PDA

View Full Version : UK coach Shoops emerging as potential candidate to replace Richt

starkvegasdawg
12-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Let the coaching carousel begin.

msstate7
12-30-2018, 05:01 PM
That would be a nice spot for stoops.

Neal brown to Kentucky?

Hambone
12-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Wait, they fired Richt?

msstate7
12-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Wait, they fired Richt?

Resigned

Hambone
12-30-2018, 05:07 PM
Just saw it, retiring.

LC Dawg
12-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Kentucky is a tough job. Much tougher than Mississippi State because of less fertile recruiting and the love for basketball. I'm curious to see how much Kentucky will pay to try to get Stoops to stay.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Kentucky is a tough job. Good season yes. But no long term track record of success. Still middle tier SEC East at best and objectively far behind Georgia and behind UF. In a state that doesn't produce a ton of great college football talent.

If Holgorsen is really unhappy at WV you make a run at him. Then you cal Bill Clark and make him walk away from the table. Then look at Schiano, Applewhite, or Neal Brown.

Todd4State
12-30-2018, 06:14 PM
I don't know about Bill Clark somewhere other than an Alabama school. He's a good coach and I think he is in a place that fits him. But I think a lot of the reason for his success is his connections to Alabama HS and if he went somewhere like Kentucky I'm not sure that would be an advantage for him.

basedog
12-30-2018, 06:39 PM
I don't know about Bill Clark somewhere other than an Alabama school. He's a good coach and I think he is in a place that fits him. But I think a lot of the reason for his success is his connections to Alabama HS and if he went somewhere like Kentucky I'm not sure that would be an advantage for him.

Yes to this.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2018, 06:43 PM

Oh it definitely helps. He's done nothing but football here in Alabama. He's got a good thing going at UAB but if ever wants a chance to parlay that into a big time gig, his stock is as high as it's ever been.

I'll say this. There's a lot of talent in Alabama that gets picked on by other programs. If he hired the right staff, he could recruit closer to home while still using his ties in Alabama. I think his mentality could be one that would benefit Kentucky. And I think he could poach talent from in state. Get kids to come to Kentucky instead of UAB (UAB is getting some kids this year from the high school I teach at and from other high schools in state that are kids who could play SEC football).

But I do get your point. He's an Alabama guy and he probably likes that. Hell, he might be the call Auburn makes when Gus gets canned next year.

civildawg
12-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Stoops is not a good coach. Dude got lucky this year with a bad sec. Miami can do way better

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Stoops is not a good coach. Dude got lucky this year with a bad sec. Miami can do way better

Bad SEC?

He had a very SR, experienced team & caught some teams, like us, at the right time & in the right weather.

I think the SEC very good this year

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Lane Train to Miami* kidding...Lane stock is plummeting.

Pit Bull
12-30-2018, 08:24 PM

LOL.....Here's a fact. The SEC is never bad.

LC Dawg
12-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Every time a non blue blood has success in the SEC we hear how the SEC is down. The team that beat Ohio State got demolished by a middle of the pack SEC team. Most all agree that UGA deserved in the CFP and they got beaten solidly by LSU. UK beat FL who killed Michigan. Bama will probably win the national championship. A&M almost beat Clemson and Mississippi State beat A&M. At least 5 SEC teams would beat the #3 team in the country. The SEC is fine.

Bothrops
12-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Kentucky is a football program that has spent hundreds of millions on football upgrades, and has yet to yield any results in recruiting from it. They actually have some of the nicest facilities in the East.

The Federalist Engineer
12-30-2018, 10:48 PM
Out of the box thought- Miami job sucks and Kentucky is much better, even with the bumps and bruises of SEC play

(1) Miami plays in front of green tarps in a 80% empty stadium
(2) Miami has no fans except demented people in glitter body paint
(3) Miami pays assistant coaches less than USM
(4) Miami has already burned its bridges to the local pipeline schools that made Miami great in 90's
(5) Florida media is dominated by UF and FSU alumni that work as a team to keep Miami down - like SMU in Texas
(6) Miami is run by Title IX Nazis that basically lobotomized male sports - even Miami baseball is way down

Bottom line is that Manny Diaz is proper bottom feeder to take that job. If not for the uniform and the 1980's, Miami is really just The University of Pittsburgh or Syracuse in quality, maybe as low as Duke football

Pollodawg
12-30-2018, 11:01 PM
Out of the box thought- Miami job sucks and Kentucky is much better, even with the bumps and bruises of SEC play

(1) Miami plays in front of green tarps in a 80% empty stadium
(2) Miami has no fans except demented people in glitter body paint
(3) Miami pays assistant coaches less than USM
(4) Miami has already burned its bridges to the local pipeline schools that made Miami great in 90's
(5) Florida media is dominated by UF and FSU alumni that work as a team to keep Miami down - like SMU in Texas
(6) Miami is run by Title IX Nazis that basically lobotomized male sports - even Miami baseball is way down

Bottom line is that Manny Diaz is proper bottom feeder to take that job. If not for the uniform and the 1980's, Miami is really just The University of Pittsburgh or Syracuse in quality, maybe as low as Duke football

This. Miami isn’t the job everyone thinks it is. It’s sort of like Tennessee in this conference.

Todd4State
12-31-2018, 12:41 AM
Oh it definitely helps. He's done nothing but football here in Alabama. He's got a good thing going at UAB but if ever wants a chance to parlay that into a big time gig, his stock is as high as it's ever been.

I'll say this. There's a lot of talent in Alabama that gets picked on by other programs. If he hired the right staff, he could recruit closer to home while still using his ties in Alabama. I think his mentality could be one that would benefit Kentucky. And I think he could poach talent from in state. Get kids to come to Kentucky instead of UAB (UAB is getting some kids this year from the high school I teach at and from other high schools in state that are kids who could play SEC football).

But I do get your point. He's an Alabama guy and he probably likes that. Hell, he might be the call Auburn makes when Gus gets canned next year.

Auburn would be VERY smart to hire him because he could get the best players in Alabama that Saban passes on and probably build a pretty good team. But since it's Auburn they won't do it.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 12:55 PM
This. Miami isn’t the job everyone thinks it is. It’s sort of like Tennessee in this conference.

They were rated #1 not too many years ago and the stadium was virtually empty.