PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Getting Turned Down in Search for New DC

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Now, I think Golding knows that Tosh will likely get a head job in the next few years & he'll be the next DC at Bama. That being said, what DC is going to want to take over a crap unit in which the head coach is virtually assured of getting fired next year?

Auburn may have the same issue with their OC job

https://twitter.com/SECfootball/status/1070013383716392960

msstate7
12-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Really wish Oklahoma would fill that job quickly

mstatefan91
12-04-2018, 12:58 PM
What's Peter Sirmon up to? I'm not even joking. He may be their best bet

RiverCityDawg
12-04-2018, 01:02 PM
What's Peter Sirmon up to? I'm not even joking. He may be their best bet

There are 125 FCS teams, so there are at least 125 better bets than Sirmon even if every single FBS DC and position coach turns them down.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Really wish Oklahoma would fill that job quickly

I know where you're going with this, but I don't think there is any fear of that happening.

I think OU should try to go get Aranda &, if Aranda was smart, he may consider it.

At LSU, his defense has all the pressure on it & virtually has to play perfect while he gets no real credit.

At OU, he could be a real difference maker. Move Oklahoma from the 108th in total defense to 50 or so & he'd be a head coach within 2 years.

mstatefan91
12-04-2018, 01:03 PM
There are 125 FCS teams, so there are at least 125 better bets than Sirmon even if every single FBS DC and position coach turns them down.

If every single FBS DC and position coach turns them down then Sirmon is all that's left before getting into FCS? Correct?

They might be able to find an up and coming guy.. I don't envy whoever signs that dotted line though

msstate7
12-04-2018, 01:04 PM
I know where you're going with this, but I don't think there is any fear of that happening.

I think OU should try to go get Aranda &, if Aranda was smart, he may consider it.

At LSU, his defense has all the pressure on it & virtually has to play perfect.

At OU, he could be a real difference maker. Move Oklahoma from the 108th in total defense to 50 or so & he'd be a head coach within 2 years.

Why wouldn't that be true of the other guy too?

DownwardDawg
12-04-2018, 01:05 PM

At LSU, his defense has all the pressure on it & virtually has to play perfect while he gets no real credit.

Very good point. And imagine how good Oklahoma would be with a top 50 defense.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Why wouldn't that be true of the other guy too?

Because of his friendship with Moorhead.

If Moorhead & Shoop didn't have a personal relationship in which, the want to work together, it would completely make sense for Shoop to do that.

I just can't imagine that Orgeron & Aranda have that relationship

BeardoMSU
12-04-2018, 01:08 PM
If every single FBS DC and position coach turns them down then Sirmon is all that's left before getting into FCS? Correct?

They might be able to find an up and coming guy.. I don't envy whoever signs that dotted line though

They'll just promote from within and call it a home run hire.

msstate7
12-04-2018, 01:08 PM

If Moorhead & Shoop didn't have a personal relationship in which, the want to work together, it would completely make sense for Shoop to do that.

I can go along with that. Still, I want that spot and Ohio st (once day takes over) filled quickly and without incidence

mstatefan91
12-04-2018, 01:11 PM
They'll just promote from within and call it a home run hire.

Actually, that's probably what will happen. I can't imagine why anyone would want to sign up for the ass whippings that are coming their way next season.

RiverCityDawg
12-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Yeah my point is that they'd be better off rolling the dice on literally anyone before going with someone they know for a fact is terrible. If you had to pick a head coach right now for 2019 and you only had two choices - Sylvester Croom or take your chances with Joe Random FCS DC - who are you picking? Sirmon is worse than Croom. (Yeah, I said it)

msbulldog
12-04-2018, 01:13 PM

And our AD needs to let Shoop know that he is in-line for a hefty pay increase if he hasn't already.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2018, 01:16 PM
And our AD needs to let Shoop know that he is in-line for a hefty pay increase if he hasn't already.

Our AD is very pro-active & understands. I have no doubt that has already happened

Additionally, my guess is that the Butch Jones experience for Shoop was so horrid, that he's likely not rushing to jump into another situation when he really likes the coach he currently works for

Irondawg
12-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Golding turning down OU is the surprise. Perhaps worried about Riley leaving for NFL

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Golding turning down OU is the surprise. Perhaps worried about Riley leaving for NFL

I disagree. Saban's longest tenured coach has been on staff for 3 years

My guess is that Saban told Golding that he'd be the next DC & likely that happens within the next 2 years.

Johnson85
12-04-2018, 01:47 PM

Ole Miss is in the same situation they were in when they had to hire McGriff. Anybody that feels good about their career trajectory isn't going to kill it by going to a no-win situation that will probably only last a year before the head coach is fired. So they are going to either have to wayyyy overpay so that anybody with a good career trajectory feels like they are going to be more or less set, or they are going to have to offer somebody who knows it's their only chance to be a DC b/c nobody else sees them as a DC, or likely they'll have to way overpay for somebody tha'ts not really DC material, like they did with McGriff.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2018, 01:52 PM

JoeMo & Shoop have a really good working relationship. I wouldn't call them friends.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2018, 01:53 PM
JoeMo & Shoop have a really good working relationship. I wouldn't call them friends.

Interesting. I thought they were pretty close

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2018, 01:59 PM

They never knew each other personally before they got on the same staff.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2018, 02:06 PM
They never knew each other personally before they got on the same staff.

That's right. Jomo was friends with his brother or something, right?

BulldogDX55
12-04-2018, 02:27 PM
They should go get Carl Torbush.

That would be a

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/360/172/4172360.gif

hire

Irondawg
12-04-2018, 02:28 PM
I disagree. Saban's longest tenured coach has been on staff for 3 years

My guess is that Saban told Golding that he'd be the next DC & likely that happens within the next 2 years.

Maybe but he's giving up money now at another elite school and who honestly knows how much longer Saban wants to coach.

West Tn Dawg
12-04-2018, 02:34 PM

How do you guys know if they are friends are not? Do you have dinner with them or visit their homes? Not trying to be a smart ass, but it seem's that many just throw things against the wall around here. Unless you are personal friends with one or the other, I just don't see it.

Todd4State
12-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Ole Miss is in the same situation they were in when they had to hire McGriff. Anybody that feels good about their career trajectory isn't going to kill it by going to a no-win situation that will probably only last a year before the head coach is fired. So they are going to either have to wayyyy overpay so that anybody with a good career trajectory feels like they are going to be more or less set, or they are going to have to offer somebody who knows it's their only chance to be a DC b/c nobody else sees them as a DC, or likely they'll have to way overpay for somebody tha'ts not really DC material, like they did with McGriff.

You nailed it. And I don't think they are going to be very patient with Luke now that he is playing the assistant/coordinator scapegoat card. Not to mention anyone that coaches that has to be willing to go along with the Network. Most coaches don't want to risk ending up like Saunders or Farrar.

YoungB
12-04-2018, 04:29 PM

This is the correct answer. McGriff Part II incoming.

Jack Lambert
12-04-2018, 05:24 PM

And when Luke gets fired he will be taking care of but the others guys are going to be screwed.

msu15
12-04-2018, 05:28 PM
They should go get Carl Torbush.

That would be a

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/360/172/4172360.gif

hire

Ol' Carl, he's hiring+leaving after 1 year always intrigued me.

Todd4State
12-04-2018, 05:30 PM
And when Luke gets fired he will be taking care of but the others guys are going to be screwed.

I'm very curious to see how long he lasts there. He obviously has very deep ties to Ole Miss and the Network and I would think that would give him some more leeway.

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2018, 05:48 PM
How do you guys know if they are friends are not? Do you have dinner with them or visit their homes? Not trying to be a smart ass, but it seem's that many just throw things against the wall around here. Unless you are personal friends with one or the other, I just don't see it.

They had never worked together until this year. I think IYOK's point is it's not like Shoop and Joe went to Fordham together, or came up in the ranks on the same staff of 1 HC moving from team to team (like Mullen and Hev). They knew of each other, liked each other's work, and thought they could work well together.

msbulldog
12-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Our AD is very pro-active & understands. I have no doubt that has already happened

Additionally, my guess is that the Butch Jones experience for Shoop was so horrid, that he's likely not rushing to jump into another situation when he really likes the coach he currently works for

I'm sure your right about that Gun. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ShotgunDawg again.

deltadawg99
12-05-2018, 08:24 AM
I was a little worried about Golding. He’s from Cleveland and his wife went to OM.

LibraryDawg
12-05-2018, 10:28 AM
I was a little worried about Golding. He’s from Cleveland and his wife went to OM.

He will be the DC at Alabama within the next 3-5 years and he knows it. He isn't going anywhere.