PDA

View Full Version : Question for a friend: Does increasing receiver talent increase or decrease QB...

RougeDawg
12-30-2018, 02:49 AM
Performance and statistics?

One would think this a fairly elementary and simple answer, yet some are blinded by their hatred for some and love for the lover that jilted them.

The simple question is this. When you increase the supporting cast, WR in particular, do QB statistics increase or decrease?

One would think any MSU fan worth their weight in salt would have been given this answer when Dallas signed Cooper. If you casually observe Daks stats before and after Cooper, the answer is stark.

So taking common logical knowledge, why would one assume increasing WR talent for a QB would not lead to improved passing statistics, and Vice versa?

Dawgfan77
12-30-2018, 08:19 AM
First you gotta land that QB then build around him. Shredder is that QB and I believe we can build around him with guys like Whop, Mingo, Heath , torbor, and others. IMO it starts at QB

CooterDavenport
12-30-2018, 09:46 AM
Shredder is that QB and I believe we can build around him

We need a receiver named Krang.

msudawglb
12-30-2018, 10:17 AM
First you gotta land that QB then build around him. Shredder is that QB and I believe we can build around him with guys like Whop, Mingo, Heath , torbor, and others. IMO it starts at QB

Syracuse had a couple darn good receivers. They made that QB look decent. Without them, he?s awful.

We?ve had wr?s who look the part but they all lack the attitude. To be an affective WR, once the ball is in the air, the attitude must be that the ball is yours and I?ll be damned if a cb is going to keep you from scoring.

msstate7
12-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Syracuse had a couple darn good receivers. They made that QB look decent. Without them, he?s awful.

We?ve had wr?s who look the part but they all lack the attitude. To be an affective WR, once the ball is in the air, the attitude must be that the ball is yours and I?ll be damned if a cb is going to keep you from scoring.

Dungey will be drafted. He's 5th round in this mock

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2019/v9/

Coursesuper
12-30-2018, 10:35 AM
You know what really makes a QB look good and have great stats? A really good offensive line, this staff saw our lack of talent there and are making moves to address this issue.

And don't give me "our o line is great" bs, it's not. Our interior was pretty good but our tackles were not good at all. We had a statue at left tackle and a guard playing right tackle. When we got beat our line got beat and we lost the game.

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2018, 11:11 AM
I think there is no singular solution - your offense is the sum of your parts. Your parts are your players and your system. A great QB with a decent OL can make bad receivers look better - think Tom Brady and his revolving band of WR no one knows. A decent OL and great WR can allow you to live off of jump balls and bubble screens (see OM). A great OL and great WR can make Greg McElroy, AJ McCarron, Blake Sims, or Jay Barker into household names because they didn't f up. Put road grader OL in an air raid blocking scheme and your passing game will suck. Put great WR in a smash mouth running scheme and you will never hear their name called.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-30-2018, 11:42 AM
You know what really makes a QB look good and have great stats? A really good offensive line, this staff saw our lack of talent there and are making moves to address this issue.

And don't give me "our o line is great" bs, it's not. Our interior was pretty good but our tackles were not good at all. We had a statue at left tackle and a guard playing right tackle. When we got beat our line got beat and we lost the game.

Talent is overrated. Our OL did not have Hevesy to coach them up this year.**

Dawgfan77
12-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Agree with you on the OL being a starting point for sure. With regards to our OL. I think Eiland will be good (just a RS sophomore) but Phillips should be our LT next year and move Reese to RG kick Eiland out to RT next year