PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Offense and 2018 defense....

BigEasyDawg
12-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Do we win a natty?

If its the 2014 season, We definitely beat UNM and have a good shot at Bama.

If it's the 2018 season, we may go undefeated as well. Would have beat UF, lsu, and Bama. I still can't fathom what happened to our D at UK.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Maybe, can bama choose to have 2011 defense and 2018 offense? Haha

msu15
12-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Mullen was the reason we didn't go 12-0 in 2014, not the defense.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Mullen was the reason we didn't go 12-0 in 2014, not the defense.

Pretty tough take. Did you watch the bama game? Dak throwing those ints is pretty tough to pin on Mullen. Our defense not getting off the field on 3rd and long after 3rd and long vs sims wasn't Mullen's fault either. I do blame Mullen for OM game prep though

Jack Lambert
12-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Pretty tough take. Did you watch the bama game? Dak throwing those ints is pretty tough to pin on Mullen. Our defense not getting off the field on 3rd and long after 3rd and long vs sims wasn't Mullen's fault either. I do blame Mullen for OM game prep though

Mullen didn't coach that game to win after the second quarter. He coached to keep it close so they would stay in the top 4.

Johnson85
12-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Do we win a natty?

If its the 2014 season, We definitely beat UNM and have a good shot at Bama.

If it's the 2018 season, we may go undefeated as well. Would have beat UF, lsu, and Bama. I still can't fathom what happened to our D at UK.

Our D was screwed on two bad calls to set up two TDs for UK, and still held them until late in the 3rd quarter before they either ran out of gas or just got discouraged by our O not giving them anything.

BhamDawg205
12-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Mullen doing what Mullen does against Bama. He coaches tight and players played tight:
1)Wasting plays running Dak and J Rob up the middle Bama's strength
2) Forgetting to use Bear until late MSU's strength.

TUSK
12-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Mullen didn't coach that game to win after the second quarter. He coached to keep it close so they would stay in the top 4.

The 2014 game was over at the ~5 minute mark in the 2nd Qtr, IMO...

However, you're dead nuts on about Mullen's tactics... at the end of the game, he played to make it look "close"/respectable and get it within 2 scores, not to try to win...

bluelightstar
12-12-2018, 12:18 PM
The 2014 game was over at the ~5 minute mark in the 2nd Qtr, IMO...

However, you're dead nuts on about Mullen's tactics... at the end of the game, he played to make it look "close"/respectable and get it within 2 scores, not to try to win...

It was 19-13 in the fourth quarter

msstate7
12-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Yep, and we let sims convert 2-3 long 3rd downs. So frustrating

TUSK
12-12-2018, 12:34 PM

Yep,,, And MSU's offense never had a chance to take the lead (beyond the 2nd Q)...

But that wasn't my point... It was that a 19 point lead is typically insurmountable, especially against a really good Bammer team, on the road.

bulldawg28
12-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Yes, we win the natty easily.

DanDority
12-12-2018, 02:24 PM
Tusk, my main mane, please explain the first touchdown given to Bama in the game, in '14.......

TUSK
12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Tusk, my main mane, please explain the first touchdown given to Bama in the game, in '14.......

The 4 yard pass Cooper caught over Hughes? Good coverage, better throw and catch...

DanDority
12-12-2018, 03:38 PM
The 4 yard pass Cooper caught over Hughes? Good coverage, better throw and catch...

Sorry, second touchdown.

TUSK
12-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Sorry, second touchdown.

I was wonderin' what that was all about!.... LOL

Henry scores TD & loses the football.
Officials rule it a fumble.
Officials overturn fumble.

BhamDawg205
12-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Was at the game... Slant to Bear was there all night. Mullen never seems to play to win vs Bama. Unless you count the 1st 2.5 quarters 2017, then Mullen went conservative

maroonmania
12-12-2018, 11:38 PM

Plus AS USUAL there was a huge call that went Bama's way (shocker!). The Derrick Henry 1 yard TD run that made the score 19-0 for Bama was a fumble recovery by MSU that was overturned to be a Bama TD even though it was called a fumble on the field and the replay didn't appear conclusive that the ball was across the goal line prior to the ball coming loose. Just sayin', if that call stands, it becomes a whole different game. I'm convinced we will never beat a Saban coached Bama team unless we outplay them so bad that one or two key calls aren't enough to change the outcome. And that's not likely to happen when they have the best players in the country.

TUSK
12-13-2018, 12:19 AM
Plus AS USUAL there was a huge call that went Bama's way (shocker!). The Derrick Henry 1 yard TD run that made the score 19-0 for Bama was a fumble recovery by MSU that was overturned to be a Bama TD even though it was called a fumble on the field and the replay didn't appear conclusive that the ball was across the goal line prior to the ball coming loose. Just sayin', if that call stands, it becomes a whole different game. I'm convinced we will never beat a Saban coached Bama team unless we outplay them so bad that one or two key calls aren't enough to change the outcome. And that's not likely to happen when they have the best players in the country.

In your opinion, did Derrick Henry break the plane of the goal line before he lost control of the ball?

mabtsdawg
12-13-2018, 03:22 AM
In your opinion, did Derrick Henry break the plane of the goal line before he lost control of the ball?

It seems very likely that Henry broke the plane with the ball. And that has absolutely nothing to do with applying the replay rule as written. Only thing that is supposed to matter is whether or not there is indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. I never saw anything close to indisputable video evidence that Henry broke the plane with the ball. But I also never thought for a moment that the rule would be applied as written in that situation.

DanDority
12-13-2018, 09:56 AM
It seems very likely that Henry broke the plane with the ball. And that has absolutely nothing to do with applying the replay rule as written. Only thing that is supposed to matter is whether or not there is indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. I never saw anything close to indisputable video evidence that Henry broke the plane with the ball. But I also never thought for a moment that the rule would be applied as written in that situation.

Exactly!

TUSK
12-13-2018, 01:06 PM

I actually thought he did break the plane, but I agree with your assessment of how the replay rule was applied... Regardless, those things happen...

For example, a very similar change of possession type call happened in the LSU/Bammer Game once... Bammer punted, obviously interfered with the returner, and recovered the muff... The officials gave Alabama possession. Fortunately, the officials went to the instant replay, saw they'd made a mistake, and gave LSU back the ball.