PDA

View Full Version : Iowa / Perdue

NWADAWG
12-28-2018, 04:50 PM
The team that got trashed by auburn today beat Iowa by 2 points and scored 38 points on that amazing Iowa D.

TUSK
12-28-2018, 05:08 PM
I sense some betting about to take place...

MetEdDawg
12-28-2018, 05:20 PM
That Purdue team is weird as hell. Beat Boston College, Iowa, and Ohio State all as ranked teams. But they lost to Minnesota by 31 and Eastern Michigan.

But a 6-6 Big 10 should never stand a chance against a team as talented as Auburn.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 05:43 PM
The team that got trashed by auburn today beat Iowa by 2 points and scored 38 points on that amazing Iowa D.

Understand your point.

But it's not really a sting.

Losing to a division opponent who knows you well, and playing on their field, losing on a walk off field goal, is nothing to be ashamed about.

Losses happen. Them other guys are trying too.

If you think this Purdue loss somehow dampens our spirits or enthusiasm for the Outback Bowl then you aren't thinking clearly.

And, I don't think the players or coaches on Iowa's football team give two craps about it.

What should else should I say without being a prick? You got blanked by Bama (24-0) and beaten by LSU by 16 with 4 INTs- both at home. OK. That's pricky.

Other than beating a 5-7 Kansas State team on the road, what other meaningful victory outside of Starkville do you have? A very poor Mississippi team?

Again, not fair.

I'm not trying to be nasty - but, rather, realistic.

Look, I know you had some tough losses to good teams: Alabama, Florida, LSU and Kentucky.

I wish your team the best of health and the greatest of success in this game.

MSU is and should be favored to win this game. I would pick them with my heart and mind.

You've got a really good team.

Iowa has a pretty good team as well, and they will do their absolute best to give you a great game.

Let's go.

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Thought you were calling Iowa chickens at first

IMissJack
12-28-2018, 06:07 PM

After the '91 Liberty Bowl vs. Air Force, I don't take any bowl win for granted. If we play to our potential, we win though.

Bully13
12-28-2018, 06:09 PM
Big 10 fans still have a hard time realizing the SEC surpassed them 20 some odd years past. They are not an overly intelligent bunch.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Big 10 fans still have a hard time realizing the SEC surpassed them 20 some odd years past. They are not an overly intelligent bunch.

Oh, I think we all know the pedestal upon which the SEC is perched.

And rightfully so.

You've earned it.

But it doesn't mean we won't come an compete against you.

Bothrops
12-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Auburn was ready obviously. Big difference in overall athleticism.

Todd4State
12-28-2018, 06:31 PM
Understand your point.

Losing to a division opponent who knows you well, and playing on their field, losing on a walk off field goal, is nothing to be ashamed about.

If you think this Purdue loss somehow dampens our spirits or enthusiasm for the Outback Bowl then you aren't thinking clearly.

And, I don't think the players or coaches on Iowa's football team give two craps about it.

What should else should I say without being a prick? You got blanked by Bama (24-0) and beaten by LSU by 16 with 4 INTs- both at home. OK. That's pricky.

Other than beating a 5-7 Kansas State team on the road, what other meaningful victory outside of Starkville do you have? A very poor Mississippi team?

Again, not fair.

Look, I know you had some tough losses to good teams: Alabama, Florida, LSU and Kentucky.

MSU is and should be favored to win this game. I would pick them with my heart and mind.

Iowa has a pretty good team as well, and they will do their absolute best to give you a great game.

Let's go.

We beat an 8-4 Texas A&M team and a now 8-5 Auburn team. I'd say both of those wins are pretty good.

RocketDawg
12-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Understand your point.

Again, not fair.

Let's go.

Not that it alters your points to a great degree, but the LSU game was in Baton Rouge.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 06:43 PM

Agree.

Auburn had better talent across the board and played smart. Powerful combination.

MSU will have better talent across the board in the Outback vs Iowa - no debate on that.

It's kind of the difference between being intelligent (talented) and being smart (skilled).

I told my son when he went to college that I knew he was intelligent - his GPA and test scores indicated to - but also related to him that now was the time when we understood how smart he was (intelligence+decisions[skill]).

These games are mostly about being smart, i.e., making good decisions. Reacting, not thinking.

Sometimes, but not all the time, great athletes work more on instinct and less on fundamentals. Which is a flaw or a gap to attack. They believe they can make space and time up because, well, they're that good. Almost.

Iowa has a few but not many great athletes, but the one thing they have is: smart football players. They can't stack up with MSU from a natural talent standpoint.

Point being, athleticism has tremendous value in this game, but it's not always about that when it comes to wins and losses.

In life and on the field, you need to be smart.

If you combine talent & smartness - well, then, you have the ultimate winning combination.

But, smart can beat talent if talent doesn't work hard enough and understand (and accept) it's limitations.

parabrave
12-28-2018, 06:47 PM

and Gus was also coaching for his job

DownwardDawg
12-28-2018, 07:21 PM
Not that it alters your points to a great degree, but the LSU game was in Baton Rouge.

And the Bama game was in Tuscaloosa.

NWADAWG
12-28-2018, 07:30 PM
We soundly beat the team that trashed the team that beat your team.

Now, does that guarantee a Dawg win? No

But it sure as heck doesn't mean the odd are against us.

Have a great game and may the odds be forever in your favor.

TUSK
12-28-2018, 07:50 PM
I ran a few numbers.... For those that care about data and such... It won't explain err thing, but it sheds some light on the AU/Purdue Debacle we witnessed today....

247 Composite Team Talent - Big Ten/SEC

Team Avg. Total 4/5*
Ohio St. 92.89 - 66
Alabama 92.56 - 63
Georgia 92.07 - 61
-
LSU 90.18 - 50
Michigan 89.64 - 44
Auburn 89.32 - 44
PSU 88.64 - 41
A&M 88.63 - 35
Tennessee 88.40 - 35
Florida 88.28 - 35
-
Ole Miss 87.11 - 17
SC 86.81 - 25
Miss. St. 86.58 - 22
Nebraska 86.28 - 17
Mich St. 86.09 - 14
M'land 85.92 - 19
Arkie 85.85 - 16
UK 85.84 - 14
Wisky 85.34 - 7
Mizzou 84.69 - 6
NWN 84.63 - 4
Iowa 84.50 - 4
Vandy 84.35 - 8
Minn. 83.56 - 4
Indiana 83.47 - 0
Illinois 83.35 - 3
Rutgers 83.33 - 5
Purdue 82.01 - 1

gravedigger
12-28-2018, 08:00 PM
I ran a few numbers.... For those that care about data and such... It won't explain err thing, but it sheds some light on the AU/Purdue Debacle we witnessed today....

247 Composite Team Talent - Big Ten/SEC

Team Avg. Total 4/5*
Ohio St. 92.89 - 66
Alabama 92.56 - 63
Georgia 92.07 - 61
-
LSU 90.18 - 50
Michigan 89.64 - 44
Auburn 89.32 - 44
PSU 88.64 - 41
A&M 88.63 - 35
Tennessee 88.40 - 35
Florida 88.28 - 35
-
Ole Miss 87.11 - 17
SC 86.81 - 25
Miss. St. 86.58 - 22
Nebraska 86.28 - 17
Mich St. 86.09 - 14
M'land 85.92 - 19
Arkie 85.85 - 16
UK 85.84 - 14
Wisky 85.34 - 7
Mizzou 84.69 - 6
NWN 84.63 - 4
Iowa 84.50 - 4
Vandy 84.35 - 8
Minn. 83.56 - 4
Indiana 83.47 - 0
Illinois 83.35 - 3
Rutgers 83.33 - 5
Purdue 82.01 - 1

Whew. Glad we don?t play that ole miss team. Looks like it would be a pretty tough matchup.

TUSK
12-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Whew. Glad we don?t play that ole miss team. Looks like it would be a pretty tough matchup.

the data becomes exponentially less reliable the further you get below "The Diamond Line" (which is currently 88.00)...

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Understand your point.

Again, not fair.

Let's go.

We were at LSU and Bama and both are 4 TDs better than you. We will beat yall by at least 14

TUSK
12-28-2018, 08:16 PM
We were at LSU and Bama and both are 4 TDs better than you. We will beat yall by at least 14

You are baiting me, aren't you?*

BuckyIsAB****
12-28-2018, 09:28 PM
You are baiting me, aren't you?*

Str8 fax homie