PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead has come a long way in my eyes since the LSU game

msstate7
12-12-2018, 08:42 AM
I was very critical, and to be honest, I thought it was more than fair. Since the LSU game though, we have outscored our opponents 160 to 49 [should be 167 to 49 (bama td)] with the only loss at a playoff team. The recruiting went from looking pretty meh to dang solid lately. Adding Hughes should help here even more next cycle. So, I feel I should give Moorhead props since I ripped him earlier. If joe can take care of business vs Iowa while scoring offensively and keep this class together with a couple more additions, looks like I was wrong about joe. Really hope this is the case... finish this year year strong, joe

MStateDawg
12-12-2018, 09:15 AM
I agree with everything you said, but I'll add this: I won't be completely sold on Moorhead (or any new head coach) until after several recruiting cycles. One of the best assets any college coach can have is their ability to identify potential in a high school player. Everybody can see the 4 and 5 stars who are great, but Mullen won a lot of game here finding the 3-stars that went on to become solid SEC players: Prescott, McKinney, Slay, Fitz, Smith, Ballard, Tubby, Day, Clausell, Market, Calhoun, Senior, De'Runnya, Story, etc., etc., etc.

I once heard one of our assistant coaches say that recruiting success/failure doesn't have anything to do with the players you fail to sign, but instead it's the players you sign that never contribute that will doom your team.

I'm going to hold off and make sure that Moorhead's recruiting looks as good on the field as it does on paper.

MrKotter
12-12-2018, 09:32 AM
I was very critical, and to be honest, I thought it was more than fair. Since the LSU game though, we have outscored our opponents 160 to 49 [should be 167 to 49 (bama td)] with the only loss at a playoff team. The recruiting went from looking pretty meh to dang solid lately. Adding Hughes should help here even more next cycle. So, I feel I should give Moorhead props since I ripped him earlier. If joe can take care of business vs Iowa while scoring offensively and keep this class together with a couple more additions, looks like I was wrong about joe. Really hope this is the case... finish this year year strong, joe

?To be honest?, you were and insufferable, childish brat

Johnson85
12-12-2018, 09:36 AM

It was more than fair. There's just no way to sugar coat how poorly we utilized our players on offense. I'm still hanging my hat on the fact that if we can destroy bad D's, we will figure out how to at least be competent against good D's. I don't take as much comfort as other people about how we played down the stretch. Just not sure what was improvement by us versus just continuing to beat up on bad defenses.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 09:38 AM
It was more than fair. There's just no way to sugar coat how poorly we utilized our players on offense. I'm still hanging my hat on the fact that if we can destroy bad D's, we will figure out how to at least be competent against good D's. I don't take as much comfort as other people about how we played down the stretch. Just not sure what was improvement by us versus just continuing to beat up on bad defenses.

Yeah, that's why I threw the stipulation about the bowl offense. We'll have had a month to get ready for a solid defense... ready to see how joe does on his final

LC Dawg
12-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Your bye week Memphis melt was awesome.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Your bye week Memphis melt was awesome.

Felt great

StarkVegasSteve
12-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Yeah, that's why I threw the stipulation about the bowl offense. We'll have had a month to get ready for a solid defense... ready to see how joe does on his final

It will definitely be interesting. Iowa really stymied that Penn St. offense last year which was one of the few times they had trouble in Joe's tenure.

tcdog70
12-12-2018, 10:06 AM
The sad thing is--if we had never passed or punted we would have probably beaten LSU.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2018, 10:11 AM

I think you just completely overreacted when it was clear we were just having growing pains.

And FWIW, I think if we played Florida, LSU, or Bama today, we'd still struggle to score. Not because Joe doesn't know what he's doing but because our QB is slow at processing information & we don't have the firepower at WR to make them pay for mistakes

msstate7
12-12-2018, 10:20 AM
I think you just completely overreacted when it was clear we were just having growing pains.

And FWIW, I think if we played Florida, LSU, or Bama today, we'd still struggle to score. Not because Joe doesn't know what he's doing but because our QB is slow at processing information & we don't have the firepower at WR to make them pay for mistakes

You realize Florida is 11th in sec (74th nationally) in rush defense, right? There was no excuse then, and there's no excuse now... blame everything on fitz though. The only team that rushed for less than us on Florida this season is Colorado st

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2018, 10:32 AM
You realize Florida is 11th in sec (74th nationally) in rush defense, right? There was no excuse then, and there's no excuse now... blame everything on fitz though. The only team that rushed for less than us on Florida this season is Colorado st

I just find it funny that your opinion is directly influenced by wins & losses.

The people's opinions that I respect are those that can tell a coach is really good when we don't win &/or can tell me a coach isn't good when we are winning.

Sorry, there were people that were saying Moorhead was a good coach when things didn't look great.

The truth here is that Moorhead hasn't really changed much since the early season losses. All that's changed is that he won some games, which made it obvious that he was a much better coach than what you were saying he was when we lost a few.

Look beyond the win/loss column if you want to be taken seriously.

Doggie_Style
12-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Great post......I guess I was naive but I was surprised how much he needed to learn about being a head coach in the SEC. We saw some stubbornness on his part but he did make the needed adjustments and is currently on great trajectory in all aspects of the job.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 10:42 AM

The people's opinions that I respect are those that can tell a coach is really good when we don't win &/or can tell me a coach isn't good when we are winning.

Sorry, there were people that were saying Moorhead was a good coach when things didn't look great.

The truth here is that Moorhead hasn't really changed much since the early season losses. All that's changed is that he won some games, which made it obvious that he was a much better coach than what you were saying he was when we lost a few.

There are times to times to look beyond wins and losses, but wins/losses is a fair judgement in this case. Moorhead didn't take over a team rebuilding. Vegas set the o/u at 8.5. Moorhead has rebounded nicely, but Kentucky and Florida are still disasters and always will be.

Johnson85
12-12-2018, 10:45 AM

This is a terrible argument. All that's changed is that he won some games = all that's changed is he got to play some bad defenses again.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 10:48 AM
This is a terrible argument. All that's changed is that he won some games = all that's changed is he got to play some bad defenses again.

The only way to "be taken seriously" or get shotgun's "respect" or be "intelligent" is to agree with him.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2018, 10:54 AM
There are times to times to look beyond wins and losses, but wins/losses is a fair judgement in this case. Moorhead didn't take over a team rebuilding. Vegas set the o/u at 8.5. Moorhead has rebounded nicely, but Kentucky and Florida are still disasters and always will be.

There is no doubt that KY & FL were disasters, but we had a new coach that was installing a new scheme. Of course they got better as the season went on. But anyone with a brain could look at Moorhead's resume & realize that this guy is a good coach.

Us naturally improving with a first year coach does not mean that Moorhead changed or got better.

LC Dawg
12-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Felt great

Ha! I'll bet it did!
I don't want to put too much into the bowl game because you can never tell how teams will play in a bowl.
What's critical to me is the start of next season. Our first 6 games are very winnable and we really should start 6-0. If we play well and drop one like at Auburn or even at Tennessee it won't be the end of the world but if we start out next year struggling on offense I may start to panic a little.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 10:57 AM
There is no doubt that KY & FL were disasters, but we had a new coach that was installing a new scheme. Of course they got better as the season went on. But anyone with a brain could look at Moorhead's resume & realize that this guy is a good coach.

Us naturally improving with a first year coach does not mean that Moorhead changed or got better.

McE had about as good a resume as you can get, and he isn't a HC anymore. Resume doesn't always translate.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Ha! I'll bet it did!
I don't want to put too much into the bowl game because you can never tell how teams will play in a bowl.
What's critical to me is the start of next season. Our first 6 games are very winnable and we really should start 6-0. If we play well and drop one like at Auburn or even at Tennessee it won't be the end of the world but if we start out next year struggling on offense I may start to panic a little.

Fair

The recruiting bump is really what has tilted my judgement more on Moorhead. If the recruiting had remained stagnant, the late season wins mean less to me. The combo is a good step forward

thf24
12-12-2018, 11:06 AM
McE had about as good a resume as you can get, and he isn't a HC anymore. Resume doesn't always translate.

McElwain's issue was that he was terrible as a program manager, and he still won 9+ games and the east twice despite being so bad on that front.

And he actually is a head coach again as of last week.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 11:13 AM
McElwain's issue was that he was terrible as a program manager, and he still won 9+ games and the east twice despite being so bad on that front.

And he actually is a head coach again as of last week.

Didn't realize he had a new job.

McE was bad in my eyes though bc he failed to field a competent offense, and offense is his background.

thf24
12-12-2018, 11:17 AM
McE was bad in my eyes though bc he failed to field a competent offense, and offense is his background.

Probably would have gone much differently for him if he hadn't been forced to run Grier off.

MarketingBully
12-12-2018, 11:17 AM

The positive is that Coach Moorhead has seen Iowa a couple of times already scoring 41 and 21 in 2016 and 2017.

Lord McBuckethead
12-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Probably would have gone much differently for him if he hadn't been forced to run Grier off.

Yeah, why did they have to run Grier off? His PED use? That's rich coming from UF.

RougeDawg
12-12-2018, 01:34 PM

I?ll have to agree that we could have run the ball wvery single play against UK and FL and won both games. The passing is what lost both of those games.

TUSK
12-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Yeah, why did they have to run Grier off? His PED use? That's rich coming from UF.

Word was he liked Coke and used a substance to mask said Coke in drug tests... the masking agent showed up as a PED...

99jc
12-12-2018, 01:41 PM
I wish I had the confidence in Moorhead as some of you do. If we go 8-4 next season I will say he has adjusted to the SEC.

msstate7
12-12-2018, 01:43 PM
I wish I had the confidence in Moorhead as some of you do. If we go 8-4 next season I will say he has adjusted to the SEC.
8-4 would be really good next season. I'd be thrilled with that

Johnson85
12-12-2018, 01:51 PM

They suspended him for PEDs. At least publicly, it was Grier's choice to leave, and he said it was b/c the coaches didn't support him when he took a supplement approved by the FLorida training staff. Who knows what the real story was.

Lord McBuckethead
12-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Word was he liked Coke and used a substance to mask said Coke in drug tests... the masking agent showed up as a PED...

God thats a stupid reason to boot someone. Coke, really isn't that big of a deal. Ask UM.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Moorhead changed his offense 3 times this season. After the UK and UF disasters he lost all confidence in his offense and went to something he had never done vs Auburn, then quit on it again after the LSU game.

Anyone who says he didnt change over the course of the season is wrong and anyone who is making excuses for him this year is wrong. He didnt do bad but he didnt do what we could have done.

He knew exactly what he had after the spring and still thought his offense was good enough to do it with a QB who had never done anything like it in his life, and also he greatly under estimated the defenses in this conference and it showed.

Our improvement had some to do with us but some to do with who we played as well. I will tell you who got better as the year went and made the biggest difference for us, and some of you will hate it but it was number 7. After the LSU game he played much better down the stretch and was the biggest reason we got better on offense. Like it or not it is fact.

West Tn Dawg
12-12-2018, 05:00 PM
I will tell you who got better as the year went and made the biggest difference for us, and some of you will hate it but it was number 7. After the LSU game he played much better down the stretch and was the biggest reason we got better on offense. Like it or not it is fact.

I don't think anyone will disagree with that. He definitely got better. The receivers also held onto a few more passes as well.

Jack Lambert
12-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Moorhead changed his offense 3 times this season. After the UK and UF disasters he lost all confidence in his offense and went to something he had never done vs Auburn, then quit on it again after the LSU game.

Anyone who says he didnt change over the course of the season is wrong and anyone who is making excuses for him this year is wrong. He didnt do bad but he didnt do what we could have done.

He knew exactly what he had after the spring and still thought his offense was good enough to do it with a QB who had never done anything like it in his life, and also he greatly under estimated the defenses in this conference and it showed.

Our improvement had some to do with us but some to do with who we played as well. I will tell you who got better as the year went and made the biggest difference for us, and some of you will hate it but it was number 7. After the LSU game he played much better down the stretch and was the biggest reason we got better on offense. Like it or not it is fact.

I will back you on it. I got every game recorded and have re watched them all. Some of them three or four times.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2018, 05:10 PM
The UK, UF, and LSU games were pathetic. We were probably a better team than all 3. If we played them all again we win at least 2 of 3. LSU being the hardest.

Those 3 games sit on Moorheads shoulders and Im sure he regrets it more than we do, but I do think he is a capable coach but more than anything he is a likable guy. That will make a huge difference in recruiting.

Jarius
12-12-2018, 05:16 PM
8-4 would be really good next season. I'd be thrilled with that

We have to win 4 ooc games and then beat Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Tennessee in order for us to win 8 games next year. Then we will have a real shot at beating both auburn and A&M. Also get LSU at home. 8 wins is very attainable. Arkansas and Ole Miss are the 2 worst P5 teams in the country right now with their current rosters.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2018, 05:19 PM
We have to win 4 ooc games and then beat Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Tennessee in order for us to win 8 games next year. Then we will have a real shot at beating both auburn and A&M. Also get LSU at home. 8 wins is very attainable. Arkansas and Ole Miss are the 2 worst P5 teams in the country right now with their current rosters.

We will be as good or better than all of those

msstate7
12-12-2018, 05:21 PM

I think Tennessee may be a tougher game that we think

Jack Lambert
12-12-2018, 05:21 PM
The UK, UF, and LSU games were pathetic. We were probably a better team than all 3. If we played them all again we win at least 2 of 3. LSU being the hardest.

Those 3 games sit on Moorheads shoulders and Im sure he regrets it more than we do, but I do think he is a capable coach but more than anything he is a likable guy. That will make a huge difference in recruiting.

I can find excuses to a certain degree with the UK and LSU both being on the road but now way can I ever find a excuse for the UF lose. Should no way, no how should we have lost that game.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2018, 05:30 PM
I can find excuses to a certain degree with the UK and LSU both being on the road but now way can I ever find a excuse for the UF lose. Should no way, no how should we have lost that game.

We would have beaten UK if we didnt throw it 30 something times, LSU was always going to be tough but we were better than them as a whole.

dawgs
12-12-2018, 05:35 PM

I'd say it should be 167-42 really. Bama's 1st TD came after they fumbled and lost it, but it wasn't called a fumble on the field and (surprise!) it wasn't reviewed.

Jarius
12-12-2018, 05:37 PM
We would have beaten UK without all of the penalties, mostly presnap. We would have a good first down play and then go backwards on a presnap penalty on every single drive.

dawgs
12-12-2018, 05:39 PM
If Osiris Mitchell doesn't drop the best deep throw of fitz's career, we'd have beaten Florida.

GreenheadDawg
12-12-2018, 05:52 PM
If Osiris Mitchell doesn't drop the best deep throw of fitz's career, we'd have beaten Florida.

This. I told my dad as soon as it happened.... we might as walk back to the truck because that’s the game.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2018, 06:35 PM
This. I told my dad as soon as it happened.... we might as walk back to the truck because that’s the game.

Maybe but that game had no business even coming down to that.

RocketDawg
12-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Maybe but that game had no business even coming down to that.

Not so sure. It's not like Florida had a totally trash team this year. They're ranked #10. I think a lot of such thought was because of anti-Mullen, when it may have been the opposite since he knew our team so well.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Not so sure. It's not like Florida had a totally trash team this year. They're ranked #10. I think a lot of such thought was because of anti-Mullen, when it may have been the opposite since he knew our team so well.

We had more rushing yards and more rushing attempts in the first half than we did the entire 2nd half

Kingbarkus
12-13-2018, 10:01 AM
1. The UK game was an abomination. Wheels came off, poor preparation, poor game plan, poor execution, you name it. I wonder if we drunk the Koolaid after the KSU road mauling. I hope this was a learning experience for Moorhead and not a seasonal occurrence.

2. Florida. Mullen out coached Shoop with the quick throws to the outside. Allowed Florida to possess the ball and sucker us into a trick play. Off the record Moorhead would tell you we dropped a pick-6 and a TD and should have won the game.

3. Lsu. I attended this game. Bad memories. Horrible effort by Fitz. Just horrible. Ironically the game solidified my thinking our defense was entering elite status. Our punter screwed us bigtime and lsu's punter hurt us (field position). I can't discuss this game too much as the hurt is too deep (living in New Orleans).

Cooterpoot
12-13-2018, 10:10 AM
I've still got to see Jo's offense work, because we haven't seen it yet. Outside of AL, we didn't face good defenses after LSU either. Still a lot to see, but I do know we need players to run that system and we're recruiting very well. Just need to find that RB and a couple WRs now.

StarkvilleGuru
12-13-2018, 10:46 AM
I agree with everything you said, but I'll add this: I won't be completely sold on Moorhead (or any new head coach) until after several recruiting cycles. One of the best assets any college coach can have is their ability to identify potential in a high school player. Everybody can see the 4 and 5 stars who are great, but Mullen won a lot of game here finding the 3-stars that went on to become solid SEC players: Prescott, McKinney, Slay, Fitz, Smith, Ballard, Tubby, Day, Clausell, Market, Calhoun, Senior, De'Runnya, Story, etc., etc., etc.

I once heard one of our assistant coaches say that recruiting success/failure doesn't have anything to do with the players you fail to sign, but instead it's the players you sign that never contribute that will doom your team.

I'm going to hold off and make sure that Moorhead's recruiting looks as good on the field as it does on paper.

Please tell me that you accidentally put De'Runnya in this group...

msstate7
12-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Please tell me that you accidentally put De'Runnya in this group...

Good offers, but he was a 0.8455 composite 3-star

thf24
12-13-2018, 10:52 AM

I may be wrong but I seem to remember hearing that his rating was hurt by the condition that he was only considering schools who'd let him play football and basketball.

BrunswickDawg
12-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Yeah - people forget that Bear was seen as a major project but with huge potential because he had only played 1 season of football in high school. Guys with his size, speed, and hops are a premium and he got big offers because of it.
I still think if he had stayed for his Senior year he makes the NFL.

dawgday166
12-13-2018, 02:57 PM
Yeah - people forget that Bear was seen as a major project but with huge potential because he had only played 1 season of football in high school. Guys with his size, speed, and hops are a premium and he got big offers because of it.
I still think if he had stayed for his Senior year he makes the NFL.

Nice college player. Too slow for NFL.

Dawg61
12-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Is this your idea of an apology to the board?

maroonmania
12-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Only excuse I will give to Moorhead is I'm not sure he was ever able to get an evaluation of Fitz in his offense until after the season started. With the injury, Fitz did no real live action in the Spring, and then still got no contact in the pre-Fall camp. Really I think we were multiple games into the season before Moorhead could really evaluate Fitz running his offense and his real time decision making. So I'm not sure its fair to say "He knew exactly what he had after the spring". He should have known what he had at WR but certainly don't think he really knew what he had at QB.

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2018, 11:11 PM
Only excuse I will give to Moorhead is I'm not sure he was ever able to get an evaluation of Fitz in his offense until after the season started. With the injury, Fitz did no real live action in the Spring, and then still got no contact in the pre-Fall camp. Really I think we were multiple games into the season before Moorhead could really evaluate Fitz running his offense and his real time decision making. So I'm not sure its fair to say "He knew exactly what he had after the spring". He should have known what he had at WR but certainly don't think he really knew what he had at QB.

From all accounts he did plenty enough in the spring and fall camp for Moorhead to know he wasnt a great passer....everybody who watched him knew that.

He did make Fitz better and Fitz unquestionably made us a better offense after the LSU game though

thf24
12-14-2018, 08:56 AM
From all accounts he did plenty enough in the spring and fall camp for Moorhead to know he wasnt a great passer....everybody who watched him knew that.

He looked pretty good in practice, though. My guess is that Moorhead watched him sling it around in drills without the pressure of a live-game SEC defense and judged, despite Fitz not having a great history as a passer, that he could work with what he was seeing, underestimating the degree the pressure of a real game would slow Fitz down operating in the new offense.

msstate7
12-14-2018, 09:01 AM
He looked pretty good in practice, though. My guess is that Moorhead watched him sling it around in drills without the pressure of a live-game SEC defense and judged, despite Fitz not having a great history as a passer, that he could work with what he was seeing, underestimating the degree the pressure of a real game would slow Fitz down operating in the new offense.

It wasn't just fitz struggling this year. Everyone has discussed the Mitchell drop vs Florida. There was also eiland struggling big time with Allen vs Kentucky. Moorhead not helping eiland vs the sec's best defender is one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen.

dawgday166
12-14-2018, 10:02 AM
It wasn't just fitz struggling this year. Everyone has discussed the Mitchell drop vs Florida. There was also eiland struggling big time with Allen vs Kentucky. Moorhead not helping eiland vs the sec's best defender is one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen.

I'm liking what I'm seeing a good bit from Moorhead and this staff. But as in the Eiland no adjustments during KY game ... Moorhead doesn't yet appear to make in game adjustments that well and certainly not as well as Shoop does. One thing I really like about Moorhead tho is I think he will dig in and learn and improve on his flaws.

ETA: Now some on here will probably say it wasn't Moorhead in that case ... it's Dan's lack of recruiting and Fitz fault ***

Johnson85
12-14-2018, 11:06 AM

That was a huge redflag to me and still worries me. How did we not come into the game expecting we might have to help on whichever edge he was on, and even if we inexplicably thought our OTs could handle him without help, providing help against an edge rusher is not exactly rocket science. Even if we were completely caught off guard, that seems like it should be an incredibly easy and standard adjustment to make. Did he just completely freeze up in the spotlight? But surely some of our assistants pointed out he was killing us. Did Moorhead not only freeze up but also stubbornly refuse to listen to any of the assistants? Damnnit. Thinking about it has me extremely worried again.

Lord McBuckethead
12-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Or atleast put a TE on that side or throw some damn WR screens to slow that rush up a little. Seems pretty easy to me.