PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech has done it.

Lord McBuckethead
12-14-2018, 11:23 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/a604gx/texas_tech_approves_sale_of_alcohol_at_games/

Serving beer at games. SEC, interesting how they proceed after this next years test subject.

IngomarDawg
12-14-2018, 11:54 AM
I have long wondered what the cons to serving beer at the game would be. To me, it could be priced at a point where you couldn't go in and get sloppy drunk. Plus it would likely lower the amount people sneaking in flasks of liquor. Stop serving beer after say Q3 to reduce the amount of intoxicated drivers. Increase revenue and reduce binge drinking in the junction before kickoff. Seems like a win win to me. But then again I am not paid to decide these types of things.

thf24
12-14-2018, 12:01 PM
I have long wondered what the cons to serving beer at the game would be. To me, it could be priced at a point where you couldn't go in and get sloppy drunk. Plus it would likely lower the amount people sneaking in flasks of liquor. Stop serving beer after say Q3 to reduce the amount of intoxicated drivers. Increase revenue and reduce binge drinking in the junction before kickoff. Seems like a win win to me. But then again I am not paid to decide these types of things.

The biggest benefit in my opinion is that it would cut down on people binging before the game, leading to less incidents that result from blackout drunks entering the crowded and excited atmosphere of an early-game stadium.

StateDawg44
12-14-2018, 01:20 PM

This is all relative though.

Stopping after Q3 is a good idea. But I don't drink beer so I would still be sneaking in my whiskey. I'm also not one to get sloppy drunk and do anything crazy though.

Bothrops
12-14-2018, 01:39 PM
I sure do enjoy a cold brew, but this could be problematic especially with today's college kids. Spare me the headaches.

Jack Lambert
12-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Hell I don't want it. It already takes freaking 30 minutes to get a pop corn and a drink. How long will it take when they are serving beer and having to ask for ID to sell it to you?

NWADAWG
12-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Put the beer in it's own stand and the line to actual concessions would likely be reduced.

StateDawg44
12-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Hell I don't want it. It already takes freaking 30 minutes to get a pop corn and a drink. How long will it take when they are serving beer and having to ask for ID to sell it to you?

I would think that if you want a wristband you stand in line to get one if you are 21 or older. That could possibly present problems though with underage drinking.

Also I would think beer vendors would have their own "booth" type of thing with beer on ice to prevent that. I would hope at least.

Pit Bull
12-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Even though I don't drink, smoke, or do recreational drugs....I guess it still effects me since I will have to sit around those who will take it to the excess. Then I'll end up having to learn this song!......

https://youtu.be/xIFQkbhTIGk

notoriousdog
12-14-2018, 04:52 PM
I believe almost everywhere this has been implemented (WVU, OSU, OKST) reported fewer alcohol violation arrests on campus during gameday. It's missed revenue and a no-brainer for other schools to follow suit. I went to the K-State game this year and they had a beer garden that was inside the stadium, but not in the general seating area. Plenty of beer vendors and TVs to watch the game. Only catch was that you couldn't leave the area with your beer. Not too big of a deal though.

RougeDawg
12-14-2018, 05:20 PM
I believe almost everywhere this has been implemented (WVU, OSU, OKST) reported fewer alcohol violation arrests on campus during gameday. It's missed revenue and a no-brainer for other schools to follow suit. I went to the K-State game this year and they had a beer garden that was inside the stadium, but not in the general seating area. Plenty of beer vendors and TVs to watch the game. Only catch was that you couldn't leave the area with your beer. Not too big of a deal though.

This is a natural human result. Make something easier to acces or obtain, and you will see less abuse of said object. Knowing something is readily available, instinctively relaxes the human mind and reduces overindulging.

Professional sports venues stop servintagter Q3 or inning 7. I enjoy walking over to Tulane baseball games and grabbing a cold local craft beer. Nice end to a work day. I?ve been to a dozen or so on campus Tulane baseball and football games and have yet to see anyone sloppy. Side point, the football games are fun, even when the team sucks. . The stadium makes you feel like you are on the field watching.

dawgs
12-14-2018, 07:17 PM
I sure do enjoy a cold brew, but this could be problematic especially with today's college kids. Spare me the headaches.

Because pounding beers and/or liquor in the junction so you are hammered for the game and then sneaking in flasks of hard liquor (easier to sneak in than lower alcohol content beer) to dump into your 32 oz coke doesn't happen? As many have said, legal beer access in the stadium actually reduces pregame drinking and will reduce the amount of hard alcohol snuck into the stadium. Sure, it's not gonna prevent every instance of overdrinking, but it reduces the instances of overdrinking. Plus the cost (probably about $10 for a 20 oz beer) and the time spent in line would prevent folks from just shotgunning beers at a high rate and getting hammered.

Nothing will ever stop drunk assholes, but when there's a way to reduce the number of drunk assholes, why not?