PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think About Clay Travis' Scheduling Idea?

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2018, 10:20 AM
I really like this.

Our permanent 3 rivals could be OM, A&M, and KY or LSU? I'd say Alabama or Auburn but they are pretty filled up between Tennessee and Auburn for Bama and Georgia and Bama for Auburn.

What do you think? Makes too much sense for Sankey to figure out.

https://twitter.com/outkick/status/1068104788854824960?s=21

AusTexDawg
11-29-2018, 10:26 AM
The chances of MSU winning a conference championship are better in divisions than with 3 permanent opponents. While it won’t ever be easy, being the best out of the 7 team division (or the likelier solution of being tied for 1st and going to Atlanta) is an easier path to the playoff than being one of the top two teams out of the 14. This is especially the case since there is an elite team in the east now in UGA and Florida could rise to join them if ******* can recruit better than he did at State. The only upside for State of 3 permanent is getting to play other teams more frequently

TrapGame
11-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Might as well. It's Bama and then everybody else right now anyway.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2018, 10:31 AM
The chances of MSU winning a conference championship are better in divisions than with 3 permanent opponents. While it won’t ever be easy, being the best out of the 7 team division (or the likelier solution of being tied for 1st and going to Atlanta) is an easier path to the playoff than being one of the top two teams out of the 14. This is especially the case since there is an elite team in the east now in UGA and Florida could rise to join them if ******* can recruit better than he did at State. The only upside for State of 3 permanent is getting to play other teams more frequently

Imo it depends on if you draw Bama as one of your 3 opponents. An SEC schedule without Bama on makes it much easier to win. UGA ain't Bama.

msudawglb
11-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Most of the teams from the current East division would not like this.

CadaverDawg
11-29-2018, 11:28 AM

I agree with you initially....but in reality the West is so tough compared to the East most years, so avoiding a Bama or LSU for a South Carolina or Vandy some years would be like receiving a gift into the Top of the league race, so I think it might benefit us more than we think. Not to mention the games before and after Bama every year, which that game usually indirectly affects.

Cooterpoot
11-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Who here thinks the SEC would give State and OM easier schedules than AL and GA? Or even LSU and AU. I don't. Bama gets their off dates when they want them. We'd still get Bama every year. We've played them more than anybody else already haven't we?

gtowndawg
11-29-2018, 11:44 AM
We've played them more than anybody else already haven't we?

Yes. So it's time for a break dadgummit.

Pipedream
11-29-2018, 12:00 PM
This isn't Travis's idea, he's co-opting it from this piece https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/14/11895556/sec-football-schedule-format-divisions-rivalries-rotation which also might have co-opted it from someone else.

It's not a new concept. I'd have to see who they stuck us with as our third permanent. Keep us with OM and UK and then any West team not named Bama or LSU which would be pretty simple seeing as how they both have 3 big rivals at the moment (Bama-Aub/LSU/UTk) and (LSU-Bama/OM/A&M). I'd be fine with either Aub or A&M as the 3rd permanent. SB Nation does a good job of guessing the rotations, but it looks a little East/West heavy year to year so I'd like to see everyone play same number of teams from both sides if possible. They have us playing all 6 West teams one year and all 6 east teams the next. Would like to see some variety there. Otherwise, and their data shows this, the schedules are well balanced vs current schedule in regards to difficulty. Would allow for different road trips and more variation year to year.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Who here thinks the SEC would give State and OM easier schedules than AL and GA? Or even LSU and AU. I don't. Bama gets their off dates when they want them. We'd still get Bama every year. We've played them more than anybody else already haven't we?

I think there would be a pretty set rotation. So, yeah, in some years you may get absolutely screwed, but in other years are SEC schedule could be

Ole Miss
Texas A&M
Mizzou
Kentucky
South Carolina
Auburn
Florida
Arkansas.

It's hard to say

Dawgs31
11-29-2018, 12:05 PM
Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi State

Arkansas: Texas A&M, Missouri, Kentucky

Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Vanderbilt

Florida: Georgia, South Carolina, LSU

Georgia: Florida, Auburn, Kentucky

Kentucky: Mississippi State, Georgia, Arkansas

LSU: Florida, Texas A&M, Ole Miss

Mississippi State: Ole Miss, Alabama, Kentucky

Missouri: Texas A&M, Arkansas, South Carolina

Ole Miss: LSU, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

South Carolina: Florida, Tennessee, Missouri

Tennessee: Alabama, Vanderbilt, South Carolina

Texas A&M: LSU, Missouri, Arkansas

Vanderbilt: Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss

Lord McBuckethead
11-29-2018, 12:18 PM
I am sure Kentucky would like that. They wouldn't have to take a beating from UF every year, but then they got stuck with Georgia.

Todd4State
11-29-2018, 01:45 PM
I like it a lot better than what they are doing now. The problem is LT runs the scheduling so anything with creativity.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Most of the teams from the current East division would not like this.

Maybe now but who knows what the future holds. Back in the late 90's the East was much stronger.

Dawg2003
11-29-2018, 02:38 PM
This is what is done in men's basketball. Our permanent opponents are USC, OM, and AL unless something has changed. It's fine for football as long as you don't get stuck playing Bama each year. You're still effed if Bama is your permanent opponent.