View Full Version : Outback vs. Iowa

Wade Garrett
12-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Gonna be a low scoring game

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Justice served for MSU

Let's go pack that place out.

I love Big 10 tears more than any other.

DownwardDawg
12-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Don’t tell Homedog. He may not be able to handle it.

maroonmania
12-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Think I'll go eat at Outback tonight.

Dawgology
12-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Yep I’ve been bitching for 20 years...now I have to go.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 04:37 PM
It's always cool to beat the big10! Let's get it done!

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2018, 04:38 PM
It's always cool to beat the big10! Let's get it done!

Agree. Their my favorite conference to slaughter

Once the PAC 12/SEC game gets going in Vegas, I'll enjoy kicking their ass as well.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Agree. Their my favorite conference to slaughter

Once the PAC 12/SEC game gets going in Vegas, I'll enjoy kicking their ass as well.

Right there with ya!

DawgNamedScuba
12-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Shotgun, ill see you at the blackjack table!

Jack Lambert
12-02-2018, 04:47 PM
We'd not worthy but A&M is*******

wild_dawg
12-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Heading down there with the family, can't wait! Bloomin' Onions for all

Jack Lambert
12-02-2018, 04:50 PM
The only bad part about that bowl is we are the visiting team and will be in the Sun sitting on the East side. However maybe they will wear those bad ass gray uniforms.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2018, 04:55 PM
The only bad part about that bowl is we are the visiting team and will be in the Sun sitting on the East side. However maybe they will wear those bad ass gray uniforms.

Its an 11 AM game, so that may mean warmth

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Nice bowl and well deserved!

I'm definitely planning on going.

I've always wondered what a Bloomin' Onion tasted like.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Thank you SEC! Did right by MSU for once.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Ready to kick some big10 butt!

Turfdawg67
12-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Wasn't there a Liberty bowl bet with Rez and 7?

BeardoMSU
12-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Ready to kick some big10 butt!

We gonna shove a bloomin' onion up their ass.**

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Perusing the southern miss north message boards and the fans are not at all excited. The outback bowl is their version of the gator for us. Hopefully, that carries over to their team and they all show up with a don't care attitude.

Pit Bull
12-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Battle of the Ag Schools!

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 05:32 PM
We gonna shove a bloomin' onion up their ass.**

Ouch! Lol

Really Clark?
12-02-2018, 06:15 PM
For info, Iowa’s best offensive player, the TE, is sitting out the bowl game. Being reported that our draft eligible guys intend to play, as of today

Bully13
12-02-2018, 06:19 PM
For info, Iowa’s best offensive player, the TE, is sitting out the bowl game. Being reported that our draft eligible guys intend to play, as of today

I don't respect players who turn their backs on their teammates. Looks like we will be entering the game much stronger mentally. We should be proud of our players. Iowa should be ashamed of their TE.

Cooterpoot
12-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Iowa should be a W for us.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2018, 07:06 PM
I hate Iowa's style of play. They will burn the clock and shorten the game.

Dawgtini
12-02-2018, 07:09 PM
I hate Iowa's style of play. They will burn the clock and shorten the game.
Only if they can get first downs.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Only if they can get first downs.

True.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 07:34 PM
They like to run and they won't be able to run on us. I think our defense totally dominates them and it could get ugly for Iowa.

BeardoMSU
12-02-2018, 07:38 PM
They like to run and they won't be able to run on us. I think our defense totally dominates them and it could get ugly for Iowa.

https://media.giphy.com/media/7uzjPDyJTOMZW/giphy.gif

dantheman4248
12-02-2018, 07:44 PM
I don't respect players who turn their backs on their teammates. Looks like we will be entering the game much stronger mentally. We should be proud of our players. Iowa should be ashamed of their TE.

lol this is such a stupid notion to have. He went to college to get trained to do a job. Playing in that game can only negatively affect him (look at Jake Butt a few years ago). He’s making a smart business decision.

Ashamed? The kid came and competed all season. Worked to reach his dream. One play can change that. Would you risk your new luxurious high paying job for a two week notice at a shit job that could injure you and take away that new job? Hell ****ing no.

Jack Lambert
12-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Gonna be a low scoring game

Their score will be low. We score 30 plus. They may not like hearing it but we will have way more talent on the field.

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Their score will be low. We score 30 plus. They may not like hearing it but we will have way more talent on the field.

By a large margin too. If we show up to play it will be ugly.

ETA: I'm thinking Gator Bowl 2010 ugly.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2018, 08:16 PM

I watched a lot of Iowa this year- for gambling purposes. They are a very solid football team. 8-4 was about as bad as they could be. Had a great chance to win in all 4 of their losses.

Political Hack
12-02-2018, 08:21 PM

It's a business decision to save his body for his profession. I don't like it, but I'd never fault a young athlete for doing what's best for himself as he's preparing to enter the workforce.

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 08:21 PM
I watched a lot of Iowa this year- for gambling purposes. They are a very solid football team. 8-4 was about as bad as they could be. Had a great chance to win in all 4 of their losses.

Lessee ... Wisky, PSU, Purdue, and Northwestern. I personally ain't impressed with that but then folks could say the same to some extent about us too. A lot depends on whether our offense shows up or not.

msstate7
12-02-2018, 08:26 PM
S&P+ has Iowa defense at #21. We've faced 4 top 25 defenses (bama, LSU, auburn, and Kentucky) and we've scored 33 points (8.3 per game). This will be a good test for our offense.

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 08:31 PM
Time to see if we've made any progress from an offensive standpoint then.

ETA: They gave up 28 to Wisky, 30 to PSU, 38 to Purdue, and 14 to NW. I'm still not impressed.

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 09:04 PM
I'm much more worried about their defense than their offense.

Nick is going to have to make some throws for us to win. I'm expecting it to be low scoring.

Todd4State
12-02-2018, 09:06 PM
It's a business decision to save his body for his profession. I don't like it, but I'd never fault a young athlete for doing what's best for himself as he's preparing to enter the workforce.

As far as business decisions go I think there are benefits to playing in bowl games as well.

If it were me, I would probably have a rule where if you don't participate in the bowl you don't get the bowl swag or get to do any of the other bowl stuff.

IOA
12-02-2018, 09:07 PM

I believe you could possibly be thninking of the Lil' brother University, Iowa State, MSU will not be playing ISU which is a University of Science and Technology.
The University of Iowa, Home Of The Iowa Hawkeyes is the flagship public research university in Iowa City, Iowa. :rolleyes:

Political Hack
12-02-2018, 09:09 PM
As far as business decisions go I think there are benefits to playing in bowl games as well.

If it were me, I would probably have a rule where if you don't participate in the bowl you don't get the bowl swag or get to do any of the other bowl stuff.

Absolutely agree with that. Play or you don't get the benefits.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2018, 09:10 PM
I believe you could possibly be thninking of the Lil' brother University, Iowa State, MSU will not be playing ISU which is a University of Science and Technology.
The University of Iowa, Home Of The Iowa Hawkeyes is the flagship public research university in Iowa City, Iowa. :rolleyes:

So you are the Ole Miss of Iowa then. Speaks well for you.

Bully13
12-02-2018, 09:13 PM

He's a **** whose gonna sit back and watch his teammates get destroyed. 17 him and hail state. Simmons sweat and a few others on our team have loyalty and balls.

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 09:16 PM

Sitting in the sun might be a blessing in January, even in Orlando.

By "gray uniforms", do you mean the ones we wore in the Egg Bowl? Didn't we also wear those in the loss to Kentucky? But I agree, they look sharp. Almost as good as maroon/gray.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2018, 09:18 PM
He's a **** whose gonna sit back and watch his teammates get destroyed. 17 him and hail state. Simmons sweat and a few others on our team have loyalty and balls.

If Simmons changed his mind tonight he wouldn't be any less loyal or have any less balls.

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Nice bowl and well deserved!

I'm definitely planning on going.

I've always wondered what a Bloomin' Onion tasted like.

They're really good, but a definite cholesterol and fat bomb - almost an instant heart attack. But they taste so good you'll eat the whole thing.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 09:24 PM
For info, Iowa?s best offensive player, the TE, is sitting out the bowl game. Being reported that our draft eligible guys intend to play, as of today

The "other TE" is a 1st Team All-Big Ten player and just won the Ozzie Newsome Award and is also a finalist for the Mackey Award. He's a 6-5 255lb sophomore. Actually, both TE's were 1st team All Big 10 but Hockensen got the majority of the snaps this year. He's a better blocker and pretty dangerous downfield. Fant is a freakish athlete who will test well at the combine. 41" vertical leap type of guy.

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Perusing the southern miss north message boards and the fans are not at all excited. The outback bowl is their version of the gator for us. Hopefully, that carries over to their team and they all show up with a don't care attitude.

Why is that? They don't exactly have a stellar bowl record. After having looked it up, they had a recent Rose Bowl but lost it in style to Stanford, and it looks like they've lost most of their other bowl games in the 21st Century. Maybe I don't keep up with them much, but I never really think of them in the same breath as Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State.

One of the guys I play golf with is originally from Iowa. We'll have to get a little bet going on the game. And one of my roommates at MSU back in the dark ages was from Iowa, but he went into the Air Force so we've totally lost touch.

msstate7
12-02-2018, 09:27 PM
The "other TE" is a 1st Team All-Big Ten player and just won the Ozzie Newsome Award and is also a finalist for the Mackey Award. He's a 6-5 255lb sophomore. Actually, both TE's were 1st team All Big 10 but Hockensen got the majority of the snaps this year. He's a better blocker and pretty dangerous downfield. Fant is a freakish athlete who will test well at the combine. 41" vertical leap type of guy.

God, I hate us facing good TEs.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 09:30 PM

Iowa State (ISU) is the land grant school in Iowa with the agronomy, vet med, dairy, beef, swine, ag biz admin etc. programs. Iowa has the medical school, law school and so on.

Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland are the land grant Big10 schools, much like Miss State.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 09:36 PM
Iowa hasn't lost to Michigan much lately. Pretty even with MSU but we've laid some eggs in recent bowl games. Early in Kirk's tenure Iowa beat Florida, LSU, South Carolina and should have beaten Florida a 2nd time. Iowa's been up and down as of the last few years but always seems to put a fair number of guys in the NFL. Consistent QB play and being one dimensional on offense have been Iowa's weakness over the last few years. They just haven't put it all together, but when they do, they're tough to beat. This year's team lacks senior leadership (young team) and that has hurt them in close games. The defense is pretty good, especially in the secondary and DL. We have 3 DE's that will make an NFL roster in the future and our LBs are young, we lost two from the '17 team that are on NFL rosters but they're mobile and will hit. The secondary is pretty deep and disciplined but had a couple bad outings, including the Purdue game in with a true FR corner got torched for a couple long TDs.

FlickShagwellthe1st
12-02-2018, 09:39 PM
`

RougeDawg
12-02-2018, 09:42 PM
S&P+ has Iowa defense at #21. We've faced 4 top 25 defenses (bama, LSU, auburn, and Kentucky) and we've scored 33 points (8.3 per game). This will be a good test for our offense.

We saw how great those Big 10 defenses were when Michigan got demolished. The style of football up there gets steam rolled by our style. We out physical people and our offense last 4 games is 4-5 times better than the first 8 games.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 09:46 PM
We're better than Michigan on defense, especially on the edges. Michigan got demolished by an OSU team that's probably the fastest in the country. They're just a schizo team and don't always show up but when they're on, they are tough to stop. OSU reminds me of Oklahoma with a better (but undisciplined) defense.

LC Dawg
12-02-2018, 09:55 PM

I heard Fant is being held out because of a discount on tires.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 09:56 PM
We saw how great those Big 10 defenses were when Michigan got demolished. The style of football up there gets steam rolled by our style. We out physical people and our offense last 4 games is 4-5 times better than the first 8 games.

This. We are better on both los and our defensive speed will be tough on the ol Hawkeyes.

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 10:13 PM
God, I hate us facing good TEs.

Why? This ain't the 2014 D. And that happened only because we were down 2 safeties.

Don't remember a TE wearing us out this year. If our D ain't lollygaggin and enjoying the beach & the girls, we'll be ok.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Why? This ain't the 2014 D. And that happened only because we were down 2 safeties.

Don't remember a TE wearing us out this year. If our D ain't lollygaggin and enjoying the beach & the girls, we'll be ok.

Correct different dc different defense. No te or wrs have done anything of note against our secondary.

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 10:16 PM

I'm still a little concerned with our offense and also hope the D don't take them lightly. Don't want a quick TD or 2 before Shoop settles them down.

msstate7
12-02-2018, 10:17 PM

We've only faced 2 good TEs this season. Sternberger, we held down quite nicely... 2 catches 13 yards. Irv smith got us pretty good... 5 catches 70 yards.

dawgday166
12-02-2018, 10:20 PM
We've only faced 2 good TEs this season. Sternberger, we held down quite nicely... 2 catches 13 yards. Irv smith got us pretty good... 5 catches 70 yards.

I didn't remember Smith getting us that good but ... we were kinda focusing on three 5* WRs too at the time. I like our D against anyone if they come focused and ready to play. Anyone.

ETA: Saban wishes he had our D. If so Ga only scores 14 max and we don't have to tackle them by their facemask to get them down either.

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 10:22 PM

True, but if you have a several million dollar future in the NFL, a little bowl swag may not mean a lot, financially. I'd rather see them play, but I can understand if they choose not to play. I've seen some that back off their entire senior year. And remember Colt McCoy's father basically pulling him out of the national championship game with Alabama a few years ago?

Bully13
12-02-2018, 10:23 PM
I'm worried/ surprised we are only 4 point favorites

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 10:25 PM

It's OK. We all know who we're playing. It's sort of an inside joke I suppose, because ESPN especially, and many other media members, seem to get us confused with the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), so we tend to just pass the confusion around a bit. This afternoon at the women's basketball game with Texas, one of the announcers even referred to us as Southern Miss.

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Iowa State (ISU) is the land grant school in Iowa with the agronomy, vet med, dairy, beef, swine, ag biz admin etc. programs. Iowa has the medical school, law school and so on.

Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland are the land grant Big10 schools, much like Miss State.

Which is the primary engineering school?

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 10:40 PM
Iowa State. Iowa has engineering but ISU is where the primary civil, mechanical, chemical engineering programs are. Iowa is where the law, medicine, actuarial sciences, astronomy, business/finance/mba, speech pathology, audiology, nursing and dental schools are located. The Writer's Workshop is one of the best in the country.

Jarius
12-02-2018, 10:40 PM

That is a horrible idea. The reason these guys are not playing is because they are good enough to be NFL stars. Those are not the type of people that you want to alienate right before they become millionaires. They can do a lot for your program going forward. Treat them right. Do not cut off your nose to spite your face.

RocketDawg
12-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Iowa State. Iowa has engineering but ISU is where the primary civil, mechanical, chemical engineering programs are. Iowa is where the law, medicine, actuarial sciences, astronomy, business/finance/mba, speech pathology, audiology, nursing and dental schools are located. The Writer's Workshop is one of the best in the country.

Thanks. MSU is the primary engineering school in Mississippi, but Ole Miss has a small (?) one. We have a pretty big business/finance college unless I'm mistaken, as well as education and nursing.

Iowa City is also the headquarters for the ACT college entrance testing if I'm not mistaken. Many years ago, I remember taking a yearly standardized test in high school called the ITED ... Iowa Test of Educational Development. I'm not sure if it still exists or not.

Recreationalgynecologist
12-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Thanks. MSU is the primary engineering school in Mississippi, but Ole Miss has a small (?) one. We have a pretty big business/finance college unless I'm mistaken, as well as education and nursing.

Iowa City is also the headquarters for the ACT college entrance testing if I'm not mistaken. Many years ago, I remember taking a yearly standardized test in high school called the ITED ... Iowa Test of Educational Development. I'm not sure if it still exists or not.

Yea, there's a school of education at each of the three state universities and several of the private schools as well. Iowa likely has the more well-established graduate programs in education and administration.

The ITED is still around as well as the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. (or Iowa Assessments) The ACT is a pretty decent sized employer in Iowa City, so they seem to be doing well. Iowa and ISU are fairly different culturally, which is a given with fundamental differences in program emphasis, which is reflected in the student body. ISU has a slightly larger undergraduate enrollment with a higher percentage of in-state students. ISU likely has the stronger Greek system as well, which isn't surprising. The land grant schools in the Big 10 and midwest tend to be more Greek oriented while the others aren't so much. ISU is in a more rural setting, so that Greeks tend to fill the social void there. Iowa typically draws from a larger pool nationwide (and Chicago) and has a higher graduate enrollment. The University Hospitals & Clinics seem to contain a big chunk of that number.