PDA

View Full Version : Willie Gay

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:10 PM
Just think it's absurd that Willie Gay was ejected from a football game the other night for spinning a football.

That's all he did.

The number mix ups by the refs aside, I'm not sure I've ever seen a cheaper ejection in any sport than what happened with Willie Gay the other night.

It's the logistical problem with calling a personal foul on everyone. For the guy that received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (which I believe was the correct call) earlier in the game, calling a personal foul on both teams is wrong.

The entire episode IMO was caused by lack of attention to detail & lackadaisical laziness by the refs. I don't care if it would've taken 15 minutes to figure out who was all involved & who was not, you simply can't eject players that did nothing & a player who received an unsportsmanlike conduct foul earlier in the game for spinning a damn football.

While much of what happened will go unanalyzed due to game result not being effected, there were a number of procedural errors in the way the refs handled that situation that could've been disastrous for both teams had the game been close.

That's what bothers me most about the SEC refs. Along with the illegal formation in the A&M/LSU game, the non-fumble review at Bama, the block in the back call, missed off sides vs Bama, clock running out vs OM in 3rd quarter, etc, many of the big mistakes we are seeing by SEC refs aren't judgment calls (holding, PI, etc,) they are procedural, clerical mistakes that indicate an extremely flawed process & a lack of accountability.

Rant over

Turfdawg67
11-26-2018, 10:18 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/3wJX8qTY/88-B98-A27-F3-BF-473-A-93-B9-75452653738-C.gif

I get you're trying to create content, but Gay's ejection was purely by the book dude. Nothing controversial at all. You wanna bitch about Dantzler, I'm all yours!

Rick Danko
11-26-2018, 10:21 PM
Got dang dude, get over it.... we get it, you want all SEC refs to be suspended and Steve Shaw fired. We know, we know..... nothing is going to happen

Bubb Rubb
11-26-2018, 10:23 PM
They didn't call a personal foul on all players because they were being lazy. They did it to send a message to everyone that any more nonsense was going to get you ejected. It was the right thing to do in that moment to try and get control of the situation. I would equate it to an umpire warning both benches after a HBP in baseball.

That Willie Gay took an ejection for it was unfortunate, but he shouldn't have spun the football anyway. He knows better than that and it cost us 15 yards on the positive side of the field. It was stupid.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Got dang dude, get over it.... we get it, you want all SEC refs to be suspended and Steve Shaw fired. We know, we know..... nothing is going to happen

Just making the point that these dudes may not be bad officials but rather receive atrocious training and aren't held to any standard.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2018, 10:30 PM
They didn't call a personal foul on all players because they were being lazy. They did it to send a message to everyone that any more nonsense was going to get you ejected. It was the right thing to do in that moment to try and get control of the situation. I would equate it to an umpire warning both benches after a HBP in baseball.

That Willie Gay took an ejection for it was unfortunate, but he shouldn't have spun the football anyway. He knows better than that and it cost us 15 yards on the positive side of the field. It was stupid.

- First off, the refs don't have to send any message like that because they already have the latitude to eject any player they choose. If someone were fighting, they can throw them out regardless if they already had an personal foul.

- Willie would agree with you that he should've never spun the ball, but that doesn't equal an ejection ever, in a million years. I realize he was collateral damage, but it wasn't right.

Turfdawg67
11-26-2018, 10:36 PM
Rest my case, as usual.

Tbaen
11-26-2018, 10:38 PM
When Gay was ejected, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Oh hell, JoMo better send 11 guys back to the locker room for safe keeping because Luke is liable to have his scrubs start another brawl and one more unsportsmanlike on the whole bench and we will forfeit!"

Far fetched, perhaps, but at that point it was their only hope. I bet they wished they'd had a fatalistic State fan on the payroll to give them the notion.

Turfdawg67
11-26-2018, 11:00 PM
When Gay was ejected, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Oh hell, JoMo better send 11 guys back to the locker room for safe keeping because Luke is liable to have his scrubs start another brawl and one more unsportsmanlike on the whole bench and we will forfeit!"

Far fetched, perhaps, but at that point it was their only hope. I bet they wished they'd had a fatalistic State fan on the payroll to give them the notion.

Huh?? Gay was flagged for spinning the ball after a turnover (silly... but the rules) then there was a blanket "unsportsmanlike penalty against every player" so Gay is gone. Period.

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2018, 11:21 PM
He didnt have to spin the ball like that. That is a flag more times than its not.

Had he just ran off and gotten the dawg collar with his teammates he wouldnt have to sit a half of the bowl.

And I love Willie. He shouldve been starting from the first game this year and he will play on sundays. But that was stupid

PCHSDawg
11-26-2018, 11:58 PM
He didnt have to spin the ball like that. That is a flag more times than its not.

Had he just ran off and gotten the dawg collar with his teammates he wouldnt have to sit a half of the bowl.

And I love Willie. He shouldve been starting from the first game this year and he will play on sundays. But that was stupidAccording to SEC no one is sitting for the bowl.

dantheman4248
11-27-2018, 04:03 AM
The rule is the rule. The officials followed it to the letter. Their problem was identifying the culprit for the right teams.

If you want something changed, how about change the wording to be “all players involved in the game are now escalated to having 1 personal foul.”

That way no one gets ejected wrongly BUT it does the job of deterring any further unsportsmanlike actions and clamps down on future fighting.

RiverCityDawg
11-27-2018, 06:45 AM
Huh?? Gay was flagged for spinning the ball after a turnover (silly... but the rules) then there was a blanket "unsportsmanlike penalty against every player" so Gay is gone. Period.

His point was that since everyone had one unsportsmanlike penalty, ole miss would have been better off starting another brawl to try and get everyone a second foul. What would have happened then? Game over and the score is what it is at that time? Both teams forfeit? I honestly don't know but it couldn't have been worse for ole miss than what was happening to them on the field.

basedog
11-27-2018, 07:42 AM
Shotgun, take a break. Rest up as I know your fingers have to be tired from a long season. We all get the Sec sucks, why ask again?