PDA

View Full Version : QB play in bowl game

msstate7
12-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Has joe said if key will get some series? I really hope we have a couple scheduled against a good defense like Iowa. By no means am I saying bench fitz or something stupid like that. I think a few scheduled drives for key would be a smart play going into next season though

Johnson85
12-28-2018, 11:50 AM
Has joe said if key will get some series? I really hope we have a couple scheduled against a good defense like Iowa. By no means am I saying bench fitz or something stupid like that. I think a few scheduled drives for key would be a smart play going into next season though

I'm guessing not. You would think he'd want to get a qb experience for next year, but you would have thought that against Arky and UM also.

Hot Rock
12-28-2018, 11:55 AM
If Key is the starter next year, he will be ready whether he gets a series or not.

The dude lead them in the bowl game last year to a win and has seen live action. He will know the offense by next fall well and with plenty of practice and real games vs some softies early in the year.

It would be nice to get up big and let him finish off the game in the 4th qtr but that is more on me wanting to see State dominate.

msstate7
12-28-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm guessing not. You would think he'd want to get a qb experience for next year, but you would have thought that against Arky and UM also.

It is strange he wasn't used more in those games and the LSU game after fitz got his bell rang

Johnson85
12-28-2018, 12:09 PM
If Key is the starter next year, he will be ready whether he gets a series or not.

The dude lead them in the bowl game last year to a win and has seen live action. He will know the offense by next fall well and with plenty of practice and real games vs some softies early in the year.

It would be nice to get up big and let him finish off the game in the 4th qtr but that is more on me wanting to see State dominate.

That's usually not the way it works. Qbs typically need live game action to get better and don't just step in ready to perform at a high level. Yes, Key has had more experience than some with basically an egg bowl, the Gator Bowl, and a cupcake, but two of those games were in a different offense and one was not against FBS competition.

Cooterpoot
12-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Only way KT should play is if (a) he has to (b) we get a big lead or (C) Fitz has an LSU game. A couple series on Jan. 1 isn’t going to make or break him.

Pollodawg
12-28-2018, 12:16 PM
One series in a bowl won’t determine how ready Key is for next season. He’s gonna be good to go. Just.....Chillout on him a little.

msstate7
12-28-2018, 12:19 PM
I just don't think bowls are very important outside the playoffs and NY6. I like getting young guys PT in bowls

Johnson85
12-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Only way KT should play is if (a) he has to (b) we get a big lead or (C) Fitz has an LSU game. A couple series on Jan. 1 isn’t going to make or break him.

It's not make or break, but it'd be helpful. And it seems like a couple of series against Arky, Ole Miss, and Iowa running the offense could have been a significant help towards his off season development. There's going to be growing pains with a new QB. Just would ahve been nice to get more of them out of the way this year to the extent it coudl be done without jeopardizing games.

MetEdDawg
12-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Depending on how the game goes I would give him the 2nd quarter. Let Fitz start it and end it, but give Key some series at a point in the game where we can recover if anything crazy happens.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 01:43 PM

With all due respect, I would proffer an emphatic 'NO!'

Go with who got you there. Fitz is the guy for this game.

Keytaon will have his chance next year and has benefited from 15 bowl practices and will continue to develop over the spring and through the summer.

Don't get cute in this game, and don't rush things when they need not be rushed.

There's little that Fitz can't do that Key can.

I understand the desire for wrinkles, particularly with 25 days of film/analysis/prep - but put your wrinkles in with those who brought you this far.

Think of rhythm, pace, consistency and leadership on the field Jan. 1.

Fitz.

msstate7
12-28-2018, 02:02 PM
With all due respect, I would proffer an emphatic 'NO!'

Go with who got you there. Fitz is the guy for this game.

Keytaon will have his chance next year and has benefited from 15 bowl practices and will continue to develop over the spring and through the summer.

Don't get cute in this game, and don't rush things when they need not be rushed.

There's little that Fitz can't do that Key can.

I understand the desire for wrinkles, particularly with 25 days of film/analysis/prep - but put your wrinkles in with those who brought you this far.

Think of rhythm, pace, consistency and leadership on the field Jan. 1.

Fitz.

I don't wanna play key some bc i think he's better... I don't think he is. I want to give key a series or 2 bc I want to see if this practice time has helped him improve and to give him PT against a quality defense in a glorified scrimmage. I won't get bent out of shape either way though

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 03:21 PM
I don't wanna play key some bc i think he's better... I don't think he is. I want to give key a series or 2 bc I want to see if this practice time has helped him improve and to give him PT against a quality defense in a glorified scrimmage. I won't get bent out of shape either way though

That's cool and understandable.

But, I'm assuming that he has had plenty of experience day to day going up against one of the best defenses in the nation in practice - as he is running with the 2s.

Great things for him.

bulldawg28
12-28-2018, 03:28 PM
Key may have to play if Iowa attacks and takes away the run. If nothing else we should have new wrinkles for a bowl game to get production.

Dawgfan77
12-28-2018, 04:09 PM
We are going after a transfer. Things will heat up after bowl and coaching convention

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Key may have to play if Iowa attacks and takes away the run. If nothing else we should have new wrinkles for a bowl game to get production.

Iowa won't attack, in the general sense.

They're not a heavy blitzing team, and they won't change that for a bowl game.

When they blitz, very rarely, it's well disguised and effective if not for a sack but a pressure.

They're actually pretty simplistic yet crafty.

Iowa believes in it's front 4 to bring pocket pressure (they actually have depth for the first time and rotate 8). And they're gap sound.

This year they brought the spur position into play and moved from a 4-3-4 base to a 4-5-3 look, because they had the player who could effectively pull that spur spot off (Amani Hooker, Jr, 2nd team all america) and were weak at LB (youth/inexperience).

On the back end (secondary), they lull you to sleep. They trick your eyes because, in most cases, they play soft and make you think you have room. Then, they shift to a soft coverage at snap, tighten up, and jump routes (often with a double cover in play).

They manufacture very little.

They play to earn it.

Best bet is to attack mid-field at the LB level - that's the Achilles heel of the defense (sans Hooker).

Peace.

mcain31
12-28-2018, 04:26 PM

When they blitz, very rarely, it's well disguised and effective if not for a sack but a pressure.

Iowa believes in it's front 4 to bring pocket pressure (they actually have depth for the first time and rotate 8). And they're gap sound.

This year they brought the spur position into play and moved from a 4-3-4 base to a 4-5-3 look, because they had the player who could effectively pull that spur spot off (Amani Hooker, Jr, 2nd team all america) and were weak at LB (youth/inexperience).

On the back end (secondary), they lull you to sleep. They trick your eyes because, in most cases, they play soft and make you think you have room. Then, they shift to a soft coverage at snap, tighten up, and jump routes (often with a double cover in play).

They play to earn it.

Best bet is to attack mid-field at the LB level - that's the Achilles heel of the defense (sans Hooker).

Peace.

A 4-5-3 would be 12 players on the field

Johnson85
12-28-2018, 04:26 PM

They play to earn it.

Peace.

Well shit, no wonder your D has good stats if they are getting to run a 4-5-3.

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Well shit, no wonder your D has good stats if they are getting to run a 4-5-3.

And Purdue D must be running a 3-3-3 against AU. Math a graduate course in the Big 10?****

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 04:45 PM
A 4-5-3 would be 12 players on the field

Ha!

No wonder we played that well on defense!!!!

My bad.

4-5-2.

You guys are quick.

:)

PS. I'll hire an editor for my posts.

dawgday166
12-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Ha!

No wonder we played that well on defense!!!!

My bad.

4-5-2.

You guys are quick.

:)

PS. I'll hire an editor for my posts.

I'm thinking on this 4-5-2 look. That back 7 better be able to run and hit. Hadn't watched y'all so don't know.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 06:12 PM
I'm thinking on this 4-5-2 look. That back 7 better be able to run and hit. Hadn't watched y'all so don't know.

They're physical on the back end. Have to be in the B1G.

Have been playing young (freshman) corners lately, so that is a liability from an eye and position standpoint.

Fitz has a really strong arm, and he's really aggressive (i.e., throwing into tight windows) - which could potentially bite him in the butt in this game.

Iowa's LBs can't really cover like they should be expected to (except, perhaps, for the OLB).

Being truthful, there is not much about the MSU passing game that makes me nervous.

Sure, they can slip a few in here and there - just like Iowa can - but over the course of a game it's not a threat I would be overly concerned about.

Same with Iowa's passing game as they will hit a few but the consistency isn't there.

RougeDawg
12-28-2018, 06:12 PM
KT not playing more in the games this year, a normal backup would play, tells me that Joe does not think he is the answer next year.

He apparently is not ready or grasping the offense. His series against A&M looked like a high school freshman playing his first college action.

bulldawg28
12-28-2018, 06:29 PM
KT not playing more in the games this year, a normal backup would play, tells me that Joe does not think he is the answer next year.

He apparently is not ready or grasping the offense. His series against A&M looked like a high school freshman playing his first college action.

That was a lot of gauging for 3 plays. His entire game the 1st of the year and Arkansas say differently.

msstate7
12-28-2018, 06:37 PM

See, we can agree on something haha

msstate7
12-28-2018, 06:38 PM
That was a lot of gauging for 3 plays. His entire game the 1st of the year and Arkansas say differently.

Yeah, not sure you can gather much from that drive vs aTm. I do think rouge is right on first paragraph, unfortunately bc I like key

RocketDawg
12-28-2018, 06:45 PM
They're physical on the back end. Have to be in the B1G.

Have been playing young (freshman) corners lately, so that is a liability from an eye and position standpoint.

Fitz has a really strong arm, and he's really aggressive (i.e., throwing into tight windows) - which could potentially bite him in the butt in this game.

Iowa's LBs can't really cover like they should be expected to (except, perhaps, for the OLB).

Being truthful, there is not much about the MSU passing game that makes me nervous.

Sure, they can slip a few in here and there - just like Iowa can - but over the course of a game it's not a threat I would be overly concerned about.

Same with Iowa's passing game as they will hit a few but the consistency isn't there.

I suppose that's a nice way of putting it. **

thf24
12-28-2018, 07:15 PM
That's usually not the way it works. Qbs typically need live game action to get better and don't just step in ready to perform at a high level. Yes, Key has had more experience than some with basically an egg bowl, the Gator Bowl, and a cupcake, but two of those games were in a different offense and one was not against FBS competition.

Just how often do you get a comfortable opportunity to give your backup live reps against quality opposition when your starter is healthy? Not very much I would think. If you've put the game away, you're probably not getting the other side's best effort, whether they're good or bad. I'd also argue that the quality of the reps against the level of effort and focus Arkansas or OM brought this year wasn't a whole lot more than that of SFA playing its guts out in the season opener.

bulldawg28
12-28-2018, 09:45 PM
Yeah, not sure you can gather much from that drive vs aTm. I do think rouge is right on first paragraph, unfortunately bc I like key

That's too much pressure on a new coach to bench the university's favored son.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2018, 09:56 PM
I'd love to see Mayden get a series or two.

Side note: Looks like we are going to play a lot of 4-3 on defense with Gay, Lewis and Thompson on the field together. This is based on Iowa's offensive personnel.

Todd4State
12-29-2018, 01:39 AM
That's too much pressure on a new coach to bench the university's favored son.

I think it would have been a REALLY bad look for Moorhead to bench a guy that was coming off of an injury and coming into the season was about to set some SEC records for rushing by a QB. And a QB that didn't sign up to play for Moorhead and had to because of a coaching change which is something beyond his control.

That said I'm not reading to much into Key's playing time this year. Joe obviously trusted him enough to bring him first off of the bench this year. The thing is while the future is important- the present is also just as important. We have a lot of fans that lose sight of that sometimes. Nick should start and play most of the snaps barring injury in the Outback Bowl. This is the bowl that he in part earned this year with the season he had and he should be allowed to finish it out barring injury or a blow out. In two years I'm sure I will feel the same way about Key. If Key plays it's a bonus. Of course, Key has starting experience in a NYD bowl game and was successful so there's that.

I like Key's skill set as a QB and I think he actually will make better decisions than Nick as far as distributing the ball to our other players. I think Nick is a better raw athlete than Key but I will trade athleticism for better decision making. I'm also hoping that Key's relationship with Whop will help both of them and us next year. The thing I want to see Key do in the offseason is really step up and take the reigns as a leader for the team. But when I've seen Key play this year I haven't gotten the sense that he doesn't understand the offense or anything like that.

deadheaddawg
12-29-2018, 03:20 AM
Holy crap. It's only Friday and we have a big enough lead to want the back up QB in? Game must already over

Jo mo got this thing rolling.

bulldawg28
12-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Holy crap. It's only Friday and we have a big enough lead to want the back up QB in? Game must already over

Jo mo got this thing rolling.

The more I think about this game i'm predicting us to win by 17. Joe Moe's familiarity and having never lost to them at Penn state gives me confidence. I'm also realizing the guy can really coach. We have us a good coach running the program.