PDA

View Full Version : Girls Needed That

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Good win by the girls. They needed a game like that to give them a measuring stick

Marquette looks like a team we could see in the Sweet 16 or Elite. Damn good guard play. Quicker than heck with some shooting ability.

99jc
12-06-2018, 10:16 PM
They r good and played outta of their minds and we still won. Vic refuses to let us lose.

BiscuitEater
12-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Vic and MSU should thank the twin towers! That win was on them!

TimberBeast
12-06-2018, 10:27 PM
They r good and played outta of their minds and we still won. Vic refuses to let us lose.

They did need a good test and you are right they definitely played out of their minds. Lots of junk shots falling in, that happens.

Dawg2003
12-06-2018, 10:33 PM
Our defense left a lot to be desired, but Marquette also got crazy hot from 3 point range. They stuck together to grind out a win though, and that is what really good teams have to be able to do. You have to find different ways to win.

Lord McBuckethead
12-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Our big never helped on defense. Our gaurds were getting beat off the screen all night and I only saw Tiera slide over to impose her will on one play. She didn't even have to get physical, just get in the vicinity of a block and she would have cut out probably 25% of their layups. Just refused to step in the mix.

Really trying not to be negative on Tiera, but the defense is funnelling them to you, atleast put your hand up. Great work on offense though. Worked hard for boards and made free throws.

Also, we had a terrible time getting space for Bibby to shoot. Surely we can draw up a few plays to get her a kickout here and there.

tcdog70
12-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Maybe a little zone would have slowed their guards down

KOdawg1
12-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Our big never helped on defense. Our gaurds were getting beat off the screen all night and I only saw Tiera slide over to impose her will on one play. She didn't even have to get physical, just get in the vicinity of a block and she would have cut out probably 25% of their layups. Just refused to step in the mix.

Really trying not to be negative on Tiera, but the defense is funnelling them to you, atleast put your hand up. Great work on offense though. Worked hard for boards and made free throws.

Also, we had a terrible time getting space for Bibby to shoot. Surely we can draw up a few plays to get her a kickout here and there.

Speaking of Bibby, where was she the last few minutes of the game? Obviously she hit the shot at the very end, but she was on the bench the whole 4th quarter and only had one foul.

TimberBeast
12-06-2018, 11:21 PM
Speaking of Bibby, where was she the last few minutes of the game? Obviously she hit the shot at the very end, but she was on the bench the whole 4th quarter and only had one foul.

I was wondering the same thing, only thing I could think of is she couldn’t get back down on defense fast enough.

Dawg2003
12-06-2018, 11:26 PM
Just an FYI, Marquette took Notre Dame and TN to OT last year and has the same starting 5 back this year.

MarketingBully
12-06-2018, 11:46 PM
Looks like a big crowd there to. Wish we could get that kind of crowd at the McNeese State game. That type of atmosphere better be there against Cincy.

Ezsoil
12-07-2018, 12:07 AM
It was a great game plan by the Marquette coach ..they were primarily a three point shooting team but because VIc refuses to play a zone, they made a concerted effort to draw T away from the basket and use the dribble drive to get layups. They shot 60% from the field for three quarters so that negated the MSU rebounding advantage.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2018, 12:10 AM
It was a great game plan by the Marquette coach ..they were primarily a three point shooting team but because VIc refuses to play a zone, they made a concerted effort to draw T away from the basket and use the dribble drive to get layups. They shot 60% from the field for three quarters so that negated the MSU rebounding advantage.

You zone that team tonight and you get beat, bad.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2018, 12:12 AM
That was a great game and one we needed. They hadn't really been challenged so far. Winning one like that against a very good team does wonders for a team.

Lord McBuckethead
12-07-2018, 01:36 AM

Well, I would be fine if they just had a camera following her around all game. I am almost always for Bibby getting minutes. I have a bit of a crush on that girl.

I am sure Coach was looking to get a little bit more quick twitch speed on the court. Someone that has a bit faster defensive talent.

mstatefan91
12-07-2018, 02:17 AM
Tierra didn?t have a true big to guard tonight. They were drawing her out and then cutting to the basket to get lay ups and 10 foot shots. They weren?t missing many. It was a great game plan by Marquette and nearly got them a win.

WinningIsRelentless
12-07-2018, 09:01 AM
They were basically playing 4 guards and that?s going to give us fits throughout the year. Holmes and Dansberry struggle to score, but they have to play together when you have 4 guards on the floor.

Scared_Hitless
12-07-2018, 10:11 AM
I agree, very good early test. We now know what our issues are after Lamar and now Marquette we see we can get overwhelmed with great guard play. Gotta rein in the defense and keep improving. Luckily no one in the SEC looks any good so lot of time to figure this out.

Irondawg
12-07-2018, 10:23 AM
We'll make some adjustments because we're going to see a ton of that now and T has to be aware to not get in foul trouble which is why I think you saw her more passive. The flip side is when teams do that, they can't guard us, even if they go zone. Howard and T will feast inside and we'll score. Makes the other team be super efficient to keep up.

I think we'll make some adjustments to how we deal with the screens and such though.

Ari Gold
12-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Best job Vic did was getting Howard.
She is a difference maker and makes this team another contender

BeardoMSU
12-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Best job Vic did was getting Howard.
She is a difference maker and makes this team another contender

Definitely. Her motor is crazy. How she fights for boards is awesome to watch.

LC Dawg
12-07-2018, 10:45 AM
They did give us fits with all their guards but it also allowed Howard and McCowan to combine for 53 points and 30 rebounds. Danberry didn't have a good game but she got 13. Jazz only had 8 points but she had 13 assists vs 1 turnover, that's phenomenal.
If Bibby had hit the shots she's been hitting it would have helped. I was surprised Bibby played as much as she did with her shot not falling because she was not quick enough on defense.

tcdog70
12-07-2018, 12:13 PM
They did give us fits with all their guards but it also allowed Howard and McCowan to combine for 53 points and 30 rebounds. Danberry didn't have a good game but she got 13. Jazz only had 8 points but she had 13 assists vs 1 turnover, that's phenomenal.
If Bibby had hit the shots she's been hitting it would have helped. I was surprised Bibby played as much as she did with her shot not falling because she was not quick enough on defense.

what--Bibby plays great D-- that is one reason she plays. Our guards were the ones getting beat and Big T was slow playing help defense. We should have at least tried a little zone.

dawgday166
12-07-2018, 12:37 PM
what--Bibby plays great D-- that is one reason she plays. Our guards were the ones getting beat and Big T was slow playing help defense. We should have at least tried a little zone.

Bibby was getting beat off the dribble a lot last night. Everyone was really. It seemed almost like they had dead legs for some reason.

LC Dawg
12-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Bibby was getting beat last night, as were others. I'm not trying to bash her I was just saying I was surprised she played as much as she did because her shot wasn't falling and she was getting beat. I think it actually tells something about Vic's lack of confidence in some of his young guards.

tcdog70
12-07-2018, 11:27 PM
Who did Vic put in at the end to guard the shooter? Bibby and she blocked the shot. Although I'm glad she didn't foul a 3 point shooter.

tcdog70
12-07-2018, 11:30 PM
I just don't understand why when the other team is playing a 5 guard lineup and we are getting beat off the dribble would you not play some zone just to see if it slows them down.