PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Confusion

msudawg1200
11-29-2018, 11:06 AM
Funny that I went to both the Aggies board and Gamecocks board and all the stuff you hear. Some Ags think they might fall all the way to the Texas or Liberty Bowl. They all want the Citrus Bowl. They never even mentioned the Outback except that we're going. Some Aggie from Florida even said a Gator Bowl official reach out to him and it sounded pretty good that A&M is going to the Gator which most seemed to want if they don't get the Citrus.

The Cocks are all in on the Gator which they don't deserve.They HOPE the Outback picks A&M. Pretty much everybody is clueless about all these rumors.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Hopefully with all the bitching about officiating the SEC home office has gotten this season, not just from Miss schools, they will think maybe we should do what is right. However I am not holding my breath for it..

msbulldog
11-29-2018, 01:18 PM
The TaxSlayer Gator Bowl President Rick Catlett was on 1010 AM Radio on Jacksonville Wednesday and said they will be picking either Texas A&M (8-4, 5-3 SEC) and South Carolina (6-5, 4-4 SEC) to play in their bowl on New Year's Eve.

Pit Bull
11-29-2018, 01:23 PM
After the Citrus, the next group of 6 bowls are all equal. Only the fans are biased in where they want to go. Some want to go here, some there, and some down or up there. There's no such thing as falling back to this bowl or that bowl. I might say I wouldn't want to fall down to the Outback Bowl. That would be simply my preference. And with all the bowl money sharing formulas in the SEC, payouts mean very little. The bowl money is all added up, divided by 16, and the participating team gets 2 sixteenths, the SEC office gets one sixteenth, and the other 13 non participating schools get 1 sixteenth each. So, the payout differences don't really mean a whole lot. Ole Miss will even get one sixteenth of every bowl payout provided the SEC lets them due to their NCAA sanctions. They might get their share delayed for a time and then get it returned to them if they stay on the straight and narrow for X number of years.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2018, 01:38 PM
The TaxSlayer Gator Bowl President Rick Catlett was on 1010 AM Radio on Jacksonville Wednesday and said they will be picking either Texas A&M (8-4, 5-3 SEC) and South Carolina (6-5, 4-4 SEC) to play in their bowl on New Year's Eve.

Yes he did and Catlett has been doing this a long time. He's definitely in the know and I would believe his take over others.

BrunswickDawg
11-29-2018, 01:38 PM
After the Citrus, the next group of 6 bowls are all equal. Only the fans are biased in where they want to go. Some want to go here, some there, and some down or up there. There's no such thing as falling back to this bowl or that bowl. I might say I wouldn't want to fall down to the Outback Bowl. That would be simply my preference. And with all the bowl money sharing formulas in the SEC, payouts mean very little. The bowl money is all added up, divided by 16, and the participating team gets 2 sixteenths, the SEC office gets one sixteenth, and the other 13 non participating schools get 1 sixteenth each. So, the payout differences don't really mean a whole lot. Ole Miss will even get one sixteenth of every bowl payout provided the SEC lets them due to their NCAA sanctions. They might get their share delayed for a time and then get it returned to them if they stay on the straight and narrow for X number of years.

Well, that's not exactly how the revenue sharing works.

Note on the SEC's revenue distribution model: For bowl games with receipts of $4,000,000 ? $5,999,999, the participating team retains $1.5 million, plus a travel allowance determined by SEC. For bowl games with receipts of $6 million or more (including all College Football Playoff games), the participating team receives $2.025 million, plus a travel allowance determined by the SEC. If an SEC team makes it to the championship game, it receives another $2.125 million, plus travel allowance.

So if we go Citrus or Outback the difference in $ and the next tier (Liberty, Belk, Music City, Texas) is only $500k plus a travel allowance based on the SEC bowl revenue sharing formula. Maybe $750k - $1m total? It's really just about the perception of fans and recruits. That's a drop in the bucket of that check we get each year.