PDA

View Full Version : So Iowa has the #7 run defense in the nation...

Coach007
12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
interesting.

timotheus
12-03-2018, 12:24 PM
I would check who they actually played first and then adjust accordingly.

Coach007
12-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Well sure!

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 01:08 PM

Well, I think it's right to temper on that ranking.

Iowa DOES have a very, very solid and long front four (two of the starting DL are legit 6'7 and 6'8, respectively) - and the DBs are very solid in run support. LBs are anyone's guess, game by game.

But...

As the LBs go, so goes the proficiency of the rush D.

We've been hit or miss, and no amount of statistical analysis will bring you closer to a clearer understanding of what to expect come Jan. 1. Lots of context and situational understanding needed - and even then...

It's maddening.

Prediction? Pain.
12-03-2018, 01:32 PM
I'm starting to glance through their defensive stats. They really are pretty impressive and deserving of the praise they get. On the rushing side, it's not that they stonewall you at or behind the line of scrimmage for an inordinate amount of negative- or zero-yard plays. They're 83rd nationally in TFLs per game and 107th nationally in stuff rate (the rate of opponents' runs that go for zero or less yards). This means that despite their very, very good opponent-yard-per-rush average -- 8th nationally at 3.14 yards per carry (one spot behind State, which has allowed only 3.04 yards per carry) -- opponents have been able to be relatively efficient on the ground. Their D is 64th nationally in rushing efficiency and 75th nationally in "opportunity rate" (the rate at which opponents' rushes go for at least 5 yards).

Rather, the rushing defense is so good because they fly to the ball and tackle well as soon as you pass your O-line's push -- they're 10th nationally in allowing running plays of 10+ yards and 2nd nationally in allowing running plays of 20+ yards. (They've allowed four runs of 20+ yards all year.) Even if you adjust it for their opponents -- though it's not like the Big Ten is the MAC or anything (plus they held a ranked Iowa State team in an OOC game to 0.76 yards per carry) -- that's stout. And the advanced stats say likewise -- they're 3rd nationally in rushing "explosiveness" defense per the S&P+.

The passing D may be a little more consistent with a blend of both disruptive plays and fundamentally sound schemes and execution. Their D is 21st nationally in sack rate, 2nd nationally in sack rate on passing downs, 10th nationally on third-and-long success rate, and 10th nationally in overall passing efficiency D (efficiency based on rate of allowing "successful" pass plays, not completion percentage). They're slightly more vulnerable to big plays through the air and on passing downs -- 21st and 52nd overall in those categories -- but they're still not getting gashed. Oh, and they're 1st nationally in interceptions per game.

Solid stuff, Iowa. Guess this is their M.O. Never really paid them much mind before. It'll be fun to check them out.

Coach007
12-03-2018, 01:34 PM
It looks like it's a legit run defense to me. a couple of games that I looked at were bad, but it was against top rushing offenses. 210 to Wisconsin.

Tbonewannabe
12-03-2018, 01:37 PM
I'm starting to glance through their defensive stats. They really are pretty impressive and deserving of the praise they get. On the rushing side, it's not that they stonewall you at or behind the line of scrimmage for an inordinate amount of negative- or zero-yard plays. They're 83rd nationally in TFLs per game and 107th nationally in stuff rate (the rate of opponents' runs that go for zero or less yards). This means that despite their very, very good opponent-yard-per-rush average -- 8th nationally at 3.14 yards per carry (one spot behind State, which has allowed only 3.04 yards per carry) -- opponents have been able to be relatively efficient on the ground. Their D is 64th nationally in rushing efficiency and 75th nationally in "opportunity rate" (the rate at which opponents' rushes go for at least 5 yards).

Rather, it's that they fly to the ball and tackle well as soon as you pass your O-line's push -- they're 10th nationally in allowing running plays of 10+ yards and 2nd nationally in allowing running plays of 20+ yards. (They've allowed four runs of 20+ yards all year.) Even if you adjust it for their opponents -- though it's not like the Big Ten is the MAC or anything (plus they held a ranked Iowa State team in an OOC game to 0.76 yards per carry) -- that's stout. And the advanced stats say likewise -- they're 3rd nationally in rushing "explosiveness" defense per the S&P+.

The passing D may be a little more consistent with a blend of both disruptive plays and fundamentally sound schemes and execution. Their D is 21st nationally in sack rate, 2nd nationally in sack rate on passing downs, 10th nationally on third-and-long success rate, and 10th nationally in overall passing efficiency D (efficiency based on rate of allowing "successful" pass plays, not completion percentage). They're slightly more vulnerable to big plays through the air and on passing downs -- 21st and 52nd overall in those categories -- but they're still not getting gashed. Oh, and they're 1st nationally in interceptions per game.

Solid stuff, Iowa. Guess this is their M.O. Never really paid them much mind before. It'll be fun to check them out.

It should be a good game. We were able to run the ball somewhat on A&M who had the #1 rush defense in the country at the time but Iowa actually has a pass defense to go along with it. I doubt either team breaks 20 points unless turnovers happen.

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 01:40 PM

Rather, it's that they fly to the ball and tackle well as soon as you pass your O-line's push -- they're 10th nationally in allowing running plays of 10+ yards and 2nd nationally in allowing running plays of 20+ yards. (They've allowed four runs of 20+ yards all year.) Even if you adjust it for their opponents -- though it's not like the Big Ten is the MAC or anything (plus they held a ranked Iowa State team in an OOC game to 0.76 yards per carry) -- that's stout. And the advanced stats say likewise -- they're 3rd nationally in rushing "explosiveness" defense per the S&P+.

That's good stuff Pain. Makes me rethink some my going in position on this game.

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Be careful with stats in predicting one game. Twelve games is a very limited sample to draw many conclusions from. Trends, maybe, but in the end it will come down to how the two teams adjust to the initial scheme/approach.

Very typical for teams to drive the field against Iowa's base D the first time and then really struggle after that due to small adjustments. Really good coaching staff for the Hawks. If you beat us it will be because we were outmatched, not outschemed.

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 01:54 PM
What we've done well is get proper run fits to limit big gains. You've gotta get our LBs going laterally to have success. The DL does a very good job of keeping them clean to make tackles.

Tbonewannabe
12-03-2018, 02:03 PM
What we've done well is get proper run fits to limit big gains. You've gotta get our LBs going laterally to have success. The DL does a very good job of keeping them clean to make tackles.

Our strength is actually running in the middle of the line. We have 2 guys who will get drafted with our center being rated as the #1 center in the draft. Kylin Hill is a NFL type back at 6' 210 lbs with 4.4 type speed. He can run around or over most LBs. Of course, our primary running threat is Fitz at 6'5" 230 lbs.

Saying that, how is your DTs in run stopping? Are they big guys that eat up blocks or quick guys?

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Our strength is actually running in the middle of the line. We have 2 guys who will get drafted with our center being rated as the #1 center in the draft. Kylin Hill is a NFL type back at 6' 210 lbs with 4.4 type speed. He can run around or over most LBs. Of course, our primary running threat is Fitz at 6'5" 230 lbs.

Saying that, how is your DTs in run stopping? Are they big guys that eat up blocks or quick guys?

We have a mix. Not huge by any means, but definitely two gap players who try to clog things up. Make up for lack of girth with really good technique and good motors.

Our two deeps include...

Sam Brincks 6'5" 275 lbs
Matt Nelson 6'8" 295 lbs

Cedric Lattimore 6'3" 295 lbs
Brady Reiff 6'3" 272 lbs

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 02:17 PM

DTs eat up blocks and are gap sound @ Iowa. Good, strong hands and placement (i.e., 'Farm Strong') for engagement and control at point of contact. Different than the SEC.

Think Mike Daniels from Green Bay (an Iowa guy) - just really good from a fundamental standpoint...don't create or go outside their box...play disciplined irrespective of the situation.

Irondawg
12-03-2018, 02:18 PM
That defense looks very strong on paper. Wasn't familiar with the coaching staff and they do an outstanding job with retention and continuity. HC there 20 years and the DC has been the DC 7 but I think he's been on staff for close to 20 years as well

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 02:27 PM
That defense looks very strong on paper. Wasn't familiar with the coaching staff and they do an outstanding job with retention and continuity. HC there 20 years and the DC has been the DC 7 but I think he's been on staff for close to 20 years as well

This is going to be a fun tussle in Tampa. :)

Best of luck to the Hawkeyes and Bulldogs!

PS. Head Coach Ferentz was also the OL coach @ Iowa from '81 through '89. So his time @ Iowa is closing in on 30 years. Iowa has had 2 head football coaches since 1979 (Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz) and 3 ADs in that same time span. Yes, it is good to have continuity.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-03-2018, 02:55 PM
This is going to be a fun tussle in Tampa. :)

Best of luck to the Hawkeyes and Bulldogs!

PS. Head Coach Ferentz was also the OL coach @ Iowa from '81 through '89. So his time @ Iowa is closing in on 30 years. Iowa has had 2 head football coaches since 1979 (Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz) and 3 ADs in that same time span. Yes, it is good to have continuity.

So you are wishing luck to both teams? Why do people do that?

Gonzo
12-03-2018, 02:58 PM
DTs eat up blocks and are gap sound @ Iowa. Good, strong hands and placement (i.e., 'Farm Strong') for engagement and control at point of contact. Different than the SEC.

Think Mike Daniels from Green Bay (an Iowa guy) - just really good from a fundamental standpoint...don't create or go outside their box...play disciplined irrespective of the situation.

Good stuff but I think the Daniels comparison may be a stretch. That guy has a pretty uncommon motor on him, love our interior guys but none of them have his kind of motor.

Big thing to know about our DL is how tall they are. DT Matt Nelson is 6'8, DE Anthony Nelson is 6'7, DE Epenesa 6'5... they can give QBs fits when they get their hands up but with your 6'5 QB he probably won't be as bothered by it.

Looking forward to this first time meeting. Lots of respect for Mississippi St. football.

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 03:26 PM

No idea. I personally hope we beat the shit out of you guys, but that's just me. Safe travels, of course!

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Good stuff but I think the Daniels comparison may be a stretch. That guy has a pretty uncommon motor on him, love our interior guys but none of them have his kind of motor.

Big thing to know about our DL is how tall they are. DT Matt Nelson is 6'8, DE Anthony Nelson is 6'7, DE Epenesa 6'5... they can give QBs fits when they get their hands up but with your 6'5 QB he probably won't be as bothered by it.

Looking forward to this first time meeting. Lots of respect for Mississippi St. football.

Understand your point. I was speaking about Daniels with respect to his technique - which can be viewed, measured, evaluated, rated etc. Essentially, tangibles that can be fairly easily viewed and through standard evaluation process can be quantified/valued in the NFL marketplace. I agree that not all Iowa DTs carry with them the motor that Daniels has (a la Jared Devries, Karl Klug, Mitch King, and on and on), but perhaps the overriding point was that when you combine teaching/coaching/technique learned within a program system and an intangible asset like a 'motor', you get incredible results in a player like Daniels.

Lots of dudes have motors - but without the learned skills to compliment, in most cases they're working at the local Piggly Wiggly.

To be fair, I can see your where you're coming from. I didn't do a good job proving support/explanation in my initial post. My bad.

I'm just an old football guy trying to have a bit of fun. You know...for entertainment purposes only. :)

Looking forward to the game.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 03:44 PM

Iowa people do that. :)

The game will be what it will be.

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Iowa people do that. :)

The game will be what it will be.

Guys on this board don't understand class *** Bama fans are worse tho *

Scared_Hitless
12-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Most exciting part of this game will be seeing Kylin at 100% again. Go back and look at the beginning of the season vs the end he was a step slow and missed out on alot of long gains from being a little gimpy. I hope he looks more like the guy at KState running away from people then the 80% Kylin we have been getting. He is going to blow up next season health permitting.