PDA

View Full Version : New Playoff Scenario

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-02-2018, 12:46 PM
The playoff committee is not a good thing. Even though the committee claims not to be biased, it's simply not possible because they are human. This year, just like many in the past, some teams are going to be left out because they simply don't pass the eye test with the committee.

I wish the college playoff was more like the NFL in the fact that there is no debate about who gets in the playoff. Here is how to do it:

(Disclaimer: I know this wouldn't happen due to TV contracts, Conference history etc.)

The first step is to dissolve the Big 12. Take those 10 teams and split them up based on geographic locations into the other 4 conferences. Make each of the 4 remaining conferences have 20 teams each. The dismantling of the Big 12 would not fill in all of these spots, so fill the rest with the upper tier group of 5 teams. UCF, Memphis, Boise, etc.

Continue to play 12 games a year. 10 conference games, and 2 non conference (rotate conferences against one another every year). Have 3 or 4 all time opponents to try to preserves some of the old rivalries, and then rotate all other teams in the conference every season.

Conference Champion, and conference runner up get in an 8 team playoff no matter what. Does a favorable schedule play a part in this? Yes-but at least it would be somewhat fair. There would be bitching about this team is better than that team etc but at least the process would be fair across the board. It would not be a group just talking about who is better. It would also give the lower levels teams like UCF a legitimate chance to make the playoff.

Thoughts?

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2018, 01:05 PM
I just wish they'd bring back the RPI, but top 4 get in instead of top 2.

maroonmania
12-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Preventing 2 SEC teams from getting in is exactly why the other conferences would only go along with the 4 team playoff if it was accompanied by a CFP committee. They wanted the political pressure to affect the selections. A BCS computer this year would absolutely have Georgia in the top 4. Last year 2 SEC teams got in but it was much more clear cut that 2 should be in.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Id rather have the computer determine the top 4 like in the BCS.

I think the committee is just horrible

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2018, 01:23 PM

BCS is what I meant. I'm mixing football and basketball.

Johnson85
12-02-2018, 01:29 PM

The BCS really did as good a job as possible. If the BCS were in place now, I suspect UGA would be ranked third. I don't have a problem with them not being in, but the playoff committee can't claim they're putting in the four best or four most deserving teams.