PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Shrader

Todd4State
12-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Lost in all of the recruiting entertainment is the fact that Shrader will be able to practice with MSU during the bowl practices in Starkville. I don't believe that he can travel to Tampa with the team, but I might be mistaken on that. But that is big as far as getting a head start on next year and his MSU career for him and also for us as well.

Nick Fitzgerald did the same thing when he signed with us out of high school too.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Huge get today. Moorhead has his qb.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Agree, getting in early allows him to hopefully learn somethings to work on and hit the ground running in Spring Practice. May put him into position compete for job in Spring 2020.

Depends on if we bring someone in

Leroy Jenkins
12-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Lost in all of the recruiting entertainment is the fact that Shrader will be able to practice with MSU during the bowl practices in Starkville. I don't believe that he can travel to Tampa with the team, but I might be mistaken on that. But that is big as far as getting a head start on next year and his MSU career for him and also for us as well.

Nick Fitzgerald did the same thing when he signed with us out of high school too.

Correct. Can practice, travel is a no-go.

Todd4State
12-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Agree, getting in early allows him to hopefully learn somethings to work on and hit the ground running in Spring Practice. May put him into position compete for job in Spring 2020.

Depends on if we bring someone in

If we don't bring in someone else I think he has a better than outside chance of claiming the QB job at some point next year. Key will be the favorite going into next year though unless we land a transfer.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2018, 06:09 PM
If we don't bring in someone else I think he has a better than outside chance of claiming the QB job at some point next year. Key will be the favorite going into next year though unless we land a transfer.

I just don't see him beating out KT in 2019. KT is pretty damn good.

I'm all for chasing Bryant and Fields, but KT is good.

BiscuitEater
12-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Huge get today. Moorhead has his qb.

For the FIRST time in my 66 years .. MSU has FOUR .. 4* QBs on a roster!

ATTILLA THE DOG
12-19-2018, 06:59 PM

If he plays qb for us next year,we might win 5 games. He ain't ready,academy ball vs sec big jump.

Dawgfan77
12-19-2018, 07:08 PM
It took Mullen three classes to get his QB... took Moorehead one

DanDority
12-19-2018, 07:16 PM
If he plays qb for us next year,we might win 5 games. He ain't ready,academy ball vs sec big jump.

Academy ball is different in other states, just ask someone from TN. Now, I'm not saying he's ready, just that this ain't MS private school.

Matt3467
12-19-2018, 07:33 PM
For the FIRST time in my 66 years .. MSU has FOUR .. 4* QBs on a roster!

I believe it's 3 not four. Mayden, Thompson, Schrader.

bulldawg28
12-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Any Qb with a beard I believe in. However, KT is the man.

Liverpooldawg
12-19-2018, 08:06 PM
Academy ball is different in other states, just ask someone from TN. Now, I'm not saying he's ready, just that this ain't MS private school.

Private schools in most states are the best teams they have,

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2018, 08:08 PM

This is my feeling as well. He does have a leg up in already running more of what Moorhead wants than Fitz or KT did but that league he was in is bad.

Im sure he's heard that 10000 times and will be hungry to shut us all up, and I'm hoping for that. He is clearly a talented kid though

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2018, 08:09 PM

If what I saw him playing against was the best teams in the state of NC then they are in bad shape over there

Leroy Jenkins
12-19-2018, 10:08 PM

Eggzachary. How far down this list do you have to go to find a public school?

www.maxpreps.com/m/rankings/list.aspx?page=1&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797

Liverpooldawg
12-19-2018, 10:17 PM
Eggzachary. How far down this list do you have to go to find a public school?

www.maxpreps.com/m/rankings/list.aspx?page=1&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797

Without even looking I bet no farther than #2, if that far.

Madisonmd
12-19-2018, 10:21 PM
A former roommate went and saw Garrett play this year as a guest of the family. THE KID CAN PLAY! great size, super fast, can do it all. Also, spent some time with him and said he will fit in perfectly in our atmosphere, loves the outdoors, drives a pickup.

Leroy Jenkins
12-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Without even looking I bet no farther than #2, if that far.

Bet.

Liverpooldawg
12-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Bet.

You lost, the top five were all private. I think all but two in the top 10.

NWADAWG
12-21-2018, 12:13 AM

If he plays QB for us next year it will be because he beat out KT and Mayden. KT would win more than 5 games. A better QB regardless of age is still better and would win more than 5.

smootness
12-21-2018, 07:56 AM

Wut

You lost because of the reason stated. The top public school is #7, Folsom. You claimed you wouldn't have to go farther than #2 to find a public school.

Mobile Bay
12-21-2018, 08:15 AM

Not in any part of the south that I am aware of unless you count IMG.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2018, 08:43 AM

If varies wildly from state to state.

No Private school in GA plays above the 4A classification. Most play in 1A. There may be 2-3 in GA that could hang in their best seasons for a bit against some of the 5A, 6A or 7A Public School powerhouses, but I don't think any of them could win. Benedictine in Savannah, Marist in Atlanta, Blessed Trinity in Roswell are the best programs. Blessed Trinity won the 4A State Title - and no way they survive playing 7A week in and out.

However, Shrader's team is ranked#2 in NC by MaxPreps - http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/football/1/state/north-carolina.htm
so odds are he is playing at a pretty high level in that state (unless NC HS football just sucks).

Cooterpoot
12-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Maxpreps is a ridiculous ranking to consider. The league he played in wasn't incredible. He'll redshirt this year barring something crazy.

MrKotter
12-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Take a peek outside of Mississippi then

NWADAWG
12-21-2018, 09:47 AM
They are in AR. Some of the private schools recruit like dirty SEC schools. They get parents jobs, etc. It is crazy. One in Northwest AR, when my son was playing for a school in the same conference, had numerous kids from OK and MO on the team. The school helped with transportation as well.

dawgday166
12-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Maxpreps is a ridiculous ranking to consider. The league he played in wasn't incredible. He'll redshirt this year barring something crazy.

Everyone is always looking for the backup or new guy to be the man. Watching his film the size and speed of the competition he was facing is probably 2/3 of the top Mississippi schools. Not saying he won't be good but it will be his RS Soph year at the earliest before he's ready to face the size and speed of SEC Ds IMO. There will be a pretty big adjustment period he'll have to go through.

He's not next year's savior. The only way he plays before that is if Key and Mayden are really not that good or aren't fitting what Joe wants to do. And if he does get thrown into the fire early because of that, look for some growing pains and some bad games where everyone is calling him a bust.

redstickdawg
12-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Louisiana separated private from the publics because the publics didn't want to have to play the private schools in the playoffs. That way the public schools can get a trophy. The 3 best teams in La are all privates and that is the history for a while.

DownwardDawg
12-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Louisiana separated private from the publics because the publics didn't want to have to play the private schools in the playoffs. That way the public schools can get a trophy. The 3 best teams in La are all privates and that is the history for a while.

Yep. Been that way a long time. They recruit as dirty as the SEC.

DownwardDawg
12-21-2018, 12:07 PM

All over the south.

HoopsDawg
12-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Hurts for 1 year. Then Schrader takes over.

msstate7
12-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Dream bigger... fields over hurts

BuckyIsAB****
12-21-2018, 03:22 PM

Good one.

Leroy Jenkins
12-21-2018, 09:33 PM

Go back and read my post veeery slowly.

RocketDawg
12-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Take a peek outside of Mississippi then

I may be off base and misunderstanding the discussion, but I can't think of any private school in Alabama that is better in athletics than the larger public high schools.

cheewgumm
12-21-2018, 11:48 PM
He better be great. Our fans seem to
Think since Moorhead recruited him he?s the perfect fit, etc.

Nobody knows anything yet.

No pressure Garrett.

Todd4State
12-22-2018, 12:34 AM
He better be great. Our fans seem to
Think since Moorhead recruited him he?s the perfect fit, etc.

Nobody knows anything yet.

No pressure Garrett.

I don't think there is any question that he fits what Moorhead wants to do from a raw skillset point of view.

The real question right now is can Key perform at a high level in this offense and if not- is Garrett ready enough to play?

KOdawg1
12-22-2018, 12:47 AM
From his film, it looks like he already throws a more catchable ball than Fitz. Mechanically, there are probably some things he needs to work on. He looks like an athletic runner, but it'll be different when those 170 lbs white boys are grown SEC football players. I think a year off to learn the offense and develop is the best bet, but if the coaches don't think Keytaon can execute the offense, then who knows? Maybe Mayden gets a shot.

All this assuming we don't go the grad transfer route.

Todd4State
12-22-2018, 01:54 AM
From his film, it looks like he already throws a more catchable ball than Fitz. Mechanically, there are probably some things he needs to work on. He looks like an athletic runner, but it'll be different when those 170 lbs white boys are grown SEC football players. I think a year off to learn the offense and develop is the best bet, but if the coaches don't think Keytaon can execute the offense, then who knows? Maybe Mayden gets a shot.

All this assuming we don't go the grad transfer route.

Not saying that Shrader will definitely start or anything like that. But I think the "weak high school competition" argument is overrated. If you have the skill set it doesn't matter if you are a five star player at IMG, Madison Central, Jackson Prep or D'Lo High School. If you can play you can play. I think once these players get to the SEC is all kind of relative to a degree. Like in Shrader's case I imagine he is throwing to less than SEC talent and has five guys that are less than SEC talent blocking for him. Nonetheless he is making plays. Now that he is at MSU he will be throwing the ball to SEC players and has SEC players blocking for him. That's not to say that there won't be an adjustment. I think what actually happens a lot of times is you have a lot of big fish in a smaller pond across the league and most need time to adjust to that. But I don't think that has all that much to do with whatever high school league they played in. Jonthan Banks played 1A ball in Mississippi and was a starter or at least a major contributor as a freshman. I can't remember anyone from Madison Central having that kind of an impact as a freshman even though it's a bigger school in a better league. Chris Jones would be another example. High school players in general aren't very good football players at most levels except for the few that can play at a high level in college. That probably averages out to like one player or less per team.

DancingRabbit
12-22-2018, 02:00 AM
I don't think there is any question that he fits what Moorhead wants to do from a raw skillset point of view.

The real question right now is can Key perform at a high level in this offense and if not- is Garrett ready enough to play?

Few freshmen are ready for the SEC. He should get time in 3 reg season games and the bowl game. KT and Mayden have skills. Unless we get a grad transfer, Joe's got to tailor the offense to those two. Just my humble opinion.

Ari Gold
12-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Everyone chill on the Kid.
Let him at least go thru spring and summer workouts first
It’s KT’s team going into next year ( barring an impact transfer)
If GS pushes for Playing Time then good for us.

MedDawg
12-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Everyone chill on the Kid.
Let him at least go thru spring and summer workouts first
It?s KT?s team going into next year ( barring an impact transfer)
If GS pushes for Playing Time then good for us.

Forget that, I want to know how he performed in his two bowl practices this week.

was21
12-22-2018, 05:08 PM
parochial view