PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when a sport lacks parity

Dawgology
12-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Both games I watched first half and switched it. Booooorrrrriiiinnnnggg.

Need to cut teams to 60 (15 scholarships a year).

WSOPdawg
12-29-2018, 09:13 PM

Spread the talent and share the wealth.

Dawgology
12-29-2018, 09:15 PM
Spread the talent and share the wealth.

Yep. You would see these 4 and 5 stars willing to ride the pine for 2-3 years at a blue blood suddenly not having a scholarship to ride the bench. It will kill the “sign them just so your opponent can’t have them” strategy.

msstate7
12-29-2018, 09:16 PM
At least require each player you sign to count against the 85 for 4 full years. It would hurt us this season with Simmons, but oh well

Pit Bull
12-29-2018, 09:57 PM

This is what you get when the top 4-5 teams get 90% of the 5 Star talent

HoopsDawg
12-29-2018, 10:02 PM

60 is too severe. Cut from 85 to 70 which I believe is the SEC limit for the travel roster. But you would also need to limit signing day to 20 per year and eliminate count backs. hard cap of 20. Use the extra scholarships for baseball.

Mjoelner34
12-30-2018, 12:23 AM
60 is too severe. Cut from 85 to 70 which I believe is the SEC limit for the travel roster. But you would also need to limit signing day to 20 per year and eliminate count backs. hard cap of 20. Use the extra scholarships for baseball.

Hell yeah! And give the schollys to baseball!

DLGDawg
12-30-2018, 02:45 AM

And give the extra scholarships to baseball.
ETA. Ha. Didn?t read the thread before posting. Others immediately thought of the same thing. What?s that old beer commercial...?? Brilliant

Bully13
12-30-2018, 03:21 AM
I tuned out as well. Preferred a next Generation rerun. Seriously, I really did.

Political Hack
12-30-2018, 03:26 PM
At least require each player you sign to count against the 85 for 4 full years. It would hurt us this season with Simmons, but oh well

If you want parity without hurting kids' chances to earn scholarships, this is how you do it.

Coursesuper
12-30-2018, 03:57 PM
If you want parity without hurting kids' chances to earn scholarships, this is how you do it.

Give FBS 70 scholarships, give 5 more scholarships to FCS, give 10 more to DII. That would give DII a chance to give full rides and not having to baseball up there grant in aid money. Same number of kids get to play football and FCS and DII get better.

dawgs
12-30-2018, 04:38 PM

This is perhaps the best suggestion I've seen. Yeah it hurts us with Simmons for 2019, but for the most part, every team worthwhile is gonna have 1-2 early departures most years. It'll hurt the Bama's and UGA's way more than us.

Saltydog
12-30-2018, 04:59 PM
bloods won't allow it.

Spiderman
12-30-2018, 07:26 PM

It's a cycle. Just like always. A short time ago Croom beat Bama in back to back years.

There will never be true parity. the Top 15 schools will always be the top 15. It just cycles

TUSK
12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
It's a cycle. Just like always. A short time ago Croom beat Bama in back to back years.

There will never be true parity. the Top 15 schools will always be the top 15. It just cycles

This is correct... Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Miami, others, etc, have had dynasties... This current one will end, as well...

Jarius
12-31-2018, 07:00 AM
Well a short time ago, we had a program that could not stay on the field with the mid tier p5 programs. Things can and do change in college sports. To say that we can't do things to make the game have more parity is just incorrect. We already made it more equal when scholarships went from unlimited to 85. When SEC (and other conference tv contracts) exploded, that made it even more equal. There will always be programs that stand out above the rest, but we can make it harder for that to happen, which would make the games more fun to watch. Knowing who is going to win the National title (or knowing what 4 or 5 teams are going to have a shot) every year is not as fun as it could be.....

dawgs
12-31-2018, 02:05 PM
This is correct... Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Miami, others, etc, have had dynasties... This current one will end, as well...

At least in the last 40 years, no program has had a run like bama though. That's undeniable. Usually by season 6-7 of a dynastic, you can see it crumbling (whiffed on big recruits, assistant coaching changes catch up to them, HC heads to the nfl, ncaa scandal, off-field issues, etc). At this point, I can't see bama stumbling until Saban retires and even then, there will be 2-3 seasons of Saban talent for the next guy to win (much in the same way Larry Coker won a natty with Miami after butch davis left for the nfl or helfrich taking Oregon to the natty game after chip headed to the nfl).