PDA

View Full Version : Abram = WOW

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Had an opportunity to watch a few hit films as well as game replays for MSU this weekend.

Holy 17 re: Jon Abram.

He's a big time dude - a really good player. No doubt about it.

Abram clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DrUrg9Ycw

The things that stick out to me in the above clips, other than the fantastic plays he makes, is in the very beginning of the vid - his face, his swagger & intensity, his stride and confidence between plays. Really tells you a lot about the player and what you're up against.

Reminds me a lot of Bob Sanders from Iowa, but bigger (Sanders was 5'8 205 and I see that Abram is 6'0 and 215).

Sanders clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2hvkx7dHQQ

Abram is better in pass coverage. Sanders (2007 NFL Defensive POY) was more of a reckless abandoned hitter (and had a shortened career because of that mentality/approach) - but Abram can still really bring the wood.

Dudes like that are tough to game plan around.

The more I watch the MSU defense the more I am impressed with them. Wow.

Iowa is going to have it's hands full with him, to say the least...as well as with the rest of that defense.

Very impressed.

dawgday166
12-18-2018, 11:44 AM
He's the best safety in the country.

ETA: And we have the best DT in the country too. And a top 5 DE edge rusher.

ETA again: We don't really have a weakness on D that I can tell right now. Extremely solid at all positions. And a helluva D coordinator and D staff.

BuckyIsAB****
12-18-2018, 11:44 AM
I'd say yall dont score more than 10 at the most. Good chance of not scoring at all unless we help yall

WSOPdawg
12-18-2018, 11:58 AM

I'd say yall dont score more than 10 at the most. Good chance of not scoring at all unless we help yall

C'mon guys.

First, I wouldn't trade Jonathon Abram for anybody, but let's say he's among the best safeties in the country... not the best.

Second, you've gotta give EVERY opponent respect (well, except for the Bearsharts) instead of saying "good chance of not scoring at all unless we help yall." Everybody thought it would be difficult for Kentucky to score more than 10 and they hung 28 on the scoreboard.

It's okay to have a little swagger, but be humble and respectful (as opposed to cocky and pretentious like our nonstop cheating sisters in Oxford).

ZedFedder
12-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Is Hawkeyegoofball actually a State fan boosting his own team up? lol

dawgday166
12-18-2018, 12:04 PM
C'mon guys.

First, I wouldn't trade Jonathon Abram for anybody, but let's say he's among the best safeties in the country... not the best.

Second, you've gotta give EVERY opponent respect (well, except for the Bearsharts) instead of saying "good chance of not scoring at all unless we help yall." Everybody thought it would be difficult for Kentucky to score more than 10 and they hung 28 on the scoreboard.

It's okay to have a little swagger, but be humble and respectful (as opposed to cocky and pretentious like our nonstop cheating sisters in Oxford).

His QBing the backend, his speed and coverage skills, his hitting ability ... there is no one better IMO.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 12:06 PM

ETA: And we have the best DT in the country too. And a top 5 DE edge rusher.

ETA again: We don't really have a weakness on D that I can tell right now. Extremely solid at all positions. And a helluva D coordinator and D staff.

He's the best safety CFB I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years - admittedly, I can't watch game film on all CFB teams.

I know that Hooker from Iowa nabbed 2nd team and Abram landed on 3rd - but Hooker was really pushed into the OLB role in a 4-2-5 defensive realignment the second half of the season, so wasn't playing a true safety spot.

And yes, Sweat and Simmons are very good as well and will be tough assignments.

But, having a dude like Abram in that safety position is key - guys like that in the back 7 are typically the straw that stirs the drink, so to speak, and keep team intensity up at the highest level throughout the game.

I'm not up to date on the defensive staff at this point (but you can tell overall that the D is really talented, well coached and coordinated). The addition of Tony Hughes to the staff - whatever role is playing now and will play in the future - is big time. Great coach!

Tbonewannabe
12-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Simmons and Sweat combo is probably the best DT-DE combo in college football. Abram is one of the top safeties. He probably wins an award if you put him in a Bama jersey but he might still be the top safety in the NFL draft. Errol Thompson is highly underrated. He is statistically one of the best MLB in the SEC and Gay is becoming one of the top OLB in the SEC.

That doesn't even take into consideration that Jamal Peters might be the 1st big corner chosen in the NFL and Dantzler has been one of the top corners in the SEC.

It will be a great game but this defense might be the best in MSU history.

dawgday166
12-18-2018, 12:09 PM
He's the best safety CFB I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years - admittedly, I can't watch game film on all CFB teams.

I know that Hooker from Iowa nabbed 2nd team and Abram landed on 3rd - but Hooker was really pushed into the OLB role in a 4-2-5 defensive realignment the second half of the season, so wasn't playing a true safety spot.

But, having a dude like Abram in that safety position is key - guys like that in the back 7 are typically the straw that stirs the drink, so to speak, and keep team intensity up at the highest level throughout the game.

I'm not up to date on the defensive staff at this point (but you can tell overall that the D is really talented, well coached and coordinated). The addition of Tony Hughes to the staff - whatever role is playing now and will play in the future - is big time. Great coach!

Absolutely ... and he does that as well or better than anyone else does.

The guy that has surprised me the most on the D staff is Lukabu (our LBs coach). Our LBs (Thompson and Gay) are playing lights out and they bring the lumber too. Leo still ain't playing up to his ability, tho he's getting closer.

dawgday166
12-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Simmons and Sweat combo is probably the best DT-DE combo in college football. Abram is one of the top safeties. He probably wins an award if you put him in a Bama jersey but he might still be the top safety in the NFL draft. Errol Thompson is highly underrated. He is statistically one of the best MLB in the SEC and Gay is becoming one of the top OLB in the SEC.

That doesn't even take into consideration that Jamal Peters might be the 1st big corner chosen in the NFL and Dantzler has been one of the top corners in the SEC.

It will be a great game but this defense might be the best in MSU history.

Put him in Bama jersey and he's probably Defensive POTY.

Tbonewannabe
12-18-2018, 12:12 PM

Abram's first spring in our public scrimmage, he knocked out our own RB and got sent to the locker room early. It wasn't a dirty hit, he just knocked the shit out of him when it is a glorified scrimmage for the fans. Abram only knows one way to practice and play which is 100% full intensity. He would fit in back in the day with guys like Ronnie Lott. He absolutely loves football and loves to hit.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Is Hawkeyegoofball actually a State fan boosting his own team up? lol

Not. Even. Close. :)

I played at Pitt, landed in Iowa for work and life, and know the Iowa HC Kirk Ferentz from days in PA - so that's my connection. Kirk played HS at Upper St. Clair in Pittsburgh (for Joe Moore - one of the finest FB coaches you'd ever want to meet RIP), was a GA at Pitt before I got there, but most everyone in the coaching community raves about him and I connected with him first thing when I relocated to the midwest.

I just really like football, Iowa and your team on defense.

Peace.

dawgday166
12-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Abram's first spring in our public scrimmage, he knocked out our own RB and got sent to the locker room early. It wasn't a dirty hit, he just knocked the shit out of him when it is a glorified scrimmage for the fans. Abram only knows one way to practice and play which is 100% full intensity. He would fit in back in the day with guys like Ronnie Lott. He absolutely loves football and loves to hit.

If he was a tad bigger ... he definitely a Ronnie Lott type. The way he understands every position so well and is always where he needs to be and the hitting too. Be interesting to see how he does in the league. Gotta do it for a looonnng time to be a Ronnie Lott.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Wow again.

Sounds like Sanders. Coaches would pull Bob out of drills because he had only one speed and presented risk to other players. They needed to save the other guys, and Bob, for the games.

You can see the same characteristics in Abram. If you can't see that, then you don't know how to watch and evaluate the game.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 12:26 PM
If he was a tad bigger ... he definitely a Ronnie Lott type. The way he understands every position so well and is always where he needs to be and the hitting too. Be interesting to see how he does in the league. Gotta do it for a looonnng time to be a Ronnie Lott.

Lott was the same height and lighter than Abram. But it's a different game - training, nutrition, rules and coaching.

Abram is not a headhunter like Lott (rules, coaching).

But overall, agree - there have been very few Lott's placed on this earth. A very rare bird.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Lott was the same height and lighter than Abram. But it's a different game - training, nutrition, rules and coaching.

But overall, agree - there have been very few Lott's placed on this earth. A very rare bird.

Agreed with everything you said until this.

Most State fans would agree, the most likely person to get a targeting foul on defense would be Abram. Not saying he hits dirty or anything, but he has an old school streak in him.

starkvegasdawg
12-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Wow again.

Sounds like Sanders. Coaches would pull Bob out of drills because he had only one speed and presented risk to other players. They needed to save the other guys, and Bob, for the games.

You can see the same characteristics in Abram. If you can't see that, then you don't know how to watch and evaluate the game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4P7rzVVOU

For your viewing pleasure.

starkvegasdawg
12-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Ask that KSU player about him not head hunting.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 12:50 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4P7rzVVOU

For your viewing pleasure.

That play, at least from what I could see, was a player lowering his shoulder - having read the play and understanding where he needed to be spatially to make a defensive play. He moves at a different speed (violent, fast and with purpose and understanding), and did so vs. an offensive player who wasn't at his caliber and couldn't complete the play and, at the same time, was falling down and got hit with a shoulder to the noggin.

That's not headhunting, at least in my book. Call it/flag it how you may - but it's not a dirty play...just a rules violation.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Ask that KSU player about him not head hunting.

Link?

dawgday166
12-18-2018, 01:05 PM

I googled Lott and I guess you right according to Wikipedia. I was pretty sure Lott was 6'1" or 6'2" and weighed about 220. I would've sworn on the 220 part.

Abram is a headhunter too.

starkvegasdawg
12-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Link?

Can't find one short of a condensed game. And I may not be completely accurate calling him a head hunter. He just plays without a conscience and hits like the offense owes him money. He doesn't intentionally try to hit the head, but he plays with reckless abandon and sometimes it happens. He got his money's worth with that KSU hit.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 01:45 PM
I googled Lott and I guess you right according to Wikipedia. I was pretty sure Lott was 6'1" or 6'2" and weighed about 220. I would've sworn on the 220 part.

Abram is a headhunter too.

Lott played bigger than he was - many of his greatest hits weren't air based, but ground based with FULL impact.

And players back then also had much larger/longer/bulkier shoulder pads back then, which made players look much bigger than they actually were.

He was prototypical size for a S in his day. Players are still the same relative height today (5'11 - 6'1) on the back end for the most part, but their lean muscle mass pushes them up 10 or so pounds that in bygone eras.

Just what I've gleaned from coaches in the know.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Can't find one short of a condensed game. And I may not be completely accurate calling him a head hunter. He just plays without a conscience and hits like the offense owes him money. He doesn't intentionally try to hit the head, but he plays with reckless abandon and sometimes it happens. He got his money's worth with that KSU hit.

The best players in the game are going to get flagged for targeting.

I haven't seen enough of him to term his effort as 'reckless abandon' - I'll defer to you on that one. But what I have seen out of him as that he plays hard, smart, fast and with bad intention (in the right way) to end the play.

Those are things you can't coach - but you cherish in a player when they bring it to the field (game field more than practice). :)

mcain31
12-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Don't forget that Ronnie Lott converted from CB to Safety.

Dawg61
12-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Our issues aren't on defense.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Our issues aren't on defense.

No. No they're not.

Iowa is going to attack with their own defense and special teams.

It's their two best and only shots against your team.

They'll still try to move the ball, obviously - but it's going to be extremely tough sledding.

And, MSUs offense has quite a few cracks offensively to exploit - particularly given the 30 day prep time for the game. Fitzgerald is the obvious key for Iowa, no doubt.

Same, to a lesser degree, could be said about Iowa's offense and its gaps (losing Fant, lack of consistency running) - but MSUs defense is far stronger than Iowa's offense and will travel very well, so those facts more than balances things out.

It's gonna be a good one.

Maroon Blood
12-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Had an opportunity to watch a few hit films as well as game replays for MSU this weekend.

Holy 17 re: Jon Abram.

He's a big time dude - a really good player. No doubt about it.

Abram clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DrUrg9Ycw

The things that stick out to me in the above clips, other than the fantastic plays he makes, is in the very beginning of the vid - his face, his swagger & intensity, his stride and confidence between plays. Really tells you a lot about the player and what you're up against.

Reminds me a lot of Bob Sanders from Iowa, but bigger (Sanders was 5'8 205 and I see that Abram is 6'0 and 215).

Sanders clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2hvkx7dHQQ

Abram is better in pass coverage. Sanders (2007 NFL Defensive POY) was more of a reckless abandoned hitter (and had a shortened career because of that mentality/approach) - but Abram can still really bring the wood.

Dudes like that are tough to game plan around.

The more I watch the MSU defense the more I am impressed with them. Wow.

Iowa is going to have it's hands full with him, to say the least...as well as with the rest of that defense.

Very impressed.

Love your posts. Keep posting. I dated a girl from Indianola, Iowa back in the 80's. Yes, Indianola, just like here in Mississippi. She took me to the big air balloon festival they have in Indianola (Iowa). Also, I have friends from Davenport. The people of Iowa are fantastic. Our fan bases are going to get along and have fun in Tampa.

DownwardDawg
12-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Agreed with everything you said until this.

Most State fans would agree, the most likely person to get a targeting foul on defense would be Abram. Not saying he hits dirty or anything, but he has an old school streak in him.

I expect Abram to get kicked out every game I watch. I love that dude!!!!

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 04:38 PM
I expect Abram to get kicked out every game I watch. I love that dude!!!!

First, what's not to love about him as a player, overall?

Second, he'll have a DC and secondary coach at the next level draft who not only fall in love with him but are willing to invest and put structure/teaching/coaching in place that keep him out of trouble from a penalty/rules standpoint.

They don't kick you out of NFL games for targeting. They just fine you about $12K to $25K and up. He'll have plenty of incentive and support from a coaching and organizational perspective to adapt and keep his bank account healthy.

I see him as a violent, 100% player - but not an angry one with outside issues carried onto the field (Donte Burfect). Which is perfect for this game and the next step he will be taking.

I haven't seen or read anything character-wise to suggest that he's a risk in that regard.

He has excellent talent and even better motor, drive and instinct. He's a leader on the field (you can see it on the film) and I'm certain in the locker room.

Here's hoping he lands in the right place and has a very long and productive professional career. As well as a robust bank account.

:)

I love watching guys like him play. It's a bit of a lost art in many respects. But its tough, given how the NFL rules slant these days.

He's a dude on the field - and that's what everyone wants in this game.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Love your posts. Keep posting. I dated a girl from Indianola, Iowa back in the 80's. Yes, Indianola, just like here in Mississippi. She took me to the big air balloon festival they have in Indianola (Iowa). Also, I have friends from Davenport. The people of Iowa are fantastic. Our fan bases are going to get along and have fun in Tampa.

Thank you. I will.

As we move closer to the game I'll continue to push thoughts forward for conversation, discussion and debate.

I too think that our fan bases will get along swimmingly on Jan. 1 in Tampa.

I know there has been debate on whether or not Iowa is more like Ole Miss because of it's law school, med school, etc., but I'm telling you - without knowing much about Ole Miss fans and alumni - that as football programs, Iowa and MSU are pretty dang closely connected.

Peace. :)

KnightHawk
12-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Thank you. I will.

As we move closer to the game I'll continue to push thoughts forward for conversation, discussion and debate.

I too think that our fan bases will get along swimmingly on Jan. 1 in Tampa.

I know there has been debate on whether or not Iowa is more like Ole Miss because of it's law school, med school, etc., but I'm telling you - without knowing much about Ole Miss fans and alumni - that as football programs, Iowa and MSU are pretty dang closely connected.

Peace. :)

Yep, just like MSU (and unlike OM), we don't cheat.

Lord McBuckethead
12-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Yeah he is a baller. When he was moved to our Star position towards the end of the year, he pretty much took over every game, shutting down half the field depending on where he was assigned.

Mjoelner34
12-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Link?

About the :40 mark. This video is the 2018 highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h1tmF3lrcY

Lord McBuckethead
12-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Reminded me of Troy Palomalo or the honey badger.

BuckyIsAB****
12-18-2018, 06:22 PM
C'mon guys.

Sowwy

TNDawg35
12-18-2018, 07:09 PM
And he has a mean Pimp Slap. Just ask AJ Brown...

RocketDawg
12-18-2018, 09:14 PM

One of my roommates at MSU was from Humbolt, Iowa. Do you Hawkeyes know where that town is?

Dawgpile
12-18-2018, 11:02 PM
His nickname is M1-A1 (Abrams). Hits like a tank. You've already figured that out.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-19-2018, 10:57 AM
About the :40 mark. This video is the 2018 highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h1tmF3lrcY

Loved his speed and explosiveness vs. KSU @ :40 (and the rest of the vid, too). Everyone else looked to be in slow motion on that play compared to him. The offensive player stumbling and turning was at minimum equally to blame for the high contact. Did he get flagged or ejected for that play?

That dude is a missile.

Bdawg
12-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Lott played bigger than he was - many of his greatest hits weren't air based, but ground based with FULL impact.

And players back then also had much larger/longer/bulkier shoulder pads back then, which made players look much bigger than they actually were.

He was prototypical size for a S in his day. Players are still the same relative height today (5'11 - 6'1) on the back end for the most part, but their lean muscle mass pushes them up 10 or so pounds that in bygone eras.

Just what I've gleaned from coaches in the know.

Lott hit on Christian Akoye always remains engrained in my memory. Changed that man's oil!!!

Hawkeyegoofball
12-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Lott hit on Christian Akoye always remains engrained in my memory. Changed that man's oil!!!

Ha! I remember that one. Okoye was running the ball at over 250lbs those days.

I also remember Steve Atwater stopping Okoye dead in his tracks, knocked Okoye backwards after a full-on collision.

Atwater was quite a bit bigger than Lott and with an equal reputation on the field, i.e., you'd better know where he is or bad things are likely to happen.

dawgday166
12-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Lott ended Ichey Woods' career with that hit in SB. Woods was never the same after that.

TUSK
12-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Jack Tatum.

/thread

mcain31
12-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Jack Tatum.

/thread

I'll raise you Jack Tatum with Night Train Lane
https://youtu.be/9BaPMMYekkA

Hawkeyegoofball
12-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Jack Tatum.

/thread

Jack Tatum. Yowza. 70s.

Now you're traveling in the way back machine!

Viscous, viscous dude. Involved in Pittsburgh's immaculate reception.

TUSK
12-19-2018, 02:29 PM
I'll raise you Jack Tatum with Night Train Lane
https://youtu.be/9BaPMMYekkA

Very well done, Marine.... +1

KnightHawk
12-19-2018, 05:43 PM
My two cents...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqcmuCcwCiU