PDA

View Full Version : I want to compete for SEC West titles as much as anyone but

calidawg
12-19-2018, 04:29 PM
the depressing image below captures why we won't anytime soon.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0RjWZ9y/Recruit-Rankings.png

Todd4State
12-19-2018, 04:35 PM
There is a good chance we will have around 10 four star recruits like LSU has right now by February. The real reason why we won't win the SEC West for the foreseeable future is because of Saban and the SEC protecting Alabama over all others. Once he leaves we will have a chance again. Same could be said for everyone else too.

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2018, 04:38 PM
The exposure from tv has allowed State and similar situated P5 schools to distance itself it terms of talent from the G5 conference teams. However the Exposure of TV has created an even larger gap in terms of talent between the haves and have nots within the P5 conferences.

bobcat91
12-19-2018, 04:42 PM
LSU and TAMU have the same issues. Excellent recruiting and mediocre coaching. They dont scare me.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 04:45 PM
The only way is...
1. Catch Bama on a down year
2. Mississippi produce a ton of talent over a 2-3 year span, and we keep it home.
3. Have a special qb

msstate7
12-19-2018, 04:46 PM
LSU and TAMU have the same issues. Excellent recruiting and mediocre coaching. They dont scare me.

Jimbo has a natty. Ed O took a worse team than Moorhead and got a NY6 bowl with a tougher schedule. Why do you think we have better coaching?

confucius say
12-19-2018, 04:50 PM
You need an elite dual threat qb (think at least dak) and at least a 2010 caliber defense. And get Bama at home.

I would argue we have closed the Bama gap a good bit over the last two years.

TUSK
12-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Jimbo has a natty. Ed O took a worse team than Moorhead and got a NY6 bowl with a tougher schedule. Why do you think we have better coaching?

I'm not quite as bullish on A&M as you, but I'm not far behind... Jimbo is fixin' to give AU & LSU problems, IMO....

msstate7
12-19-2018, 04:56 PM
I'm not quite as bullish on A&M as you, but I'm not far behind... Jimbo is fixin' to give AU & LSU problems, IMO....

That's really what I see jimbo being at aTm... an annual #2 in west contender with NY6 bowls year-in, year-out. If he hits on another Winston, maybe he beats saban one year

Jack Lambert
12-19-2018, 04:57 PM
I really only fear one on that list.

confucius say
12-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Jimbo ran FSU in the ground. He is up and down.

I'll take Joe over O every day. O has proven to be an 8-4, 9-3 coach at LSU, and he is completely dependent on Aranda

Jack Lambert
12-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Wasn't this Coach O third season or 2.5 seasons? Also I would say he inherited more talent then Moorhead based on recruiting rankings.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2018, 04:59 PM
A&M is top 10 every year. Yet we own them. We've been pretty even with LSU the last few years too. AL and UGA run the league though. Everybody else is going to stay behind them.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:02 PM

I'll take Joe over O every day. O has proven to be an 8-4, 9-3 coach at LSU, and he is completely dependent on Aranda

Urban meyer's last year at Florida was 7-5 with a loss at home to Mullen. He went to Ohio st and 82-9. I think you guys putting way too much stock in a down year last season for jimbo. Anyone that would take Moorhead over jimbo is a homer

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:03 PM

Yeah jimbo is more like Malzahn than Saban/Meyer.

TrapGame
12-19-2018, 05:04 PM

This.

If O had a defense as mediocre as his offense he would have finished 6-6. O is a defensive guy first and will never have a high octane offense at LSU.

Jimbo is a 9-3 coach in the SEC with a 10-2 every third year. If we walk into Aggie Land and beat them next year I can guarantee y'all Jimbo will never win the West.

When Moorhead gets his style of offense going with his players, look out. As long as Saban is king it will be Joe, O and Jimbo fighting for 2 and 3. (Auburn is just lost in the wilderness right now.)

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Urban meyer's last year at Florida was 7-5 with a loss at home to Mullen. He went to Ohio st and 82-9. I think you guys putting way too much stock in a down year last season for jimbo. Anyone that would take Moorhead over jimbo is a homer

Joe outcoached him this year lol. See how the future plays out for both.

duncflydawg
12-19-2018, 05:08 PM

Jimbo is not a good guy. I wouldn?t not want him at State. Jimbo is a known cheater as well and if he starts beating Bama on the regular, the SEC will bury that program. Texas talent is so well developed that kids get to college with not a whole lot of room to grow. Southern kids a lot of times are raw and have a much higher ceiling. aTm will be better but I don?t see them becoming Alabama.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Jimbo is a snake oil salesman. He's sleazy as hell. He'll be better than what A&M had, but he's not some savior.

confucius say
12-19-2018, 05:10 PM

He's a good coach for sure. Elite wjen he has the best talent. Look at 2010, 2011, and 2018. The only 3 years he didn't have better talent in every game he coached. He was an 8-4 coach those years.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:12 PM
He's a good coach for sure. Elite wjen he has the best talent. Look at 2010, 2011, and 2018. The only 3 years he didn't have better talent in every game he coached. He was an 8-4 coach those years.

He took a step in the direction he needs to go today then. This was most likely the only year Moorhead will have more talent than jimbo

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:14 PM
He took a step in the direction he needs to go today then. This was most likely the only year Moorhead will have more talent than jimbo

According to recruiting rankings he had more talent this year.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:16 PM

I'll trust NFL GMs more

ETA... they've lost some guys to transfer that helped bolster their recruiting rankings too. They lost a decent QB to Oklahoma

Gutter Cobreh
12-19-2018, 05:19 PM
I'll trust NFL GMs more

Don't move the goalposts. You started a thread using recruiting rankings and equating it to talent. When Commerce provides information that A&M had more talent this year, and you then want to trust NFL GMs?

Jimbo is trash and we've owned them. They'll be more consistent under him then they were under Sumlin, but they aren't about to become some superpower.

confucius say
12-19-2018, 05:20 PM

So you don't believe in accuracy of recruiting rankings either?

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:20 PM
I'll trust NFL GMs more

ETA... they've lost some guys to transfer that helped bolster their recruiting rankings too. They lost a decent QB to Oklahoma

Jimbo a good coach, sleazy as heck but good, but he's not the next Saban/Meyer

TUSK
12-19-2018, 05:21 PM

this was as of October: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=SEC

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:21 PM
So you don't believe in accuracy of recruiting rankings either?

People only believe in rankings when it fits their agendas lol

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:24 PM
this was as of October: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=SEC

1 5 star each but am with 40% more 4 stars, 34-21.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:25 PM
About the aTm always recruits this level... here's the number of players they've signed at 96 rating or higher since 2015...

'19 = 6
'18 = 1
'17 = 2
'16 = 1
'15 = 3 (kyler Murray transferred)

Taking into account Murray left, jimbo signed as many 96 rated players this season as the previous 4 years combined. This is not their normal level, but whatever you guys wanna believe

Gutter Cobreh
12-19-2018, 05:26 PM

Please stop bringing valid,sourced information! It does no good to provide facts when feelings and opinions are the only requirements...

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:27 PM
About the aTm always recruits this level... here's the number of players they've signed at 96 rating or higher since 2015...

'19 = 6
'18 = 1
'17 = 2
'16 = 1

Taking into account Murray left, jimbo signed as many 96 rated players this season as the previous 4 years combined. This is not their normal level, but whatever you guys wanna believe

But we really won't know until the draft 4 or 5 years from now right? When nfl decides lol

confucius say
12-19-2018, 05:31 PM

'19 = 6
'18 = 1
'17 = 2
'16 = 1

It is better for sure. He has Aggie top 5 whereas they were a 4 year composite of 15 this season.

But the point is they were a composite of 15 and we were at 25, yet you stated we had more talent this season. Thus, you don't believe in the accuracy of those recruiting rankings.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2018, 05:31 PM
7 is on Jimbo's jock. Ya'll let me know when A&M handles Bama. Then I'll listen.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:32 PM
The only reason jimbo isn't in a NY6 bowl this season is bc he played Clemson. Trade Clemson for Kansas st, and aTm finishes 9-3 (5-3). They already finished higher in the standings with what will be jimbo's least talented team for the foreseeable future

Cooterpoot
12-19-2018, 05:32 PM
And they lost to us.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:33 PM
7 is on Jimbo's jock. Ya'll let me know when A&M handles Bama. Then I'll listen.

I've said consistently they won't. What they'll do is push us to 7-5/8-4 instead of 8-4/9-3

msstate7
And they lost to us.

You think we win there next season?

Commercecomet24
And they lost to us.

Touche!

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:35 PM
And they lost to us.

We lost to Florida. Mullen is better than Moorhead, right? We lost to Kentucky. Stoops > Moorhead. Ed O > Moorhead.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2018, 05:35 PM
You think we win there next season?

No, because we lose too much talent this year. But we'll see in a couple years. Jimbo isn't worth what they're paying him. He can win 8-9 games a year, hell, we've been doing that.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2018, 05:36 PM
We lost to Florida. Mullen is better than Moorhead, right?

We shall see. But FL had better talent that us according to the rankings too. They'll put a lot in the league as well.

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:37 PM
We shall see. But FL had better talent that us according to the rankings too. They'll put a lot in the league as well.

Kentucky? Stoops better?

FriarsPoint
12-19-2018, 05:40 PM
The only true statement I ever heard about recruiting rankings is this; The only thing you can put any stock in is the top 5. Outside of that, put em all in a bag. It’s a crapshoot.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Kentucky? Stoops better?

Not sure what that's got to do with anything really. The fact is, we've owned KY minus this year, just like we've owned A&M. A&M has to prove they can beat us consistently. You're the one slobbing Jimbo, who has to prove he can beat us on a regular basis. I don't believe A&M is capable of being great. Their history backs me up.

confucius say
12-19-2018, 05:43 PM
We lost to Florida. Mullen is better than Moorhead, right? We lost to Kentucky. Stoops > Moorhead. Ed O > Moorhead.

Mullen and O had more talent according to those who believe in the accuracy of recruiting rankings.

Stoops was a better coach than Joe this year, yes.

gravedigger
12-19-2018, 05:48 PM

If we don?t, it will have less to do with that list than you think. I think we are trending up. While fans have consistently over the years thought we were inhibited by our past, we?ve grown out of it. We are about to be on our 9th straight bowl. Think about that. It took Sherrill 13 years to get us to 6. And sure, bama is great, but gone are the days of regional media eliminating all but two teams to play for it all. Now there are 4. That is significant.

Hell yea the road is hard, but we have seen the mountain top for a few weeks in 2014. We could have beaten bama that year. There is no good reason to believe that the players we have won?t play above their mythical rankings. Luck may have to play a part. But this po, po pitiful me routine by our fanbase is outdated.

We don?t bend over for Auburn or LSU anymore. Big money A&M has left town with 3 straight losses vs us and 4 of the last 5.

Let it die.

Enjoy the ride.

RougeDawg
12-19-2018, 05:48 PM

Everyone said the same thing when Sumlin was hired. Yada yada. A&M is a Big 12 team in the SEC.

RougeDawg
12-19-2018, 05:53 PM
If we don?t, it will have less to do with that list than you think. I think we are trending up. While fans have consistently over the years thought we were inhibited by our past, we?ve grown out of it. We are about to be on our 9th straight bowl. Think about that. It took Sherrill 13 years to get us to 6. And sure, bama is great, but gone are the days of regional media eliminating all but two teams to play for it all. Now there are 4. That is significant.

Hell yea the road is hard, but we have seen the mountain top for a few weeks in 2014. We could have beaten bama that year. There is no good reason to believe that the players we have won?t play above their mythical rankings. Luck may have to play a part. But this po, po pitiful me routine by our fanbase is outdated.

We don?t bend over for Auburn or LSU anymore. Big money A&M has left town with 3 straight losses vs us and 4 of the last 5.

Let it die.

Enjoy the ride.

What he said.

Commercecomet24
12-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Let it die.

Enjoy the ride.

Dang dude! That was awesome! Bravo!

msstate7
12-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Mullen and O had more talent according to those who believe in the accuracy of recruiting rankings.

Stoops was a better coach than Joe this year, yes.

I believe in recruiting rankings, but there's more to consider... Vegas lines, Vegas o/u totals preseason, NFL mocks, and polls. We were supposed to be better than 2 of the teams we lost to. Considering that, I just think it's rich that Moorhead is anointed the next big thing while jimbo sucks. I actually feel much better about Moorhead lately, but no way, no how should he be considered better than jimbo. Moorhead beat jimbo, huh? Croom beat saban his first year at Bama

TUSK
12-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Everyone said the same thing when Sumlin was hired. Yada yada. A&M is a Big 12 team in the SEC.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to say they are gonna supplant Bammer or UGA, or even be a regular Top 10 type program... I just don't think it's a stretch to say they give AU/LSU a run for SECW runnerup.

I just think they'll improve considerably over what Sumlin had them doing...

msstate7
12-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to say they are gonna supplant Bammer or UGA, or even be a regular Top 10 type program... I just don't think it's a stretch to say they give AU/LSU a run for SECW runnerup.

I just think they'll improve considerably over what Sumlin had them doing...

Exactly, and that is awful for state

BuckyIsAB****
12-19-2018, 08:19 PM

We will be as good or better than A&M and LSU next year.

Quit throwing your pity party. Recruiting rankings have never won a game.

Mjoelner34
12-19-2018, 08:30 PM

Let it die.

Enjoy the ride.

https://media.giphy.com/media/UTT6QbG4EPOIE/giphy.gif

dawgday166
12-19-2018, 08:50 PM
We, or anyone else, ain't "competing" for the West until refs call games evenly in games where a team shows up and slaps Bama upside the head.

Saban has CFB setup like his lunch time basketball games with his assistants. He makes the rules, the rules favor him, and his teams don't have to abide by those rules.

TUSK
12-19-2018, 09:13 PM
We, or anyone else, ain't "competing" for the West until refs call games evenly in games where a team shows up and slaps Bama upside the head.

Saban has CFB setup like his lunch time basketball games with his assistants. He makes the rules, the rules favor him, and his teams don't have to abide by those rules.

https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/1280x868/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fstevefaktor%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F0 2%2FThe-McFuture-illuminati-forbes-jim-jefferies-Square-web-1200x1200.jpg

Apoplectic
12-19-2018, 09:21 PM
That's really what I see jimbo being at aTm... an annual #2 in west contender with NY6 bowls year-in, year-out. If he hits on another Winston, maybe he beats saban one year

i would take that yesterday