PDA

View Full Version : Remember Pearl Harbor....

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2018, 05:21 PM
I just saw where for the first time ever there was no Arizona survivor at the memorial service at Pearl Harbor today. There are only 5 left, and none are healthy enough to attend. Don't forget them.

BulldogBear
12-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Bump

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2018, 06:35 PM
My Uncle Jack was at Pearl. He was a SeaBee. Survived the attack and was part of the crew to rebuild Pearl and also refloat some of the ships that could be salvaged. Said the most horrific thing was having to dive into the ships to do repair and finding bodies. Later in the war he got stranded on an island in the Pacific and spent almost 2 years living in caves and hiding from the Japanese.

This a day I always try to remember my granddaddy and his brothers who all served:
Stanley - Army (my granddaddy)
Jack - Navy
Dickie - Navy
Doug - Army
Ed - Army
WC - Tank Commander, North Africa
Herbert - RAF (too old for Air Corps, went to Canada and lied about his age).

They were incredible guys.

parabrave
12-07-2018, 06:39 PM
TCM showing 30 seconds Over Tokyo right now. Hopefully they will have Tora Tora Tora on later,

Maroonbulldog
12-07-2018, 06:51 PM
My PePaw Gail Haffner was also at Pearl as a corpsman on the USS Tangier. One of my prized possessions is his med kit. Being at Pearl during the attack engulfed his life. He lived and breathed being a PHSurvivor. Unfortunately- my grandmother got rid of all of his memorabilia after he passed bc she was sick of it. She loved him but couldn?t take the PHSA stuff any more. Hard to judge him though- no telling what horrors he saw- much like your Uncle

My Uncle Jack was at Pearl. He was a SeaBee. Survived the attack and was part of the crew to rebuild Pearl and also refloat some of the ships that could be salvaged. Said the most horrific thing was having to dive into the ships to do repair and finding bodies. Later in the war he got stranded on an island in the Pacific and spent almost 2 years living in caves and hiding from the Japanese.

This a day I always try to remember my granddaddy and his brothers who all served:
Jack - Navy
Dickie - Navy
Doug - Army
Ed - Army

msbulldog
12-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Jack - Navy
Dickie - Navy
Doug - Army
Ed - Army

The Greatest Generation, Thanks to your family!

Mjoelner34
12-07-2018, 07:07 PM
I didn't have any relatives at Pearl Harbor but I remember a guy from my home town that was there on the USS Curtiss. My dad told me that he had been reported dead but about 3 weeks after Pearl Harbor, my grandmother got a phone call and it was him. I don't know why he called my grandmother except maybe since I'm from a small hick town in south Mississippi, maybe there weren't that many phones and since she was a teacher, maybe he called the school. Anyway, my grandmother is the one that got to tell his mother that he was still alive.

I just looked at the grave registry back home. He passed away in 2014.

Cooterpoot
12-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Damn Germans!

Jack Lambert
12-07-2018, 09:08 PM
I had a Great Uncle who was the Arizona but got arrested the night before and was in jail when his shop went down. He finished the war but never was able to forgive himself. Died a old man and a drunk. His older brother was on the Oklahoma and had 3rd degree burns. He was sent home.

Katdoc12
12-07-2018, 09:23 PM
My grandfather was on the West Virginia, got off the ship & swam to shore with 1 penny in his pocket that I now have, but I never met him. A friend in Sarasota sent pictures of a ceremony for the 1 Pearl Harbor survivor they have there, didnt say where he was during the bombing though, hard to see that generation die out.

starkvegasdawg
12-07-2018, 10:20 PM
My granddad wasn't at Pearl but was in WWII. He was a radio and Morse operator stationed in Algiers. After we nuked Japan he happened to be the one on duty when we sent Japan the order and terms to surrender. He was the one that sent the message to Hirohito to surrender. I wonder how big the smile was on his face when he sent that message. He died this year at 97 as a full civilian life of a Baptist minister and math professor at Wood Junior College.

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2018, 12:53 AM

Jack - Navy
Dickie - Navy
Doug - Army
Ed - Army

Awesome.

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2018, 12:56 AM
I had a Great Uncle who was the Arizona but got arrested the night before and was in jail when his shop went down. He finished the war but never was able to forgive himself. Died a old man and a drunk. His older brother was on the Oklahoma and had 3rd degree burns. He was sent home.
Sobering story Jack. He had nothing to be ashamed of, but in the context of the times....I pity him. I also honor him.

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2018, 01:01 AM
My grandfather was on the West Virginia, got off the ship & swam to shore with 1 penny in his pocket that I now have, but I never met him. A friend in Sarasota sent pictures of a ceremony for the 1 Pearl Harbor survivor they have there, didnt say where he was during the bombing though, hard to see that generation die out.

I don't know where you live, but that penny belongs in a museum when you pass on. I wouldn't give it up till I died either. But by all means donate it in your will to the closest museum to where your grandfather lived. It's a national treasure.