PDA

View Full Version : Tier 1 Status Back

BrunswickDawg
12-18-2018, 11:06 AM
For those who care about academics.....

https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/article/2018/12/mississippi-state-again-recognized-one-nation-s-top-research-universities/

An interesting note from the article for those of us who aren't engineers:

For the sixth consecutive year, Mississippi State leads the Southeastern Conference in social sciences and is ranked 17th nationally with $34.6 million in expenditures.

Doggie_Style
12-18-2018, 11:08 AM
HailState! Great link...

Lord McBuckethead
12-18-2018, 11:12 AM
This is big time. Just in time for recruiting season. Get the word out.

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Good deal. Glad to have it back, but never should've lost it.

Quaoarsking
12-18-2018, 11:13 AM
That's great and all, but it's a disgrace that we lost it in the first place.

msbulldog
12-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Show that article to Derick Hall and his mom! Hail State!

thf24
12-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Good deal. Glad to have it back, but never should've lost it.

I was told we only lost it because they changed a few insignificant criteria that we just needed a few years to adjust to. Was it more serious than this?

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 11:51 AM
I was told we only lost it because they changed a few insignificant criteria that we just needed a few years to adjust to. Was it more serious than this?

It is a big deal. What you were told is concerning, too....calling them "insignificant criteria" is definitely alarming, because if they're so insignificant, they shouldn't sneak up on you as an institution like that.

Liverpooldawg
12-18-2018, 11:54 AM
I swear, something good happens and there are more posts the bad that happened before that. UNREAL.

Homedawg
12-18-2018, 12:38 PM
We just scored 3 td's in the fourth q to win and some want to complain about the fumble in the first q.

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 01:47 PM
We just scored 3 td's in the fourth q to win and some want to complain about the fumble in the first q.

Lol, pretty good analogy...if we were talking sports. MSU is more than just a school to pull for during football season, and academics matter. Status matters. Trajectory matters.

I'm glad we're back to R1...extremely glad....but as said by others (both in this thread, and previous ones)...MSU, as a major research institution, should've never lost it. And noting that fact isn't being a Debbie Downer; quite the contrary - Its insisting that we don't repeat this **** up in the future.

Bothrops
12-18-2018, 01:59 PM
For those who care about academics.....

https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/article/2018/12/mississippi-state-again-recognized-one-nation-s-top-research-universities/

An interesting note from the article for those of us who aren't engineers:

Should have never been downgraded out of Tier 1

State82
12-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Lol, pretty good analogy...if we were talking sports. MSU is more than just a school to pull for during football season, and academics matter. Status matters. Trajectory matters.

I'm glad we're back to R1...extremely glad....but as said by others (both in this thread, and previous ones)...MSU, as a major research institution, should've never lost it. And noting that fact isn't being a Debbie Downer; quite the contrary - Its insisting that we don't repeat this **** up in the future.

Yeah, it's sort of analogous to someone having a major screwup in their work. They get called on the carpet about and go fix it. Their supervisor isn't then going to run in clapping, patting them on the back and giving them a raise. They are just expected to not allow it to happen again.

DownwardDawg
12-18-2018, 05:11 PM
I swear, something good happens and there are more posts the bad that happened before that. UNREAL.

We just can’t have nice things

bobcat91
12-18-2018, 05:19 PM
We should have never list it to start with. That's not being negative it's being truthful. I'm glad we got it back.

RocketDawg
12-18-2018, 09:25 PM

Disgraceful as well as embarrassing.

DownwardDawg
12-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Snowflakes

WPDawg
12-18-2018, 09:50 PM

From an education viewpoint, is this about providing an effective learning environment to advance students individually ??or teaching to pass the test?

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Snowflakes

Very good, buttercup.

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 09:55 PM
From an education viewpoint, is this about providing an effective learning environment to advance students individually ??or teaching to pass the test?

How are those the only options? And why on Earth would you make that the limit?

We should just aspire to be on Mississippi College's level, academically.....they could compete in the SEC.*

DownwardDawg
12-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Very good, buttercup.

Ok. Pussies. Is that better?

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Ok. Pussies. Is that better?

I guess when you're a general studies major, why give a **** about R1 status, amirite?**

DownwardDawg
12-18-2018, 10:05 PM
I guess when you're a general studies major, why give a **** about R1 status, amirite?**

Nope. You’re not right.

WPDawg
12-18-2018, 10:15 PM
How are those the only options? And why on Earth would you make that the limit?

We should just aspire to be on Mississippi College's level, academically.....they could compete in the SEC.*

No idea on how this particular poll works or who runs it. Is it a beauty contest or who gives the most money to the ones running the poll? Serious question..... what exactly is being handled inefficiently that could be corrected?

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 10:23 PM
No idea on how this particular poll works or who runs it.

Jesus dude.....it's not a poll.

Not to be a total dick (I promise), but I suggest you at least know what R1 Carnegie status is before you comment on it. Again, not being a dick, just giving honest advice.

For any school that fancy's itself a research university, this is pretty much an essential threshold that must be met. This hasn't been an issue for State until recently, and people (alums, faculty, students, prospective students, alike) haven't been happy about it. It's great news that we're back, but meantime, Ole Miss (of all ****ing schools), has been able to advertise itself as the only R1 university in MS....when prior to a few years ago, it was us, as they've only recently elevated their STEM departments to a level worthy of R1. Again: Big. Deal.

WPDawg
12-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Jesus dude.....it's not a poll.

Not to be a total dick (I promise), but I suggest you at least know what R1 Carnegie status is before you comment on it. Again, not being a dick, just giving honest advice.

For any school that fancy's itself a research university, this is pretty much an essential threshold that must be met. This hasn't been an issue for State until recently, and people (alums, faculty, students, prospective students, alike) haven't been happy about it. It's great news that we're back, but meantime, Ole Miss (of all ****ing schools), has been able to advertise itself as the only R1 university in MS....when prior to a few years ago, it was us, as they've only recently elevated their STEM departments to a level worthy of R1. Again: Big. Deal.

That's my point originally. You commented on it being terrible being out of top 25 but really did not elaborate on what designations prompted us to be in or out of it. I was looking for a more in depth answer to explain your reasoning for disappointment. I did not start the thread but was trying to understand if there was some substance to the rating or is it just a "Best in town" rating because someone bought more advertising space.

So the question is.... What substance are we lacking or were short of in being consistently in the top 25?

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 10:42 PM
That's my point originally. You commented on it being terrible being out of top 25 but really did not elaborate on what designations prompted us to be in or out of it. I was looking for a more in depth answer to explain your reasoning for disappointment. I did not start the thread but was trying to understand if there was some substance to the rating or is it just a "Best in town" rating because someone bought more advertising space.

So the question is.... What substance are we lacking or were short of in being consistently in the top 25?

Ah, well fair enough, though it's not a "top 25" type system. Essentially, R1 status is achieved by a certain level of graduate and faculty research, grant funding brought in, and degrees awarded. It's basically indicative of an institution that prides a rigorous presence of research and grant writing/acquisition, while applying both to students and their own development.

It's a huge selling point, not only to prospective students, but to new/up-and-coming faculty you want to attract to your university. It's how we stay competitive, not only from a research perspective, but also an educational one.

To be honest, I'm not sure what happened at State that led to us being dropped; I don't think there was an announcement made as to why, either. I just know it occurred after we moved from Starkville, and that people have been pissed about it.

WPDawg
12-18-2018, 11:07 PM
Ah, well fair enough, though it's not a "top 25" type system. Essentially, R1 status is achieved by a certain level of graduate and faculty research, grant funding brought in, and degrees awarded. It's basically indicative of an institution that prides a rigorous presence of research and grant writing/acquisition, while applying both to students and their own development.

It's a huge selling point, not only to prospective students, but to new/up-and-coming faculty you want to attract to your university. It's how we stay competitive, not only from a research perspective, but also an educational one.

To be honest, I'm not sure what happened at State that led to us being dropped; I don't think there was an announcement made as to why, either. I just know it occurred after we moved from Starkville, and that people have been pissed about it.

I see. So quality grant writing seems the key as you compete against other institutions vying for the same big dollar. Are there veteran "grant writers" employed by MSU or does that responsibility fall solely on teaching faculty, researchers and grad students?

BeardoMSU
12-18-2018, 11:16 PM
I see. So quality grant writing seems the key as you compete against other institutions vying for the same big dollar. Are there veteran "grant writers" employed by MSU or does that responsibility fall solely on teaching faculty, researchers and grad students?

You typically see the most aggressive grant writing from junior faculty, both to establish their own research programs, and to fund their prospective graduate students (so they can have projects of their own to do).

WPDawg
12-18-2018, 11:24 PM
You typically see the most aggressive grant writing from junior faculty, both to establish their own research programs, and to fund their prospective graduate students (so they can have projects of their own to do).

Thanks for the background info.