PDA

View Full Version : Today is a Great Day For College Football

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 09:18 PM
For all of us that love college football and realize the obvious absurdity of the sport's talent acquisition, playoff, and conference structure, today is a great day as it as absolutely highlighted the need for massive reform if this sport is to continue to grow and thrive.

Days like today make the powers that be look in the mirror. This sport would have such great potential and grow if more schools felt like they have a shot both by expanding the playoff and limiting scholarships to 70 or so.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-29-2018, 09:19 PM
No it won't

dawgday166
12-29-2018, 09:21 PM
No it won't

Lol ... Shotgun keeps hoping tho.

Goldendawg
12-29-2018, 09:21 PM
If you don't know, look up and read why GT left the SEC. Changes don't stop $ed big boys for long. bama has ruined college FB for all but bama fans. BTW, same thing was said if the # of scholarships was limited to 85.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 09:25 PM
No it won't

My question is, why not?

The voting power lies in the hands of non-powerhouses. Far more of them than Bama's

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Lol ... Shotgun keeps hoping tho.

If you're an MSU fan or a fan of any team but about 5, I can't imagine why you wouldn't hope.

Do you like this system or think it's good for the sport?

dawgday166
12-29-2018, 09:30 PM
If you're an MSU fan or a fan of any team but about 5, I can't imagine why you wouldn't hope.

Do you like this system or think it's good for the sport?

Naw I don't like it ... But it ain't changing. They got exactly what they want ... Bama winning Natty every year. That's the purpose of the "4 best teams". In BCS, Bama don't get in last year and even have a chance to pay off refs for Natty win.

Coursesuper
12-29-2018, 09:30 PM
My question is, why not?

The voting power lies in the hands of non-powerhouses. Far more of them than Bama's

Because you have no idea who the people behind the football powers are and just how far they will go to win at anything. We are talking about families that actually control South American countries in bammers case. We can never out spend them ever.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 09:31 PM
Naw I don't like it ... But it ain't changing. They got exactly what they want ... Bama winning Natty every year. That's the purpose of the "4 best teams". In BCS, Bama don't get in last year and even have a chance to pay off refs for Natty win.

That's crazy. Who wants it that way? What sane organization would want that?

WSOPdawg
12-29-2018, 09:32 PM
If you don't know, look up and read why GT left the SEC. Changes don't stop $ed big boys for long. bama has ruined college FB for all but bama fans. BTW, same thing was said if the # of scholarships was limited to 85.

The 85-max limit helped MSU tremendously in terms of our ability to get to the 8-win plateau that we are now averaging. Pushing Bama, Clemson, UGA to play with 75 scholarship players would allow us to find more talent that they hide away on their 3-deep.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 09:33 PM
Because you have no idea who the people behind the football powers are and just how far they will go to win at anything. We are talking about families that actually control South American countries in bammers case. We can never out spend them ever.

What does "out spending them" have to do with out voting them?

Gutter Cobreh
12-29-2018, 09:33 PM
Shotgun is simply taking Dan Wolken tweets from tonight and rephrasing the words to make it seem as though he has an original thought.

Goldendawg
12-29-2018, 09:34 PM
Big $ will do anything to maintain the status quo in the SEC and the NCAA. Billions at stake.

Goldendawg
12-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Shotgun is simply taking Dan Wolken tweets from tonight and rephrasing the words to make it seem as though he has an original thought.

So what comes first this "original thought" or MS7 hitting 50K posts?***

msstate7
12-29-2018, 09:36 PM
So what comes first this "original thought" or MS7 hitting 50K posts?***

Me

Coursesuper
12-29-2018, 09:38 PM
What does "out spending them" have to do with out voting them?

Are you that naive, do you really think that those people will ever let this come to a vote? You do understand how the world works and exactly how corrupt things really are?

dawgday166
12-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Are you that naive, do you really think that those people will ever let this come to a vote? You do understand how the world works and exactly how corrupt things really are?

I'm betting he thinks it's a democracy haha

Goldendawg
12-29-2018, 09:42 PM
Me

Love your reply! Biggest grin I've had during these jokes of a playoff today. Hail State!

dawgday166
12-29-2018, 09:44 PM
Me

That was an easy one haha

Dawgology
12-29-2018, 10:00 PM
So the cartel runs Bama now...come on guys...

Limit scholarships to 60 with a 15 scholarship hard cap every year. Have an 8 team playoff. That will pretty much take care of it.

Or...keep it the way it is and college football dies a slow 20 year death until it’s not on TV anymore, the money dries up, and it becomes a glorified intramural sport again.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 10:53 PM

I've kind of been on this kick for a while. I agree with Wolken. I couldn't care less about original thought.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 10:54 PM

Pretty sure the Yankees and Cowboys have similar or more elite types but they didn't get their way.

Goldendawg
12-29-2018, 10:55 PM
If you drop it to 70 or so scholarships, bama just finds the "smartest" 5 stars who walk-on on full academic rides.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 10:56 PM
If you drop it to 70 or so scholarships, bama just finds the "smartest" 5 stars who walk-on on full academic rides.

That's illegal I believe.

tireddawg
12-29-2018, 11:07 PM
That's illegal I believe.

Not if they're deserving of an academic scholly

msstate7
12-29-2018, 11:08 PM
Not if they're deserving of an academic scholly

Pretty sure they count against 85

Coursesuper
12-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Pretty sure the Yankees and Cowboys have similar or more elite types but they didn't get their way.

How does that matter here? Your view of how things are and reality don't match.

ShotgunDawg
12-29-2018, 11:15 PM
How does that matter here? Your view of how things are and reality don't match.

Ok. We can hope right?

Cooterpoot
12-29-2018, 11:42 PM
College football is going to cannibalizes itself if changes aren?t made. It?s boring as hell. People don?t want to watch the same 4-5 teams every year. Attendance is down. Bowl games don?t draw fans. It?s helped lift us over the USMs of the world but it?s just not fun knowing you?re limited. They might as well start a 12 team league of powers and let them play it out.

Pit Bull
12-29-2018, 11:54 PM
For all of us that love college football and realize the obvious absurdity of the sport's talent acquisition, playoff, and conference structure, today is a great day as it as absolutely highlighted the need for massive reform if this sport is to continue to grow and thrive.

Days like today make the powers that be look in the mirror. This sport would have such great potential and grow if more schools felt like they have a shot both by expanding the playoff and limiting scholarships to 70 or so.

The biggest fish of them all said he doesn't think expanding to 8 teams would benefit college football. Saban said it would make all the other bowl games (which are too many to begin with) tank.

Coursesuper
12-29-2018, 11:57 PM
College football is going to cannibalizes itself if changes aren?t made. It?s boring as hell. People don?t want to watch the same 4-5 teams every year. Attendance is down. Bowl games don?t draw fans. It?s helped lift us over the USMs of the world but it?s just not fun knowing you?re limited. They might as well start a 12 team league of powers and let them play it out.

This is what is more likely to happen than reducing scholarship numbers. It will be a sad day for football if that happens because it will be still boring at the top end and the sports media machine will trumpet how wonderful the charade is. Hopefully we will end up in a place to complete for championships and still be able to fund our operations. Let's face it football pays the bills.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 12:01 AM
This is what is more likely to happen than reducing scholarship numbers. It will be a sad day for football if that happens because it will be still boring at the top end and the sports media machine will trumpet how wonderful the charade is. Hopefully we will end up in a place to complete for championships and still be able to fund our operations. Let's face it football pays the bills.

This is what's so crazy. The sport could have so much more popularity with just a few tweaks like scholly cuts and playoff expansion. It's amazing to me how people are against making money. There is so much more money to make in college football with more even rosters.

Coursesuper
12-30-2018, 12:06 AM
This is what's so crazy. The sport could have so much more popularity with just a few tweaks like scholly cuts and playoff expansion. It's amazing to me how people are against making money. There is so much more money to make in college football with more even rosters.

But those that have the money now aren't going to let it go.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-30-2018, 12:11 AM

While the 1's who deserve the money get none of the pie

Dawgology
12-30-2018, 12:56 AM

That would 100% kill college sports.

Coursesuper
12-30-2018, 10:26 AM
That would 100% kill college sports.

Yes it would, but do you really think the power brokers at Bammer, ND, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC etc. care about that? I don't. As bad as the bowl season has been so far with very few competitive games at all and ESPN owning over half of them I think that there have been a bunch of TV's already turned off or watching something else.

The 4 team playoff is a joke going to 8 will be just as bad, there will just a bigger pot to split up. I think Gun ( Wolken ) has a point there is a need for scholarship reductions to make the game more competitive, and spread the wealth around a little more. I would love to see it happen it would be great for State, but I foresee a 16 to 20 school split within the next 15 to 20 years, and they will take all the money and run.

Irondawg
12-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Expanding the playoffs does nothing to change this other than it gives more chances for an upset or gets more SEC teams in. Scholarship reductions would help, but the bigger thing would be recruiting rules enforcement.

It blows my mind that a school like Vandy doesn't have 10-20 boosters that have conspired to bring the whole system down. Over a 2 year period you find 20-30 families that would be willing to keep records and recordings of every recruiting conversation they have and then you pay those families $1M or so each for that information.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Yes it would, but do you really think the power brokers at Bammer, ND, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC etc. care about that? I don't. As bad as the bowl season has been so far with very few competitive games at all and ESPN owning over half of them I think that there have been a bunch of TV's already turned off or watching something else.

The 4 team playoff is a joke going to 8 will be just as bad, there will just a bigger pot to split up. I think Gun ( Wolken ) has a point there is a need for scholarship reductions to make the game more competitive, and spread the wealth around a little more. I would love to see it happen it would be great for State, but I foresee a 16 to 20 school split within the next 15 to 20 years, and they will take all the money and run.

I think you're a little over the top with this "illuminati" thinking of about 5 programs control everything in the sport. There are 65 power 5 schools. And at least 55 of them would be in favor or regulation. There's no way those 55 couldn't create change if they worked together

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Expanding the playoffs does nothing to change this other than it gives more chances for an upset or gets more SEC teams in. Scholarship reductions would help, but the bigger thing would be recruiting rules enforcement.

It blows my mind that a school like Vandy doesn't have 10-20 boosters that have conspired to bring the whole system down. Over a 2 year period you find 20-30 families that would be willing to keep records and recordings of every recruiting conversation they have and then you pay those families $1M or so each for that information.

Expanding the playoff to 8 with the first round on the campus of the higher seed, would help filter out the Notre Dame type teams that deserve to be there on paper but clearly don't belong.

That would allow the bowl games that people pay thousands of dollars to attend to be better, more exciting matchups. Yes, there would be blowouts in the first round, but, with those games being on campus and significantly cheaper to attend, I don't think people would care as much.

Coursesuper
12-30-2018, 11:31 AM
I think you're a little over the top with this "illuminati" thinking of about 5 programs control everything in the sport. There are 65 power 5 schools. And at least 55 of them would be in favor or regulation. There's no way those 55 couldn't create change if they worked together

Those are just a few that would leave and are used as an example. Dude you can real thick. If there is a split it will be all about the $$$$ and TV, you will see teams semi regionally join this. Think about this, Ohio St. Mich, Penn St. ND from east / mid west. UGA, Fla, FSU, Au, Bammer, LSU, Clemson from South East. T A&M, Tx, OU, Neb from central part of the country. UW, Oregon, Stanford, USC, UCLA from the west coast. I'm sure I missed some teams, but they have to be able to buy their way into this thing and bring a substantial TV audience.

IMissJack
12-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Those are just a few that would leave and are used as an example. Dude you can real thick. If there is a split it will be all about the $$$$ and TV, you will see teams semi regionally join this. Think about this, Ohio St. Mich, Penn St. ND from east / mid west. UGA, Fla, FSU, Au, Bammer, LSU, Clemson from South East. T A&M, Tx, OU, Neb from central part of the country. UW, Oregon, Stanford, USC, UCLA from the west coast. I'm sure I missed some teams, but they have to be able to buy their way into this thing and bring a substantial TV audience.

It is the same as MLB playoffs. The networks do not want small market matchups like Brewers vs. Astros. They want at least one of the following: Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc. to at least be in a series. Two is even better.

IMissJack
12-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Maybe having refs from different regions/conferences doing SEC games would make a bit of a difference.** Bama was flagged 9/86 yds, while their season average is 5.8/51.4 yds.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 12:41 PM
It is the same as MLB playoffs. The networks do not want small market matchups like Brewers vs. Astros. They want at least one of the following: Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc. to at least be in a series. Two is even better.

And that's fine so long as the smaller market teams believe they have a chance & can sell tons of tickets & TV rights during the season that make MLB work financially.

There is a reason that MLB keeps looking to expand. There is a reason that MLB consist of more teams than just the ones you mentioned. The reason is that it makes more money, but in order to make that more money & to keep the other 26 teams interested enough to have fans that watch games on TV or go to games, MLB MUST offer carrots/hope that makes those fans believe that, if run properly, they can win. College football currently lacks that.

FWIW, I'm not vouching for complete parity like the NFL. I think sports work best when there are villains that tend to win more than anyone else. However, the villain can't have a monopoly & we are currently dealing with monopolies in college football. The sport would be significantly better and make more money for everyone if the gap between the cartel & the other 55 Power 5 teams was closed a bit

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 12:42 PM

This wouldn't work. College football would lose 50+% of it's fans over night. There is no way in hell this would happen. A 20 team league? That's financially stupid.

Bully13
12-30-2018, 12:49 PM
I sense overreacting in this thread. Just look at MSU now vs us during the vaught era. There are other MSU stories similar to ours as well. Parity and opportunity are much better today than yesterday imo.

Expanding the playoff beyond 8 teams would harm the greatest regular season in all of sports. Dont take natty ramifications out of marquee regular season games. Its what separates college football's regular season games from all other sports.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Expanding the playoff beyond 8 teams would harm the greatest regular season in all of sports. Dont take natty ramifications out of marquee regular season games. Its what separates college football's regular season games from all other sports.

I don't get this narrative. Would seem to me that expanding the playoff would make more games mean something since less teams would be eliminated.

Instead of rivalry weekend featuring 3 games that effected the natty, it may consist of 8 games that effect the natty. That means more attendance around the country at late season games as well since the games would be bigger for most schools

I do agree that there is a point, like the NBA, where the playoffs are so big that it detracts from the regular season. I just don't think an 8 team playoff with 65 power 5 schools, is near that point.

Bully13
12-30-2018, 02:01 PM
I don't get this narrative. Would seem to me that expanding the playoff would make more games mean something since less teams would be eliminated.

Instead of rivalry weekend featuring 3 games that effected the natty, it may consist of 8 games that effect the natty. That means more attendance around the country at late season games as well since the games would be bigger for most schools

I do agree that there is a point, like the NBA, where the playoffs are so big that it detracts from the regular season. I just don't think an 8 team playoff with 65 power 5 schools, is near that point.

Imagine 2 top 10 teams play the iron bowl and the loser has nothing much to worry about regarding natty plans..

That doesn't bother you?

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Imagine 2 top 10 teams play the iron bowl and the loser has nothing much to worry about regarding natty plans..

That doesn't bother you?

I would effect seeding & whether or not the winner or loser gets a home game the next week. There would absolutely be something at stake.

But why the Iron Bowl? Why not ask what if the Egg Bowl had something at stake? LSU vs Texas A&M? FSU vs Florida?

Instead of taking the angle that would hurt the Iron Bowl, perhaps look at all the rivalries it would help

If we want to grow the sport of college football, there IMO absolutely a correct answer here

Bully13
12-30-2018, 04:09 PM
I would effect seeding & whether or not the winner or loser gets a home game the next week. There would absolutely be something at stake.

But why the Iron Bowl? Why not ask what if the Egg Bowl had something at stake? LSU vs Texas A&M? FSU vs Florida?

Instead of taking the angle that would hurt the Iron Bowl, perhaps look at all the rivalries it would help

If we want to grow the sport of college football, there IMO absolutely a correct answer here

The iron bowl is just one of MANY regular season match ups where natty dreams no longer hang in the balance. The losers get to retain natty hopes. I don't think removing the do or die aspect from regular season marquee match ups is the way to go. I DO understand your home field post season ramifications though and you do have a point when #13 plays #15 in the regular season if you have a 16 team playoff. I think there are more important things at stake however. Such things which make college football's regular season unique. I think certain games need to be do or die regarding natty hopes. Not just home field or travel ramifications.

8 is enough.