PDA

View Full Version : Not how I wanted my first shot at deer hunting to go this season

starkvegasdawg
12-16-2018, 02:27 AM
I don't have a lot of chances to hunt but today was one of those chances. I get up everyday for work at 5:00am so I don't do the early morning hunt. The weekend are for sleeping a little late. But I get up get ready to leave. Grab my box of shells from the closet and see they are less than good shape. Not risking them and go to get a new box. Walk in Academy and they don't have one box of 180gr 30.06 in any brand. I've shot Remington 180gr pointed soft points since I started hunting. Well today it's going to be 150gr. Drive the hour to my grandparents old farm and it's drizzling rain and a little windy. I don't care as I'm hunting a box stand. Go to load my magazine and something isn't right. The first shell loads fine but the second one causes my spring to collapse. No clue what is going on. About to say screw it I only need one shot anyway. Then I notice the one shell loaded has the tip barely extending over the edge of the mag. Odd. I have it pushed back all the way. It is now I realize the problem. I brought the .243 instead of the 30.06. Both are identical Remington 742 Woodsmasters and I simply didn't notice. The only working I weapon I had was my 9mm pistol on my hip and I don't think I'll try to bring down the elusive whitetail with it. So I load back up, head home, and try again Wednesday when maybe I get to bring my son along.

Howboutdemdogs
12-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Strange....have you broke it down and found the cause? It the spring clip worn out?

SpeckleDawg
12-16-2018, 05:59 PM
Ouch. We've all had those kinda days in the woods.

The weekend are for sleeping a little late.
Blasphemy!

SpeckleDawg
12-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Strange....have you broke it down and found the cause? It the spring clip worn out?

He tried to put a 30-06 round in a .243. Ha

Howboutdemdogs
12-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Oh, I see that now. When I was reading it, I was actually hunting. Did not have the readers on, so I was skimming. My bad.