PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA QB Commits 10.18.13

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2013, 03:10 PM
This week, Nick Fitzgerald and Richmond Hill (6-0, 3-0) travel to the bustling metropolis of Waycross to face the Ware County Gators (6-1, 4-0) who are ranked #10 in Georgia AAAAA Football. This is it, the big one. A road test against a top 10 team that will more than likely decide the region champion. If it wasn't Glynn Academy homecoming (and the associated parenting duties that come along with that when you have a HS student in the house), I'd make the drive to the heart of the Okefenokee Swamp to see this match up.

Ware County has developed into a real power over the past few years. They grow lineman like cypress trees in those swampy waters, and Coach Ed Dudley has figured out how to use them. After deep playoff runs in 2010 and 2011, the Gators lost in the State Championship Game in 2012 to Gainesville. Good news - Ware is coming off a familiar "let down" win vs. Glynn Academy - having survived 21-19 by stuffing a last minute 2 point conversion attempt that would have sent the game to OT. Bad news - they were off last week after that let down win and have had 2 weeks to prepare for Richmond Hill. Richmond Hill is 6-0 for the first time ever, and I think Nick continues to thrive in the clutch and leads the Wildcats to a huge win on the road. Nice preview here: http://www.bryancountynews.net/section/97/article/29316/

For Dawg61 - the Wheeler Wildcats (2-4, 0-3) face their bitter rival the Walton Raiders (3-3, 2-1). I don't like Walton. They were the Ole Miss of Cobb County High Schools in my high school days. Their redeeming quality is that they did give us the Black Crowes. Walton is led by running back KK Brooks, a sophomore with 779 yards rushing and 9 TDs. Walton typically has a pretty stingy D, and I would expect them to contain the Wheeler attack. Wheeler plays in a tough region, and without Elijah, I don't think they have a chance at a big run to end the season.

trob115
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the write up. Seems like Wheeler's wheels have fallen off since Elijah isn't playing Qb for them anymore. I bet that coach is having major second thoughts.

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Richmond Hill is getting manhandled by Ware 34-10 in 4th. Wheeler is up on Walton 21-14.

Remind me never to make predictions in my previews again!

Dawg61
10-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Haha thanks for the write up

Goat Holder
10-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I just realized Richmond Hill is way the f*ck over on the east coast. By you, I guess. How did our coaches find that guy?

bully99
10-18-2013, 09:59 PM
There's a interview with rosebowl on 6 pack. He said he came to bigdog camp this summer.

BrunswickDawg
10-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Richmond Hill looses 34-17, and Walton beats Wheeler in OT.

Yeah Goat - Richmond Hill is about 30 miles down I-95 from Savannah, so it does seem a little out of the MSU zone. The local ESPN affiliate was talking about Nick on my way home from work this afternoon and talked about how surprised they had been by his speed and athleticism when they saw him against Glynn Academy. They then mentioned that he led the region in receiving last season before moving to QB full time this year. Knowing that, maybe it was Brewster???

Either way, from what I saw he is the real deal. Raw on passing, but a helluva athlete.

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Not Nick's night - 75 yards on the ground and a TD; 1 completion for 14 yards. Two key turnovers were the difference. You can read here:
http://savannahnow.com/sports/2013-10-18/ware-knocks-richmond-hill#.UmJ2dY29Kc0

Political Hack
10-19-2013, 07:27 AM
ouch. Well, there's some comfort there knowing he's going to find the field in Starkville at one spot or another being such a great athlete.

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Good news is Nick's final three games should be pretty easy, and the are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot. That will keep him playing into December - so only a few weeks off between high school and getting into the workout program at State.

Duckdawg
10-19-2013, 08:53 AM
What happened to Staley?