PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss' Crayon Offense

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2018, 11:47 AM
This is unbelievable. In the words of AJ Brown, this is what Ole Miss is doing on offense & no doubt why their players aren't prepared for the next level in any way.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1070338267806089216

msstate7
12-05-2018, 11:53 AM
The funniest part is AJ thinking that's what the nfl does.

Dawgology
12-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Sad part is they have been doing that since the Freeze era and will continue doing it with the WR's they have coming in. Someone like AJ (with his natural talent) can rise above that and get to the NFL. These other WR's are going to take a hit in the draft because of little development. Additionaly, a borderline NFL prospect could be raised to a solid NFL prospect with good college coaching. That's not happening at Ole Miss.

Jack Lambert
12-05-2018, 12:05 PM
These other WR's are going to take a hit in the draft because of little development.

Side note: Someone like Taysom Hill is going to help someone like Fitz get a shot. Any team can duplicate what the Saints are doing with him with Fitz.

Commercecomet24
12-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Wow there are no words!

TrapGame
12-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Those aren't NFL routes you running, bruh.

WSOPdawg
12-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Damn, somebody's in for a huge letdown. Can't wait to watch it happen.

msstate7
12-05-2018, 12:19 PM
How much does the wonderlic hurt WRs? Just curious

TStationDawg
12-05-2018, 12:20 PM
This is unbelievable. In the words of AJ Brown, this is what Ole Miss is doing on offense & no doubt why their players aren't prepared for the next level in any way.

AJ needs to talk to his boy Treadwell! lol How'd that NFL prep work out for him!?

Pit Bull
12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Side note: Someone like Taysom Hill is going to help someone like Fitz get a shot. Any team can duplicate what the Saints are doing with him with Fitz.

Fitz's best chance to make it to the league is convert to TE. He's tall, physical, got good hands, runs fasts, knows the routes receivers run, and is big....although for an NFL TE, he needs to gain about 20-30 lbs. of muscle. I think he would make a good one. Plus, he passes well enough to let him throw in some trick plays involving the TE.....like a throwback to the QB.

TrapGame
12-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Fitz's best chance to make it to the league is convert to TE. He's tall, physical, got good hands, runs fasts, knows the routes receivers run, and is big....although for an NFL TE, he needs to gain about 20-30 lbs. of muscle. I think he would make a good one. Plus, he passes well enough to let him throw in some trick plays involving the TE.....like a throwback to the QB.

Fitz could be a Swiss Army knife to a lot of NFL offenses.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-05-2018, 12:33 PM
lol AJ must not me that smart if he can't see how mush of a contradiction he just made. "OM offense prepares me because in this O I run NFL routes" proceeds to say all he did was run around like a pickup game. Does he really think all NFL WRs do is wing their routes with 0 coordination with the QB? How does he think a QB progression works if the WRs aren't running a specific route? What does he think a timing route is? When he sees QBs making signals to the WRs what does he think they're doing if not changing the routes? Why does he think the Madden games have set routes if nobody uses them?

"just get open downfield" = literally every 12 year olds' pickup football game in his backyard. I mean sure improvising is a good skill on broken plays but that's only 5-10% of pass plays. Yet he genuinely seems to think all NFL WR's do is "get open downfield", and brags about how unsophisticated their O is.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2018, 12:37 PM
What's funny is that that offense couldn't score against any defense with a pulse & now they are losing first round WRs, a top 2 round LT, the QB, & maybe another draft pick on the OL next year.

They are going to be absolute dog shit next year

thf24
12-05-2018, 12:42 PM
lol AJ must not me that smart if he can't see how mush of a contradiction he just made. "OM offense prepares me because in this O I run NFL routes" proceeds to say all he did was run around like a pickup game. Does he really think all NFL WRs do is wing their routes with 0 coordination with the QB? How does he think a QB progression works if the WRs aren't running a specific route? What does he think a timing route is? When he sees QBs making signals to the WRs what does he think they're doing if not changing the routes? Why does he think the Madden games have set routes if nobody uses them?

"just get open downfield" = literally every 12 year olds' pickup football game in his backyard. I mean sure improvising is a good skill on broken plays but that's only 5-10% of pass plays. Yet he genuinely seems to think all NFL WR's do is "get open downfield", and brags about how unsophisticated their O is.

Sounds exactly like something someone generally full of the kind of shit he's spewed the past three years would come up with.

What's funny is that that offense couldn't score against any defense with a pulse & now they are losing first round WRs, a top 2 round LT, the QB, & maybe another draft pick on the OL next year.

They are going to be absolute dog shit next year

I think 2-10 is a very real possibility for them.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2018, 12:44 PM
In all honesty, if I were Matt Luke, here is what I'd do on offense next year.

Your defense stinks, you're losing an above average LT & top notch WRs.

Your best player on offense will be Scottie Phillips (if he stays)

I think their best chance next year is run an almost Brett Beliema style offense in which they shorten the game, use Scottie Phillips heavily, & let Corral play action pass off of that.

They would score less points doing that than they did this year, which was going to happen anyway, but they'd keep their defense off the field & likely create more close game that at least gave them a chance to win.

If they try to run this year's offense with their personnel next year, they're gonna get obliterated on the score board. Like 55-9 type games. At least by running & shortening the game, they could potentially play some 32-14 type games.

ckDOG
12-05-2018, 12:46 PM
So they run the run and shoot?

Sacrifice
12-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Haha the "just get open" play. That's some $hit we did on 4th down in my backyard when I was 10.

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-05-2018, 12:58 PM
What in the world makes him think nfl routes are improv?

Cooterpoot
12-05-2018, 01:05 PM
AJ's a couple happy meals away from a TE with no route running skills. I've got the feeling the combine will not be his friend.
And now that everybody knows Hugh's offense, no need to hire him.

Dawgowar
12-05-2018, 01:13 PM
The Vikings, in the Moss era, had a play call 'Randy Get Open'. It was still a basic deep post. All the others had to run precise routes to put the coverage in the worst possible set-up to defend Moss. I have not seen any other NFL WR that had that kind of loose control and work. Dez Bryant was utter shit when he failed to run good routes. Conversely, with far less talent, Fred Biletnikoff couldn't outrun an ant but his routes running made him a HOF receiver. All three of TSUN's WR's are gonna have to overcome Treadwell's failures. Both Freeze's and Longo's offenses are not WR complex. Treadwell isn't developing for squat.

Bully13
12-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Spending a $billion on top notch 50/50 NFL worthy wideouts who can go get the ball against college corners not NFL worthy. I'm having visions about a UF system under Spurrier where a certain QB who won a Heisman but never managed to earn a meaningful NFL snap.

That QB was a quality dude though. Just the right dude at the right time under the old ball coach.

BeardoMSU
12-05-2018, 01:24 PM
The funniest part is AJ thinking that's what the nfl does.

No kidding...oh what humility awaits him
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Point-And-Laugh-Reaction-Gif.gif

TrapGame
12-05-2018, 02:00 PM
What in the world makes him think nfl routes are improv?

It's like he thinks NFL WRs just come up with their own shit on the fly. But I guess that's being in an offense that has a play book with only 28 plays.

Jack Lambert
12-05-2018, 02:08 PM

I think their best chance next year is run an almost Brett Beliema style offense in which they shorten the game, use Scottie Phillips heavily, & let Corral play action pass off of that.

They would score less points doing that than they did this year, which was going to happen anyway, but they'd keep their defense off the field & likely create more close game that at least gave them a chance to win.

If they try to run this year's offense with their personnel next year, they're gonna get obliterated on the score board. Like 55-9 type games. At least by running & shortening the game, they could potentially play some 32-14 type games.

He is losing more then the LT on that line.

Political Hack
12-05-2018, 03:58 PM
"Get open" hasn't worked since 5th grade recess. He thinks that's what the NFL does!?!?!

Holy hell. This kid is destined to be yet another NFL/OM bust.

Todd4State
12-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Hopefully someone shows this to Mingo. Ole Miss's offense has been getting ripped by a NFL draft reporter today.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1070191639505833984

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1070191100994994176

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Hopefully someone shows this to Mingo. Ole Miss's offense has been getting ripped by a NFL draft reporter today.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1070191639505833984

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1070191100994994176

Amazing how players have bought into this.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Saddest part of this whole thing is that this Mickey Mouse offensive scheme smoked Mullen's defenses on the regular

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Saddest part of this whole thing is that this Mickey Mouse offensive scheme smoked Mullen's defenses on the regular

They smoked the Mickey Mouse defense that didn't prepare that week due to Mullen's job hunting

Todd4State
12-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Amazing how players have bought into this.

If the NWO boys bust along with Treadwell they'll stop going there.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2018, 06:06 PM
If the NWO boys bust along with Treadwell they'll stop going there.

Agree to some extent, but what is their other option?

We've haven't had a WR drafted in forever, &, until we do, it's still going to be difficult to beat OM for them. Kids would rather stink in the NFL but get drafted & make some money rather than not getting drafted at all.

I realize that OM has bought & cheated to get many of those WRs, but some they haven't. I think they've out evaluated us at that position by a large margin.

I'm encouraged by Moorhead prioritizing speed at WR as I think that was a big issue with Mullen's WR recruiting. Since he wasn't really a vertical passing game coach, I think Mullen wanted big guys that could post up, convert 3rd downs, & catch an occasional back shoulder throw. Due to that, we either ended up with midgets that were fast in the middle of the field or big guys that were slow on the outside.

Ole Miss has on average had significantly more speed at WR than us.

Perhaps, others will disagree but IMO our WRs issues are our fault. If we are going to point finger, make sure you also point the thumb.

Cowbell
12-05-2018, 07:45 PM
AJ just dropped out of the first round imo.

turkish
12-05-2018, 08:08 PM
They smoked the Mickey Mouse defense that didn't prepare that week due to Mullen's job hunting

Was our defensive coaching staff also job hunting? Honest question.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Was our defensive coaching staff also job hunting? Honest question.

I think it all kind of works together from the top down to get the team ready to play.

If the head honcho doesn't give crap, it's difficult to keep an edge

Todd4State
12-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Agree to some extent, but what is their other option?

We've haven't had a WR drafted in forever, &, until we do, it's still going to be difficult to beat OM for them. Kids would rather stink in the NFL but get drafted & make some money rather than not getting drafted at all.

I realize that OM has bought & cheated to get many of those WRs, but some they haven't. I think they've out evaluated us at that position by a large margin.

I'm encouraged by Moorhead prioritizing speed at WR as I think that was a big issue with Mullen's WR recruiting. Since he wasn't really a vertical passing game coach, I think Mullen wanted big guys that could post up, convert 3rd downs, & catch an occasional back shoulder throw. Due to that, we either ended up with midgets that were fast in the middle of the field or big guys that were slow on the outside.

Ole Miss has on average had significantly more speed at WR than us.

Perhaps, others will disagree but IMO our WRs issues are our fault. If we are going to point finger, make sure you also point the thumb.

I don't disagree. I think we are doing everything we can to change that. Having a more pass friendly offense helps. Having a good WR coach with NFL experience as a WR coach like Getsy helps. Hopefully we can get Guidry drafted. And then Heath. And then we have two four star WR's committed in Mason and Tulu.

I don't think that they have outevlauated us. I think they outrecruited/outworked us for those players. AJ in particular.

LC Dawg
12-05-2018, 09:57 PM

Both the A and the B defenses.

TimberBeast
12-05-2018, 10:40 PM

Please let them do that next season. That might be even funnier to watch than their offense this season.

msudawglb
12-06-2018, 01:12 AM
AJ just dropped out of the first round imo.

That?s what I?m thinking. If NFL scouts interview him and he says that shit, he will drop like a brick. What a idiot and what a joke of a program Mississippi is.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Bo had Ledyard on this morning to discuss this.

Outstanding interview. The guy knows his stuff.

He couldn't be less impressed with Longo. Ole Miss should fire Longo before 9:00 this morning.

thf24
12-06-2018, 09:11 AM
He couldn't be less impressed with Longo. Ole Miss should fire Longo before 9:00 this morning.

I wonder if this attention might cause OM's speculated plan to hold onto him until after signing day to backfire. Might be an effective recruiting counter, asking prospects if they want to go play in a Fisher Price offense that leaves you looking like a moron when you start talking to NFL scouts.

LC Dawg
12-06-2018, 10:10 AM
AJ says they have playS called get open. That's plural. Longo has said he has 25 plays. Now I'm wondering exactly how many of the 25 are called get open.
I liked Grantham but I can't believe he let this offense beat his defense.
The funny thing about this coming out is everyone knows Ole Miss should fire Longo but I don't think they will because they know they can't get anyone any better to take his place.

TrapGame
12-06-2018, 10:22 AM

I listened to that too. That was a brutal critique from an NFL guy. That's weaponized recruiting material. I'm sure Joe and Getsy will use this to its full potential, unlike Dan and Gonzo.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-06-2018, 10:51 AM
I didn't realize that D.K. only had 67 catches in 3 seasons. I know he was hurt several games, but just seemed like he touched it more.

Lord McBuckethead
12-06-2018, 11:03 AM

MSU needs this guy on every radio and TV show talking about UM coaching as much as possible. Maybe, just maybe Mingo or someone else will clue into the fact that with that type of talent you can get to the nfl from any team in the P5. But the correct college coaching staff can prepare you to stay on an NFL squad.

DownwardDawg
12-06-2018, 11:31 AM
I don't disagree. I think we are doing everything we can to change that. Having a more pass friendly offense helps. Having a good WR coach with NFL experience as a WR coach like Getsy helps. Hopefully we can get Guidry drafted. And then Heath. And then we have two four star WR's committed in Mason and Tulu.

I don't think that they have outevlauated us. I think they outrecruited/outworked us for those players. AJ in particular.

I agree with everything you stated but AJ was never ever ever coming to State. It was never even considered by him.

thf24
12-06-2018, 11:32 AM
I didn't realize that D.K. only had 67 catches in 3 seasons. I know he was hurt several games, but just seemed like he touched it more.

I believe he missed the vast majority of 2016 as well.

Spiderman
12-06-2018, 10:18 PM

It's the Air Raid. It's beauty is it's simplicity. There is a reason Leach uses an index card for a play sheet compared to the Giant tri -folders most coaches use.

Dawgology
12-06-2018, 11:32 PM
It's the Air Raid. It's beauty is it's simplicity. There is a reason Leach uses an index card for a play sheet compared to the Giant tri -folders most coaches use.

Lol...no. Or did I miss these “**”

Spiderman
12-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Lol...no. Or did I miss these “**”

No, it's true. Longo is an Air Raid guy fundamentally.

The Air Raid has very few plays. In fact Mumme once said they ran 60 something plays in a game once and 50 of them was "Mesh", a cornerstone of the Air Raid.

Outside of a few Screens and a couple of run plays, the Air Raid is basically, "6", "Mesh", "Shallow', Stick", Y Sail", "Y Cross" (Leach-Mumme terminology) out a few different formations.

TrapGame
12-07-2018, 11:12 AM

The Air Raid has very few plays. In fact Mumme once said they ran 60 something plays in a game once and 50 of them was "Mesh", a cornerstone of the Air Raid.

Outside of a few Screens and a couple of run plays, the Air Raid is basically, "6", "Mesh", "Shallow', Stick", Y Sail", "Y Cross" (Leach-Mumme terminology) out a few different formations.

Oh, air raid. I thought you said air head.**

thf24
12-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Exactly; a real air raid, though simple, still has a degree of sophistication above 5th grade playground football. I doubt Leach's offense consists mostly of plays called "get open."

TrapGame
12-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Exactly; a real air raid, though simple, still has a degree of sophistication above 5th grade playground football. I doubt Leach's offense consists mostly of plays called "get open."

I remember announcers during the Cal game last year talking about Longo's offense. They said he told receivers to run to the largest open green area and turn for the ball. That's his entire offense in one sentence.

Spiderman
12-07-2018, 01:08 PM
I remember announcers during the Cal game last year talking about Longo's offense. They said he told receivers to run to the largest open green area and turn for the ball. That's his entire offense in one sentence.

Air raid, all about space, and throwing to grass. Throw away from color and throw to grass.

I will say Longo asks his WR's to read a lot more than Leach. Leach put's more on the QB's, Longo on the WR's