PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts before the bowl game

KnightHawk
12-27-2018, 11:22 PM
Hi again guys. It's been kinda quiet around here in regards to the upcoming game. Thought I'd pass along some final thoughts before heading out on vacation.

1. The more I've thought about this game, the less I like Iowa's chances against your very good defense. If we can get an inside power game going, especially with our decent RB Sargent (#10), I think we'll have a shot as it will set up play action. Also, TE Hockenson (#38) will have to make a few big plays as well. I expect the MSU D to go man on our wideouts, stack the box and bring a variety of blitzes to keep us off balance. QB Nate Stanley (#4) has to at least be competent and not make any huge mistakes. Mississippi native WR Brandon Smith (#12) has continued to improve as the season has worn on and might make a play or two.

2. I'm interested to see just how much your QB has improved throwing the ball. I know he had a good end to the season, but not sure he makes you guys two-dimensional enough to allow your running game to dominate vs a very good Iowa defense. I am impressed with your two RBs and know they will be a handful to contain as well. The Hawks do typically play the option well due to good discipline. Will be interesting to see if we can hang with your athletes.

3. Obviously, turnovers and special teams will probably play a role in the outcome as well. I love our kickoff return game ISM (#6), but not sure he will get opportunities with the strength of most kickers legs lately. He's not shy to bring the ball out of the endzone and gets 30 yards per KOR. Good speed and good moves. Usually, Iowa gets a lot of hidden yardage in the punting game, but this year was not a good year for that. Iowa's punter does both conventional punts (not very well) and rugby-style punts (better, but not great). MSU will need to be cognizant of where the ball is on those to avoid contact downfield with the low kicks.

4. In the last two games we had vs SEC teams (Tennessee and Florida), we had two different experiences. In the Tennessee game, they came out and blew our doors off with Hurd and Kamara being to good to contain. Just totally overmatched and nothing worked for Iowa. The Florida game was one of missed opportunities where we just couldn't get the ball in the endzone and eventually lost confidence and momentum and let the game get away in the second half. If our offense can't move the ball, we will have to get turnovers on D or things could get ugly. Again, not sold on our offense and we need to have our inconsistent QB have a good game. He can and if he does, we will be very competitive.

5. I'm gonna give two predictions because I have a really hard time saying my favorite team is going to lose. I do think it's going to be higher scoring than most think.

Heart prediction says Iowa 34 MSU 24
Head prediction says MSU 31 Iowa 17

Safe travels to those going to the game and hope to see Bulldog fans walk away with some respect for what I view to be one of the best run programs in the nation in Iowa. No question that I have enjoyed learning about your team and fanbase and have enjoyed what limited interaction we've had here. Best of luck next season!

Cooterpoot
12-27-2018, 11:37 PM
You won’t score 30+ on us if we crash the bus and only half the team shows up. Not sure we can on y’all either. Low scoring game on the way.

Todd4State
12-28-2018, 12:06 AM
The best way for another opponent to score on our defense is for our offense to turn the ball over. I respect the heck out of Iowa and I expect them to try to shorten the game with ball possession and keep it low scoring. Our team goes as Fitz goes. If he plays well and doesn't turn the ball over- we're good.

KnightHawk
12-28-2018, 12:17 AM
The best way for another opponent to score on our defense is for our offense to turn the ball over. I respect the heck out of Iowa and I expect them to try to shorten the game with ball possession and keep it low scoring. Our team goes as Fitz goes. If he plays well and doesn't turn the ball over- we're good.

Agree. We have been a pretty opportunistic team this year, but moreso with picks than fumble recoveries.

Your RBs scare me just as much as Fitz does. Gotta account for them all.

Todd4State
12-28-2018, 12:56 AM
Agree. We have been a pretty opportunistic team this year, but moreso with picks than fumble recoveries.

Hill and Aeris are both legit. Fitz is a really good runner as well. With Joe the focus has shifted towards the running backs being more the primary runners than the QB. Hill is very dynamic in the passing game and Aeris rarely if ever gets tackled for a loss and has good hands as well. He's a good pass blocker as well. Fitzgerald is explosive as a runner as well however I suspect the either makes the wrong read on the option some or he tries to do too much by keeping the ball and that hurts us sometimes.

As long as Fitzgerald has time in the pocket he will typically be fine as a passer.

Pit Bull
12-28-2018, 03:40 AM

Tell your coach to put a spy on Fitz the whole game. He's the only RB that can really hurt you. A.Williams and K.Hill are both good backs, but they probably won't get enough carries to do much damage.....but Fitz is a whole nutha' story. If you forget about him, he'll bust some really big ones and likely for TDs.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Tell your coach to put a spy on Fitz the whole game. He's the only RB that can really hurt you. A.Williams and K.Hill are both good backs, but they probably won't get enough carries to do much damage.....but Fitz is a whole nutha' story. If you forget about him, he'll bust some really big ones and likely for TDs.

Fitz reminds me of QB Jordan Lynch from Northern Illinois, but a bigger version. Lynch was a better passer than Fitz is.

Lynch ran for 1,700 yards one season and 1,900 yards the next - and over 300 yards in a single game.

In his 1,900 yard rushing season, Iowa held him in check on the ground (50 yards) but he smoked us through the air. Northern Illinois won, in Iowa City, 30-27.

We didn't put a spy on him - just emphasized gap discipline.

You have to pick your poison - and his arm proved to be lethal on that day.

KnightHawk
12-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Fitz reminds me of QB Jordan Lynch from Northern Illinois, but a bigger version. Lynch was a better passer than Fitz is.

Lynch ran for 1,700 yards one season and 1,900 yards the next - and over 300 yards in a single game.

In his 1,900 yard rushing season, Iowa held him in check on the ground (50 yards) but he smoked us through the air. Northern Illinois won, in Iowa City, 30-27.

We didn't put a spy on him - just emphasized gap discipline.

You have to pick your poison - and his arm proved to be lethal on that day.

Lynch is one of my favorite non-Iowa players I've seen. Kid just had the "it" factor. Hope we can limit the ground game a bit and we'll be in good shape.

Hot Rock
12-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Fitz had to follow Dak Prescott, it's always hard to follow a legend. I think has won the hearts of the fans. He is one tough son of a gun. Most thought he would never play again after the injury in last years Eggbowl vs the Rebs. Yet, there he was on opening day, starting and giving it all he's got albeit a bit timidly at first. Many of us hoped he would take that next step in the passing game to become "Great" this year. His arm strength plays second fiddle to no one. We all have seen flashes of brilliance. His missing spring training on the new offense and injury rehab just proved too much.

By the time the season started Fitz and the rest of the offense were great against weaker defenses. He had time and everything seemed to work. I began to get excited.

Reality started to kick in during The KY game. We had so many penalties and self-inflicted crap that it was hard to watch. The Fla game was an improvement with fewer penalties but not in execution of the offense, it was still hard to watch.

State beat Auburn with simple will power and I am going to kick your ass. Those guys just refused to lose that game. They got the bye week and got a little better but LSU was just too much. They finally started to get it vs Tex A&M and we started to see what they could do. I still say if we get a fairly called game vs Bama that game could have been different. You just can't give a "GREAT" team that kind of advantage and expect to win. State could move the ball and Bama was struggling vs that D, heck everybody does that. This D is legit.

If you guys score more than 13 points with the one touchdown being a bit of a fluke, I will be surprised. You could possibly run right at them with that NFL factory of an offensive line, that would be my game plan. Run it down our throats and then go over the top when the safeties drop down for support. I don't think that will work, but it's your best shot. Who knows, you could hit a couple bombs and win. The game has to be played.

I am most interested in our offense in this game because I expect State's "D" take a bit of step back next year due to loosing so much talent. We will need that offense to perform better. I know Fitz will be gone but they have 3 or 4 four star QB's right behind him chomping at the bit. Surely Moorhead can get one of them to step up with them having a year in they system, bowl practice, spring and fall camps and the softies early in the season. This won't be like Fitz getting thrown in so quickly. He was a Senior but Mullen never asked him to do so much thinking and he was not ready. I would have loved to have seen him another year. Fitz may have gotten some NFL looks after another year, I still say he gets camp look somewhere.

I am predicting a State win in both my head and my heart:

Head score 13-10 - The defense continually getting State field position and the one turnover deep to get the TD.

Heart score 42-13 with more of a wide open offense showing flashes of brilliance. This game plan won't be like the Ole Miss game where we tried to slow the clock to keep their offense from getting in rhythm. I hope for big plays in the passing game and some runs to blow the doors off you guys. We are going to need that capability going forward.

Have a Happy New Year! except for your team loosing to State.

Bully13
12-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Iowas only shot is if they can stop our O and maybe get a TO or 2. My concern is that Iowa could actually do that.

KnightHawk
12-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Iowas only shot is if they can stop our O and maybe get a TO or 2. My concern is that Iowa could actually do that.

We could. I also like the fact we have a month+ to gameplan against your defense. Might find a couple things to exploit (literally, like one or two things).

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 02:12 PM
We could. I also like the fact we have a month+ to gameplan against your defense. Might find a couple things to exploit (literally, like one or two things).

It will be interesting for Iowa on offense.

This is a very salty defense they're facing.

I've been hearing that Iowa is not confident in deploying much of a 2 TE formation in this game - except perhaps in running situations and then a few continuous downs in more of a hurry up.

With the loss of Fant, it's not like they have one hand tied behind the back, but the next guy up (Wieting - 6'5, 250) is more of an in-line TE, mirroring Hockenson, but not the flex threat that Noah presented.

Additionally, Iowa has been working hard on limiting play calls and expanding formations to catch MSU sleeping (play action), and push the chains enough to make this a tough field position game.

You really have to simplify your game plan (plays) in order to compete with the Bulldogs, offensively.

Keep it simple, stupid.

KnightHawk
12-28-2018, 02:17 PM
It will be interesting for Iowa on offense.

This is a very salty defense they're facing.

I've been hearing that Iowa is not confident in deploying much of a 2 TE formation in this game - except perhaps in running situations and then a few continuous downs in more of a hurry up.

With the loss of Fant, it's not like they have one hand tied behind the back, but the next guy up (Wieting - 6'5, 250) is more of an in-line TE, mirroring Hockenson, but not the flex threat that Noah presented.

Additionally, Iowa has been working hard on limiting play calls and expanding formations to catch MSU sleeping (play action), and push the chains enough to make this a tough field position game.

You really have to simplify your game plan (plays) in order to compete with the Bulldogs, offensively.

Keep it simple, stupid.

Agree. The more you have to think, the slower your feet move.

99jc
12-28-2018, 03:26 PM
If Iowa scores 34 points....trying to be nice here but we're going to beat that Ass into the ground. You will be lucky to score 3 points.

bulldawg28
12-28-2018, 03:32 PM
I'm expecting a low scoring game with no clue who wins. Make Fitz throw and disguise coverages with pressure and anything can happen.

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 03:34 PM
And Purdue beat Iowa. Hope our guys are not watching the AU/Purdue game!

Bully13
12-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Iowa will bring a much better D than upig and shitbird brought. Hope we bring some smarts, attitude and toughness toTampa. Gonna need it.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 03:39 PM
If Iowa scores 34 points....trying to be nice here but we're going to beat that Ass into the ground. You will be lucky to score 3 points.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I don't think Iowa will score anywhere near 34 points on the MSU defense.

I do, however, think that if you believe that MSU is going to beat Iowa's ass into the ground then you have another thing coming.

Iowa will show up, and trade punch-to-the-mouth for punch-to-the-mouth throughout the 3 hours.

MSU should and probably will win - but Iowa will make it very, very difficult to get to the end.

You've got a great defense and a pedestrian offense. Just like Iowa.

We all know how this game is going to go down.

CadaverDawg
12-28-2018, 03:40 PM
The only worry I have in a game like this, is that we have a shitty punter. In a low scoring defensive battle, field position is big. Tucker Day could hurt us badly in this one

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Appreciate your thoughts.

I don't think Iowa will score anywhere near 34 points on the MSU defense.

I do, however, think that if you believe that MSU is going to beat Iowa's ass into the ground then you have another thing coming.

Iowa will show up, and trade punch-to-the-mouth for punch-to-the-mouth throughout the 3 hours.

MSU should and probably will win - but Iowa will make it very, very difficult to get to the end.

You've got a great defense and a pedestrian offense. Just like Iowa.

We all know how this game is going to go down.

Just like Purdue against Auburn? Didn't they beat you?

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 03:50 PM
And Purdue beat Iowa. Hope our guys are not watching the AU/Purdue game!

Yep.

And Purdue waxed Ohio State.

Are we going to get into transitive properties?

Iowa lost to Wisconsin, Northwestern and Penn State as well.

Not the year we wanted. In some sense - feel like you guys do. We could have / should have been 10-2. Oh well.

But, we still have a pretty decent football team.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Just like Purdue against Auburn? Didn't they beat you?

Yes. They beat us at their place by 2.

And they also beat Ohio State at their place by 29.

Like I said in earlier posts, the B1G West has been weird this year.

They're college kids. Crazy stuff happens.

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Yes. They beat us at their place by 2.

And they also beat Ohio State at their place by 29.

Like I said in earlier posts, the B1G West has been weird this year.

They're college kids. Crazy stuff happens.

My favorite State Coach, Jackie Sherrill said that you can only get college teams up to win by emotion a couple of times a year. Purdue was not ready to play AU emotionally or otherwise.

Bully13
12-28-2018, 04:34 PM
My favorite State Coach, Jackie Sherrill said that you can only get college teams up to win by emotion a couple of times a year. Purdue was not ready to play AU emotionally or otherwise.

This. Blowouts rarely depict the actual prowess of the victors or the intebtness of the losers.

However, this barn/Purdue game should bring some added confidence to MSU nation and concern to Iowa.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 04:39 PM

Jackie Sherrill spoke the truth.

Purdue got up emotionally for OSU and Iowa. That's two.

They started out 0-3 (losses to Northwestern, E Michigan and Missouri), had a nice comeback through the middle to latter half of the season, and now..this.

Crapping down their leg.

Brohm sees something we don't see.

Still think he should have bolted for Louisville - but we'll see what happens.

They are what the B1G West is - schizophrenic.

Never know what team is going to show up.

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 04:41 PM
This. Blowouts rarely depict the actual prowess of the victors or the intebtness of the losers.

However, this barn/Purdue game should bring some added confidence to MSU nation and concern to Iowa.

Showing my age, although I was a boy then, so we were actually a good team the year Houston beat us 74 - 0 in the Astrodome?****

Statecoachingblows**
12-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Outback Bowl preview show tonight at 8:30 on espn2 for those interested.

Question for you Iowa guys, may have missed it asked somewhere but, is the turn and wave thing as awesome in person as it looks on Tv? Really awesome thing.

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Outback Bowl preview show tonight at 8:30 on espn2 for those interested.

Question for you Iowa guys, may have missed it asked somewhere but, is the turn and wave thing as awesome in person as it looks on Tv? Really awesome thing.

Is this something like Landshark Fins Up? Had to ask.

fieldcorporal
12-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Showing my age, although I was a boy then, so we were actually a good team the year Houston beat us 74 - 0 in the Astrodome?****

I was at that game - my very first MSU game in person.

I can answer your question.

No. We were not a good team.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 04:57 PM

Why in the world would a cognizant Iowa or MSU fan be concerned or enthusiastic based on the result of the Auburn-Purdue bowl game?

Purdue pissed down their leg despite having 20+ days to prepare. That's their problem. And Auburn really came to play. Simple.

Watching this game should garner neither confidence or trepidation on either side.

We all know you beat Auburn by 14 in Starkville, and that Iowa lost @ Purdue by 2, but neither of those scores have anything to do with this game on Jan. 1.

We'll show up. You'll show up.

Let's go.

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 05:02 PM
I was at that game - my very first MSU game in person.

I can answer your question.

No. We were not a good team.

I once sat by a State DE from Tupelo at a State game who played in the Houston game. He said that one of the State players ran off the field laughing at game's end. He asked him what was so funny about the defeat. The player said, "Well, we made a liar out of Coach. He told us at halftime that if we didn't tighten up they were going to beat us 75 points!"

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Why in the world would a cognizant Iowa or MSU fan be concerned or enthusiastic based on the result of the Auburn-Purdue bowl game?

Purdue pissed down their leg despite having 20+ days to prepare. That's their problem. And Auburn really came to play. Simple.

Watching this game should garner neither confidence or trepidation on either side.

We all know you beat Auburn by 14 in Starkville, and that Iowa lost @ Purdue by 2, but neither of those scores have anything to do with this game on Jan. 1.

We'll show up. You'll show up.

Let's go.

Have enjoyed conversing with you and I hate to admit it as a hardcore State fan, but along with my BS from State, I also have a more recent BA from Ole Miss of all places. Will get back to you after I open another window and look up the meanings of cognizant and trepidation!**** Hail State! Will also read up on that 4-5-3 D for the game Jan 1st!

Statecoachingblows**
12-28-2018, 05:23 PM
Is this something like Landshark Fins Up? Had to ask.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-10-03/iowa-football-fans-wave-childrens-hospital-hawkeyes-newest

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 05:57 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-10-03/iowa-football-fans-wave-childrens-hospital-hawkeyes-newest

Read the article. Great heart warming tradition!

Hawkeyegoofball
12-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Have enjoyed conversing with you and I hate to admit it as a hardcore State fan, but along with my BS from State, I also have a more recent BA from Ole Miss of all places. Will get back to you after I open another window and look up the meanings of cognizant and trepidation!**** Hail State! Will also read up on that 4-5-3 D for the game Jan 1st!

Awesome! I wish you nothing but the best as you move into the new year.

Ping me and I can provide you with definitions for cognizant and trepidation

No need to Google it. I was a Journalism major @ Iowa - so I know.

Bully13
12-28-2018, 07:55 PM
It appears Iowa and MSU have an intellectual efficiency battle brewing. Who has better a deeper vocab and shit. Maybe we should just remove our shirts and bare knuckle it till 2019.

Goldendawg
12-28-2018, 08:07 PM
It appears Iowa and MSU have an intellectual efficiency battle brewing. Who has better a deeper vocab and shit. Maybe we should just remove our shirts and bare knuckle it till 2019.

I hope he knows what the *****'s in my post meant! Hail State!