PDA

View Full Version : Nick griffin

msstate7
10-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Saw him at fb some last week. Is that gonna be formation we use going forward?

BeastMan
10-19-2013, 11:09 AM
We should IMO. I wrote something on this topic a while back

msstate7
10-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I agree. Sets up a nice triple option

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Saw him at fb some last week. Is that gonna be formation we use going forward?

Someone should have read Armchair QB. I've been preaching this for weeks now. Griff appears to have lost a step after his most recent knee injury, but he's still a big, physical back. He'd make one hell of a FB. And on point: I saw lots of Griff at FB in the first half when we were running the ball down BG's throat. I didn't see much of him in the second half, and we struggled running the ball. Coincidence? I think not.

msstate7
10-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Someone should have read Armchair QB. I've been preaching this for weeks now. Griff appears to have lost a step after his most recent knee injury, but he's still a big, physical back. He'd make one hell of a FB. And on point: I saw lots of Griff at FB in the first half when we were running the ball down BG's throat. I didn't see much of him in the second half, and we struggled running the ball. Coincidence? I think not.

My bad war

slickdawg
10-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Griff has lost a step after two ACLs, but he's without a doubt our best blocker. He's got great hands to catch it out of the backfield, strong and can get those short yards between the tackles. It also gets him on the field, because if anyone deserves it, he does. He's a redshirt junior and has spent more time rehabbing than he has playing football, but he's kept a great attitude and gives relentless effort.

preachermatt83
10-19-2013, 11:57 AM
I think we just gotta figure out ways to get him on the field.. the kid gives unreal effort on every single play but he can flat out tote the rock... FB is not a bad option because he can block, catch out of the backfield, offer the triple option, and flat out tear it up running between the tackles.. but thus far we have only seen him at FB when they call for the heavy set.

preachermatt83
10-19-2013, 11:58 AM

I did read it and thought you were spot on... good job!

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Griff has lost a step after two ACLs, but he's without a doubt our best blocker. He's got great hands to catch it out of the backfield, strong and can get those short yards between the tackles. It also gets him on the field, because if anyone deserves it, he does. He's a redshirt junior and has spent more time rehabbing than he has playing football, but he's kept a great attitude and gives relentless effort.

Exactly. Putting Griff at FB maximizes our offense. And he's earned a way onto the field.

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2013, 12:09 PM
My bad war

Haha, no biggie. Mostly just screwin' with ya. Glad to see my idea is picking up steam, though. Griffin would be a badass FB.

Coach34
10-19-2013, 12:14 PM
We need 2 RB's with Dakota in there more often. Less WR's- more RB's. That is where our talent is.

BeastMan
10-19-2013, 12:38 PM
This is what I a lil over month ago. I'm not worried about the page visit so here is what I wrote.

I’ll admit that the idea hit me in the middle of a discussion on a message board about MSU running backs. One thing MSU fans always bring up is how much they liked the offense when a fullback was a part of the system. With good reason too, MSU had the SEC’s #1 rushing offense in 2009 and #2 in 2010 when FB Patrick Hanrahan was an integral part of the offense. The question is if MSU and Nick Griffin would mutually benefit from the move.

Many feel that Griffin is the most talented of MSU’s running backs but he has been injury riddled since his arrival in Starkville . Two straight brutal knee injuries may have led to a bit of explosiveness loss but it is still reported that he runs a sub 4.5 40. That is plenty fast enough to make plays.

Reasons for a move to FB:

-Griffin is listed at 6′ 225. He has the size.

-Although his explosiveness may have taken a hit, he is still ultra-athletic for FB.

-He is strong as an ox and is touted as one of MSU’s work out warriors.

-He has good hands and would be great out of the backfield as a pass catcher in play action scenarios.

-He’s arguably the best pass blocker of the RBs now. One would have to assume run blocking would come easy.

-The most simple reason: In my opinion, his talent needs to be on the field because he can help you win games.

I think this idea should be worth a look in practice at the least. As of now, Ladarius Perkins and Josh Robinson are the guys getting the bulk of the carries. Griffin isn’t being used much as a feature back anyway. Think about the offenses in ’09 and ’10. Relf, Dixon/Ballard, and Hanrahan in the backfield. Now think Dak, Perkins/Robinson/Shumpert, and Griffin at FB. I would argue that with Griffin at FB, there would be much more athleticism than in ’09/’10 and much more versatility because Griffin is much more dangerous than Hanrahan in the passing game.

This is just an idea but it intrigues me. There is no doubt MSU needs to throw a wrinkle at opposing defenses and this could be interesting. Probably won’t happen but I like the possibilities in my head.

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2013, 12:48 PM
This is what I a lil over month ago. I'm not worried about the page visit so here is what I wrote.

I’ll admit that the idea hit me in the middle of a discussion on a message board about MSU running backs. One thing MSU fans always bring up is how much they liked the offense when a fullback was a part of the system. With good reason too, MSU had the SEC’s #1 rushing offense in 2009 and #2 in 2010 when FB Patrick Hanrahan was an integral part of the offense. The question is if MSU and Nick Griffin would mutually benefit from the move.

Many feel that Griffin is the most talented of MSU’s running backs but he has been injury riddled since his arrival in Starkville . Two straight brutal knee injuries may have led to a bit of explosiveness loss but it is still reported that he runs a sub 4.5 40. That is plenty fast enough to make plays.

Reasons for a move to FB:

-Griffin is listed at 6′ 225. He has the size.

-Although his explosiveness may have taken a hit, he is still ultra-athletic for FB.

-He is strong as an ox and is touted as one of MSU’s work out warriors.

-He has good hands and would be great out of the backfield as a pass catcher in play action scenarios.

-He’s arguably the best pass blocker of the RBs now. One would have to assume run blocking would come easy.

-The most simple reason: In my opinion, his talent needs to be on the field because he can help you win games.

I think this idea should be worth a look in practice at the least. As of now, Ladarius Perkins and Josh Robinson are the guys getting the bulk of the carries. Griffin isn’t being used much as a feature back anyway. Think about the offenses in ’09 and ’10. Relf, Dixon/Ballard, and Hanrahan in the backfield. Now think Dak, Perkins/Robinson/Shumpert, and Griffin at FB. I would argue that with Griffin at FB, there would be much more athleticism than in ’09/’10 and much more versatility because Griffin is much more dangerous than Hanrahan in the passing game.

This is just an idea but it intrigues me. There is no doubt MSU needs to throw a wrinkle at opposing defenses and this could be interesting. Probably won’t happen but I like the possibilities in my head.

You and I are on the same page. I don't think Griff is sub-4.5 anymore, though. But he's still plenty fast enough to be a FB.

BeastMan
10-19-2013, 12:54 PM
You and I are on the same page. I don't think Griff is sub-4.5 anymore, though. But he's still plenty fast enough to be a FB.

Ya me either but we both know that those hand times 40's are generous. I don't know exactly what he runs but some pay boards had said that in the summer. You know how it is, I don't believe a hand timed 4.3 for a second but I still know its fast