PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Peters

Dawg61
12-24-2018, 01:34 AM
isn't listed on the mock 2019 NBA draft board by NBAdraftnet. Is there a chance he's returning for his senior season? Looks like he should. If he declares and goes undrafted can he return? Isn't that the new rule put in place starting this year?

skadoosh14
12-24-2018, 03:29 AM
He declared without an agent to get a draft grade last year and came back. He can do the same this year. The new rule (not sure if it was actually passed or not) does allow them to declare without an agent and doesn't require them to withdraw before the draft, so if they're undrafted they can return to school.

He likely wouldn't get drafted this year anyway. Excited to see where Holman goes, though.

Dawg61
12-24-2018, 08:46 AM
He declared without an agent to get a draft grade last year and came back. He can do the same this year. The new rule (not sure if it was actually passed or not) does allow them to declare without an agent and doesn't require them to withdraw before the draft, so if they're undrafted they can return to school.

He likely wouldn't get drafted this year anyway. Excited to see where Holman goes, though.

Ok and now the processing of a player yet to be announced cough* cough* makes more sense. We need another spot opened back up for LP.

Ari Gold
12-24-2018, 09:00 AM
The odds of LP coming back next year is about the same as JE playing college football .

Dawg61
12-24-2018, 10:21 AM
The odds of LP coming back next year is about the same as JE playing college football .

Why though if he's not going to be drafted this year? He has a better shot at the NBA and other avenues by coming back than roaming in the free agent world without a degree to fall back on later.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2018, 10:33 AM
If he continues his recent play he's definitely getting drafted. Last 5 games almost 20ppg & 6.6apg & almost 2spg. Now I'm not expecting 20ppg in SEC play but If he's avg 16-18ppg & 5-7apg then yea he's gone & he would've earned it.

Dawg61
12-24-2018, 10:49 AM
If he continues his recent play he's definitely getting drafted. Last 5 games almost 20ppg & 6.6apg & almost 2spg. Now I'm not expecting 20ppg in SEC play but If he's avg 16-18ppg & 5-7apg then yea he's gone & he would've earned it.

I agree he'd deserve to be drafted but why isn't that being reflected on the mock boards right now? I think it's a mistake for him to leave as it stands right now. He's at way too high of a risk of going undrafted. Don't sign with an agent LP. I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up as I fully expect him to leave, go undrafted and still not come back but the best option imo is for him to comeback. Tired of basketball players making the same stupid decision to chase the money too early.

msbulldog
12-24-2018, 10:54 AM
61, maybe the folks that did that mock draft just screwed up and left him out, mistakes happen all the time.
Merry Christmas!

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2018, 11:13 AM
I agree he'd deserve to be drafted but why isn't that being reflected on the mock boards right now? I think it's a mistake for him to leave as it stands right now. He's at way too high of a risk of going undrafted. Don't sign with an agent LP. I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up as I fully expect him to leave, go undrafted and still not come back but the best option imo is for him to comeback. Tired of basketball players making the same stupid decision to chase the money too early.

It's only a 1/3 of the way through the season. A 1/3 of the way through last year he was a top 20 pick. May want to wait & make sure this stretch is who he really is before going all in on him again.

Dawg2003
12-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Why though if he's not going to be drafted this year? He has a better shot at the NBA and other avenues by coming back than roaming in the free agent world without a degree to fall back on later.

The only thing I can figure is these kids either have people telling them what they want to hear, or they are delusional and think they can make it out of the G league. I mean, look at Malik Newman. Common sense would have told him not to get an agent, so he could come back to Kansas. Yet he did it anyway.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2018, 11:47 AM
The only thing I can figure is these kids either have people telling them what they want to hear, or they are delusional and think they can make it out of the G league. I mean, look at Malik Newman. Common sense would have told him not to get an agent, so he could come back to Kansas. Yet he did it anyway.

Malik wouldn't have been drafted any higher if he would've went back to Kansas. His game is what it is. For Better or worse staying in college 3-4 years doesn't help you improve your stock like in football. It's almost the exact opposite. Sure there are examples here & there but there are very few guys who come back for their 3rd & 4th years of college who rise significantly up draft boards.

Dawg61
12-24-2018, 12:11 PM
Malik wouldn't have been drafted any higher if he would've went back to Kansas. His game is what it is. For Better or worse staying in college 3-4 years doesn't help you improve your stock like in football. It's almost the exact opposite. Sure there are examples here & there but there are very few guys who come back for their 3rd & 4th years of college who rise significantly up draft boards.

I think a player has a better chance to stand out in the NCAA tourney vs college players than they do against other older fringe NBA guys in the G League. Balling out and taking us to the final four gets noticed. Bell for Oregon took them deep in the tourney and got himself drafted when he wasn't rated nearly as high the month before the tourney started. Peters best chance at the NBA is coming back. It's really not debatable.

Ari Gold
12-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Not saying this is true about Lamar, but some kids are just ready to get out of college and move on...

maroonmania
12-24-2018, 12:17 PM

Well then, at least they would get to enjoy a full college career on scholarship and hopefully get an actual degree before they have to move on with life.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Well then, at least they would get to enjoy a full college career on scholarship and hopefully get an actual degree before they have to move on with life.

Yea true but you can make a very nice living in Europe. We've had a ton of guys who have & still are very successful overseas. Like Ari said some kids are just tired of going to class they want to be professionals.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2018, 12:54 PM
I think a player has a better chance to stand out in the NCAA tourney vs college players than they do against other older fringe NBA guys in the G League. Balling out and taking us to the final four gets noticed. Bell for Oregon took them deep in the tourney and got himself drafted when he wasn't rated nearly as high the month before the tourney started. Peters best chance at the NBA is coming back. It's really not debatable.

It's really no way to say what's best yet until we see how this year plays out.

Dawg61
12-24-2018, 01:45 PM
It's really no way to say what's best yet until we see how this year plays out.

True but I like getting this conversation started earlier better than late. Late is too late.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2018, 02:22 PM
True but I like getting this conversation started earlier better than late. Late is too late.

Well I'll say it like this. Prepare for him to be gone & be pleasantly surprised if he comes back.

Dawg2003
12-24-2018, 04:25 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of playing four years in college and accepting that you aren't what the NBA wants. That seems like a better experience to me. It seems like it would be better to at least be able to play basketball in college than not at all.

Dawg2003
12-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Not saying this is true about Lamar, but some kids are just ready to get out of college and move on...

True. Let's not kid ourselves and think that many of these players actually came to school to get an education. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that either. College isn't for everyone, but it's a path to keep playing sports longer for those that love it.

Madisonmd
12-24-2018, 05:20 PM
True. Let's not kid ourselves and think that many of these players actually came to school to get an education. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that either. College isn't for everyone, but it's a path to keep playing sports longer for those that love it.

Staff expecting Lamar to declare

Dawg61
12-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Well I'll say it like this. Prepare for him to be gone & be pleasantly surprised if he comes back.

I don't expect him back. I expect he'll have a great year, declare, go undrafted and still not come back. I'm gonna start expecting Howland to put an end to this bullshit though. These players are destroying their slim NBA chances by continuing to chase the money too early. Unless Peters backpacks us to a FF this year it'll be too early. 2c

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2018, 06:01 PM

Yes but it's not like they're working at Sam's Club. They're playing basketball for a living & in a lot of cases making 6 figures. They have good jobs & it's not like they can't come back & finish their degree.

maroonmania
12-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Yes but it's not like they're working at Sam's Club. They're playing basketball for a living & in a lot of cases making 6 figures. They have good jobs & it's not like they can't come back & finish their degree.

Well if they don't get drafted they can go D league for as long as that lasts or move a half a world away to play in Europe. The whole point of getting a degree is to not end up working at Sam's Club. D league isn't going to last long if they don't show they can make it to the NBA, and if they don't do that they won't be playing basketball for a living in this country. And they can come back and finish a degree but most don't.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-25-2018, 12:08 PM
Well if they don't get drafted they can go D league for as long as that lasts or move a half a world away to play in Europe. The whole point of getting a degree is to not end up working at Sam's Club. D league isn't going to last long if they don't show they can make it to the NBA, and if they don't do that they won't be playing basketball for a living in this country. And they can come back and finish a degree but most don't.

I get your point but most of these guys want a pro career playing basketball even if that means playing in Europe. You can make a lot of money playing overseas. Ask Charles Rhodes, Jamont Gordon, Timmy Bowers, etc. Living in Europe making 6 figures isn't a bad lifestyle.

Ari Gold
12-25-2018, 06:26 PM

This basically sums it up ..

Dawg61
12-25-2018, 07:51 PM
I get your point but most of these guys want a pro career playing basketball even if that means playing in Europe. You can make a lot of money playing overseas. Ask Charles Rhodes, Jamont Gordon, Timmy Bowers, etc. Living in Europe making 6 figures isn't a bad lifestyle.

Sure it ain't terrible making 200k living in Italy but most aren't in Italy they are in Russia or Turkey or China or Iraq like Marshall Henderson. Most fans tend to over glamorize non-NBA pro leagues. It's a tougher life than it gets painted as for 90% of the players.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-25-2018, 08:42 PM
Sure it ain't terrible making 200k living in Italy but most aren't in Italy they are in Russia or Turkey or China or Iraq like Marshall Henderson. Most fans tend to over glamorize non-NBA pro leagues. It's a tougher life than it gets painted as for 90% of the players.

Again don't disagree but they're still making good livings in those places as well. For guys who've grown up playing b-ball all of their lives they'd rather be in those countries doing what they love instead of the USA working a regular 9-5.

Homedawg
12-25-2018, 08:46 PM

But it's playing pro sports as a job. While it's not the nba, it's better than the average American. In some cases way better.

West Tn Dawg
12-25-2018, 09:35 PM
I have a good friend that has been playing in Sweden, I believe for about 7 years. He absolutely loves it. He has played on a couple of teams and won a couple of championships. No idea what he makes, but seems to be doing pretty well.

Randolph Dupree
12-25-2018, 09:49 PM
But it's playing pro sports as a job. While it's not the nba, it's better than the average American. In some cases way better.

Not disagreeing with anything anyone is saying here but I'll offer a, somewhat of, an insiders perspective. Playing Power 5 sports in college is a full time job. I get the argument that they get the free education and there are some other perks that come with the territory but it's an absolute grind. Sure their scholarship compensates then for the practice time and some of the other sacrifices, but make no doubt about it many of them come in majoring in one thing and then realize that they can't manage it and their sport also, so they choose a different major that is less demanding. So what if the kid doesn't get drafted? Maybe he wants to take his shot for better or worse. He can finish his degree later, but basketball (or any other sport) will only be available for so long.

My son is way too young for us to be thinking about college level sports, but he playes travel baseball at a fairly high level and I catch myself wondering if I really would want him to play in college? If he has the opportunity to chase his dream, then you've got to let him but having family members that have done it, one that is currently doing it and seeing what some of our players do just to stay on the game is mind boggling.

As far as Peters is concerned, if he doesn't make it to the highest level he can make a good living playing overseas and if he manages his money well will never have to have a regular job.

Dawg61
12-25-2018, 09:49 PM

I have a good friend that has been playing in Sweden, I believe for about 7 years. He absolutely loves it. He has played on a couple of teams and won a couple of championships. No idea what he makes, but seems to be doing pretty well.

Really just depends where you are and for how long. Living in Sweden for 7 straight years making 6 figures with per diem would be pretty cool. Living in Ukraine or Saudi Arabi getting paid shady cash in hand in sporadic amounts on sporadic pay days while living outta a suitcase in shitty hotel rooms and being on a bus every other day for ten hours in a country you don't speak the language and know nobody would be terrible. I'd rather make minimum wage fixing burritos at Chipotle in anywhere USA than do the shit Marshall Henderson was doing. Y'all should watch that documentary following him around in Iraq. It'll totally change your mind on it.