PDA

View Full Version : When No. 17 Bulldogs play Wright State Saturday, they'll face an old nemesis...

Rick Cleveland
12-21-2018, 07:07 PM
https://mississippitoday.org/2018/12/21/nagy-has-faced-mississippi-state-before/

Cowbell
12-21-2018, 07:33 PM
https://mississippitoday.org/2018/12/21/nagy-has-faced-mississippi-state-before/

Great article sir!

Pit Bull
12-22-2018, 04:59 AM
Funny about his trouble with Southern accents......I am a true deep southerner born in Tuscaloosa, raised in Middle Tenn., and educated at Miss. State. I have heard about every southern accent there is. Only on two occasions, have I ever had trouble understanding another thick southern accent. Once down in the boonies of Louisiana near Houma...ran into an old fellow attending a gas station. This man was Cajun and pretty much spoke pure French and mixed in some other southern English which was not recognizable to me. The other time was way out in the middle of nowhere between New Albany, MS and Oxford. I ran up on these two good ole boys who stopped and asked what I was doing. As soon as I heard them conversing between themselves, I said to myself...…"damn"....what foreign language is this!! They were farmer wannabes, but my guess is more into the making of some good N. Miss. moonshine! I was a bit nervous, but felt I could take care of both of them if need be since I was about twice as big as they were. Still, though had to strain my ears to understand what they were saying. I just nodded my head in agreement mostly and started looking for a way to git out of there. Was worried they might have more friends on the way. Their southern accent was so dang thick, I could not even pick out a word or two. I was in shock anybody talked that ragged a version of the southern language. Never, ever have heard anything like it since, but it must have been some local dialogue that folk in that community used. Believe it was out near the community of Etta, MS. Definitely off the beaten path.

raymond21
12-22-2018, 05:52 AM

Thanks for sharing

jdwhite
12-22-2018, 10:22 AM
I have lived in MS (delta), AL, GA, and TX and the only place so I've been exposed to most deep south accents. Sometimes its taken me a few minutes to tune in the local accent but the only time I couldn't get it down was in Dothan AL.

We were upgrading the logistics supply system at the hospital at Ft Rucker and had sent in a tech, who was from East Texas where they tend to drawl with a twang, to set up the hardware and prepare for the upgrade. She knew I had lived in Alabama so about 30 minutes after she picked me up at the airport in Montgomery she turned and looked at me with a very concerned look on her face and asked me "you're not going to start talking like them are you"? I didn't quit know how to answer her question. Well I found out why she asked the next morning. There were a couple of good ole boys working in the warehouse who spoke with such a drawl after spending my two weeks there I was never was able to fully tune into it.