PDA

View Full Version : Bama vs an nfl team

msstate7
12-08-2018, 12:33 AM
We've had these crazy threads almost every year, and every year someone always thinks bama could play with an nfl team. Well a real Westgate handicapper released a line for bama vs all nfl teams. Here's a few notable ones...

Buffalo -28.5 (closest)
Cowboys -41.5 (major revenge for dak haha)
Eagles -44.5
Steelers -47.5
Chiefs, saints, patriots -49.5 (highest)

"One stipulation from Sherman: The spreads below 'aren?t pure power-rating differences between NFL teams. We felt there would be some let-up at some point in the second half.' "

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/alabama-spread-against-every-nfl-team-hypothetical-odds

Anyway, I found this interesting coming from an actual handicapper. Hopefully those that actually believe bama can play with an nfl team will rethink this dumb stance and abstain from posting it on my Facebook feed haha

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2018, 12:50 AM
Every player on an NFL roster, even the worst NFL team, has MADE an NFL roster. All of the players on Bama's roster haven't yet, and most never will.

Sienfield
12-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Every player on an NFL roster, even the worst NFL team, has MADE an NFL roster. All of the players on Bama's roster haven't yet, and most never will.

And there's an awful lot of those NFL players that lost to Bama when they were in college.

bulldawg28
12-08-2018, 08:52 AM
And there's an awful lot of those NFL players that lost to Bama when they were in college.

Lies- most players do not even make the NFL.

Sienfield
12-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Lies- most players do not even make the NFL.

I'm referring to those that are in the NFL. A lot of those are from the SEC and played Bama while in college or played for Bama while in college.

msstate7
12-08-2018, 09:13 AM
It isn't just the talent deficit they'd face, it's also the scheme difference. Olinemen would see exotic blitz packages they've never seen. Tua would stand no chance... college WRs trying to get open against nfl pass defenses while under constant pressure. Bama's defense struggled with Georgia... what you think they gonna do vs an nfl offense? Absolute massacre

Nick Saban couldn't scheme against nfl teams with nfl talent... what in the world makes people think he could scheme against pro teams with college talent?

ETA... now credit where credit is due, saban is the best college coach ever.

TUSK
12-08-2018, 09:14 AM
As stated above, and as I've stated before: NFL teams have (I think) 53 NFL players. Bammer has maybe 35-40...

Now, if you assembled a team of former and current Bammers, I think you might have an average/below average NFL team.

I'll add that there are several NFL players that weren't good/consistent enough to get on the field (at Bammer) before they went pro...

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2018, 09:18 AM

Actually, most of Bama's defense, in fact, most every single player on it will play in the NFL. Look at their past defenses. They've had recent years where all 22 starters are in the NFL.

The real reason Bama would get blown out isn't talent but rather strength, football IQ, complexity of NFL schemes, and maturity.

Point is, if you took this Bama team and projected 5-7 years in the future, they'd likely compete with an NFL team fairly well.

dawgoneyall
12-08-2018, 09:21 AM
We've had these crazy threads almost every year, and every year someone always thinks bama could play with an nfl team. Well a real Westgate handicapper released a line for bama vs all nfl teams. Here's a few notable ones...

Buffalo -28.5 (closest)
Eagles -44.5
Steelers -47.5

"One stipulation from Sherman: The spreads below 'aren?t pure power-rating differences between NFL teams. We felt there would be some let-up at some point in the second half.' "

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/alabama-spread-against-every-nfl-team-hypothetical-odds

Anyway, I found this interesting coming from an actual handicapper. Hopefully those that actually believe bama can play with an nfl team will rethink this dumb stance and abstain from posting it on my Facebook feed haha

We haven't as yet found out if they could go undefeated without the officials help.

Maybe?

But we just don't know.

Hopefully we can find out next year.....doubt it.

TUSK
12-08-2018, 09:58 AM
We haven't as yet found out if they could go undefeated without the officials help.

Maybe?

But we just don't know.

Hopefully we can find out next year.....doubt it.

I doubt it as well... There were way too many nail biters this year to take that chance......

boot
12-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Yeah I feel like the Raiders would win by 30 or 40 and they are 2-10 right now.

dawgday166
12-08-2018, 10:43 AM
As stated above, and as I've stated before: NFL teams have (I think) 53 NFL players. Bammer has maybe 35-40...

Now, if you assembled a team of former and current Bammers, I think you might have an average/below average NFL team.

I'll add that there are several NFL players that weren't good/consistent enough to get on the field (at Bammer) before they went pro...

LOL ... you gotta tone down those Crimson glasses some *** They have about 44 or so right now and that's from all their previous teams. The number off this team is probably closer to 20 .. and I'm not sure that isn't too high.

Interesting that our top 3 are considered among the elite at their positions - KJ Wright, Fletcher Cox, and Darius Slay. Bama doesn't have anyone considered that elite I don't believe.

msstate7
12-08-2018, 10:46 AM
LOL ... you gotta tone down those Crimson glasses some *** They have about 44 or so right now and that's from all their previous teams. The number off this team is probably closer to 20 .. and I'm not sure that isn't too high.

Interesting that our top 3 are considered among the elite at their positions - KJ Wright, Fletcher Cox, and Darius Slay. Bama doesn't have anyone considered that elite I don't believe.

Julio Jones

dawgday166
12-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Julio Jones

That's right ... brain fart. I looked at their top ten and was gonna list him on a par with ours but was thinking D only when I posted.

Landon Collins may be going there too. Ridley may get there eventually.

TUSK
12-08-2018, 11:23 AM

uuuuuh, eh kay.

TimberBeast
12-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Buffalo -28.5 (closest)
Eagles -44.5
Steelers -47.5

I don’t think you would find a single person on this board or really anywhere else that actually thinks bama could hang with an nfl team. When something like that is said, it’s always in jest.

mparkerfd20
12-08-2018, 12:32 PM
I disagree mightily with this handicapper. I'm not saying they'd win but Alabama is much better than a 4 TD dog to several NFL teams. Several!

TimberBeast
12-08-2018, 12:33 PM
I disagree mightily with this handicapper. I'm not saying they'd win but Alabama is much better than a 4 TD dog to several NFL teams. Several!

Ok well damn, nevermind my last post.

mparkerfd20
12-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Ok well damn, nevermind my last post.

Yep

ckDOG
12-08-2018, 01:09 PM
If we assumed that the 53 man roster version on bama were all draftable, they are just that...draftable. Being drafted does not mean you step in Day 1 and contribute. Still have to learn the system and get adjusted to playing again men every day. The worst nfl team in modern history would smoke Bama as long as they didn't bring SEC refs with them.

msstate7
12-08-2018, 01:12 PM
The only sport I'd give a college team a chance a get a pro team is baseball. The only reason I think this is a pitcher is a great equalizer. If you have a truly special pitcher, a college team would have a chance.

dawgday166
12-08-2018, 01:56 PM

This team this year?? Maybe the 2011 team would be better than a 4 TD dog and only because of the D. This team this year would get smoked by any NFL team. They should've lost by 3 TDs to Ga.

dawgday166
12-08-2018, 01:58 PM
If we assumed that the 53 man roster version on bama were all draftable, they are just that...draftable. Being drafted does not mean you step in Day 1 and contribute. Still have to learn the system and get adjusted to playing again men every day. The worst nfl team in modern history would smoke Bama as long as they didn't bring SEC refs with them.

The great equalizer ... like Ga this year and last.

TimberBeast
12-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Any nfl team could name their score against any college team, it wouldn’t even be close to being close.

TUSK
12-08-2018, 02:48 PM
The great equalizer ... like Ga this year and last.

Sorry about the fake punt, buddy.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2018, 04:47 PM
The only sport I'd give a college team a chance a get a pro team is baseball. The only reason I think this is a pitcher is a great equalizer. If you have a truly special pitcher, a college team would have a chance.

I'd also say some special women's basketball teams (like the year UConn had the top 3 picks in the WNBA draft) would able to beat some WNBA teams, though not always or regularly.

Reasons for this include the talent being packed into the top college women's teams, the fact that basically no one leaves early for the WNBA draft, even when they're obviously ready, and that some elite women's players play exclusively overseas instead of in the WNBA.