PDA

View Full Version : Former Colorado head coach Mike MacIntyre has agreed to be the next DC at Old Miss

Mobile Bay
12-09-2018, 06:35 PM
https://twitter.com/rivalschase/status/1071880105847373827?s=21

Such a winner /s

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Meh. That's a C hire & he'll have no players

Funny thing is: they gave him a 3 year deal at 7 figure per.

That means, after Luke is fired, they'll either be paying another DC 7 figures not to coach or the new head coach will have his DC imposed on him

Quaoarsking
12-09-2018, 06:42 PM

That means, after Luke is fired, they'll either be paying another DC 7 figures not to coach or the new head coach will have his DC imposed on him

That may mean that MacIntyre is their next head coach.

maroonmania
12-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Yep, Colorado played very little defense while MacIntyre was there.

Mobile Bay

LOL. He has had two winning seasons as a head coach in his life. I will take that.

HoopsDawg

Unless McGriff takes another job, they will be paying their DC about 2.8 milly the next 2 years.

My first impression of this hire is that it's a solid hire.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2018, 06:52 PM

I don't see them going down that road &/or hiring another interim if Luke gets whacked in the middle of next season.

I see them doing a search & hiring new blood

Coursesuper
12-09-2018, 06:57 PM
https://twitter.com/rivalschase/status/1071880105847373827?s=21

Such a winner /s

They could dig up The Bear and it wouldn't matter, they don't have the horses to play defense in this conference.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2018, 06:57 PM
No matter what happens next year I expect Luke back in 2020.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Colorado's defensive rankings during Mac's era

2013 - 108
2014 - 114
2015 - 85
2016 - 19
2017 - 110
2018 - 54

Did Lawrence Taylor & Jeffrey Simmons play for them in 2016?

How this track record in anyway solid?

Coursesuper
12-09-2018, 06:59 PM

Knowing who's calling the shots there I kinda agree, the inbreeding is strong with that crowd.

maroonmania
12-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Knowing who's calling the shots there I kinda agree, the inbreeding is strong with that crowd.

Gotta have someone who doesn't buck or try to reform 'the Network' and the way it works. That issue there finally did in Cutcliffe.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2018, 07:15 PM

2013 - 108
2014 - 114
2015 - 85
2016 - 19
2017 - 110
2018 - 54

2016 was the year Jim Leavitt was their DC. Nevermind, it's an awful hire.

BeardoMSU
12-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Guys, guys....Neal say's this is a home run hire.....so that settles it.**

Todd4State
12-09-2018, 08:00 PM

I don't see them going down that road &/or hiring another interim if Luke gets whacked in the middle of next season.

I see them doing a search & hiring new blood

I think they will keep Luke at least through the season if for no other reason because of recruiting purposes. Like they did with Houston Nutt. A class falling apart is their worst nightmare because that means no recruiting party fun.

2013 - 108
2014 - 114
2015 - 85
2016 - 19
2017 - 110
2018 - 54

I could totally see Ole Miss trying to buy LT and Jeffrey Simmons to play for them.

Gotta have someone who doesn't buck or try to reform 'the Network' and the way it works. That issue there finally did in Cutcliffe.

The ironic thing about all of this is Luke and McIntyre were both on Cutcliffe's staff back in the day. And the rumor is that Luke wants to go back to a run first offense. McIntyre went away from the spread when he was at San Jose State FWIW.

Todd4State
12-09-2018, 08:04 PM

We're definitely about to find out how good Luke's family is in with the heads of the Network. I say it depends on how the Egg Bowl goes next year. They won't stand for us blowing them out of the water for long. This is where probation hurts them- they can't afford to go all out with repeat violator status hanging over the their heads.

Guys, guys....Neal say's this is a home run hire.....so that settles it.**

Not a fan.** It's a home run in that it gives them someone who can be an interim if and when they fire Luke.

Todd4State
12-09-2018, 09:03 PM
I just looked at some Colorado highlight videos.

I think this is not a home run hire at all. Assuming that Ole Miss runs what Colorado ran- they're going to be a 3-4 team. That means that they are going to have to convert one of their DE's into an OLB or rely more on the weakest part of their defense- their LB's while at the same time taking away from the strength of their defense which is their d-line. I'm assuming that Benito Jones returns. If he does he is probably going to assume the NT position which means that they have put him in a spot where their best player on defense will almost automatically be double teamed every play.

And while most 3-4 DC's tend to blitz often it appears as if McIntyre runs a lot more zone out of it. Of course Ole Miss blitzed on just about every play last year so they were almost likely to blitz less by default.

If Ole Miss improves on defense it will likely be because they were so bad last year that they hit rock bottom and had nowhere to go but up. We'll see if that happens but I would be worried if I was an Ole Miss fan.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2018, 09:18 PM
2016 was the year Jim Leavitt was their DC. Nevermind, it's an awful hire.

Makes sense now. lol

Ari Gold
12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
It’s a Safe hire.
You have a guy that is an ex HC that will help Luke and a safety net if Luke is fired and someone that will be in place to take over either on a part time or full time basis .
Shit let’s face it they could have hired Tyrone Nix and it would have been an upgrade from a Crime dog
The roster is still not very good on that side of the ball but I expect they will be better
But of course Mac has OM ties ..and they just can’t seem to get away from that. I wonder why

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-10-2018, 10:30 AM
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/10/mike-macintyre-colorado-joe-tumpkin-domestic-abuse

Jack Lambert
12-10-2018, 10:38 AM
It’s a Safe hire.
You have a guy that is an ex HC that will help Luke and a safety net if Luke is fired and someone that will be in place to take over either on a part time or full time basis .
Shit let’s face it they could have hired Tyrone Nix and it would have been an upgrade from a Crime dog
The roster is still not very good on that side of the ball but I expect they will be better
But of course Mac has OM ties ..and they just can’t seem to get away from that. I wonder why

Luke is gone in two so any hire would be a safe hire.

BeardoMSU
12-10-2018, 10:40 AM
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/10/mike-macintyre-colorado-joe-tumpkin-domestic-abuse

"Not a good look" would be an understatement...

After hearing about the alleged abuse on Dec. 9, 2016, during an emotional, 34-minute phone conversation with the alleged victim, MacIntyre responded by informing his athletic director, Rick George, of the allegation; by blocking the alleged victim’s number from his phone; by sharing the allegation with the alleged abuser, safeties coach Joe Tumpkin; and by giving Tumpkin the phone number for the football program’s go-to defense attorney.

Liverpooldawg
12-10-2018, 10:41 AM
It’s a Safe hire.

It may be a safe football hire, but it appears there may be other issues. Interesting....and revealing.

Pollodawg
12-10-2018, 10:42 AM
So, now they have a guy who ignored domestic abuse on staff and a player whose entire senior season actually canceled over hazing (sexual assault), but they?re morally indignant over Simmons and Leo. GTFO.

Commercecomet24
12-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Makes sense now. lol

Yeah Leavitt a great DC, Mcintyre not so much. Colorado not been impressive at all under Mcintyre.

Ari Gold
12-10-2018, 05:01 PM
It may be a safe football hire, but it appears there may be other issues. Interesting....and revealing.

Agree but OM doesn’t give a shit about that.. with all that goes on there. No telling what all Freeze covered up in his 5 years reign ..

TrapGame
12-10-2018, 05:22 PM
I don't see Luke surviving next year. MacIntyre might make a play for HC and I'm sure he'll play along with the Network but I'm not sure he could coach his way out of a wet paper sack with 4* and 5* talent.

Coursesuper
12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Agree but OM doesn’t give a shit about that.. with all that goes on there. No telling what all Freeze covered up in his 5 years reign ..

Exactly! When y'all can get your heads around how the very small group in change operates things will seem much clearer for you. You need to understand that from the chancellor on down, they answer to these men. And those that are in control couldn't care less about a football coaches transgressions. Winning at any cost as fast as you can is all,that matters.

LC Dawg
12-11-2018, 08:56 AM
I think it's hilarious that Ole Miss is having to overpay as much as they are to get someone to coach their defense. Last year with a position coach and this year with damaged goods. If MacIntyre leaves after next year and Luke stays some Mississippi high school coach will be making 2.1 million to coach Ole Miss's defense.

timotheus
12-11-2018, 09:29 AM
the problem is, that some of us know a few high school coaches who could improve that sorry D