PDA

View Full Version : What a joke! Women didn't move in this week's poll

mparkerfd20
12-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Still 6. ND and UCONN just switched.

WSOPdawg
12-04-2018, 09:03 AM
Still 6. ND and UCONN just switched.

WBB overall is so top heavy that it's really difficult for losses to accumulate before conference play begins (and then they're scarce).

Was really hoping South Carolina could hand one to Baylor Sunday but they got blown out. As did Notre Dame losing to UConn. But I am excited for the Oregon matchup in a couple of weeks.

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 09:24 AM
There's not really any clear reason we should move up to me. It's really hard to evaluate it, which is why I think they're hesitant to change much at the top. We will have our chances once we play Oregon. AP Polls are not that relevant in the grand scheme of things. They've got nothing to do with tournament seeds. I think our RPI is in the 30s right now, so we need to play more good opponents to make our case.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-04-2018, 09:24 AM
The good thing about basketball and rankings... it usually self corrects by the end of the season....

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 09:29 AM
I would pay more attention to bracketology. Those polls are just to drive excitement for potential matchups. But I did a quick check, and all the teams ahead of us have higher RPIs.

mstatefan91
12-04-2018, 09:30 AM
We just want a #1 seed by the end of the season. Win the SEC and we are golden

Cooterpoot
12-04-2018, 09:31 AM
It's just silly that ND only fell one spot.

mstatefan91
12-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Makes it clear that the media believes UCONN is insurmountable again and everyone is just playing for 2nd place.

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Makes it clear that the media believes UCONN is insurmountable again and everyone is just playing for 2nd place.

What the media and AP voters think doesn't matter, but ND's RPI is 1. UConn's is 3. Ours is 38. So the AP rankings make a lot sense in this case. Our November schedule was pathetic to be completely honest.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-04-2018, 10:00 AM
why would they? You think ND was going to fall that many spots? We will have several opportunities to move up. One coming up really soon.

Cooterpoot
12-04-2018, 10:05 AM

No, it's the media taking care of ND just like they do in the other sports. Plus, they won it last year. I've seen the inner workings of the ND alumni. I'm telling you, they're the most powerful bunch in the country. It's crazy how they're all intertwined and keep that thing rolling. The money is unbelievable.
You lose by almost 20, you should drop more than one spot. UConn hasn't proven to be the best team in America the last couple years either. They live on their name as well. They're good, but they're not so good they can't be beaten.

Dawgology
12-04-2018, 10:09 AM
No, it's the media taking care of ND just like they do in the other sports. Plus, they won it last year. I've seen the inner workings of the ND alumni. I'm telling you, they're the most powerful bunch in the country. It's crazy how they're all intertwined and keep that thing rolling. The money is unbelievable.
You lose by almost 20, you should drop more than one spot. UConn hasn't proven to be the best team in America the last couple years either. They live on their name as well. They're good, but they're not so good they can't be beaten.

Definitely cracks in the armor at UConn here lately. When I look at this women's team I realize that (minus T) it's still a pretty young team and they will be even better by season end. That is scary! We have some good women's basketball for the forseeable future here.

Cooterpoot
12-04-2018, 10:14 AM
I don't have an issue with where we're ranked. We'll work our way through that. I just find it ridiculous the voters basically are saying nobody can play UConn better than what ND played them.

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 10:40 AM
If ND has an RPI of 1, and their only loss is to a team with an RPI of 3, I have no problem with them being ranked 2. ND has all the pieces to beat UConn, but they played undisciplined and emotional. I'm just not seeing a logical case to drop ND any further when everyone below them has a worse RPI.

None of it matters anyway. Baylor was undefeated and ranked at 2 in the AP last year going into the tournament but was given a 2 seed due to weak RPI. We can't play a bunch of sub 200 and 300 RPI teams and expect to jump up in the polls. We will have our chance to prove ourselves in the coming weeks.

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 10:48 AM
I don't have an issue with where we're ranked. We'll work our way through that. I just find it ridiculous the voters basically are saying nobody can play UConn better than what ND played them.

At this time, nobody really knows because none of the other top tier teams have played UConn this year. If teams want to prove they can beat UConn, they should schedule them.

Cooterpoot
12-04-2018, 10:54 AM
At this time, nobody really knows because none of the other top tier teams have played UConn this year. If teams want to prove they can beat UConn, they should schedule them.

But, ND has proven they can't. That's the point. The other's might beat UConn, but ND didn't.

Scared_Hitless
12-04-2018, 10:54 AM
I am in the boat of we still do not know how good of a team we have. Are we very good yes of course. Are we elite and true Final Four contenders possibly. That Texas win cleared up some doubt, but I was not overly impressed by their squad. Very much looking forward to the Oregon game if we go there and handle them we will get our due.

Main thing about this team is we are faster and more athletic than we were last year. Bibby is proving to be a nice shooter along with AEH. Keep improving and we have a real shot to not only win the whole thing but run the table.

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 12:23 PM
But, ND has proven they can't. That's the point. The other's might beat UConn, but ND didn't.

Then the others should schedule UConn. The voters aren't gonna move rankings around because a team might beat UConn. I still find no logical reason that ND should be ranked less than 2.

smootness
12-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Notre Dame beat 5 ranked teams in a row before losing to UConn. They won it all last year. They were one of only 2 teams to play UConn to single digits last year, winning one of them.

We have played one team with a pulse. Notre Dame is just fine being ranked #2 right now.

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 12:37 PM
I am in the boat of we still do not know how good of a team we have. Are we very good yes of course. Are we elite and true Final Four contenders possibly. That Texas win cleared up some doubt, but I was not overly impressed by their squad. Very much looking forward to the Oregon game if we go there and handle them we will get our due.

Main thing about this team is we are faster and more athletic than we were last year. Bibby is proving to be a nice shooter along with AEH. Keep improving and we have a real shot to not only win the whole thing but run the table.

This is where I am. I think our #6 ranking is due to respect for our program and potential, not anything we've necessarily earned so far. I'm not that impressed with blowing out sub 200 and 300 RPI teams. There are a lot of teams out there that can blow those teams out. I'm interested in seeing if we can beat top 10 teams or win when we have an off night. We have a lot of strong pieces, but they aren't battle tested yet.

dawgday166
12-04-2018, 12:45 PM

They did win Natty last year and they have everyone back plus the 3 or so gals that were hurt last year and didn't play. They will be very strong at the end of season.

msbulldog
12-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Did you watch them play? UCONN is gonna be tough as always, big ole girls with big ole legs, sturdy!

msbulldog
12-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Us playing lesser teams is part of Vic's genius, he knew not only would we be young, but we haven't played a lot together as a team. Thus the Italy trip and easy games to get everything together.

mstatefan91
12-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Did you watch them play? UCONN is gonna be tough as always, big ole girls with big ole legs, sturdy!

I'm not saying that UCONN shouldn't be #1.. that's not what my post is getting at.. The fact that UCONN beat ND and ND only dropped one spot tells me that the media thinks nobody has a shot at beating them this year..

LC Dawg
12-04-2018, 02:24 PM
We need to go ahead and schedule a home and home with UConn.

Percho
12-04-2018, 02:26 PM

If we beat Oregon by 20, will you be unimpressed by Oregon also?

Who all will we have to beat before you are impressed by MSU?

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 03:28 PM
I'm not saying that UCONN shouldn't be #1.. that's not what my post is getting at.. The fact that UCONN beat ND and ND only dropped one spot tells me that the media thinks nobody has a shot at beating them this year..

I don't get that UConn's ranking means the media thinks no one can beat them. It looks to me like the logical conclusion, based on RPIs and their win Sunday, that they would be ranked #1. I don't understand why that conveys that the media thinks no one else can beat them.

mstatefan91
12-04-2018, 03:36 PM
I don't get that UConn's ranking means the media thinks no one can beat them. It looks to me like the logical conclusion, based on RPIs and their win Sunday, that they would be ranked #1. I don't understand why that conveys that the media thinks no one else can beat them.

I'll explain it one last time. UCONN should be #1 right now. ND being #2 makes it look like UCONN is unbeatable.. that's all.. I think most people would expect to drop to #3 or #4.. That's it.. moving on

Dawg2003
12-04-2018, 04:34 PM
I'll explain it one last time. UCONN should be #1 right now. ND being #2 makes it look like UCONN is unbeatable.. that's all.. I think most people would expect to drop to #3 or #4.. That's it.. moving on

I understand what you're saying; it just doesn't make any logical sense. ND shouldn't fall to 3 or 4 with an RPI of 1. There's no way in the world you can justify Baylor, Louisville, or Oregon moving ahead of ND. You're reading extra meaning into the ranking when there's really just a simple explanation.