PDA

View Full Version : I'm back, and I'm excited we're playing Iowa

Mutt the Hoople
12-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Iowa is my second team behind Mississippi State. I've only been to one Iowa game myself, but was a doozie- 1985, #1 Iowa vs. #2 Michigan, Bo Shembechler was their coach, Jim Harbaugh was their Quarterback.

It was the only game I've ever rushed a field (until the 2007 Superregional win against Clemson). My four Iowa cousins (three graduated from Iowa, one runs a professional painting company and they painted Carver-Hawkeye Arena).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLzSpaEnA64

RocketDawg
12-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Iowa is my second team behind Mississippi State. I've only been to one Iowa game myself, but was a doozie- 1985, #1 Iowa vs. #2 Michigan, Bo Shembechler was their coach, Jim Harbaugh was their Quarterback.

It was the only game I've ever rushed a field (until the 2007 Superregional win against Clemson). My four Iowa cousins (three graduated from Iowa, one runs a professional painting company and they painted Carver-Hawkeye Arena).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLzSpaEnA64

Looking at the Iowa coach ... that was the era of helmet-hair.

Mutt the Hoople
12-29-2018, 11:33 AM
They've had only two coaches the past 40 seasons- Hayden Fry (in the video), and Kirk Ferentz. They are the definition of consistent.

Their 1985 season was alot like out 2014 season- Number one for a while, but ran into a buzz saw at the end (for them, it was Ohio State, and then the Rose Bowl where they always lose).

That game was so exciting, I went out and bought a #36 Larry Station Jersey, one I still have. Since my gastric surgery, I can actually fit into it again (btw, since January 2017, I've lost 160 pounds).

Hawkeyegoofball
12-29-2018, 11:41 AM
They've had only two coaches the past 40 seasons- Hayden Fry (in the video), and Kirk Ferentz. They are the definition of consistent.

Their 1985 season was alot like out 2014 season- Number one for a while, but ran into a buzz saw at the end (for them, it was Ohio State, and then the Rose Bowl where they always lose).

That game was so exciting, I went out and bought a #36 Larry Station Jersey, one I still have. Since my gastric surgery, I can actually fit into it again (btw, since January 2017, I've lost 160 pounds).

Some would argue that it should have been Hayden Fry and then Bob Stoops.

Stoops, an Iowa alumnus, wanted the job but Iowa admin fiddle farted around after his interview.

But, Iowa was being true to their word to interview Kirk Ferentz before making a decision.

The OU AD was aggressive and landed his man the next day. And Iowa hired Ferentz.

Worked out for everyone in the end.

Mutt the Hoople
12-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Iowa has been a consistently good athletic program the past 40 years. Nothing spectacular (except for wrestling), but solid and well-coached programs all around.

Had my uncle and three of my cousins (and a couple of their children) graduate Iowa. Since my uncle is a native of chicago (and a big Cubs fan), I guess he qualifies as a stereotypical "Illinois frat boy" (that's what my Iowa State cousins call Iowa students).

Personally, I grew up in Mississippi and now live in Texas. However, both my parents were from Iowa and all my extended family is from there (mom's side was Iowa fans, dad's side Iowa State). Used to go up in the summer time. Used to think that's where I wanted to live after graduating college....until I experienced my first winter up there. When Grandma died, went up there for a funeral. Sun didn't come up until 7:30 A.M., set a 4:30 P.M., everything was brown....found out why my parents never even thought of moving back up when dad retired from the Marines, and just why midwestern farmers sometimes axe-murder their families.

IMissJack
12-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Looking at the Iowa coach ... that was the era of helmet-hair.

I really did not know anything about Hayden Fry, but I always liked him when I was a kid. I liked the way his teams always fought hard, even though they did not get the love that Mich and OSU did.

IowaFan
12-31-2018, 11:45 AM
Born and raised in Iowa, went to Iowa, and I'm a huge Hawkeye fan.
I can count one one hand the number of people I know that actually gave a shit about wrestling.
I mean yeah, we were all happy about the championships, but I knew maybe 4 people total who actually watched, or attended, matches.
Iowa is not a Wrestling state. Always been a Football state, followed by Basketball. Wrestling is a very distant 3rd.

I was at that '85 game too as a kid.

Hope tomorrow's game is good, but I fear Iowa will get destroyed.
These SEC teams in bowls this year hasn't been very encouraging either.

Mutt the Hoople
12-31-2018, 11:50 AM
I always thought they were nuts about wrestling....real wrestling, NOT WWE Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan rasslin'.

BTW, one of my cousins was on his high school wrestling team. Had to work out every morning at 5:30 A.M.

Funny story- the night before, we were out on the town in Iowa City, drinking pretty heavily. I decided to pick my cousin, lost my balance, and ran her into the side of a dumpster. Separated her shoulder. Good times.

Dawg61
12-31-2018, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure Mutt has enough family members that went to Iowa to field a baseball team.

Mutt the Hoople
12-31-2018, 12:13 PM
Pretty sure Mutt has enough family members that went to Iowa to field a baseball team.

Basketball team.

IowaFan
12-31-2018, 12:17 PM
I always thought they were nuts about wrestling

Not really.
Just look at the attendance for matches.
Carver Hawkeye Arena gets 2/3 full at best.
While that does lead the country for Wrestling, it doesn't mean the whole state is nuts about wrestling.
I've never been to dual in my life. Never watched one either!

It doesn't help that I can't stand wrestlers.
Those guys are a different breed, like a serious throwback to the Cro-Magnon era species.
Straight degenerates who just wanted to get drunk and fight if they didn't hook up with some skank.
Literally, those guys were just a few learned behavioral steps away from dragging girls back to their dorms by the hair.

Mutt the Hoople
12-31-2018, 12:22 PM
Those guys are a different breed, like a serious throwback to the Cro-Magnon era species.
Straight degenerates who just wanted to get drunk and fight if they didn't hook up with some skank.
Literally, those guys were just a few learned behavioral steps away from dragging girls back to their dorms by the hair.
you say that like it's a bad thing.....seriously, there's a lot of football and basketball players like that as well.

At Mississippi State, our big sport is baseball. We are going to have one of the nicest stadiums in all college baseball when we finish renovating Dudy Noble Field.
http://populous.com/wp-content/uploads/Header-2.jpg

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 12:50 PM
you say that like it's a bad thing.....seriously, there's a lot of football and basketball players like that as well.

At Mississippi State, our big sport is baseball. We are going to have one of the nicest stadiums in all college baseball when we finish renovating Dudy Noble Field.
http://populous.com/wp-content/uploads/Header-2.jpg

Baseball is pretty big, but it's not our primary big sport. Football is ... draws the most fans ... and financially supports all the others.

IowaFan
12-31-2018, 01:39 PM

Ha, true. But nowhere near the level of wrestling.
Basketball and football players, most of them at least, had some semblance of something more than just brain stem dominant brutes.

That baseball stadium looks awesome.

Dawg61
12-31-2018, 01:40 PM
The best thing about wrestling is Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider in Vision Quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XdFExsqoC4

Mutt the Hoople
12-31-2018, 02:39 PM
I always thought this was the greatest moment in Wrestling history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC6SJ4_bCIY

Recreationalgynecologist
12-31-2018, 08:49 PM
Not really.
Just look at the attendance for matches.
Carver Hawkeye Arena gets 2/3 full at best.
While that does lead the country for Wrestling, it doesn't mean the whole state is nuts about wrestling.
I've never been to dual in my life. Never watched one either!

Iowa has led the NCAA wrestling wrestling in attendance for the last 12 years. The largest crowd in arena history was at a wrestling meet. The wrestling team has 20 undefeated home wrestling seasons at Carver Hawkeye Arena. The HS state wrestling tourney outdraws both the girls/boys HS tourney. Did a wrestler cuck you? Wrestlers are a tad bit eccentric but hardly cro-magnons and likely have a better GPA than most non beta make men’s sports.

RocketDawg
12-31-2018, 08:52 PM
Iowa has led the NCAA wrestling wrestling in attendance for the last 12 years. The largest crowd in arena history was at a wrestling meet. The wrestling team has 20 undefeated home wrestling seasons at Carver Hawkeye Arena. Did a wrestler cuck you? Wrestlers are a tad bit eccentric but hardly cro-magnons and likely have a better GPA than most non beta make men?s sports.

The problem is, watching wrestling is about like watching fishing ... nothing happens except for a fleeting moment of activity. And it's two guys hugging each other all the time .... **

dawgday166
12-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Iowa has led the NCAA wrestling wrestling in attendance for the last 12 years. The largest crowd in arena history was at a wrestling meet. The wrestling team has 20 undefeated home wrestling seasons at Carver Hawkeye Arena. The HS state wrestling tourney outdraws both the girls/boys HS tourney. Did a wrestler cuck you? Wrestlers are a tad bit eccentric but hardly cro-magnons and likely have a better GPA than most non beta make men’s sports.

Y'all any good in football? ***

Recreationalgynecologist
12-31-2018, 08:57 PM
We’re not bad. We’re better at sending guys to the pros than winning the conference. We love to punt and play the field position game!