PDA

View Full Version : Dawgs/Rebels 1963

SailingDawg
11-30-2018, 03:49 PM
I was a year old, so I barely remember...

Flying M on twitter just posted that, in the Nov 30, 1963 game, we were #11 and OM was #3. OM was down by 3 and Vaught chose to tie it up to stay undefeated at 7-0-2 sending them to the Sugar Bowl.

What a chickens*it.

What was Vaught's record against MSU?

SailingDawg
11-30-2018, 03:58 PM
From Wikipedia: Vaught went 19–2–4 against the Maroons/Bulldogs during his two separate tenures at Ole Miss.

The series has been more even recently; as of the 2018 season, the past 10 games have been 4–6 (Ole Miss–Mississippi State), 15 games 7–8, 20 games 10–10, and 25 games 12–13.

No wonder they loved him.

SailingDawg
11-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Ok, good talk.

tcdog70
11-30-2018, 04:21 PM
while we were playing Alabama they were substituting Chattanooga and it counted as a SEC game.

RocketDawg
11-30-2018, 04:47 PM
I was a year old, so I barely remember...

Flying M on twitter just posted that, in the Nov 30, 1963 game, we were #11 and OM was #3. OM was down by 3 and Vaught chose to tie it up to stay undefeated at 7-0-2 sending them to the Sugar Bowl.

What a chickens*it.

What was Vaught's record against MSU?

Not sure I blame him, if it meant going to the Sugar Bowl (a huge deal back then). I believe that was the Sugar Bowl played in about 4" of snow in New Orleans. Meridian had 15", more than tripling their old record for a single snowstorm.

I remember absolutely nothing from when I was a year old; I'm surprised you can "barely remember" anything.**

Bully13
11-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Any coincidence the detriment was born that year?

SailingDawg
11-30-2018, 07:06 PM
I remember absolutely nothing from when I was a year old; I'm surprised you can "barely remember" anything.**

I don't even remember Charlie Shira. I guess Bob Tyler was the first coach I recall, with Rockey Felker and Walter Packer.

tcdog70
11-30-2018, 09:02 PM
I don't even remember Charlie Shira. I guess Bob Tyler was the first coach I recall, with Rockey Felker and Walter Packer.

Hell I remember Paul Davis

tcdog70
11-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Not remembering Shira is a blessing.

Todd4State
11-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Not remembering Shira is a blessing.

And we named a building after him. We're the nicest fan base in the SEC.

Anything that he did that was especially bad? Croom-ish on offense and defense? Bad at game management?

Todd4State
11-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Our 1963 team was really good. Ken Donahue was our DC and Bear Bryant hired him away and won a bunch of National Titles with him as his DC.

Also Tom Goode, Tom Neville, Hoyle Granger, and Conn Canale were on that team and played in the NFL. The QB I think was Sonny Fisher and he was the QB at EMCC under Bull Sullivan that was mentioned in Sports Illustrated.

tcdog70
11-30-2018, 10:35 PM
Our 1963 team was really good. Ken Donahue was our DC and Bear Bryant hired him away and won a bunch of National Titles with him as his DC.

Also Tom Goode, Tom Neville, Hoyle Granger, and Conn Canale were on that team and played in the NFL. The QB I think was Sonny Fisher and he was the QB at EMCC under Bull Sullivan that was mentioned in Sports Illustrated.

Well you got something's right. Sonny was from Meridian. Billy Buckner and Don Edwards were QBs from Scooba that played At State.Marcus Rhoden and Ode Burrell also played. We played in the Liberty Bowl in Philly, the last year there. It was freezing, Jack said it was colder than A Pawnbrokers heart. We won, blocked a punt.

FriarsPoint
11-30-2018, 10:48 PM
And we named a building after him. We're the nicest fan base in the SEC.

Anything that he did that was especially bad? Croom-ish on offense and defense? Bad at game management?

He wouldn’t cheat. Shira may have been unsuccessful, but people liked him for a reason. He was a good guy and former assistant when dad played under Warmath. Shira was a good guy that died young and laid the foundation for a Tyler. He integrated the program. That’s reason enough to put his name on a building.

msudawg1200
11-30-2018, 11:01 PM

Johnny Majors was also an assistant coach on that team. He would hire Donahue away from Bama when he became the HC of Tennessee.

Goldendawg
11-30-2018, 11:42 PM
First State/UM game I ever saw. I was 8 years old and it was my late Superdawg,(later), Dad took me. 10 -10 tie. Remember it was really cold and our end zone seats were fenced off from the West and East sides. Dad paid a guy to go get us some coffee and hotdogs. Family has had season tickets now for 50 plus years. For the last 17 years, I have been carrying my now (hardcore State), soon to be 18 year old son. Dad's been gone 26 years now and is still missed. Boy, he loved State and we have many family memories of going to games with him. Raised me right! Hail State!

99jc
12-01-2018, 12:16 AM
Shirts son used to work at oBies is he still there.

BiscuitEater
12-01-2018, 10:19 AM
What a chickens*it.

Grew up in the Vaught era too. Remember my folks coming home from that game. They were down right extatic .. after a TIE. Those were some tough years.

Ole Miss was good BUT Vaught never had the cjones to even play Bama. Had to count UT Chattanooga and Tampa as SEC games some years.

iPat09
12-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Grew up in the Vaught era too. Remember my folks coming home from that game. They were down right extatic .. after a TIE. Those were some tough years.

Ole Miss was good BUT Vaught never had the cjones to even play Bama. Had to count UT Chattanooga and Tampa as SEC games some years.

I know things have changed, but how do you even get away with that?

DancingRabbit
12-01-2018, 12:02 PM

My guess would be a sack of cash.

Todd4State
12-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Totally different era. Ole Miss was a blue blood at that time. Integration affected that program more than any other SEC program.

SailingDawg
12-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Totally different era. Ole Miss was a blue blood at that time. Integration affected that program more than any other SEC program.

Still does.