fits though. I think it's gonna come down to the end

I don't think Bama is impregnable either. I certainly don't think Sooners would've scored that much against us. Most teams are beat before they play Bama cause they're playing "Bama".

I think that line is probably about right. May need to go closer to -10 maybe. But it won't be a low scoring game either.

I'm not saying we'd beat Clemson, I'm saying they wouldn't "blow us out". The wildcard is our offense for sure and still is, but I think we're better than when we played those teams we lost to earlier in the year. Joe dialed it back to fit our personnel a little better IMO.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 12:02 PM
I don't think Bama is impregnable either. I certainly don't think Sooners would've scored that much against us. Most teams are beat before they play Bama cause they're playing "Bama".

I think that line is probably about right. May need to go closer to -10 maybe. But it won't be a low scoring game either.

I'm not saying we'd beat Clemson, I'm saying they wouldn't "blow us out". The wildcard is our offense for sure and still is, but I think we're better than when we played those teams we lost to earlier in the year. Joe dialed it back to fit our personnel a little better IMO.

Well I said they'd beat all but 2 sec teams by 10 or more. Would you take state +10.5 vs Clemson? I might for the $10 like I bet on ND, but not $1000.

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 12:03 PM
Well I said they'd beat all but 2 sec teams by 10 or more. Would you take state +10.5 vs Clemson? I might for the $10 like I bet on ND, but not $1000.

All day/everyday on a neutral field with neutral refs. Same with Bama. I'd like our chances. Especially if Joe plays Aeris most of the time.

TUSK
12-31-2018, 12:03 PM
He's just being nice (like Q said)...

Yeah, the ACC is not a very good conference, but Clemson is legit... and, when they are playing well, they are "Bammer-Legit"...

UGA is the only other team I'd put in that category... If OSU was more "stable" I might include them...

msstate7
12-31-2018, 12:08 PM
All day/everyday on a neutral field with neutral refs. Same with Bama. I'd like our chances. Especially if Joe plays Aeris most of the time.

Well you only gotta give up 7 tomorrow, so you should load up. I just have no confidence in our offense. We've faced 4 top 30 total defenses this year, and we've scored 16 points total (4 ppg). Iowa is #7. Clemson is #2. We are #1

Our 4 opponents that are top 30:
Bama #12
Kentucky #21
Florida #27
LSU #29

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 12:11 PM
Well you only gotta give up 7 tomorrow, so you should load up. I just have no confidence in our offense. We've faced 4 top 30 total defenses this year, and we've scored 16 points total (4 ppg). Iowa is #7. Clemson is #2. We are #1

I won't deny that our offense would concern me some. Depends on Joe's game plan and Fitz has to come out focused and just ball out, like last year's Bama game. Aeris needs to be the featured back and be in most of time for pass pro too. If those things lined up tho, I'd really like our chances. I have a lot of confidence in Shoop and the D.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 12:13 PM
I won't deny that our offense would concern me some. Depends on Joe's game plan and Fitz has to come out focused and just ball out, like last year's Bama game. Aeris needs to be the featured back and be in most of time for pass pro too. If those things lined up tho, I'd really like our chances. I have a lot of confidence in Shoop and the D.

Our D can absolutely play with Clemson. I say 20-3 if we played Clemson

bulldawg28
12-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Clemson is losing to Bama by 21 points minimum. It's not going to be close.

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 12:20 PM

Our 4 opponents that are top 30:
Bama #12
Kentucky #21
Florida #27
LSU #29

Fitz didn't play horrible against KY and especially FL. Lot of miscues by WRs and Oline in those games. Oline was confused most of the 1st part of the year with the RPO blocking IMO. WRs dropped easy throws.

Fitz was horrible and his confidence was shot against LSU. I didn't think he'd come back from that. And against Bama he missed some plays that were there to be made.

I think he's bounced back tho, but still don't think he's 100% bounced back. We'll find out more tomorrow.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Clemson is losing to Bama by 21 points minimum. It's not going to be close.

21? Come on mane...

bulldawg28
12-31-2018, 01:26 PM
21? Come on mane...

Maybe not 21 but definitely 17.The only way it doesn't happen is if Saban calls the dogs off.

Political Hack
12-31-2018, 01:30 PM
If ND is the best team they've beaten they don't belong either.

IMissJack
12-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Clemson played most of the A&M game with Bryant as QB I think. Lawrence has really improved over the year, and has upped their scoring ability.

Cooterpoot
12-31-2018, 01:48 PM
Bama by 10 or so. They’ll pressure the QB (ND did) but they’ll sack him. AL secondary has improved a lot and Saban will confuse the FR.

Pit Bull
12-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Sounds like Dabo is trying to lull BAMA into relaxing......aint gonna happen!

bulldawg28
12-31-2018, 03:10 PM
If ND is the best team they've beaten they don't belong either.

The committee jacked the selections up this year big time imo. Bama cruised after 28-0 and Notre Dame shouldn't have been there. The best 4 teams are Bama, GA, Ohio state, and Clemson

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 03:47 PM
The committee jacked the selections up this year big time imo. Bama cruised after 28-0 and Notre Dame shouldn't have been there. The best 4 teams are Bama, GA, Ohio state, and Clemson

At the end of the year, I agree with this. It is just hard to put a 2 loss UGA and a 1 loss to Purdue - Ohio St team over undefeated ND. At least ND plays a P5 schedule unlike UCF. ND was the equivalent of a Pac12 undefeated champion. This is where a 6 or 8 team playoff comes in handy. You can put someone in like ND or UCF and watch them get their ass handed to them by a real team. Unlike ND, UCF hasn't been embarrassed yet. LSU better not shit the bed like Auburn did or UCF has a legitimate complaint.

RougeDawg
12-31-2018, 04:00 PM

I said earlier in the season I?d rather have played Clemson over Bama, LSU and Auburn. Auburn was Jekyll and Hyde but had the talent to be a dominant defense. Clemson would have been easier games for us than Bama and LSU. Those two and our defenses are better than Clemson. Clemson defense just plays a bunch of patsy teams in the ACC. The conference is a joke.

Cowbell
12-31-2018, 04:53 PM
Our D can absolutely play with Clemson. I say 20-3 if we played Clemson

But you said blowout. 20-3 is not a blowout. We did not get blown out by Alabama.
Also, LSU can hang with Clemson if they are on.

Cowbell
12-31-2018, 04:55 PM
That freshman QB has never seen anything in the likes of the DLine he is about to see. He throws 2 picks minimum and is sacked 4 times.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 04:58 PM
But you said blowout. 20-3 is not a blowout. We did not get blown out by Alabama.
Also, LSU can hang with Clemson if they are on.

"Clemson would've blown out (10 or more) all but 2 sec teams Saturday night."

That was what I said.

And yes, we got blew out. We lost by 24. Bama covered the spread too. LSU game was closer... was it not a blow out? If there isn't one meaningful snap where a game can flip in the 4th quarter, it's a blow out

RougeDawg
12-31-2018, 06:52 PM
"Clemson would've blown out (10 or more) all but 2 sec teams Saturday night."

That was what I said.

And yes, we got blew out. We lost by 24. Bama covered the spread too. LSU game was closer... was it not a blow out? If there isn't one meaningful snap where a game can flip in the 4th quarter, it's a blow out

Both the Bama and LSU game final scores were skewed by a couple plays in each game. The losses were much closer than the final score indicated. Come on man. Bama game was 17-10 at worst if the referees call it. Lose to fair. LSU really didn?t do much to us aside from the 7 we gifted them inside our 10 yard line. SMFH. At some point you have to see things for what they are, not the cover of the book or score in the paper.

msstate7
12-31-2018, 06:59 PM
Both the Bama and LSU game final scores were skewed by a couple plays in each game. The losses were much closer than the final score indicated. Come on man. Bama game was 17-10 at worst if the referees call it. Lose to fair. LSU really didn?t do much to us aside from the 7 we gifted them inside our 10 yard line. SMFH. At some point you have to see things for what they are, not the cover of the book or score in the paper.

Total yards: Bama 309 state 169
1st downs: bama 23 state 6
Yards rushing: Bama 142 state 44

Passing yards were close, but still in favor of Bama. At what point in the 2nd half were we close to winning that game? It was 21-0 Bama after the 1st quarter.

ETA... Kentucky is an example of a game where the score was bad, but it wasn't a blow out. We had our chances in the 4th quarter. LSU and Bama were NEVER in doubt in the 2nd half

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2018, 07:39 PM

Passing yards were close, but still in favor of Bama. At what point in the 2nd half were we close to winning that game? It was 21-0 Bama after the 1st quarter.

ETA... Kentucky is an example of a game where the score was bad, but it wasn't a blow out. We had our chances in the 4th quarter. LSU and Bama were NEVER in doubt in the 2nd half

I think most people think if we didn't have to beat the refs also then that game is close. The refs are the only thing that made it a "blowout".

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 07:42 PM

Most point to the opening drive fumble that wasn't call, and in keeping the ball Bama scored a TD
Questionable pass reception in the endzone for Bama
Or TD called back because of 'block in the back'
Another fumble by Bama not called

Might not have won but it would have been closer, and maybe a lot closer.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Bring on Clemson. Right, dawg day?

dawgday166
01-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Bring on Clemson. Right, dawg day?

Lol ... You right. I'm very underwhelmed with Joe's game planning and play calling. This offense should be better than it is. Thought he might've turned the corner but guess not. This looks like LSU game plan.

We'll see if he can adjust coming out of half. Probably not.

msstate7
01-01-2019, 03:29 PM
But we can play with Clemson