PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Recruiting

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2018, 06:17 PM
What is it with these former Alabama assistants? Mario Cristobal

What do they know about recruiting that the rest of us don't?

Perhaps Oregon's recruiting class will "normalize or regress to the mean" by signing day, but this seems odd.

55K seat stadium in the NW with not much championship tradition, & very little in-state talent pool. Sure, they were great under Chip Kelly & have Nike but they have never recruited close to what they are doing now & they haven't even been very good lately.

They currently have the #5 recruiting class.

Here are their past recruiting classes:

2018 - 13
2017 - 19
2016 - 27
2015 - 16
2014 - 21
2013 - 19
2012 - 14
2011 - 12
2010 - 12

fader2103
12-17-2018, 06:37 PM
I would have to say Oregon has the best facilities in the nation. I could see why 17-18 year olds would want to go there.

TimberBeast
12-17-2018, 06:44 PM
I would have to say Oregon has the best facilities in the nation. I could see why 17-18 year olds would want to go there.

Did they build them this year?

bulldawg28
12-17-2018, 06:45 PM
They have too many reasons to name. They also have 1/4 of the country to recruit from in California.

FriarsPoint
12-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Money. They’re willing to spend it on more than facilities. That’s how they’re doing it and the numbers are astounding.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Money. They’re willing to spend it on more than facilities. That’s how they’re doing it and the numbers are astounding.

This is true but they've had great facilities for years. What is causing this particular class to see such an uptick?

Homedawg
12-17-2018, 07:22 PM
They have 7 top 12 classes. This is above norm but it's not crazy and the recruiting season isn't over.

Ari Gold
12-17-2018, 07:36 PM
This is true but they've had great facilities for years. What is causing this particular class to see such an uptick?

6 of their top 7 players are from California
It’s not like they are pulling a handful of 4 and 5 star kids from Georgia , Fla or Texas
It’s not like They have just jumped into the top 10 , like Homedog said
Also the fact that USC and UCLA are down probably doesn’t hurt.

Dawgfan77
12-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Ok they have Nike. They have flashy uniforms for those that like traditional shit. Cool uniforms sell to kids. And facilities

Comparable. We have good facilities that will get better but here something some old tards (I?m old so I can say it ) need to understand. Addidas and our changes in uniforms is a good thing so embrace the pink sliver black and maroon

dawgday166
12-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Money. They?re willing to spend it on more than facilities. That?s how they?re doing it and the numbers are astounding.

There's more to "The Process" than just hard work, dedication, taking it one step/one play at a time, and the desire to succeed.

Bothrops
12-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Nike. It also helps that Oregon has no NFL team.

BuckyIsAB****
12-18-2018, 12:50 AM
Not a whole lot of difference in a lot of those classes. The difference in the 10th rated class and the 15th is not much if any.

They play an exciting brand of ball for skill players and they have cool uniforms, a great atmosphere and great facilities

TUSK
12-18-2018, 10:56 AM
There's more to "The Process" than just hard work, dedication, taking it one step/one play at a time, and the desire to succeed.

ODD doin' werk...

http://www.daisyducks.org/

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Nike. It also helps that Oregon has no NFL team.

SMH

Doggie_Style
12-18-2018, 11:04 AM
they have legal weed so the fam loves to visit***

smootness
12-18-2018, 11:12 AM

They finally have an elite recruiter there. It's really not a big mystery.

dawgs
12-18-2018, 11:14 AM
1) great facilities (the only facilities I've seen on the west coast that rival SEC caliber in quality)
2) California talent
3) USC/UCLA are both down, with Helton at USC on the hot seat
4) legal weed
5) hot California girls not smart enough to get into the UC system as a freshman (pretty damn hard to do if you wanna go to UCLA or Berkeley) come up to Eugene by the truckload
6) Nike

TUSK
12-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Exactly this...

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2018, 11:17 AM
1) great facilities (the only facilities I've seen on the west coast that rival SEC caliber in quality)
2) California talent
3) USC/UCLA are both down, with Helton at USC on the hot seat
4) legal weed
5) hot California girls not smart enough to get into the UC system as a freshman (pretty damn hard to do if you wanna go to UCLA or Berkeley) come up to Eugene by the truckload
6) Nike

Again, the question wasn't "why does Oregon recruit well?". The question was, "why is this class currently so much better than past classes?"

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Yes that is obvious & thus the question: what do these ex-Alabama coaches know about recruiting that the rest of us don't?

smootness
12-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Yes that is obvious & thus the question: what do these ex-Alabama coaches know about recruiting that the rest of us don't?

It's not that they learn something at Bama. It's that Bama goes and gets the top recruiters.

dawgs
12-18-2018, 11:24 AM

Yep, chip a bunch of 10-15th ranked classes and he actively HATED recruiting. There were stories all the time about him pissing off a croot or a croot's parents cause he refused to kiss their ass. And not in a "you'll be our start from day 1" kinda promises ass kissing, but just being a decent human being welcoming a croot to his campus and his program kinda thing.

Not croot related, but booster related (which is basically the same kinda ass kissing), I've heard through 1 degree of separation about a big time booster and his HS aged grandkid touring Oregon's new football facilities under chip. Chip walks by and doesn't look up, they get his attention and chip is visibly annoyed, booster is trying to play buddy buddy with him and joke around, says something about his grandkid being a future ducks QB or something, and chip just grumbles about not ever hearing of him and walks away.

Wasn't the only time chip did shit like that. Nike/Phil Knight still backed him cause he won, but other boosters were tired of his shit, and they weren't entirely devastated when he left. That's why I always laughed to myself whenever Chip would be tossed around for SEC openings. No chance he'd handle the smoozing required for an SEC HC. Brilliant coach, but a weird dude without much in the way of social skills.

TUSK
12-18-2018, 11:28 AM

I think it's more that Saban evaluates and chooses individuals that show great potential as coaches and recruiters... Not so much that there is some double-naught Illuminati secret or anything nefarious, necessarily... And the fact that some of these former Bammer coaches go to places that are already considered "big time" programs needs to be considered, as well...

Ohio State, Michigan, PSU, Texas, Okie, USC, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Clemson, and FSU all recruit pretty well, too.

TUSK
12-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Yep, chip a bunch of 10-15th ranked classes and he actively HATED recruiting. There were stories all the time about him pissing off a croot or a croot's parents cause he refused to kiss their ass. And not in a "you'll be our start from day 1" kinda promises ass kissing, but just being a decent human being welcoming a croot to his campus and his program kinda thing.

Not croot related, but booster related (which is basically the same kinda ass kissing), I've heard through 1 degree of separation about a big time booster and his HS aged grandkid touring Oregon's new football facilities under chip. Chip walks by and doesn't look up, they get his attention and chip is visibly annoyed, booster is trying to play buddy buddy with him and joke around, says something about his grandkid being a future ducks QB or something, and chip just grumbles about not ever hearing of him and walks away.

Wasn't the only time chip did shit like that. Nike/Phil Knight still backed him cause he won, but other boosters were tired of his shit, and they weren't entirely devastated when he left. That's why I always laughed to myself whenever Chip would be tossed around for SEC openings. No chance he'd handle the smoozing required for an SEC HC. Brilliant coach, but a weird dude without much in the way of social skills.

Oregon boosters HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATED Chip Kelly....

dawgs
12-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Again, the question wasn't "why does Oregon recruit well?". The question was, "why is this class currently so much better than past classes?"

As others said, they typically have recruited in the 10-20 range over the past decade. A 1 year jump into the 5-10 range isn't outlandish given the factors I pointed out, plus the fact that bama fans all touted cristobal's recruiting skills and were bummed he left for Oregon to be taggart's OC after Saban didn't promote him to OC a couple years ago.

dawgday166
12-18-2018, 11:46 AM
ODD doin' werk...

http://www.daisyducks.org/

LOL ... they learning well.

dawgs
12-18-2018, 11:54 AM
It's not that they learn something at Bama. It's that Bama goes and gets the top recruiters.

And that builds connections with the folks tied to 5* kids that run camps and training academies and what not, plus coaches at HSs consistently pumping out top tier talent. Plus just learning what types of pitches work on high level kids and their parents is something that is fine tuned at bama moreso than anywhere else in the country.

fishwater99
12-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Phil Knight

University of Oregon
Knight has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to the University of Oregon. Major gifts include funds supporting the renovation of the Knight Library and construction of the Knight Law Center. Knight also established endowed chairs across the campus.[43] In the fall of 2016, it was announced that Knight will donate $500 million to UO for a new three-building laboratory and research science complex.[44] This donation was part of a series of large higher-education gifts.[45]

msu15
12-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Phil Knight

University of Oregon
Knight has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to the University of Oregon. Major gifts include funds supporting the renovation of the Knight Library and construction of the Knight Law Center. Knight also established endowed chairs across the campus.[43] In the fall of 2016, it was announced that Knight will donate $500 million to UO for a new three-building laboratory and research science complex.[44] This donation was part of a series of large higher-education gifts.[45]

One of you MFers invent a Virtual Reality gaming device like the one in the Ready Player One movie so our school can catch up man.