PDA

View Full Version : Not going into detail- but

Behrdawg
10-19-2013, 10:20 AM
From what I'm hearing about the future of our baseball facilities- it's going to be the "shock and awe" of college baseball. I am still in shock and awe after hearing about it. This is going to be huge. It's a good time to be a Dawg, fellas.

messageboardsuperhero
10-19-2013, 10:22 AM
You and I must be hearing similar things...

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Can you provide any details? Whats the harm in telling us?

Op4isabitch
10-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah spill the beans. You can't do us that way!

engie
10-19-2013, 10:46 AM

Too early in the process. Too much can and will change. No one is wanting to put details out there -- have some stuff change or otherwise not turn out to be true -- and get killed about it by the Rebs looking to discredit us and the sheep in our own fanbase. And yes, that definitely would happen...

Once the administration basically came to terms with the fact that the grandstand has to come down, it seems that the gloves are coming off. And someone has pledged to fund a big chunk of this thing for Strick -- no doubt about it. You don't just suddenly change your approach about something like he did otherwise.

ETA: PM is how to handle it for now...until it gets further into the process -- and we've got more than just preliminary architectural drawings leaking out...

Behrdawg
10-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Nothing is set in stone- plans are still being drawn up but the money seems to be in place. The ideas that have been put in place by administration and donors are incredible. Just waiting on the finished product (plans). When that happens- either I or some of the others will share.

Think LSU spent some money on their stadium? Ha...

BeastMan
10-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Count me in the excited camp

Political Hack
10-19-2013, 10:51 AM
It's coming... and it will be glorious.

messageboardsuperhero
10-19-2013, 11:06 AM
The basic designs are just getting started so no specific details are set in stone, but I do know that their initial ideas are very impressive. The architects have made a great start. There is definitely going to be an extremely large financial investment in this, and our administration has made a serious commitment to doing this right like many of us have been hoping for a while now.

msstate7
10-19-2013, 11:08 AM

It's gonna be better than Camden yards**

bully99
10-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Will it be on the existing location or a new one???

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Ive seen prelim drawings. Guys, this will be the taj mahal (spelling) of college baseball. I know designs change but they are thinking big.

AlmostPositive
10-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Is Taj Mahal better than Carnegie Hall? Seriously, it really is a no brainer to elevate the baseball venue to the highest possible level. The fact that the powers that be would actually do the right thing shouldn't be surprising, but it sort of is. Let's hope it's all in place by 2016 at the latest...

engie
10-19-2013, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to this...with twice the premium seating this has...

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/minors/whataburgerfield.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6012/5932160753_d07dd2c470_z.jpg

Would be similar to ours -- because the open concourse is actually above ground level, unlike Pearl and other places.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Timeline is 2-4 years

engie
10-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Is Taj Mahal better than Carnegie Hall? Seriously, it really is a no brainer to elevate the baseball venue to the highest possible level. The fact that the powers that be would actually do the right thing shouldn't be surprising, but it sort of it. Let's hope it's all in place by 2016 at the latest...

No hurry. Let Bama build theirs first.

In doing this, ALL of our baseball competition has either built anew or underwent major renovations in the past 5ish years, and we'll know exactly what we've got to "beat". It allows us to be the best stadium in college baseball for the next 20 years without much concern for being "one-upped". He who gets the last laugh wins...

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Whataburger Field is great. I've been there numerous times. Great place to watch a game. Whataburger Field and Dell Diamond (Round Rock) were done by the same architecture firm and are very similar designs. Both Stadium are great.

Others that are good:

Charlotte will open a new minor league stadium next season:http://www.google.com/search?q=new+charlotte+baseball+stadium&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=B7hiUtH6NubH2wXPmYGYCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=738#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=zp5sUSsVtFU8jM%3A%3BumUatabkhvSBwM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fcharlotteknightsuptown.files.wordpress .com%252F2012%252F05%252Fbbt-ballpark-rendering_2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fbringbaseball home.com%252F%3B1252%3B676

NorthWest Arkansas Naturals new park is good as well:http://www.google.com/search?q=arvest+park&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=LbliUs2cAefX2QWVxIDgDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=738#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=_bVqB-vpE2ZuPM%3A%3BOXldGrToTCmdoM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F ballparks.baseballyakker.com%252Fwp-content%252Fgallery%252Farvest-park%252Farvest-ballpark-019.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fballparks.baseballyak ker.com%252F%253Fpage_id%253D906%3B800%3B600

Whatever we do, we need to make sure it looks like the union, football stadium expansion, and the basketball practice facility. The red brick and precast will look great on the outside of an awesome state of the art stadium.

One thing I wish we would do is to tier the left field lounge so that the stadium has a complete bowl look and make it louder.

Will James
10-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Will it be on the existing location or a new one???

+1

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Engie, it doesnt matter what bama does. We are thinking so next level that people will literally shit. It will be so far ahead of what is currently out there that it changes the entire game.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-19-2013, 11:50 AM
+1

Existing as of now

slickdawg
10-19-2013, 12:00 PM
From what I've heard, we are going to shame some AA/AAA parks. It's going to be the baseball equivalent of the $60M Allen TX HS football stadium - so far ahead of everyone else it will not be funny. Not saying it's gonna be 60MM, but the difference in what we're building and what everyone else has or is building, the only comparison is the game of baseball is played there. The fan experience will be second to none, by far.

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2013, 12:05 PM
I calling it now:

The biggest challenge that our administration is going to have is building an awesome state of the art new stadium, while also trying to retain the authentic, down-home, non-coperate feel of Dudy Noble. An awesome new stadium is great, but, if its too cooperate and minor league-ish, our atmosphere could loose the character that has for so long made it the best.

The authenticity and randomness of the LFL must be preserved.

messageboardsuperhero
10-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I calling it now:

The biggest challenge that our administration is going to have is building an awesome state of the art new stadium, while also trying to retain the authentic, down-home, non-coperate feel of Dudy Noble. An awesome new stadium is great, but, if its too cooperate and minor league-ish, our atmosphere could loose the character that has for so long made it the best.

It will be a challenge, but I think the administration knows how important the LFL is. All this talk about Stricklin wanting to do away with the Lounge is an overreaction. Will there be changes? Sure. Will some people be end up being a little inconvenienced? Probably, but the good will far outweigh the bad.

I see no reason why we can't build a great stadium and keep what we love about the Lounge. It will more than likely end up being a "best of both worlds" scenario.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Engie, it doesnt matter what bama does. We are thinking so next level that people will literally shit. It will be so far ahead of what is currently out there that it changes the entire game.

I'm so damn wooly I'm sweating just sitting here. If any of you good fellows want to PM me some info, ye ole lips are sealed. Thanks for the update by the way

Todd4State
10-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I calling it now:

I wish they would do away with the chicken dance. I hate it.

bully99
10-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Chicken Hater

AlSwearengen
10-19-2013, 12:47 PM
yeah, someone pm me if you don't mind. Coach or Todd might vouch for my ability to keep my mouth shut. Thanks

Todd4State
10-19-2013, 12:49 PM
It will be a challenge, but I think the administration knows how important the LFL is. All this talk about Stricklin wanting to do away with the Lounge is an overreaction. Will there be changes? Sure. Will some people be end up being a little inconvenienced? Probably, but the good will far outweigh the bad.

I see no reason why we can't build a great stadium and keep what we love about the Lounge. It will more than likely end up being a "best of both worlds" scenario.

Stricklin would probably get fired if he did away with the LFL. At the meeting I attended, everyone- including those that were critical of the LFL- agreed that it should stay. The only person I've seen say that it should go away was some guy on Genespage, and no one agrees with him. You don't do away with something that Sports Illustrated considers a "sports destination". And especially when you are us.

Some are worried about the atmosphere and all of that- I really think that what we are going to do combined with what Cohen is going to put onto the field is going to make for a pretty awesome place to be to watch baseball. We can do this as a University and a fan base- we've done it before. We can do it again- and hopefully top what we did in the past.

Todd4State
10-19-2013, 12:50 PM
yeah, someone pm me if you don't mind. Coach or Todd might vouch for my ability to keep my mouth shut. Thanks

I can vouche for Al.

Will James
10-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm so damn wooly I'm sweating just sitting here. If any of you good fellows want to PM me some info, ye ole lips are sealed. Thanks for the update by the way

WJ seconds the motion for a PM

smootness
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Can we finally give Stricklin a little bit of credit?

I know no plans have been unveiled, but he's already done the best job he could possibly do in assembling the architecture team, and he seems serious about blowing the country's mind with this stadium, as the fanbase has been afraid wouldn't happen.

I really think he gets it as an AD.

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
If it is going to be on that grand of a scale, then it is definitely going to take more than an offseason to build. Then I think Stricklin needs to give serious consideration to playing a season in DWS like the suggestion earlier this week on this board. Keeps the energy, and the money, on campus and creates a cool change leading to the new venue. Could you imagine SBW with Ole Miss or UF at DWD??? It would be awesome.

smootness
10-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Any way you could build the basic structure to at least allow for a good many fans to sit and watch games, while continuing to build in other areas? Say you lay the foundation, make some changes to the field if you're going to, and put in the main core of the grandstand, dugouts, etc., and allow for people to still sit out in the LFL area. Then you continue to build the concourse and some other things but allow people to still enter the stadium?

Is that a possibility to allow us to continue playing games there even if everything isn't finished?

Todd4State
10-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Can we finally give Stricklin a little bit of credit?

I know no plans have been unveiled, but he's already done the best job he could possibly do in assembling the architecture team, and he seems serious about blowing the country's mind with this stadium, as the fanbase has been afraid wouldn't happen.

I really think he gets it as an AD.

I've seen several people give him credit for having the meetings- and I think he is on the right track with this. But he shouldn't get "full credit" until this thing actually gets built. His credit will come in time.

TheRef
10-19-2013, 01:27 PM
I've seen several people give him credit for having the meetings- and I think he is on the right track with this. But he shouldn't get "full credit" until this thing actually gets built. His credit will come in time.

This will be Stricklin's legacy here at MSU. Now it's his decision whether it will be a good or bad legacy.

nsvltndog
10-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Folks are talking about Bama's new stadium, but the Florida Gators are also playing in an unimpressive stadium. With their ability to raise funds, it's amazing that they elected to do nothing with their facilities after some of their recent success in Omaha the last several years. I would tend to think they may be a bigger recruiting competitor for us than Bama, especially going forward.

Quaoarsking
10-19-2013, 01:41 PM
If it is going to be on that grand of a scale, then it is definitely going to take more than an offseason to build. Then I think Stricklin needs to give serious consideration to playing a season in DWS like the suggestion earlier this week on this board. Keeps the energy, and the money, on campus and creates a cool change leading to the new venue. Could you imagine SBW with Ole Miss or UF at DWD??? It would be awesome.

Is that really a good idea? Since the seats at DWS can't move, we'd have a field for a whole season like this:
http://home.danwashburn.com/images/redsoxdodgerslacoliseum.jpg

Not that I have a better idea or anything. Maybe that would actually be really cool, and there would be room for most or all of the LFL in the unused part of the football field.

TheRef
10-19-2013, 01:43 PM
I just don't think it's practical to have a game at DWS. I understand what everyone is saying that wants it at DWS, but it's not going to happen. Sorry, folks.

AlSwearengen
10-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Todd is right about the LFL and being a "destination". No matter which big money school decides to outdo us on the stadium tens years from now, they will never have the LFL. That reason alone should be the deciding factor in keeping the lounge as intact as possible.

smootness
10-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Touche, that's more than fair.

smootness
10-19-2013, 01:56 PM
I just don't think it's practical to have a game at DWS. I understand what everyone is saying that wants it at DWS, but it's not going to happen. Sorry, folks.

Agreed. It may be a cool idea for an exhibition game, but there is no way we're going to play a full home season with those dimensions. First, it would be a joke and would completely change the game. Second, you would have players completely change the way they hit at home to try to hit pop-ups to LF constantly. Continuously adjusting the way you try to hit is not a good idea for a baseball team.

#hashtag
10-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Is this going to be like the last time you guys got first hand information hot off the press? I hope it doesn't change as much as that letter did.

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Is this going to be like the last time you guys got first hand information hot off the press? I hope it doesn't change as much as that letter did.

Troll alert! Can we go ahead and drop the banhammer?

Dawg496
10-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Halfway through this football season, I'll take any kind of good news I can get.

I know I'm new but if anyone feels like sharing any insider info via PM, I'd love it.

RougeDawg
10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
So what you're saying is, we should expect an announcement on the expansion of Swayze Field real soon?**