12-06-2018, 09:22 PM
Ken Whisenhut not an option anymore?

Really Clark?
12-06-2018, 09:38 PM
Ken Whisenhut not an option anymore?

He removed his name from contention

msstate7
12-06-2018, 09:44 PM
I like Collins, and I like GT. Hopefully Collins gets this job. If I'm Collins though, I want at least a 3 year commitment. Going from option to the offense Collins was running at temple will take a while

viverlibre
12-06-2018, 09:49 PM
Freeze is a better on field coach than most, outside of the top tier of coaches (no doubt he is not good at running the off field portion of the program). I'm assuming his character and NCAA issues are keeping him from being considered for any of the current openings? He'd been a homerun hire at TT.

We should all fear Jay Hopson moving on and Freezus being the HC at USM.

BuckyIsAB****
12-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Freeze is a better on field coach than most, outside of the top tier of coaches (no doubt he is not good at running the off field portion of the program). I'm assuming his character and NCAA issues are keeping him from being considered for any of the current openings? He'd been a homerun hire at TT.

No school in MS will ever hire him again

Ifyouonlyknew
12-06-2018, 10:07 PM

Why?

Cooterpoot
12-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Collins will get killed at Ga Tech.

LC Dawg
12-06-2018, 10:08 PM
GT owes Collins. He gave them a win in 2014.

Dawg61
12-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Hi Bo Wallace. Freeze sucks.

DownwardDawg
12-06-2018, 11:39 PM

Lmao!!!!!!!

fader2103
12-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Geoff Collins to be the new coach at GT

msu15
12-07-2018, 10:31 AM

What year were you born in?

DownwardDawg
12-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Mississippi Southern will never be relevant in football again. Ever. That ship has sailed. Firing Jeff Bower was the beginning of the death spiral. Then they got left behind during all the conference realignment stuff. Zero fan support and zero support from local businesses.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Huh???

I guess hiring Freeze would immediately jump USM to a non-crackerjack conference, and they'd start pulling in all the State's top talent?

TrapGame
12-07-2018, 01:58 PM

The CUSA realignment destroyed USM while Fedora and Ellis Johnson danced on the ruins. Freeze wouldn't do shit there. He'd be 8-4 every year at best.

Johnson85
12-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Mississippi Southern will never be relevant in football again. Ever. That ship has sailed. Firing Jeff Bower was the beginning of the death spiral. Then they got left behind during all the conference realignment stuff. Zero fan support and zero support from local businesses.

Firing Jeff Bower didn't really matter. They were always going to be on the losing end of conference realignment.

thf24
12-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Firing Jeff Bower didn't really matter. They were always going to be on the losing end of conference realignment.

I'd argue a significant repercussion from firing Bower was Fedora coming in and more or less abandoning some of their traditional recruiting footholds for three years, allowing schools like Troy, USA, ULL, etc. to gain ground in those areas. Realignment was definitely the big blow though.

1bigdawg
12-07-2018, 02:27 PM
I believe they have the smallest budget in CUSA.

Johnson85
12-07-2018, 02:47 PM
I'd argue a significant repercussion from firing Bower was Fedora coming in and more or less abandoning some of their traditional recruiting footholds for three years, allowing schools like Troy, USA, ULL, etc. to gain ground in those areas. Realignment was definitely the big blow though.

Maybe. I'm certainly not in the know on USM, but I just assumed they got hurt more by USA ramping up their program and Hud making ULL relevant (for ULL). Also got hurt by MSU and UM getting their shit together.

DownwardDawg
12-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Maybe. I'm certainly not in the know on USM, but I just assumed they got hurt more by USA ramping up their program and Hud making ULL relevant (for ULL). Also got hurt by MSU and UM getting their shit together.

All these are correct. Perfect storm. The storm just started with the Bower firing. That was the “outer bands” of the storm.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Conference USA is a dumping ground for schools that can't get in another conference. It's not even close to what it used to be. The Sun Belt is probably better.

Todd4State
12-07-2018, 05:33 PM

I think it's several things:

In the 1980's they were independent and on the same footing as MSU and Ole Miss. Florida State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia Tech, and others were among independents at that time and they could legitimately claim equal footing. Now C-USA is slightly below the American Conference and just above the Sun Belt. And the part about the Sun Belt is debatable. That's why they are always going to have trouble recruiting the elite players in the state.

In the 1980's they also had a large and fertile recruiting territory. La Tech, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe, UAB, South Alabama, Troy, Central Florida, South Florida, Georgia Southern, and Georgia State have all moved up to D-I since the mid 1980's and have taken over and split up their territory.

Modern technology and recruiting web sites have all but ended the "unknown diamond in the rough" players that USM used to make a living off of.

It has been a perfect storm for things- and then they don't have the TV market to get into the American Conference which means that some of their other main competitors like Tulane and Memphis are now firmly ahead of them on the food chain and can take away another player or two from them.

bulldawg28
12-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Collins will be a great hire if he can get an OC. GA is a hotbed for talent and the guy can recruit.

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Collins already playing head games with UGA - talking smack about their academics and banning red from the football offices.

My UGA friends in our group text are going bonkers right now. Sound like a bunch of OM bitches.

bulldawg28
12-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Collins already playing head games with UGA - talking smack about their academics and banning red from the football offices.

My UGA friends in our group text are going bonkers right now. Sound like a bunch of OM bitches.

When he gets talent there GA will be in trouble. He's definitely going to have a competitive group. The entire ACC needs more competition. He'll bring that.

Cooterpoot
12-08-2018, 07:22 AM
1. Conference realignment, P5 tv deals, and the complete lack of a viable fan/alumni base killed USM. CUSA and The Mountain West we’re both hit hard with realignment.
2. Collins will find out how hard it is to recruit to GA Tech. It’s tough! All of their sports have suffered since the ACC grew into a P5 conference.

BrunswickDawg
12-08-2018, 07:38 AM
1. Conference realignment, P5 tv deals, and the complete lack of a viable fan/alumni base killed USM. CUSA and The Mountain West we’re both hit hard with realignment.
2. Collins will find out how hard it is to recruit to GA Tech. It’s tough! All of their sports have suffered since the ACC grew into a P5 conference.

Wait - Tech is replacing a coach that runs a ridiculous system. Even that coach won 11 game twice in his tenure and had three other seasons of 8 wins or more and won almost 60% of their games. It was his system limiting recruiting. Why would anyone other than a RB want to play there running it? It hasn't been that long since George O'Leary finished in the Top 25 5 straight years at Tech. Hell, even Chan Gailey won more than he lost at Tech. Don't buy the "it's hard to recruit to Tech" BS people like to put out there.

msstate7
12-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Wait - Tech is replacing a coach that runs a ridiculous system. Even that coach won 11 game twice in his tenure and had three other seasons of 8 wins or more and won almost 60% of their games. It was his system limiting recruiting. Why would anyone other than a RB want to play there running it? It hasn't been that long since George O'Leary finished in the Top 25 5 straight years at Tech. Hell, even Chan Gailey won more than he lost at Tech. Don't buy the "it's hard to recruit to Tech" BS people like to put out there.

Yep. Collins is gonna do well there

Cooterpoot
12-08-2018, 08:06 AM

They win because of that system. I’ve tried to get kids recruited there. I’m telling you, it’s tough. Try running a conventional system with lesser athletes. Because that’s what’s coming. That system hid some of that.

bulldawg28
12-08-2018, 12:37 PM
They win because of that system. I’ve tried to get kids recruited there. I’m telling you, it’s tough. Try running a conventional system with lesser athletes. Because that’s what’s coming. That system hid some of that.

Tech was producing NFL talent even with the scheme they ran.