PDA

View Full Version : Intro to the Hawkeyes

KnightHawk
12-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Thought I'd drop by here as well as the Six Pack Speak forum and share some wisdom on this year's edition of Hawkeye football.

It's been an up and down year, typical for Iowa with games that shoulda/coulda been won and most within one possession. When Iowa is playing well, they're damn near unbeatable, but when they don't (which it's quite a challenge for college players to execute an NFL system), things can get hairy.

Usually, when the Hawks are out-athleted in a game (which they will be against MSU), they rely on clean play, capitalizing on opponent mistakes, hidden yards and field position to keep things close. If the opponent plays clean for the most part, we probably don't have much of a chance because we just don't have a bunch of guys on offense able to make game-changing, explosive plays.

What you will get is a team that plays with 100% effort until the end, very few penalties, good balance on offense, a good offensive and defensive line and hard hits if we can get a good angle on the ball carriers.

Our offense has been sporadic. We really need to pass to set up the run as we haven't been able to just line up and maul many defenses with the exception of Nebraska. We have three RBs who are all decent, but not spectacular. We have a QB who has been as inconsistent as any QB can be. At times dropping dimes and at others just dropping the ball. TEs are the best in the nation, but one has left for the NFL. The better of the two will be playing in the bowl game. Can explain more about that if anyone is interested. WRs are okay. Will give more detail on individual players in a later post. Obviously, your salty defense will be a big test for our middling offense.

Defense has been quite solid. DL is the strength and goes 8 deep with the best of the bunch a backup (true story). The LBs were all new and probably the weak point due to lack of footspeed/agility. Safeties are solid with one being B10 DB of the year. The corners have been inconsistent as well. Geared to not give up the big play, typically play a softer zone coverage and make teams earn their way down the field. If you guys can move our DL, we're sunk. They've been better vs the pass than the run this year, so it will be interesting to see how well the LBs can step up to stuff your very good run game. I haven't watched a bunch of your games, but will over the next couple weeks and have a better idea of how we matchup for further thoughts on a prediction.

Look forward to some good give and take with you guys and would be happy to try to answer any questions y'all might have.

Political Hack
12-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Our QB is a bi-polar passer that can truck your LBs.

our defense is the best in the nation.

I still think Iowa plays close. Just going to struggle to score. We can too at times though. Stick around and chat. Should be a fun game.

KnightHawk
12-02-2018, 09:36 PM
Our QB is a bi-polar passer that can truck your LBs.

our defense is the best in the nation.

I still think Iowa plays close. Just going to struggle to score. We can too at times though. Stick around and chat. Should be a fun game.

Succinct is good:D

I agree, at first blush it needs to be low scoring for Iowa to have a chance.

Thanks for the reply!

Bully13
12-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Great post and Thanks for visiting.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Thought I'd drop by here as well as the Six Pack Speak forum and share some wisdom on this year's edition of Hawkeye football.

It's been an up and down year, typical for Iowa with games that shoulda/coulda been won and most within one possession. When Iowa is playing well, they're damn near unbeatable, but when they don't (which it's quite a challenge for college players to execute an NFL system), things can get hairy.

Usually, when the Hawks are out-athleted in a game Where will this be? Iowa may have the best athlete on the field in #94 and they'd have another in #87 if he didn't decide to turn pro early (which they will be against MSU), they rely on clean play, capitalizing on opponent mistakes, hidden yards and field position to keep things close. If the opponent plays clean for the most part, we probably don't have much of a chance because we just don't have a bunch of guys on offense able to make game-changing, explosive plays.

What you will get is a team that plays with 100% effort until the end, very few penalties, good balance on offense, a good offensive and defensive line and hard hits if we can get a good angle on the ball carriers.

Our offense has been sporadic. We really need to pass to set up the run as we haven't been able to just line up and maul many defenses with the exception of Nebraska. We have three RBs who are all decent, but not spectacular. We have a QB who has been as inconsistent as any QB can be. At times dropping dimes and at others just dropping the ball. TEs are the best in the nation, but one has left for the NFL. The better of the two will be playing in the bowl game. Can explain more about that if anyone is interested. WRs are okay. Will give more detail on individual players in a later post. Obviously, your salty defense will be a big test for our middling offense.

Defense has been quite solid. DL is the strength and goes 8 deep with the best of the bunch a backup (true story). The LBs were all new and probably the weak point due to lack of foots peed/agility. The LBs are young and quite agile. They have to be in our system. Safeties are solid with one being B10 DB of the year They are better than solid The corners have been inconsistent as well. Geared to not give up the big play, typically play a softer zone coverage and make teams earn their way down the field. They're the best tackling CB unit in the Big 10 when healthy . We don't play a lot of soft zone anymore If you guys can move our DL, we're sunk. They've been better vs the pass than the run this year, so it will be interesting to see how well the LBs can step up to stuff your very good run game. I haven't watched a bunch of your games, but will over the next couple weeks and have a better idea of how we matchup for further thoughts on a prediction.

Look forward to some good give and take with you guys and would be happy to try to answer any questions y'all might have.

Made some changes

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Made some changes

That's interesting. Best athlete on the field will be #94. I'll have to check that out.

KnightHawk
12-02-2018, 10:13 PM
Made some changes

As usual, they will be out-athleted on the perimeter at WR and CB. Also, I think the MSU RBs/QB are better athletes than our LBs. Niemann and Hockaday are not great athletes. They are good football players who make good reads, but to call them athletic is a big stretch.

We do still keep everything in front on the edges of the field and our CBs have been burned over the top despite this approach. They are talented, but very young. Iowa will not play a CB who doesn't provide good run support, that is true.

KnightHawk
12-02-2018, 10:14 PM
That's interesting. Best athlete on the field will be #94. I'll have to check that out.

He is a beast, and a second string DE at that. He will start his last 1-2 years at Iowa, for sure. Great pass rusher, but needs to be better in contain and run stopping.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 10:16 PM

I think he'll be gone after next season. In my opinion, he's the most talented defensive player I've seen at Iowa and I've going to games since 1980. (I'm 44 yrs old)

Political Hack
12-02-2018, 10:16 PM
He is a beast, and a second string DE at that. He will start his last 1-2 years at Iowa, for sure. Great pass rusher, but needs to be better in contain and run stopping.

Look up Mr. Simmons and Mr. Sweat. Two 1st rounders.

Dawgology
12-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Made some changes

94 the DE or the kicker? I think Simmons, Sweat, and Abrams are pretty good. Y’all will get to know them soon.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 10:17 PM
As usual, they will be out-athleted on the perimeter at WR and CB. Also, I think the MSU RBs/QB are better athletes than our LBs. Niemann and Hockaday are not great athletes. They are good football players who make good reads, but to call them athletic is a big stretch.

We do still keep everything in front on the edges of the field and our CBs have been burned over the top despite this approach. They are talented, but very young. Iowa will not play a CB who doesn't provide good run support, that is true.

Our CBs are actually pretty athletic. This isn't 2002. They're young, deep, tall and can tackle. As for the RBs, they're all sophomores and our QB is a pro-style 6-5 240# type, so yea, he's not a huge threat to take off and run but I think WR is the only position we've had issues at.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 10:18 PM
94 the DE or the kicker? I think Simmons, Sweat, and Abrams are pretty good. Y’all will get to know them soon.

DE

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 10:20 PM

94 probably is the best athlete but he'll be the 94 wearing maroon and white not black and gold,

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 10:29 PM
I honestly think our game could go either way. Two good offensive teams and we have struggled against good defenses on offense.

Our QB has a lot of physical talent but he reads defenses SLOOOOOWWWWWLLLLYYY. He's the best rushing QB in SEC history though per the stats.

Our RB's are both really good. Hill is explosive but a liability in pass protection and Aeris is a very good SEC back who isn't as explosive but is more consistent.

WR's are inconsistent at catching the ball but improved throughout the year. Our TE is a good player.

The o-line is big and our center is probably the top center prospect in the NFL draft and Daryl Williams our LG is a NFL guy next year. Our OT's are young and have struggled against elite pass rushers but are both good players who are still developing.

Our d-line is sick. We have two potential first round picks at DE and DT and then we start two seniors who are very good and will probably be drafted next year as well. Our second team defensive line is pretty solid as well and has a lot of experience.

We're pretty solid at LB. Willie Gay is starting to come into his own and Errol Thompson is a very good MLB who makes plays and is a very good leader.

We have two corners who are probably going to play in the NFL. They're both long and physical. Our third CB- Smitherman is a good player as well.

Both of our safeties are seniors. Abrams is probably a first round pick and is an absolute badass. The other safety McLaurin is a very smart player who will play on Sunday's as well.

Our kicker is solid. Punter has been inconsistent but better lately. Return game is acceptable.

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 10:29 PM
94 probably is the best athlete but he'll be the 94 wearing maroon and white not black and gold,

This is true.

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Anyone else notice how much we sound like Iowa?

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Sounds like it might be 0-0 after regulation.

KnightHawk
12-02-2018, 10:48 PM

Yep. I think your defense is probably a bit better than ours, but our balanced offense might be a bit more effective than your run-heavy offense. Haven't watched enough of MSU to know a ton of what to expect yet, just going off of stats and what you guys have said.

Game will probably come down to mistakes/turnovers/special teams.

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Just know this about our safety, Abrams. He shut down the spring game early last year by absolutely laying out our RB. Pissed our former coach off so badly he just sent the team to the locker room. He has no conscience. None. He's a land based missile with very bad intentions out on the field. Think Ronnie Lott in a bad mood.

KnightHawk
12-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Just know this about our safety, Abrams. He shut down the spring game early last year by absolutely laying out our RB. Pissed our former coach off so badly he just sent the team to the locker room. He has no conscience. None. He's a land based missile with very bad intentions out on the field. Think Ronnie Lott in a bad mood.

We had one of those in Bob Sanders as well. They kept him out of contact drills to prevent him from injuring any of his teammates. Love those kind of players.

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 11:22 PM

He'll always have a special place in my heart for bitch slapping AJ Brown.

Jack Lambert
12-02-2018, 11:42 PM
Yep. I think your defense is probably a bit better than ours, but our balanced offense might be a bit more effective than your run-heavy offense. Haven't watched enough of MSU to know a ton of what to expect yet, just going off of stats and what you guys have said.

if you are going off stats our offense has gone up against the defenses of LSU, Auburn, A&M, Bama and Florida. Look up the defensive stats of those teams and throw in having a new play book dropped on the offense you will know why the offensive numbers are low. However the offense is a lot better today. I am not taking away from your defense because they are good but there is no way they have the speed of those five defenses.

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 11:45 PM

I'm gonna miss that dude. Safeties like that aren't a dime a dozen.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 11:46 PM
Iowa does well against running QBs that aren't a real danger to throw deep downfield. It'll be tough to run wide on our base 4-3 but guys like Trace McSorely at PSU or Martinez at Nebraska who can run and throw will give us issues.

Dawg61
12-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Made some changes

Lol bruh we play Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Kentucky, Texas A&M and Ole Miss every year. We have to have a roster filled with athletes to handle an SEC schedule. Iowa won't have the best athletes on the field vs MSU. Our defense gave up 12 tds all season. Bama gave up 21. Will Iowa have smarter players? Yes you will. Stick to that for your smack talk.

bulldawg28
12-03-2018, 12:22 AM

Your offense might be balanced , prolific, and even extraordinary . However, Iowa isn't scoring more than 13 points.

Commercecomet24
12-03-2018, 12:24 AM
Your offense might be balanced , prolific, and even extraordinary . However, Iowa isn't scoring more than 13 points.

Right on, I don't think they'll score more than 7 though

Political Hack
12-03-2018, 12:36 AM
I don't think they'll see the end zone more than once to be honest. 12 TDs all season against SEC speed. That spells trouble for the Hawkeyes.

I do think we'll struggle to move the ball consistently against them too, but we'll hit a few big plays to get us into scoring position. We just have to convert in the red zone and we win.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-03-2018, 01:38 AM
Lol bruh we play Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Kentucky, Texas A&M and Ole Miss every year. We have to have a roster filled with athletes to handle an SEC schedule. Iowa won't have the best athletes on the field vs MSU. Our defense gave up 12 tds all season. Bama gave up 21. Will Iowa have smarter players? Yes you will. Stick to that for your smack talk.

It wasn’t really smack talk. Don’t be so sensitive. Alabama and LSU I can understand but adding Kentucky and Ole Miss to that comparison? They’re not generally regarded as overly decent programs by any stretch of the imagination. We can compare NFL numbers if you want to dismiss Iowa completely. These two teams are awfully even talent-wise. I just brought up #94 because he has a chance to be a top 5 NFL draft pick after the ?19 season.

Bothrops
12-03-2018, 01:44 AM
Many teams show up flat in bowl games, you see it every year. That will get you beat, or make it too close for comfort. We need to be motivated to play, and not let having fun get us out of football mode. Happened to us in Miami.

Pit Bull
12-03-2018, 02:10 AM
Mr. Hawkeye....I think all this narrative you're reading here basically boils down to a low scoring hard hitting physical game. Neither Iowa or MSU offense is going to scare anybody, but both of our defensive units will. So, look for maybe some key turnover or breakdown in the kicking game to be the difference. I see a 17-14 type game either way.

Dawg61
12-03-2018, 02:17 AM
It wasn’t really smack talk. Don’t be so sensitive. Alabama and LSU I can understand but adding Kentucky and Ole Miss to that comparison? They’re not generally regarded as overly decent programs by any stretch of the imagination. We can compare NFL numbers if you want to dismiss Iowa completely. These two teams are awfully even talent-wise. I just brought up #94 because he has a chance to be a top 5 NFL draft pick after the ?19 season.

I'm not dismissing Iowa I know you have a tough program. I picture this year's Iowa kinda like LSU but with a worse offense and a much slower defense but every bit as tough. That's reflected in your scores this year where you hung tough with teams like Wisconsin and Northwestern but came up short. That's kinda how I picture this bowl game going. Iowa hanging tough and giving us a great game but in the end it's MSU 31 and Iowa 13.

Commercecomet24
12-03-2018, 02:25 AM
Iowa has always been a tough physical team. That being said while they may have a good defense our defense is elite and it's not that close. We have given up 12 tds against the #5 sos, Iowa 26 tds against #34 sos. Our offenses maybe comparable but the defenses, big edge to us. I can't see Iowa scoring more than 7.

msbulldog
12-03-2018, 07:52 AM

We gave Alabama all they could handle the last 2 years. Put that in your pipe.

Bubb Rubb
12-03-2018, 08:03 AM

Our defense is better by a long shot. Offense, well, I'm less confident there.

The big difference between big 10 and sec football is defensive line play. Down here, almost all of them are 300 lbs and can run, and are virtually unblockable. Ours is the best in the country with two all Americans on it. We have a headhunting safety and some outstanding LBs that make a lot of tackles because they are free to the ball...and that is usually because it takes most teams at least 6 guys to block our front 4.

RocketDawg
12-03-2018, 08:20 AM

You can say that again. Kentucky really surprised us this year, even though our longtime record against them is about even. There are weak spots in the SEC, and Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, and us are generally the considered weaker teams. We've been better than "normal" the last few years, and Kentucky was a huge surprise, I think, for most of our fans.

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2018, 08:52 AM

He isn't talking about your 94.

Tbonewannabe
12-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Iowa does well against running QBs that aren't a real danger to throw deep downfield. It'll be tough to run wide on our base 4-3 but guys like Trace McSorely at PSU or Martinez at Nebraska who can run and throw will give us issues.

Nick Fitzgerald is the best running QB in SEC History. He just broke Tim Tebow's rushing record and he broke MSU's rushing TD record held by our former RB who actually led the SEC in rushing the year that Mark Ingram for Bama won the Heisman.

Fitz is a less accurate Lamar Jackson. He is 6'5" 230-240 lb but probably runs a 4.5-4.6. Prior to his ankle injury in the last regular season game in 2017, he was pretty much fast enough to never get caught from behind but strong enough to drag LBs for an extra 5 yards after contact. He has a cannon for an arm but that might lead to as many issues as it benefits him. He is just as liable to overthrow someone 60 yards downfield as actually complete the pass. He doesn't really have touch on the ball so his completion percentage isn't great. He also doesn't read defenses very quickly. He rarely throws to the checkdown man even if he is wide open. He would more often throw into double coverage or just run (we prefer that he run).

Tbonewannabe
12-03-2018, 09:09 AM

Kentucky would normally not be in that conversation except this year. They have a top 15 type defense and have one of the better Running backs in the SEC. They won 9 games by wearing people down with their running game and let their defense win games. That is actually how we won against Auburn and A&M. I don't understand why the poster included Ole Miss because they aren't good this year.

Lord McBuckethead
12-03-2018, 09:17 AM
No offense, but we heard this same stuff from the Kansas State fans. There is just a difference in the conference you play in versus ours. You may be average to good in your conference, but in ours you would be 12th or 13th depending on if you could beat Arkansas.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 09:28 AM
I'm not dismissing Iowa I know you have a tough program. I picture this year's Iowa kinda like LSU but with a worse offense and a much slower defense but every bit as tough. That's reflected in your scores this year where you hung tough with teams like Wisconsin and Northwestern but came up short. That's kinda how I picture this bowl game going. Iowa hanging tough and giving us a great game but in the end it's MSU 31 and Iowa 13.

Everyone thought Michigan was going to kill USCe last Outback bowl. Speed kills.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Our CBs are actually pretty athletic. This isn't 2002. They're young, deep, tall and can tackle. As for the RBs, they're all sophomores and our QB is a pro-style 6-5 240# type, so yea, he's not a huge threat to take off and run but I think WR is the only position we've had issues at.

Our guys sacked Tua four times. I don't think your O-line is as good as Bama's and Tua is not a Pro-style QB.

Apoplectic
12-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Usually, when the Hawks are out-athleted in a game (which they will be against MSU), they rely on clean play, capitalizing on opponent mistakes, hidden yards and field position to keep things close. If the opponent plays clean for the most part, we probably don't have much of a chance because we just don't have a bunch of guys on offense able to make game-changing, explosive plays.

Defense has been quite solid. DL is the strength and goes 8 deep with the best of the bunch a backup (true story). The LBs were all new and probably the weak point due to lack of footspeed/agility. Safeties are solid with one being B10 DB of the year. The corners have been inconsistent as well. Geared to not give up the big play, typically play a softer zone coverage and make teams earn their way down the field. If you guys can move our DL, we're sunk. They've been better vs the pass than the run this year, so it will be interesting to see how well the LBs can step up to stuff your very good run game. I haven't watched a bunch of your games, but will over the next couple weeks and have a better idea of how we matchup for further thoughts on a prediction.

i wish the game was at ur place - i?ve added ur stadium to my sports bucket list to see the wave

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Our guys sacked Tua four times. I don't think your O-line is as good as Bama's and Tua is not a Pro-style QB.

I'm betting their Oline might be as good as Bama's. Bama's Oline sucks.

louisvilledawg
12-03-2018, 10:15 AM
I honestly think our game could go either way. Two good offensive teams and we have struggled against good defenses on offense.

Our QB has a lot of physical talent but he reads defenses SLOOOOOWWWWWLLLLYYY. He's the best rushing QB in SEC history though per the stats.

Our RB's are both really good. Hill is explosive but a liability in pass protection and Aeris is a very good SEC back who isn't as explosive but is more consistent.

WR's are inconsistent at catching the ball but improved throughout the year. Our TE is a good player.

The o-line is big and our center is probably the top center prospect in the NFL draft and Daryl Williams our LG is a NFL guy next year. Our OT's are young and have struggled against elite pass rushers but are both good players who are still developing.

Our d-line is sick. We have two potential first round picks at DE and DT and then we start two seniors who are very good and will probably be drafted next year as well. Our second team defensive line is pretty solid as well and has a lot of experience.

We're pretty solid at LB. Willie Gay is starting to come into his own and Errol Thompson is a very good MLB who makes plays and is a very good leader.

We have two corners who are probably going to play in the NFL. They're both long and physical. Our third CB- Smitherman is a good player as well.

Both of our safeties are seniors. Abrams is probably a first round pick and is an absolute badass. The other safety McLaurin is a very smart player who will play on Sunday's as well.

Our kicker is solid. Punter has been inconsistent but better lately. Return game is acceptable.

We have no one on our team named Abrams

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm betting their Oline might be as good as Bama's. Bama's Oline sucks.

Put Bama's o line in the big 10 and see how much they improve. Every week in the SEC play they face 300 pound D lineman who run 4.7 to 5.0 forties. Does their O line even have a 3 star?

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Put Bama's o line in the big 10 and see how much they improve. Every week in the SEC play they face 300 pound D lineman who run 4.7 to 5.0 forties. Does their O line even have a 3 star?

I'm pretty sure that historically, Iowa puts Olinemen into NFL on a pretty frequent basis. Not sure what they have this year tho. Bama may have 1 or at most 2 NFL Olineman on their starting Oline.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty sure that historically, Iowa puts Olinemen into NFL on a pretty frequent basis. Not sure what they have this year tho. Bama may have 1 or at most 2 NFL Olineman on their starting Oline.

So has every p 5 school. Bama has a good o line and Iowa does not face the same quality of d line Bama faces every SEC Saturday. If Bama line isn't any good then no line in the SEC isn't any good.

sleepy dawg
12-03-2018, 11:05 AM
This won't be a blowout like many MSU fans are thinking. Iowa is very good and so are we. Like MSU, they are underrated and better than their record indicates. We are very fortunate they'll be without their star TE. We don't need two bad ass TE's flying down the field every play creating mismatches.

Our results this year have been very much dependent on the quality of defense we're facing. We've dominated teams who don't have a good defense and we've lost and struggled to all those that do. Iowa has a good defense. In my opinion, the Outback bowl features the 2 best 8-4 teams in the country and I really wish we were playing a 9-3 or 10-2 team so we could get more credit because the uninformed fan won't realize just how good these 2 teams really are. Vegas has us as the number 8 team right now and Iowa as the number 16 team with only about 2.2 points separating us on a neutral field (with their best offensive player). There's a reason the line opened up so low. They have Iowa as a better team than A&M, UCF, Florida, and Auburn. The line is only bigger now b/c of betting, but Vegas expects this to be a close game and it very likely will be.

Johnson85
12-03-2018, 11:10 AM

As far as offense, it wouldn't really matter. I've watched every game and I still don't know what to expect from our offense except that against bad defenses we will look like world beaters, and against really good defenses, we will look like the players didn't get to see the playbook until 15 minutes before kickoff.

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 11:14 AM
This won't be a blowout like many MSU fans are thinking. Iowa is very good and so are we. Like MSU, they are underrated and better than their record indicates. We are very fortunate they'll be without their star TE. We don't need two bad ass TE's flying down the field every play creating mismatches.

Our results this year have been very much dependent on the quality of defense we're facing. We've dominated teams who don't have a good defense and we've lost and struggled to all those that do. Iowa has a good defense. In my opinion, the Outback bowl features the 2 best 8-4 teams in the country and I really wish we were playing a 9-3 or 10-2 team so we could get more credit because the uninformed fan won't realize just how good these 2 teams really are. Vegas has us as the number 8 team right now and Iowa as the number 16 team with only about 2.2 points separating us on a neutral field (with their best offensive player). There's a reason the line opened up so low. They have Iowa as a better team than A&M, UCF, Florida, and Auburn. The line is only bigger now b/c of betting, but Vegas expects this to be a close game and it very likely will be.

Nice, well informed post. Thanks!

What I'm starting to see is that we will need to be running straight at you between the tackles. Perimeter runs aren't going to work due to the speed of your DEs and LBs. Our OL is very good at pass blocking, it will come down to which version of Nate Stanley shows up. He's been well regarded by NFL draft guys, but hasn't been consistent at all.

Dawgology
12-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Statistically both of these teams are VERY similar. At no point this season has Iowa been blown out. Their defense has kept them in every game they have played. It appears that their offense focuses on the pass a bit more but neither their passing or running game is anything to write home about....much like MSU.

I think this will be a line of scrimmage game. Whoever wins the battle upfront will win the game. If our Oline can get some push or Fitz can complete some passes we could get rolling on them but this season it appears our offense can't compete against legit defenses so I don't see that happening. Our D will need to get pressure on the QB and cause some turnovers or pick-6's for us to score.

That being said, I predict a MSU win. 7-2

Our D gets a pick 6 and their D gets a safety. HAHAHA

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Statistically both of these teams are VERY similar. At no point this season has Iowa been blown out. Their defense has kept them in every game they have played. It appears that their offense focuses on the pass a bit more but neither their passing or running game is anything to write home about....much like MSU.

I think this will be a line of scrimmage game. Whoever wins the battle upfront will win the game. If our Oline can get some push or Fitz can complete some passes we could get rolling on them but this season it appears our offense can't compete against legit defenses so I don't see that happening. Our D will need to get pressure on the QB and cause some turnovers or pick-6's for us to score.

That being said, I predict a MSU win. 7-2

Our D gets a pick 6 and their D gets a safety. HAHAHA

We did beat Penn St. 6-4 several years ago. Set football back about 30 years.

Dawgology
12-03-2018, 11:43 AM

Going to have to look up that barnburner on youtube.

InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
12-03-2018, 11:50 AM
What many of my fellow Hawkeyes have failed to mention is that our team hasn't showed up for a bowl games in many years. No, last year against BC in sub zero temps doesn't count.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 11:58 AM

We have that one beat with a 3-2 lose to Auburn.

PMDawg
12-03-2018, 11:59 AM
No offense, but we heard this same stuff from the Kansas State fans. There is just a difference in the conference you play in versus ours. You may be average to good in your conference, but in ours you would be 12th or 13th depending on if you could beat Arkansas.

No offense, but this sounds a lot like what our own fans said heading into the Kentucky game.

Iowa is a tough team, and similar to us in a lot of ways. I don't expect a lot of offense either way. It's hard to predict bowl games anyway, because you never know which teams will "care". I think it will be low scoring and close. We have 3 early rounders on defense - will they even chance injury to play? I suspect so, but will they be "all in"?

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 11:59 AM
What many of my fellow Hawkeyes have failed to mention is that our team hasn't showed up for a bowl games in many years. No, last year against BC in sub zero temps doesn't count.

Every school is subject to that unless the school is a G 5 in a NY6 Bowl. Also some P5 schools who do not go to NY6 bowls a lot will get fired up for them but those who go every year might have a let down.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Off the top of my head, Iowa has at least 8 OL in the NFL on 53 man rosters. Alabama has like 9 or 10 (but, a WHOLE lot more skill players). 6 of the 8 for Iowa in the NFL are starters - including Marshall Yanda for the Ravens, widely considered the best OL in the NFL. There's also Blythe for the Rams, Bulaga for the Packers, Rieff for the Vikings, Schereff for the Redskins, etc.

Interesting tid-bit: One of Alabama's better 2018 OL (4 year starter, but not in the same class as Jonah Williams) is Ross Peirschbacher, who hails from...wait for it...Iowa.

Iowa churns out solid NFL OL. HC Kirf Ferentz was the OL coach @ Iowa back in the 80s as well as OL coach for the Browns (on the same staff as Belechick and Saban) in the 90s before the move to Baltimore imploded the staff.

timotheus
12-03-2018, 12:33 PM
The key to the game will be how much the Iowa QB has to scramble or be forced from the pocket. special teams will be critical and I hope it does not rain.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-03-2018, 12:35 PM
I agree with that. Don’t let the play action catch you off balance and put pressure on him

Recreationalgynecologist
12-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Alabama’s best OL player is from Iowa

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Off the top of my head, Iowa has at least 8 OL in the NFL on 53 man rosters. Alabama has like 9 or 10 (but, a WHOLE lot more skill players). 6 of the 8 for Iowa in the NFL are starters - including Marshall Yanda for the Ravens, widely considered the best OL in the NFL. There's also Blythe for the Rams, Bulaga for the Packers, Rieff for the Vikings, Schereff for the Redskins, etc.

Interesting tid-bit: One of Alabama's better 2018 OL (4 year starter, but not in the same class as Jonah Williams) is Ross Peirschbacher, who hails from...wait for it...Iowa.

Iowa churns out solid NFL OL. HC Kirf Ferentz was the OL coach @ Iowa back in the 80s as well as OL coach for the Browns (on the same staff as Belechick and Saban) in the 90s before the move to Baltimore imploded the staff.

I was somewhat aware of that. Big rawboned, corn fed country boys that weigh about 260 or so in HS but can grow bigger works pretty good when recruiting for Olinemen. I always wanted Mullen to go up into the midwest towards Iowa and hunt for Olinemen. He didn't like to recruit further than 200 or so mile radius to Starkville tho. Moorhead seems to be more inclined to do something like that.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-03-2018, 12:48 PM

300lb DT?s who run 4.7 40’s? Most are in the 4.9-5.2 range.

The only people who say that are the ones that never played the game past junior high. Very, very few do that and OL/DL isn?t an issue in the Big 10 or SEC.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Both OT’s are sophomores and will end up in the NFL. We’d have three but James Daniels left early and is a starter for the Bears

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 12:51 PM
So has every p 5 school. Bama has a good o line and Iowa does not face the same quality of d line Bama faces every SEC Saturday. If Bama line isn't any good then no line in the SEC isn't any good.

Let me rephrase. Bama's Oline is just ok. They suck compared to the 2012 line and it ain't close. And they really aren't that good at that. When you have to grab Ga's Dline by their arms as they're blowing past you to protect Hurts, they just ain't that good. They get to hold more than everyone else gets to. See AU TD that was called back against Bama for a reference point.

I think our Oline can run block much better than Bama's ... when they ain't confused about whether it's a run or pass.

Bubb Rubb
12-03-2018, 12:54 PM
300lb DT?s who run 4.7 40’s? Most are in the 4.9-5.2 range.

The only people who say that are the ones that never played the game past junior high. Very, very few do that and OL/DL isn?t an issue in the Big 10 or SEC.

Our own coach, who was an OC in the Big 10 for two years prior, has said the biggest adjustment to him with his offensive philosophy is accounting for the strength and speed of the DL in the SEC. It's a big difference and it's no joke.

Bubb Rubb
12-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Both OT’s are sophomores and will end up in the NFL. We’d have three but James Daniels left early and is a starter for the Bears

I have long wished that State would recruit the midwest for OLs. Ability and talent on your offensive line is not the issue. Preparing for the type of talent you're going to see on the defensive line is the issue. Your guys can't hit the gym hard for one month, or replicate it in practice to prepare for it. Going through the SEC gauntlet week in and week out is what prepares you for it. You have great coaches and some good talent so I'm sure y'all will try to scheme against it, but it's going to be a big hurdle to overcome.

dawgday166
12-03-2018, 01:02 PM

I figure y'all probably put Olinemen in the league at least at the same rate and maybe a higher rate than Bama. What you don't see every game are Dlines across the board that are big and as fast as SEC. And you haven't seen one this year like ours. But y'all do produce quality NFL linemen without a doubt.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 01:21 PM
I was somewhat aware of that. Big rawboned, corn fed country boys that weigh about 260 or so in HS but can grow bigger works pretty good when recruiting for Olinemen. I always wanted Mullen to go up into the midwest towards Iowa and hunt for Olinemen. He didn't like to recruit further than 200 or so mile radius to Starkville tho. Moorhead seems to be more inclined to do something like that.

There are a lot of good, large framed lads in the midwest. Southern teams are missing the boat if they're not recruiting the midwest for big boys in the trenches (OL specifically...I think they've got it down on the DL side of things)...also, add in the work ethic and humility for these guys and it becomes a no brainer. The trick is identifying, attracting and developing.

A lot of Iowa's linemen are leaner than say, Wisconsin, when they get on campus...and many of them are TEs or QBs or DL in high school...but we get them on campus, put them through good S&C and have coaches who are rock solid at technique and fundamentals.

You'll see Iowa's line on Jan 1. and at first sight they won't look that big, but more like a group of power forwards. They're tall, but lean...300Lbs+ lean. And they have good feet, allowing Iowa to run zone blocking schemes. Completely different from the Badgers, who have a lot of girth/heft and work the philosophy over overpowering the opponent by mass. Either philosophy can work.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-03-2018, 02:51 PM
There are a lot of good, large framed lads in the midwest. Southern teams are missing the boat if they're not recruiting the midwest for big boys in the trenches (OL specifically...I think they've got it down on the DL side of things)...also, add in the work ethic and humility for these guys and it becomes a no brainer. The trick is identifying, attracting and developing.

A lot of Iowa's linemen are leaner than say, Wisconsin, when they get on campus...and many of them are TEs or QBs or DL in high school...but we get them on campus, put them through good S&C and have coaches who are rock solid at technique and fundamentals.

You'll see Iowa's line on Jan 1. and at first sight they won't look that big, but more like a group of power forwards. They're tall, but lean...300Lbs+ lean. And they have good feet, allowing Iowa to run zone blocking schemes. Completely different from the Badgers, who have a lot of girth/heft and work the philosophy over overpowering the opponent by mass. Either philosophy can work.

Badgers are pretty good laterally too. They?re also fairly tall and lean, they just don?t have a great QB

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Badgers are pretty good laterally too. They?re also fairly tall and lean, they just don?t have a great QB

They tend to have stiff hips and not move well in space, which may explain why they have less than 1/2 dozen OL in the NFL in spite of the reputation on the line they hold within the NCAA. And they'll have fewer as the NFL game evolves offensively....quickly.

I do agree that their QB sucks.

Peace.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 04:11 PM
They're tall, but lean...300Lbs+ lean. And they have good feet, a

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z4GgjkQKDI

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z4GgjkQKDI

No, talking about the OL. Got any video on your AA center?

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 04:28 PM
No, talking about the OL. Got any video on your AA center?

I was just trying to get a image of what you think tall 300 pound guy with good feet look like. :)

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 04:29 PM
I was just trying to get a image of what you think tall 300 pound guy with good feet look like. :)

I'm just trying to be a smartass:D

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 04:51 PM
I'm just trying to be a smartass:D

I am with you and I can take it just like I can dish it out.

KnightHawk
12-03-2018, 04:58 PM
I am with you and I can take it just like I can dish it out.

Appreciate that definitely. Check out AJ Epenesa for a comp to Simmons. Still just a sophomore, but really coming into his own.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Simmons is excellent. Along with Sweat and Abraham. Dantlzer is a very good player as well. Would love to have dudes like that playing for Iowa.

Comparing an OL and a DL is fairly ridiculous at any level - if you want to highlight athleticism, by and large the DL is going to win out from a visual perspective, especially when you compare/contrast B1G and SEC. No question...SEC and DL overall are the winners. But, we're good.

And, no, Iowa doesn't have a DL like Simmons.

Other than Gabe Jackson, is there another Mississippi State former player/alumnus who currently plays on the OL for an NFL team? Having watched quite a bit of MSU video from this year, doesn't look like OL is a priority (and with due respect, your first year coach Joe Moorhead needs time to recruit and integrate his guys).

To paraphrase Dean Wormer from Animal House: "Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to run an offensive line".

Having fun. :)

PS. Abraham is a potential liability for this game, just in terms of the play action Iowa implements and his overall aggressiveness. Happens to the best of them (See Bob Sanders, Iowa, 2004 Outback Bowl vs. Florida - former D player of the year NFL as a safety with the Colts - complete land-based missile, like Abraham). There is risk at that spot.

Theiacowtipper
12-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Peace and greetings from the land of corn. A point to remember, Iowa?s offensive line excels at pass protection, giving up about one sack per game. They were not nearly as good at run blocking, although they did much better at the end of the year.

Iowa?s defense is built to make you drive the length of the field, converting multiple third downs. The key to beating that is patience. Should be a great game. I saw that Iowa is the only unranked team playing in New Years Day.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Peace and greetings from the land of corn. A point to remember, Iowa?s offensive line excels at pass protection, giving up about one sack per game. They were not nearly as good at run blocking, although they did much better at the end of the year.

Iowa?s defense is built to make you drive the length of the field, converting multiple third downs. The key to beating that is patience. Should be a great game. I saw that Iowa is the only unranked team playing in New Years Day.

State average making three sacks per game. Should be interesting.

Johnson85
12-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Other than Gabe Jackson, is there another Mississippi State former player/alumnus who currently plays on the OL for an NFL team? Having watched quite a bit of MSU video from this year, doesn't look like OL is a priority (and with due respect, your first year coach Joe Moorhead needs time to recruit and integrate his guys).

Our previous staff was challenged to say the least, when it came to recruiting OL. This is probably the best OL they put together, and it's probably due largely to assistants added in the last few years.

We've had several OL that have been able to bounce around practice squads, but none of our OL have really excelled at the NFL with the exception of Gabe. Martinas Rankin is a rookie and I think will also stick around.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Our previous staff was challenged to say the least, when it came to recruiting OL. This is probably the best OL they put together, and it's probably due largely to assistants added in the last few years.

We've had several OL that have been able to bounce around practice squads, but none of our OL have really excelled at the NFL with the exception of Gabe. Martinas Rankin is a rookie and I think will also stick around.

Ugh. Tough to have sustained success without a consistent / solid approach up front on the offensive side of the ball. Granted I?ve only watched 3 MSU games and a few highlights/recaps, but it looks more to be a communication issue than anything else - which puts tremendous pressure on skill players to overcome/out-atlhlete the situation. Tough sledding against better teams.

LC Dawg
12-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Question for you Iowa guys.
How stable is your coaching staff? This game seems pretty even and losing a coach or coaches sometimes swing bowl games. See our 2014 Orange Bowl as an example.
Our defensive coordinator's name has come up for a job or two and losing him before the bowl game would hurt us.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2018, 07:40 PM
How stable is your coaching staff? This game seems pretty even and losing a coach or coaches sometimes swing bowl games. See our 2014 Orange Bowl as an example.
Our defensive coordinator's name has come up for a job or two and losing him before the bowl game would hurt us.

I was thinking the game seems pretty even so lets start comparing women.

IowaFan
12-04-2018, 01:46 PM

The only balance our O has is inept balance.
If Iowa scores 10 offensive points I'll be shocked.
Prepare to see our awful rugby punter punt about 14 times.

You guys should load the box all day long, and we will STILL try and run the ball.
Our "big arm, NFL body" (lolz!!) QB won't be able to hit anybody, either because they won't get open (likely), or Stanley will simply miss (very likely).
Sure, Hockenson will get some catches, but I don't see a whole lot of production on offense.
Pretty cool, our WR Brandon Smith, who is coming along nicely, is from MS. You don't see a kid from MS play in IA every day.

MSU 27 - Iowa 6.

Jack Lambert
12-04-2018, 02:15 PM
The only balance our O has is inept balance.
If Iowa scores 10 offensive points I'll be shocked.
Prepare to see our awful rugby punter punt about 14 times.

You guys should load the box all day long, and we will STILL try and run the ball.
Our "big arm, NFL body" (lolz!!) QB won't be able to hit anybody, either because they won't get open (likely), or Stanley will simply miss (very likely).
Sure, Hockenson will get some catches, but I don't see a whole lot of production on offense.
Pretty cool, our WR Brandon Smith, who is coming along nicely, is from MS. You don't see a kid from MS play in IA every day.

MSU 27 - Iowa 6.

You're not a Iowas State Fan are you?:)

IowaFan
12-04-2018, 02:27 PM

LOL no.
Just been an Iowa fan long enough to know what to expect, not what I hope.

Up until our last Outback Bowl, I was confident Iowa's hit-em-in-the-mouth playing style could perhaps make up for any athletic disadvantage we might have on the field.
Well, that game didn't turn out as expected.

So now, Iowa, with a QB who has stunk since Maryland, and no real weapons outside a great TE, will be facing the best defense they've seen all year.
Yeah.

Jack Lambert
12-04-2018, 02:44 PM
LOL no.
Just been an Iowa fan long enough to know what to expect, not what I hope.

Up until our last Outback Bowl, I was confident Iowa's hit-em-in-the-mouth playing style could perhaps make up for any athletic disadvantage we might have on the field.
Well, that game didn't turn out as expected.

So now, Iowa, with a QB who has stunk since Maryland, and no real weapons outside a great TE, will be facing the best defense they've seen all year.
Yeah.

We have many Miss State fans the same way. I was only messing with you.

IowaFan
12-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Ha. Yeah I figured.
You all seem like a cool bunch of fans.
Hopefully we get a great game.

Johnson85
12-04-2018, 03:36 PM
Ugh. Tough to have sustained success without a consistent / solid approach up front on the offensive side of the ball. Granted I?ve only watched 3 MSU games and a few highlights/recaps, but it looks more to be a communication issue than anything else - which puts tremendous pressure on skill players to overcome/out-atlhlete the situation. Tough sledding against better teams.

That is correct for this year. We are solid on the offensive line talent wise. We had major issues adjusting to the new offense, and then while our OTs are solid and might end up in the NFL (one as a guard), they were not ready to handle really good pass rushers without help, and we basically tried to do that against UK and Florida, and managed to shutdown our offense while giving some draft prospects some great highlight reels to discuss in their interviews with NFL GMs.

Bully13
12-04-2018, 03:47 PM
We've been shitting the bed for 10 years in OL Crootin. Our coaches and OL players have over performed for the most part thankfully

Prediction? Pain.
12-04-2018, 04:03 PM

The OL's pass-blocking in Moorhead's first year took a major step back. In 2016 and 2017, our OL excelled at this -- 32nd nationally in sack-rate on passing downs and 11th nationally in sack rate on all other downs in 2016, and 17th and 20th in those categories in 2017. This year . . . yikes: 86th and 119th. Given that we returned essentially our entire line from last year, this squarely falls on the coaches for a poor transition to our current pass scheme. I haven't (and am probably not qualified) to study the tape on this, but I'm guessing the problems have been a combination of all involved -- QB not knowing his reads or making them fast enough, WRs not always getting their routes or timing right, and OL missing assignments. This wasn't a problem in every game against a quality defense -- for instance, though Auburn's D is 15th nationally in sacks, we allowed none on 17 pass attempts -- it was often enough (as even your limited exposure to our team revealed). So yeah, pass blocking will likely once again be something to watch in the bowl game given Iowa's solid pass rush.

I will say, though, that the OL's run-blocking was been mostly solid, just as it was last year. We're 13th nationally in "stuff rate" (preventing runs of zero or less yards) and 2nd nationally in percentage of runs that gain at least 4 yards. (We're also Top 5 nationally in all of the S&P+ system's "line yard" rankings.) Or, if traditional stats are your bag, we're 9th nationally in yards per carry and 14th nationally at preventing TFLs.

Hawkeyegoofball
12-04-2018, 05:21 PM
State average making three sacks per game. Should be interesting.

Agree, Jack.

Iowa makes an average of 2.83 sacks a game. Below MSUs average.

Also in terms of sacks allowed - Iowa gives up an average of 1.08 sacks per game (13 total for -79 yards) and MSU averages 2.0 (24 total for -204 yards).

dawgday166
12-04-2018, 05:25 PM
The OL's pass-blocking in Moorhead's first year took a major step back. In 2016 and 2017, our OL excelled at this -- 32nd nationally in sack-rate on passing downs and 11th nationally in sack rate on all other downs in 2016, and 17th and 20th in those categories in 2017. This year . . . yikes: 86th and 119th. Given that we returned essentially our entire line from last year, this squarely falls on the coaches for a poor transition to our current pass scheme. I haven't (and am probably not qualified) to study the tape on this, but I'm guessing the problems have been a combination of all involved -- QB not knowing his reads or making them fast enough, WRs not always getting their routes or timing right, and OL missing assignments. This wasn't a problem in every game against a quality defense -- for instance, though Auburn's D is 15th nationally in sacks, we allowed none on 17 pass attempts -- it was often enough (as even your limited exposure to our team revealed). So yeah, pass blocking will likely once again be something to watch in the bowl game given Iowa's solid pass rush.

I will say, though, that the OL's run-blocking was been mostly solid, just as it was last year. We're 13th nationally in "stuff rate" (preventing runs of zero or less yards) and 2nd nationally in percentage of runs that gain at least 4 yards. (We're also Top 5 nationally in all of the S&P+ system's "line yard" rankings.) Or, if traditional stats are your bag, we're 9th nationally in yards per carry and 14th nationally at preventing TFLs.

Pain is the stats man!

KnightHawk
12-04-2018, 05:36 PM
So there are lies, damn lies and then statistics, right?

Gonzo
12-04-2018, 07:35 PM

We've had two head coaches since 1979. You basically have to take a crap on the ADs doorstep to be asked to leave as a coach at Iowa, whether it's HC, coordinator or whatever. And we don't have a lot of assistants who are coveted by other programs. Very, very little turnover.

Bully13
12-04-2018, 07:36 PM
We've had two head coaches since 1979. You basically have to take a crap on the ADs doorstep to be asked to leave as a coach at Iowa, whether it's HC, coordinator or whatever. And we don't have a lot of assistants who are coveted by other programs. Very, very little turnover.

Impressive.

Gonzo
12-04-2018, 07:38 PM
I was thinking the game seems pretty even so lets start comparing women.

"The prettiest girls in the world live in Des Moines."
- Jack Kerouac

Recreationalgynecologist
12-04-2018, 10:42 PM
I thought LSU was a bunch of out of shape poofs in a previous Outback Bowl. Are they known to fake injuries in order to catch their breath?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=auV85Hi1kXk

Bothrops
12-06-2018, 03:46 AM
WR Brandon Smith, who is coming along nicely, is from MS. You don't see a kid from MS play in IA every day.

I remember this kid, he was from somewhere way up in the Delta and some folks around here were wanting us to offer him.

Lord McBuckethead
12-06-2018, 09:55 AM
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751&page=1
Not that it adds anything to the conversation, but Iowa fans remind me of this guy arguing about the number of workouts he can get in a weeks time on average.

fieldcorporal
12-06-2018, 11:12 AM
"LSU fakes injury to beat Iowa in the Outback Bowl"

operative words:

"...beat Iowa..."

parabrave
12-06-2018, 11:28 AM

You don't have a cousin named MSstate7 or C34 do you?

Dawg61
12-06-2018, 11:32 AM
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751&page=1
Not that it adds anything to the conversation, but Iowa fans remind me of this guy arguing about the number of workouts he can get in a weeks time on average.

Lol that thread is gold

Jack Lambert
12-06-2018, 11:56 AM
You don't have a cousin named MSstate7 or C34 do you?

I don't think I know them. I might. I know who C34 is so I know I don't know him but the other I don't know if I know them or not.

parabrave
12-06-2018, 06:24 PM
I don't think I know them. I might. I know who C34 is so I know I don't know him but the other I don't know if I know them or not.

Sorry Marine I was referring to Iowafans' comment that you replied to.

KnightHawk
12-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Sorry Marine I was referring to Iowafans' comment that you replied to.

Pretty easy to pick out, aren't they.