PDA

View Full Version : So if Oklahoma wins does Texas go to the Alamo Bowl like TCU last year?

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Is that their version of the Citrus Bowl?

Oklahoma made the playoffs last year and TCU was almost in the exact same ranking as Texas. That may be all we need to keep LSU in the NY6.

msstate7
12-01-2018, 03:06 PM
If Oklahoma wins and gets in playoffs, Texas will be in sugar. Last year, sugar was playoff

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2018, 03:44 PM
If Oklahoma wins and gets in playoffs, Texas will be in sugar. Last year, sugar was playoff

So whatever conference is scheduled with the playoff bowl gets screwed out of a spot? That doesn't make sense.

Todd4State
12-01-2018, 03:47 PM
So whatever conference is scheduled with the playoff bowl gets screwed out of a spot? That doesn't make sense.

Texas won't make that jump unless they win.

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Just wanted to make sure I understood everything. So TCU was left out of the NY6 only because the playoff was in the Sugar Bowl instead of a different bowl so the Big 12 could be completely left out if they didn't have Oklahoma in the playoff last year? I thought those were guidelines since the bowl selection committee set the playoffs and the bowls rotated.

msstate7
12-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Sugar bowl will have an sec vs big12 matchup since it isn't playoff. Remember ok state making it to play om?

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2018, 04:01 PM
So the top 12 doesn't actually matter? So last year if Oklahoma hadn't been in the playoff and wasn't as high ranked as the other at large then they wouldn't have made the NY6 because the Sugar was the playoff instead of the regular match up?

msstate7
12-01-2018, 04:05 PM
So the top 12 doesn't actually matter? So last year if Oklahoma hadn't been in the playoff and wasn't as high ranked as the other at large then they wouldn't have made the NY6 because the Sugar was the playoff instead of the regular match up?

Ok st was #16 in 2015

msudawg1200
12-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Just wanted to make sure I understood everything. So TCU was left out of the NY6 only because the playoff was in the Sugar Bowl instead of a different bowl so the Big 12 could be completely left out if they didn't have Oklahoma in the playoff last year? I thought those were guidelines since the bowl selection committee set the playoffs and the bowls rotated.

Yep. If 2014 had fallen like this year we would have played Baylor in the Sugar Bowl.

msstate7
12-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Yep. If 2014 had fallen like this year we would have played Baylor in the Sugar Bowl.

I really should cite you for my posts in this thread. You taught me this #bowlexpert

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2018, 04:13 PM
So according to this Clemson -Pitt doesn't matter because there isn't an ACC automatic bid this year. Clemson either gets in the playoff or falls back into the at large. Pitt can't get in no matter what due to the Orange being a playoff bowl.

Edited to add.
This would suck to win the Championship game and not get into a NY6 game due to your designated bowl being a playoff game.

msudawg1200
12-01-2018, 05:00 PM
I really should cite you for my posts in this thread. You taught me this #bowlexpert

I love bowl season. I can tell you every bowl matchup since 1980, and what bowl every team has played in since then. I also love proving these “bowl experts” wrong when they don’t know how the selection process works.

msudawg1200
12-01-2018, 05:04 PM
So according to this Clemson -Pitt doesn't matter because there isn't an ACC automatic bid this year. Clemson either gets in the playoff or falls back into the at large. Pitt can't get in no matter what due to the Orange being a playoff bowl.

Edited to add.
This would suck to win the Championship game and not get into a NY6 game due to your designated bowl being a playoff game.

Pitt would get in somewhere. The champions of the P5 conferences get an automatic invite to a NY6 Bowl.

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Pitt would get in somewhere. The champions of the P5 conferences get an automatic invite to a NY6 Bowl.

So the playoff poll only seeds the top 4 and after that it doesn't matter? It is going to be weird that a team who might not be in the top 20 could bump out a top 10 team.

Quaoarsking
12-01-2018, 06:00 PM
So the playoff poll only seeds the top 4 and after that it doesn't matter? It is going to be weird that a team who might not be in the top 20 could bump out a top 10 team.

Yeah, but that's how Ole Miss got into the Sugar Bowl in 2015 (and how we would have had we won the Egg Bowl). It's really kinda screwed up - there should be no automatic tie-ins to the non-playoff NY6 bowls, just preferences that they try to work in if the right team is available.