PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bourbon wish list

shannondawg
11-26-2018, 12:18 PM
I want to give several friends bottle of very good bourbon.

I've been told that Bookers is one of the top bourbons? Any other suggestions?

I was a scotch man and I either preferred Scoresby which in comparison very cheap, or Black Label , but both had similar taste. would walk over a bottle of single malt for either one of the two.

Coursesuper
11-26-2018, 12:22 PM

I was a scotch man and I either preferred Scoresby which in comparison very cheap, or Black Label , but both had similar taste. would walk over a bottle of single malt for either one of the two.

I am normally a Hudson's Baby Bourbon drinker but I tried Old Soul this past week and it is outstanding. Very similar to Old Forrester Statesman with a little more depth to it. Well worth a try.

Political Hack
11-26-2018, 12:22 PM
I like Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve. Both very reasonable cost wise. If you're looking to spend more nobody is going to complain about a bottle of Glenn Morangie 18 single malt though (usually about $100).

DCdawg
11-26-2018, 12:30 PM
I am normally a Hudson's Baby Bourbon drinker but I tried Old Soul this past week and it is outstanding. Very similar to Old Forrester Statesman with a little more depth to it. Well worth a try.

Glad you mentioned Old Soul. I clicked on this thread specifically to see if anyone had tried it. I'll probably pick up a bottle as a gift.

reno hightower
11-26-2018, 12:32 PM

I love colonel taylor small batch (drank during egg bowl)
Weller 12 or 107 antique
Willet
Of course blantons and collecting the little race horse tops is fun

I love bourbon!

Liverpooldawg
11-26-2018, 12:34 PM
Blanton's

Cooterpoot
11-26-2018, 12:35 PM
I want to be your friend.

msstatelp1
11-26-2018, 12:41 PM
I like Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve. Both very reasonable cost wise. If you're looking to spend more nobody is going to complain about a bottle of Glenn Morangie 18 single malt though (usually about $100).

Second the Hayden

fishwater99
11-26-2018, 12:50 PM
For the money get you some Weller's Special Reserve.

Johnson85
11-26-2018, 12:50 PM
What is very good?

Probably somewhat below the level you're thinking, but I like Jefferson's.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2018, 12:53 PM
So far on this thread, Blantons is the best IMO. Much harder to find these days though. Four Roses Single Barrell is outstanding. Weller 12 year can’t be beat regardless of price but impossible to find.

biscuit
11-26-2018, 12:56 PM
If you are around memphis, Blue Note is a locally distilled spirit and it is dam fine

Howboutdemdogs
11-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Basil Hayden = Smooth!

Tbonewannabe
11-26-2018, 01:07 PM
I love colonel taylor small batch (drank during egg bowl)
Weller 12 or 107 antique
Willet
Of course blantons and collecting the little race horse tops is fun

I love bourbon!

Just in case anyone didn't know, the horses are at various stages of running. Each has a letter that spells out Blantons and you can email them and send in your tops and they put it on a barrel stave for you for free. You have to have all of the various tops and there are two separate Ns.

I also love Blanton's

BeardoMSU
11-26-2018, 01:11 PM
Blanton's
Basil Haden's
Jefferson Reserve
W.L. Weller Special Reserve
W.L. Weller Antique
W.L. Weller 12 Year
Elmer T. Lee
Eagle Rare
Dickle Single Barrel

reno hightower
11-26-2018, 01:20 PM
So far on this thread, Blantons is the best IMO. Much harder to find these days though. Four Roses Single Barrell is outstanding. Weller 12 year can’t be beat regardless of price but impossible to find.

Stanley's Liquor off State Street in Jackson usually has it all. Sneaky good place for bourbon--

1bigdawg
11-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Second the Hayden

Noah’s Mill is a great bourbon. It is very reasonable and I would pay twice as much. Every bourbon drinker I have shared it with has switched.

shannondawg
11-26-2018, 01:50 PM
A lot of rich folk on this board. I’ll take the list with me. Probably Franks in West Point or one of the stork res in Tupelo

Prediction? Pain.
11-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Lots of good advice in this thread. Nothing better than a nice bottle of whisky for Christmas gift, so good for you, shannondawg.

Here are five that I'm never disappointed with and seem to appeal to most whisky fans I know:

Basil Hayden
Blanton's
George Dickel Barrel Select
Eagle Rare
Weller

That covers you from highish-rye bourbon (Basil Hayden and Blanton's), lowish-rye bourbon, (Eagle Rare), wheated bourbon (Weller), and Tennessee Whisky (Dickel).

Of those, I'd probably be most excited about getting Blanton's. Not because it's my favorite, but because it's more expensive than the whiskies I purchase for regular drinking. After that, Eagle Rare and Weller. Closer to Basil Hayden than Blanton's pricewise, but they're hard as hell to find (especially Weller), at least in my area.

Dickel Barrel Select is approaching not-pricey-enough-to impress territory in some places. (It's $32 at my go-to store.) But it's damn good. Smooth and complex and consistently solid. Stellar blend of 12-to-14-year-old whisky. Dickel's Single Barrel whisky can be amazing, too, and probably has a higher ceiling. But in my limited experience with the stuff -- I shared a barrel in 2017 and another in 2018 -- it's profile is all over the map.

Basil Hayden is, as others have said, smooth. First fancy bourbon I ever had. May be a tad overpriced (usually at ~$40 in my area), but it's always nice.

Happy shopping.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Stanley's Liquor off State Street in Jackson usually has it all. Sneaky good place for bourbon--

They won’t have Weller 12 year. I know collectors that can’t even get it. Every single store in America that actually gets it, has a waiting list with their preferred customers on it. Get on the list if u can. It’s only about $45 but sells for $150 on the black market. Closest thing to Pappys you can get.

SpeckleDawg
11-26-2018, 02:54 PM
My favorites that aren't hard to find or terribly pricey:
Blanton's
Woodford Reserve
Basil Hayden
Eagle Rare

I seen it dawg
11-26-2018, 03:25 PM
They won’t have Weller 12 year. I know collectors that can’t even get it. Every single store in America that actually gets it, has a waiting list with their preferred customers on it. Get on the list if u can. It’s only about $45 but sells for $150 on the black market. Closest thing to Pappys you can get.

It is actually the liquid of Pappy. Weller is the best to me. Elmer T right behind it.

Prediction? Pain.
11-26-2018, 03:51 PM
How frequently are y'all seeing Elmer T. Lee? And how much are you paying for it? I've been looking for the stuff for years in Chattanooga (and surrounding cities when I remember to check) and I've not come across it a single time.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2018, 07:11 PM
It is actually the liquid of Pappy. Weller is the best to me. Elmer T right behind it.

I’ve never had the opportunity to try Pappys yet, so the Weller 12 is the best I’ve ever tasted. I’m pissed I have to ration what little I have. I have a bottle coming my way but it took forever to secure it. Now I’m having trouble finding Blantons too!!!

DownwardDawg
11-26-2018, 07:13 PM
My favorites that aren't hard to find or terribly pricey:
Blanton's
Woodford Reserve
Basil Hayden
Eagle Rare

Eagle Rare is tough be beat for the price and it’s ready available. I actually like Buffalo Trace also. It’s pretty much my go to now. Good, cheap, and easy to find.