PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach on Iowa

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Found this quote from Mike Leach, who coached in Iowa way back when, in a presser leading up to the Iowa State-Washington State Alamo Bowl tonight. Classic Leach.

Q: Coach Leach, what is your lasting impression of the state of Iowa and the people in Iowa?

Mike Leach: Outstanding people in Iowa, very down-to-earth people in Iowa. It was a great place to be. I was in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, of course, Iowa Wesleyan College. Of course every town has some unique thing, unique place, unique story. Iowa is kind of a fascinating place.

It was kind of funny, Iowans love Iowa. There's actually a great book, I think it's called Breakfast in America, by Bill Bryson, and he's from Iowa, he talks about Iowa, travels across the U.S.

Anyway, this is going to happen in this bowl, too. Folks from Iowa, they'd be going somewhere really cool. They'd be heading to, I don't know, Disneyland. Yeah, we're going to Disneyland, see what all that Mickey Mouse stuff is all about. Then when it was time to go, they'd be at the airport a couple of hours before the plane left. They're on the plane, get back there, then they go to Maid-Rite or something once they get back, have their coffee.

They'll say, yeah, we went down there to that Orlando areas, went to Disneyland, a little of that. It was nice. Ain't nothing like Iowa, though. Ain't nothing like Iowa, though. (Laughter)

People are enthusiastic about the place, it was a captivating place.

KnightHawk
12-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Just don't visit in the winter.

parabrave
12-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Or if you ever see a bunch of kids running around town with farm tools dripping with blood in there hands.

Jack Lambert
12-28-2018, 12:00 PM

Just the opposite in the summer here. Don't come in July.

msudawglb
12-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Just the opposite in the summer here. Don't come in July.

Oh, I disagree...that?s when the clothing gets the smallest. The scenery in the summer is the best.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Oh, I disagree...that?s when the clothing gets the smallest. The scenery in the summer is the best.

Yours or her clothing get smaller?

Pretty important distinction.

Bully13
12-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Yours or her clothing get smaller?

Pretty important distinction.

Lose goofer. Our women dont play field hockey like y'alls do. Btw, as an immigrant, you've done an admirable job.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Lose goofer. Our women dont play field hockey like y'alls do. Btw, as an immigrant, you've done an admirable job.

Those Field Hockey girls are from the east coast.

Title IX in full effect.

robert
12-28-2018, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeyegoofball;1045680]Found this quote from Mike Leach, who coached in Iowa way back when, in a presser leading up to the Iowa State-Washington State Alamo Bowl tonight. Classic Leach.

Q: Coach Leach, what is your lasting impression of the state of Iowa and the people in Iowa?

[I]Mike Leach: Outstanding people in Iowa, very down-to-earth people in Iowa. It was a great place to be. I was in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, of course, Iowa Wesleyan College. Of course every town has some unique thing, unique place, unique story. Iowa is kind of a fascinating place.

It was kind of funny, Iowans love Iowa. There's actually a great book, I think it's called Breakfast in America, by Bill Bryson, and he's from Iowa, he talks about Iowa, travels across the U.S.

Anyway, this is going to happen in this bowl, too. Folks from Iowa, they'd be going somewhere really cool. They'd be heading to, I don't know, Disneyland.

They'll say, yeah, we went down there to that Orlando areas, went to Disneyland, a little of that. It was nice. Ain't nothing like Iowa, though. Ain't nothing like Iowa, though. (Laughter)

Disneyland is in California....

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Hawkeyegoofball;1045680]Found this quote from Mike Leach, who coached in Iowa way back when, in a presser leading up to the Iowa State-Washington State Alamo Bowl tonight. Classic Leach.

[I]Mike Leach: Outstanding people in Iowa, very down-to-earth people in Iowa. It was a great place to be. I was in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, of course, Iowa Wesleyan College. Of course every town has some unique thing, unique place, unique story. Iowa is kind of a fascinating place.

Anyway, this is going to happen in this bowl, too. Folks from Iowa, they'd be going somewhere really cool. They'd be heading to, I don't know, Disneyland.

Disneyland is in California....

I know. He meant Disney World.

But he was on a roll...gotta let him go with it.

:)

parabrave
12-28-2018, 05:05 PM
All kidding aside I knew alot of Iowans when I served in the Army and dated a few of them. Seemed all the female nurses in the army were from Iowa. All good people. Only problem was most talked like they were from BAAAston.

Bully13
12-28-2018, 06:12 PM
Every pirate interview needs to be readily available everywhere. He is the bomb. Love that guy.

Howboutdemdogs
12-28-2018, 08:08 PM
I worked in Iowa for years. Good place and yes, there is always something to do. However, they do not know how to put any flavor or spice on the battered pork chop. And yes, all is unsweet tea. Great people there.

parabrave
12-28-2018, 09:30 PM
I worked in Iowa for years. Good place and yes, there is always something to do. However, they do not know how to put any flavor or spice on the battered pork chop. And yes, all is unsweet tea. Great people there.

See any Baseball fields being constructed while you were there?***