PDA

View Full Version : Why Are So Many Retread Coaches Being Hired?

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Decent Monday discussion in which I'm curious for thoughts:

With the recent hires of Miles, Brown, McElwain, Herm, etc it's becoming a real trend that ADs are hiring older, retread types rather than up & coming young types & I'm just curious of your thoughts as to why?

I personally see 3 different reasons why this is happening:

1. ADs just want stability & find young coaches to be too risky. Job preservation for the AD.

2. There just aren't many known up & comers that are wanted.

3. Mid-tier schools are tired of young, up & coming coaches using their school as a stepping stone & thus gravitate towards older coaches that are looking to finish their career at one place & provide stability. The Ben Howland types

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Two of those have NC rings. One was the HC for the Florida gators in two SEC championship game teams.

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2018, 10:26 AM
A lot of the hot young names were hired last year. We got one of them. It takes a couple of years for new ones to heat up.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Two of those have NC rings. One was the HC for the Florida gators in two SEC championship game teams.

Sure. It's just not what has been happening over the past 5 years

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2018, 10:29 AM
A lot of the hot you get names were hired last year. We got one of them. It takes a couple of years for new ones to heat up.

Great point

lefty96
12-03-2018, 10:38 AM
I would also give a nod to aversion to hefty buy outs and risk.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Sure. It's just not what has been happening over the past 5 years

Brown is a smart coach. Make him head coach and get some young coordinators and where ever he goes they will win. Miles I don't think is as smart but he can recruit and load up a team. I am not sure about McElwain. He has won every where he has gone and I am not sure or not Florida would have had a winning season if he had stayed last season. I would not be happy with any of them if Cohen had hire them.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-03-2018, 02:44 PM
A lot of the hot young names were hired last year. We got one of them. It takes a couple of years for new ones to heat up.

18 FBS coaching changes last year
22 FCS coaching changes last year

That's a total of 40 coaches that went to new teams last year. Hard to pull a coach after only his first year with a team. So that's 40 names that basically aren't available this year. And why OM screwed up so bad last year by not getting someone besides the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Now they are going through another cycle of coaches changing schools. So if they want to get someone new next year they are going to have to do it without ever how many change schools this year, plus pretty much the 40 that changed last year. I don't see many of the 40 from last year wanting to go in that dumpster fire, unless it's a small name wanting more money, and certainly none that are going to change this year.

Bully13
12-03-2018, 02:47 PM
I don't understand how A human being can be HC of texas and win less than 9 per year.

TrapGame
12-03-2018, 02:50 PM
I don't understand how A human being can be HC of texas and win less than 9 per year.

Complacency and apathy. And bat shit crazy boosters with more money than a Saudi prince don't help either.

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Complacency and apathy. And bat shit crazy boosters with more money than a Saudi prince don't help either.

At least one of the boosters IS a Saudi Prince. I was on cruise a few years ago that docked at Monaco. The biggest boat in the harbor other than the cruise ship was a monster yacht that was flying a Longhorn flag. I looked up the yacht when we got home. It turns out it's owned by a very wealthy Saudi, at least an associate of the royal family if not one of them. He is also a Texas alumnus. He donated the money for one of their athletic complexes.

RocketDawg
12-03-2018, 05:50 PM

I still have trouble thinking of Moorhead as "young", but I suppose he is. He actually looks older than Saban.

IMissJack
12-03-2018, 09:00 PM

Mack and the horns really had some problems evaluating talent his last few years there. They were offering a lot of kids early, even juniors, and they just did not pan out, even thought the classes were ranked high (just because they are TX).

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 09:13 PM
I still have trouble thinking of Moorhead as "young", but I suppose he is. He actually looks older than Saban.

You saying he ain't older than Saban then ***

LC Dawg
12-03-2018, 09:21 PM
In 1991 Mississippi State needed a credible coach who would immediately lift their image, could actually coach, and wouldn't be likely to be hired away at the first sign of success. A "retread" coach was the perfect choice.
I see a little of this in some of these hires.

Todd4State
12-03-2018, 09:34 PM
I think some of it is with a place like Kansas especially if you hire someone like a Les Miles that instantly excites fans who otherwise are going to have very little interest in the football program. It is like LC said similar to when we hired Jackie. We were 5-6 and had lost to Ole Miss three years in a row and I think hiring Jackie gave us a shot in the arm and some excitement.

Also- when you hire an inexperienced coach you never know what you are going to get plus there usually is a learning curve.

DogsofAnarchy
12-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Because the younguns suck.

RougeDawg
12-04-2018, 09:15 AM
A retread coach who previously had success is the least risky option. You have an unknown with a coordinator who has never been a HC. Like purchasing a blue chip stock that performs well even during bad years vs a new tech stock that may skyrocket or hit all 00.000000?s.

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2018, 10:34 AM
At least one of the boosters IS a Saudi Prince. I was on cruise a few years ago that docked at Monaco. The biggest boat in the harbor other than the cruise ship was a monster yacht that was flying a Longhorn flag. I looked up the yacht when we got home. It turns out it's owned by a very wealthy Saudi, at least an associate of the royal family if not one of them. He is also a Texas alumnus. He donated the money for one of their athletic complexes.

Well great, now A&M is gonna have to get one.

was21
12-04-2018, 04:15 PM
At first glance, thought you typed retarded instead of retreaded.....probably would make more sense on second thought