PDA

View Full Version : Happy 75th Birthday to The Kang, Jackie Wayne Sherrill!

Commercecomet24
11-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Today is Coach Sherrills 75th Birthday! I'll always be grateful to Coach Sherrill showing us we could compete with and beat the best and for starting a new era in MSU football! Thank you and Happy 75th!

Bully13
11-28-2018, 12:08 PM
I'll never forget those back to back home games I was at. UF & AU. For that brief period I've always thought that was the most dominant "moment " in our modern era. Too bad we didn't keep that momentum to close out.

glad the Kang retired with MSU.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2018, 12:11 PM
I'll never forget those back to back home games I was at. UF & AU. For that brief period I've always thought that was the most dominant "moment " in our modern era. Too bad we didn't keep that momentum to close out.

glad the Kang retired with MSU.

I was at both those games as well. I have fond memories of JWS time at State(I try to block out the last few years cause the turds to the north caused it). Jackie was one of us and will always be. Peggy Sherrill doesn't get enough credit but that lady is True Maroon and loves State!

StarkVegasSteve
11-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Jackie gave us the West in 98 and one of the most magical starts to a season in 99(still don't know how Matthew Butler caught that football), but beyond all that he made us relevant and proud to be Dawgs.

Bully13
11-28-2018, 12:24 PM
JWS always got a bad rap due to going against the grain and pissing off the established powers. He had the audacity to hit Penn state, Texas & shitbird in their mouths. They all were desperate to destroy him.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2018, 12:28 PM
JWS always got a bad rap due to going against the grain and pissing off the established powers. He had the audacity to hit Penn state, Texas & shitbird in their mouths. They all were desperate to destroy him.

That's one of the reasons I loved him so much! He was exactly what we needed! A Coach who would change the status quo and punch back, and he did!

RougeDawg
11-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Jackie is a family friend that used to hang out at my grandparents house in Biloxi. He had a rough childhood and made the most of his opportunities. He definitely changed the MSU football culture for the better and laid the real foundation upon which today?s program is continuing to build on.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Jackie is a family friend that used to hang out at my grandparents house in Biloxi. He had a rough childhood and made the most of his opportunities. He definitely changed the MSU football culture for the better and laid the real foundation upon which today?s program is continuing to build on.

Jackie needs a statue outside DWS. Sure would like to see it go up while he's still around.

RougeDawg
11-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Jackie needs a statue outside DWS. Sure would like to see it go up while he's still around.

No doubt. How do we start this effort?

Commercecomet24
11-28-2018, 12:40 PM
No doubt. How do we start this effort?

Good question. I would be willing to contribute.

msbulldog
11-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Yeah and I enjoyed every damn minute of it, thank-you Coach. Happy Birthday, your the greatest.

drunkernhelldawg
11-28-2018, 04:21 PM
If we're going to erect statues, we need to start with our Orange Bowl team (1941). MSU football has one of the longest histories in the NCAA.

Happy Birthday Coach Sherrill!

3rdGen
11-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Happy Birthday Coach!

Goldendawg
11-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Happy Birthday to Coach Sherrill! Still got pictures of him holding by then less than 3 month old son at his 1st summer Bulldog meeting in Corinth. Also a picture of him at about one with his autographed MSU cap, (still have the cap also).. Anyone have Coach Sherrill's mailing address? I have a perfect condition program from the first game he coached at State and would love to mail it to him, if he doesn't have one. Hail to the Kang and Hail State!

Goldendawg
11-28-2018, 07:06 PM
That's one of the reasons I loved him so much! He was exactly what we needed! A Coach who would change the status quo and punch back, and he did!

Got my family to the title game in '98. Will always be my favorite MSU coach!