PDA

View Full Version : Playoff talk

CadaverDawg
12-30-2018, 12:44 PM
All the message boards are littered with "expand the CFP" chatter. I have mixed feelings.

1st of all, I hate auto bids because a 7-5 conference winner does nothing but water down or ruin a CFP.
Second, most people wanting an expanded CFP only want it bc they're sick of seeing the same teams every year. Well news flash, after the first round of an 8 team playoff, you're likely sitting there with the same final 4 and Championship game that we always have...especially when Bama & Clemson are clearly Head and shoulders better than everyone.
And last, it just has a participation trophy feel to it if we keep expanding. Seems like our country is so sissy now, so every time someone loses they cry until the rules are changed to give them a better shot at winning. At some point it's up to the rest of us to get a staff in place that is able to talk these kids to going elsewhere and scheme to beat these powerhouses...,expansion is not the answer in my opinion

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2018, 01:01 PM
I go back and forth. If you are going to have a playoff - have a real playoff like FCS and DII &III. Seems to work fine there.

Another part of me thinks that the BCS was fine - and more often then not over 20 years got 1 v 2 correct.

msstate7
12-30-2018, 01:53 PM
An expanded playoff includes Georgia and Ohio st. Both them teams would destroy ND

LC Dawg
12-30-2018, 02:21 PM
An 8 team playoff would have had OK-GA which would have been a good game. If they used home field for first round I think OK wins. OSU most likely beats ND big but they lost to Purdue so it's not guaranteed. Clemson would destroy Michigan. The best part would be Bama's utter destruction of Central Florida which would shut that debate up forever.
It would still be pretty unsuspenseful.

msstate7
12-30-2018, 02:23 PM
An 8 team playoff would have had OK-GA which would have been a good game. If they used home field for first round I think OK wins. OSU most likely beats ND big but they lost to Purdue so it's not guaranteed. Clemson would destroy Michigan. The best part would be Bama's utter destruction of Central Florida which would shut that debate up forever.
It would still be pretty unsuspenseful.

2nd round:
Georgia vs Bama
Ohio state vs Clemson

Those are good matchups

LC Dawg
12-30-2018, 02:32 PM
2nd round:
Georgia vs Bama
Ohio state vs Clemson

Those are good matchups

If they play first round on home fields I think OK beats GA. Then the only difference is OSU and I think Clemson kills them.
I would like to expand the playoffs but I think the final four and definitely the final two would be the same as a four team playoff most years. It will help a few good teams get in when a team like Notre Dame has all the "credentials" even though it's pretty obvious they aren't that good.

msstate7
12-30-2018, 02:36 PM
If they play first round on home fields I think OK beats GA. Then the only difference is OSU and I think Clemson kills them.
I would like to expand the playoffs but I think the final four and definitely the final two would be the same as a four team playoff most years. It will help a few good teams get in when a team like Notre Dame has all the "credentials" even though it's pretty obvious they aren't that good.

I had a lot more confidence in Clemson till the South Carolina game. Bentley shredded that secondary... Haskins is a lot better than Bentley, and tua is better than Haskins. I really hope that South Carolina game was just a really bad game

chef dixon
12-30-2018, 02:37 PM
If there is no playoff expansion there is no reason to be an MSU football fan. Lets face it, getting top 4 is nearly impossible for us. What are we actually trying to play for? An outback bowl v Iowa? Please

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 02:42 PM
If there is no playoff expansion there is no reason to be an MSU football fan. Lets face it, getting top 4 is nearly impossible for us. What are we actually trying to play for? An outback bowl v Iowa? Please

This

LC Dawg
12-30-2018, 02:46 PM
I had a lot more confidence in Clemson till the South Carolina game. Bentley shredded that secondary... Haskins is a lot better than Bentley, and tua is better than Haskins. I really hope that South Carolina game was just a really bad game
Yeah, and they barely escaped the other SEC team they played but I think they'll be competitive against Bama. It should be high scoring but I think Tua will be the difference. It was interesting to hear him say his ankle was still bothering him after the game last night.
My hope is that Clemson smokes them and I get to see multiple pictures of Bama fans crying and seeing them lose their minds on social media.

msstate7
12-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Yeah, and they barely escaped the other SEC team they played but I think they'll be competitive against Bama. It should be high scoring but I think Tua will be the difference. It was interesting to hear him say his ankle was still bothering him after the game last night.
My hope is that Clemson smokes them and I get to see multiple pictures of Bama fans crying and seeing them lose their minds on social media.

Me too, man.

RocketDawg
12-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Me too, man.

I don't care much for Clemson, but I'll be pulling for them just so the smug, entitled Bama fans that I know will come down a notch off their high horses. They actually think that being a fan of the national champions really makes them more of a person.

TUSK
12-30-2018, 04:35 PM
I don't care much for Clemson, but I'll be pulling for them just so the smug, entitled Bama fans that I know will come down a notch off their high horses. They actually think that being a fan of the national champions really makes them more of a person.

I've found this to be true in more cases than not:

"Becoming a Bammer" doesn't build or enhance one's character, it reveals a lack of it....