PDA

View Full Version : I was just asked about the Ole Piss games

Howboutdemdogs
12-08-2018, 11:13 PM
How long are we going to keep playing on Thanksgiving? To be honest, we are getting tired of it. I get the exposer deal, but it isn?t advertised like the NFL games. Not everyone in the extended family goes to games like us. We were asked if we would miss the game and have a huge Thanksgiving dinner. At this point, I could not give an answer. Does anyone know how long this will last? How does everyone feel about playing on Thanksgiving?

FriarsPoint
12-08-2018, 11:17 PM
1) I think the contract runs out in the next year or two
2) It sucks. From the 70s through the 90s, the game was played on Saturday. I don’t remember a Thanksgiving egg bowl in my lifetime until 99.

Cooterpoot
12-08-2018, 11:17 PM
I hate it and we are competing with the NFL. It’s pointless.

TUSK
12-09-2018, 12:50 AM
I hate it and we are competing with the NFL. It’s pointless.

Yep, terrible ratings...

Liverpooldawg
12-09-2018, 12:57 AM
I'd prefer it on Saturday if I was going. Now watching it on TV, Thanksgiving is awesome.

Skydawg1
12-09-2018, 01:20 AM
I'm getting tired of Thanksgiving in general.

Dawgpile
12-09-2018, 01:20 AM
I'd prefer it on Saturday if I was going. Now watching it on TV, Thanksgiving is awesome.

This... For those of us who work retail.

Bothrops
12-09-2018, 01:53 AM
If it's on Saturday, it competes with half a dozen other rivalry games and probably gets less exposure. The only plus is that it helps game attendance

bulldawg28
12-09-2018, 06:25 AM
We should make it the Friday after Thanksgiving.

msudawg1200
12-09-2018, 07:26 AM
1) I think the contract runs out in the next year or two
2) It sucks. From the 70s through the 90s, the game was played on Saturday. I don’t remember a Thanksgiving egg bowl in my lifetime until 99.

Egg was played on Thanksgiving from 1998-2003 then again in 2013, and now the last two years.

msbulldog
12-09-2018, 07:39 AM
It's not on Thanksgiving next year.

redstickdawg
12-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Thanksgiving is best with family and not spent on the inevitable hatred for all thins ole miss. Move it to Friday or Saturday!

DownwardDawg
12-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Thanksgiving is best with family and not spent on the inevitable hatred for all thins ole miss. Move it to Friday or Saturday!

I agree. I can’t enjoy my thanksgiving because of my hatred that day. Sad but true.

Hambone
12-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Yes it is. It’s on Thursday, November 28th

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2018, 08:34 AM

This

gravedigger
12-09-2018, 08:54 AM
How long are we going to keep playing on Thanksgiving? To be honest, we are getting tired of it. I get the exposer deal, but it isn?t advertised like the NFL games. Not everyone in the extended family goes to games like us. We were asked if we would miss the game and have a huge Thanksgiving dinner. At this point, I could not give an answer. Does anyone know how long this will last? How does everyone feel about playing on Thanksgiving?

It needs to stop being on Thanksgiving Day. Yet another stupid decision made by Stricklin. Convenient for a few. Terrible for people gong to the game or having to work at it.

msudawg1200
12-09-2018, 09:01 AM

It was in 07 for the 4th and inches game, and the 08 45-0 Croom debacle. It would be good if it was on CBS at 1:30 on Black Friday, instead of that Arkansas vs Missouri Battle Line crap.

wmccgc
12-09-2018, 09:21 AM
When the game is played on Thanksgiving it keeps Dan from sending the players home to celebrate with their families.*

Pollodawg
12-09-2018, 11:18 AM
It makes it difficult to attend honestly. It?s either blow off family and make the drive to wherever the game is that year, or just watch the game at home and look at big empty sections of the stands as more fans are doing the same.

LC Dawg
12-09-2018, 11:49 AM
I like the game on Thanksgiving. We have a big Thanksgiving spread at our tailgate for home games and when the game is in Oxford it gives me four days off in a row that I can enjoy and get some rest.
I know it's a problem for a lot of fans and the administration needs to take that into consideration before agreeing to it again.

Todd4State
12-09-2018, 04:06 PM
I don't like it either. I think it has hurt the Egg Bowl attendance the past two years as well. I know Ole Miss being bad hurt it this year as well but in 2017 when we were good it seemed like the stadium was about 85-90% full when had it been on Saturday I think it would have been more like 95%-100% full even. I don't think it's good for recruiting because you have the playoffs on Friday the next day.

And in this case I don't like the fact that our team has four days to prepare for the biggest game in the state of Mississippi. Really three since I assume Weds is probably either off or very light. Plus if you look at next year we have to play Abeline Christian before the game while Ole Miss has a bye week. What the hell is that SEC? Do the same for both- either give both a long break or both have a FCS team. If I'm Cohen I'd raise hell with the SEC office, buyout the Abeline Christian game and schedule Jackson State the week before ULL next year. In that order.

The exposure thing is very hollow now that the NFL plays at night on Thanksgiving.

Todd4State
12-09-2018, 04:07 PM
It was in 07 for the 4th and inches game, and the 08 45-0 Croom debacle. It would be good if it was on CBS at 1:30 on Black Friday, instead of that Arkansas vs Missouri Battle Line crap.

Friday wouldn't be my first choice either but I'd prefer it over Thanksgiving.

IMissJack
12-09-2018, 04:28 PM
I don't like the games on Thanksgiving. I think that those that have to drive over a couple of hours it is really difficult, if you want to see family any.
I am glad that the games have been back on campus, but I have to admit that the way the old games were in Jackson where the stadiums were 50/50 was fun too.

RocketDawg
12-09-2018, 05:42 PM
The consensus is dislike for a Thanksgiving Day game. I've had that opinion every time we've done it, and have never been to a game on Thanksgiving Day.

Quaoarsking
12-09-2018, 05:51 PM
I'm a big fan of a Thanksgiving Egg Bowl. There are 364 other days in the year you can see your family if you want to, not to mention having the family get together for lunch if you live within a few hours of Starkville.

RocketDawg
12-09-2018, 05:52 PM
I'm a big fan of a Thanksgiving Egg Bowl. There are 364 other days in the year you can see your family if you want to, not to mention having the family get together for lunch if you live within a few hours of Starkville.

In that case, why don't we have it on Christmas Day?

Jack Lambert
12-09-2018, 05:58 PM
I think it should be played first game of the year. Get it over with.

Quaoarsking
12-09-2018, 06:23 PM
In that case, why don't we have it on Christmas Day?

Because that's during bowl season? If the regular season were still going on then, I'd be fine with it.

MedDawg
12-09-2018, 06:33 PM
I think it should be played first game of the year. Get it over with. Agree

Todd4State
12-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Here's the problem with the Thanksgiving Day football games that no one talks about. No one other than Scott Stricklin when he was at MSU and Texas A&M want to play on Thanksgiving. I do think that the Texas/Texas A&M game will be back at some point in the next 5-10 years because there appears to be mutual interest. BUT the problem is that game probably won't be on Thanksgiving and will probably be played earlier in the year. The SEC wanted A&M and LSU on Thanksgiving but LSU was strongly against it. From what I understand Ole Miss isn't wild about playing on Thanksgiving either and probably only agreed to do so because they knew a bowl ban was coming.

So, I'm afraid that we're stuck with it. What ended it last time was us getting blown out by Ole Miss enough that it wasn't interesting for TV anymore. Hopefully turnabout will be fairplay this time.

I think the SEC should do one of several things:

1. Play no games on Thanksgiving.

2. Have Texas/Texas A&M on Thanksgiving when that series is renewed.

3. Rotate Thanksgiving between all rivalry games. Egg Bowl, Iron Bowl, UT/Vandy, Sunshine Showdown, Clean old fashioned Hate, LSU/A&M, UK/Louisville, Arkansas/Mizzou, and Palmetto Bowl. By my count that means everyone plays on Thanksgiving about once a decade or slightly more. I could live with that better than I could playing on Thanksgiving every year.

TUSK
12-09-2018, 10:06 PM
Here's the problem with the Thanksgiving Day football games that no one talks about. No one other than Scott Stricklin when he was at MSU and Texas A&M want to play on Thanksgiving. I do think that the Texas/Texas A&M game will be back at some point in the next 5-10 years because there appears to be mutual interest. BUT the problem is that game probably won't be on Thanksgiving and will probably be played earlier in the year. The SEC wanted A&M and LSU on Thanksgiving but LSU was strongly against it. From what I understand Ole Miss isn't wild about playing on Thanksgiving either and probably only agreed to do so because they knew a bowl ban was coming.

So, I'm afraid that we're stuck with it. What ended it last time was us getting blown out by Ole Miss enough that it wasn't interesting for TV anymore. Hopefully turnabout will be fairplay this time.

I think the SEC should do one of several things:

1. Play no games on Thanksgiving.

2. Have Texas/Texas A&M on Thanksgiving when that series is renewed.

3. Rotate Thanksgiving between all rivalry games. Egg Bowl, Iron Bowl, UT/Vandy, Sunshine Showdown, Clean old fashioned Hate, LSU/A&M, UK/Louisville, Arkansas/Mizzou, and Palmetto Bowl. By my count that means everyone plays on Thanksgiving about once a decade or slightly more. I could live with that better than I could playing on Thanksgiving every year.

Why not just play the Egg Bowl the weekend prior (to rivalry weekend)? It would be a win 3x, imo....

Todd4State
12-09-2018, 11:23 PM
Why not just play the Egg Bowl the weekend prior (to rivalry weekend)? It would be a win 3x, imo....

I would be fine with that as long as it not at the expense of a bye week during the regular season. So, I'm not sure that would work or not.

Pit Bull
12-09-2018, 11:51 PM

Would rather play on Friday after Thanksgiving.

sleepy dawg
12-10-2018, 10:18 AM
I love it on Thanksgiving. I hate Thanksgiving and but having the game on that day makes it okay again. For those of us that hate Thanksgiving, it's a great excuse to skip it, or at least bolt early. When it's at home, I'm going to the game and when it's away I have a reason to not spend my entire Thursday with family. Plus, when we win, I feel like the next few days off work are even that much more enjoyable... pure workless bliss for the 3 days following.

I wish the Thanksgiving day game would be made permanent.

Maroonthirteen
12-10-2018, 01:13 PM
I love it on Thanksgiving. I hate Thanksgiving and but having the game on that day makes it okay again. For those of us that hate Thanksgiving, it's a great excuse to skip it, or at least bolt early. When it's at home, I'm going to the game and when it's away I have a reason to not spend my entire Thursday with family. Plus, when we win, I feel like the next few days off work are even that much more enjoyable... pure workless bliss for the 3 days following.

I hate the game on Thanksgiving. It?s is a day to catch up with extended family and be thankful for our blessings .... and I have no family.

Not to lecture but be glad you have family to enjoy thanksgiving day. They?ll all be dead or moved off one day.

Political Hack
12-10-2018, 06:10 PM
I was thankful that I got to hate Ole Miss this Thanksgiving, but I can hate them on a Saturday just the same.

msbulldog
12-10-2018, 07:46 PM

Damn Sleepy, Miss Bitchalot is appropriate.

msbulldog
12-10-2018, 07:53 PM
I hate the game on Thanksgiving. It?s is a day to catch up with extended family and be thankful for our blessings .... and I have no family.

Not to lecture but be glad you have family to enjoy thanksgiving day. They?ll all be dead or moved off one day.

My friend, you have your Bulldog family, we love you!

sleepy dawg
12-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Damn Sleepy, Miss Bitchalot is appropriate.

Dang, I thought my post was positive...

fader2103
12-11-2018, 10:49 AM
I like it on Thanksgiving. I get done eating at 12:30ish, and then usually head up to Starkville, or go home and watch it on the couch if its in Oxford

msu15
12-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Love it and go to it every year home or away. When I first became a fan it was on Thanksgiving and it brings great exposure and makes it even more special for me. I like it on Thanksgiving.

Tbonewannabe
12-11-2018, 12:04 PM
This... For those of us who work retail.

My wife likes it on Thanksgiving because it gives her a chance to go. She works in retail and after Thanksgiving is a blackout dates for all Fridays - Sundays until after Christmas.